Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: How to Find Inner Peace? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 85 Next >>
bcgirl  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bcgirl Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:22pm
Mashallah Al Cordoby, your words on this topic with the heading life and death were very inspirational. Alot of times people just ask for what they think they need/want and dont stop to think about whether it is good for them or will help to benefit them in the long run.

Myself i always give thanks when making dua and before everything i eat i say Bismallah whether a snack or meal. I also thinks its important to reiterate your point when you said we should be asking Allah(swt) what to do in certain situations and ask for help and then look on our inside and clues and signs that happen around us to figure out the rest.

Those were nice words and made me think...thank you for that.
Salam Aleikum, my new mission statement:Why worry? God's in control...
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 2:43pm
One place where inner peace is so strong is in Madinah, especially inside the Prophet's mosque

Reading Qur'an there or praying gives a tremendous feeling of tranquility and serenity .....

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2009 at 9:38am

Trusting God

We have to learn to trust that Allah will take care of us when we obey Him and that He will withdrawal His Great Mercy when we disobey. Every morning the bird goes out to seek the provision Allah has given him, and every night he comes home with it. Allah has promised us our provision.

Umar Ibin Al Khattab narrated that he heard Allah's Messenger say,

'If you were to trust in Allah genuinely, He would give you provision as He does for the birds which go out hungry in the morning and come back full in the evening'

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/tafakkur/trusting_allah.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 March 2009 at 1:47pm

Hope

Hope is a condition of mind connected, above all, with belief. Those who believe have hope, and their degree of hope is directly proportional to their degree of belief. It is because of this that certain effects of strong belief can strike some people as miracles. And those who do not experience belief on this level therefore consider such hope and belief in others as something quite out of the ordinary.

Hope consists of a man finding his spirit and seeing the potentiality that lies within it. Perceiving that, he comes into contact with the All-Powerful and thereby obtains a power that can overcome everything. It is by that power that a particle becomes a sun, a drop of water becomes an ocean, and by it too a man’s spirit becomes the breath of the universe.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 March 2009 at 11:11pm
One of the most important elements for finding inner peace in this life is reaching a balance between the spiritual and the physical

This quote is from an article by Gulen:

Balancing the Spiritual and the Physical

The true life is the one lived at the spiritual level. Those whose hearts are alive, conquering the past and the future, cannot be contained by time.

Such people are never excessively distressed by sorrows of the past or anxieties of the future. Those who cannot experience full existence in their hearts, and thus lead banal, shallow lives, are always gloomy and inclined to hopelessness. They consider the past a horrifying grave, and the future an endless well. It is torment if they die, and it is torment if they survive.

Establishing a sound relationship with a long, great past and a long, better future depends on your having a proper understanding of your heart's and soul's vitality. The fortunate ones live at this level and fully understand this life

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 March 2009 at 1:30pm
Balance between Hope, Fear and Love of God

The heart in its journey to Allah, Majestic is He, is like a bird; Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings.

When the heart and two wings are sound, the bird flies gracefully. If the head is severed, the bird dies. If the bird loses one of its two wings, it becomes a target for every hunter or predator.

(Ibn Al-Qayyim)

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/pearls.html

Keeping that balance is a key to reaching inner peace

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 March 2009 at 2:50pm

Remembering Allah & Inner Tranquility

In more than one verse, the Qur’an directed believers to be keen on achieving inner tranquility, which originally emanates from having firm belief in Allah’s Omnipotence and Omniscience.

It also emanates from worshipping Allah, oftly remembering Him, imploring Him earnestly. Referring to this, Allah Almighty says:

Who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.” (Al-Ra`d: 28)

Thus, even if peace and security are lacking in society, a true believer always finds rest, peace of mind and tranquility by resorting to His Lord, depending on Him only.

Allah Almighty says: “ Those who believe and obscure not their belief by wrong doing, theirs is safety; and they are rightly guided” (Al-An`am: 82)"

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545724

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2009 at 11:41pm
Be with Allah

Be with Allah, you will find Allah with you.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2009 at 12:09am

God's Love and Mercy

Always keep in mind that Allah loves to forgive the sinner who repents. And He is The All-Merciful, The Ever-Merciful.

Some people despair of Allah’s forgiveness, even after they’ve done all they need to do to repent—stop, regret, repay and resolve. But that is only the devil’s way of keeping them away from Allah, of keeping them away from repenting.

If you truly regret the wrong you did and make a sincere effort to stop, if you repay others their rights, if you firmly resolve not to sin again and change your ways so that you’re not tempted to repeat your sin, you should fully expect Allah to forgive you.

And on Judgment Day you will be happier than if you had kept the $10 billion.

http://www.islamonline.net/english/introducingislam/Worship/Heart/article01.shtml

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2009 at 12:33am

Lift Me Up Away From Here!

If we leave our spirituality, we might feel that something is wrong — a sense of unease. It is at that point that we will decide one of two things: either to continue as we were and ignore the signs sent by Allah, or to turn to our spiritual life. The latter would entail turning to Allah and seeking the real meaning of life and the meaning of our existence, ...

Such feelings do not usually occur when we are busy in everyday activities because we have taught ourselves to switch off our spirituality. The ideal would be for us to learn how to perceive spiritually. With this perception, we would be able to perceive the meaning and significance of everything we do in life, while at the same time we are busy in humdrum activities.

Could it be that people get depressed, frustrated, and even angry because they have taught and conditioned themselves to focus on the mundane life? They believe that everyday life is separated from the spiritual, insightful current of life that flows through every living thing. They either ignore, overlook, or fail to see the connection. And thus, we live and die in mundane trivialities when at our fingertips is the means of escape, refreshment, and the ability to put ourselves and our lives into proper focus.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/In_Depth/volunteers/2006/02/15.shtml 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:33am

How To Be Happy?

Another of the means of bringing happiness and relieving worry and distress is striving to eliminate the things that cause worry and to achieve the things that bring happiness.

That may be done by forgetting about bad things in the past which cannot be changed, and realizing that dwelling on them is a waste of time.

So a person must strive to stop himself from thinking of that, and also strive to stop himself from feeling anxious about the future and the things that he may imagine of poverty, fear and other bad things that he thinks may happen to him in the future.

He should realize that the future is something unknown; he cannot know what good or bad things are going to happen to him. That is in the hand of the Almighty, the Most Wise, and all that His slaves can do is to strive to attain the good things and to ward off the bad things.

A person should realize that if he diverts his thoughts from worrying about his future and puts his trust in his Lord to take care of his situation, and puts his mind at rest concerning that, if he does that, then his heart will be at peace and his situation will improve and he will be relieved of worry and anxiety.

http://english.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=article&id=231

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2009 at 7:39am

Get Rid of Sorrow

What is the point of sorrow in your life? Are you living your life or just surviving?

People may laugh and play, but does that mean they don’t harbor sorrow and regret? If all the world continually grumbled about their problems, the world would be overcome with sorrow and discomfort. In such a climate could mankind survive? Could mankind develop?

But what if man were to look at himself inwardly, just like looking into a mirror—reflecting his sorrow with that of man’s history from the beginning of time. Consider the short years you spend in this life and look again at how short is the time of sorrow compared with that of happiness and contentment. What you need to do is get rid of the sorrow in your heart; cast it away and start finding ways to make you happy. Strength comes with the ability to feel content in the midst of trouble, frustration, and turmoil. But where does that innate happiness come from?

Allah created you, and He also created sorrow as a reflection of happiness. Through sorrow we appreciate joy, just like we comprehend coolness through knowing warmth. Sometimes man thinks he can do everything, that he can be perfect. Man fluctuates between underestimating himself and overestimating himself, rarely appreciating his true condition.

Wisdom is built from experience, but how many times do we run away from mistakes that are the seeds of wisdom? Learn to roll with life’s punches and learn from your Lord about yourself, about life, and about what He wants from you His creature. If you run away from your mistakes, this will simply lead you to make more. Let your heart be attached to the Almighty, Who is the Infallible, the All-Knowing. Then you will know yourself and begin to grow.

If you spend your life blaming yourself for everything that happens, you are guilty of denying the role of destiny in your life; you are also guilty of blaming your Lord for creating certain circumstances! Do we, tiny creatures that we are, possibly comprehend the wisdom of the Creator? Mankind sees through a narrow vision of life: we cannot perceive what others perceive; we cannot see life in its overall beauty. So why do we complain, blame, and feel hopeless?

Overwhelming sorrow is destructive, and uncontrollable sadness is disastrous. These things are tools in the hands of Satan to control mankind and lead him, unawares, to his destruction. Happiness, on the other hand, is distributed by the angels, so take your share and give it to others—then indeed, it will again be returned to you.

Excessive weeping over a problem or sorrow is a sign of dissatisfaction with your Lord. It is natural for mankind to experience a variety of emotions and, indeed, this is what makes him unique; but the wallow in these emotions will destroy us. Allah the Almighty has called on us to rein in these emotions and make them follow a positive and beautiful channel. And at times of grief, it is the ultimate test to wade through negativity and hopelessness and squeeze the following words out of your mouth: “From Allah we come and to Him we shall return.” At that moment of submission your soul will be set free from the sadness that threatens to swallow you up.

Truly in the remembrance of the Lord do the hearts find rest.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:09am

Real Freedom

We sometimes spend our whole lives struggling with the weight of this baggage and never manage to break free of it.

The idols in our hearts are like this, they drag us down, destroying our real humanity, which is given to us by Allah alone. The idols that seem to please us and bring us fleeting happiness cannot answer the deepest need of our heart — the need for Allah alone.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/Family/GenderIssues/Emotions/2006/06/02.shtml

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2009 at 1:00am

There Is Good in Every Event

People should seek goodness and beauty not only in ordeals, but also in daily routines. For example, burning the food one has painstakingly prepared may lead one to take numerous measures that would, by the will of Allah, prevent a more serious accident in the future. A young person might fail the college admission test on which all hopes for the future had been pinned.

People should, however, know that there is goodness in their failure, too; they should be able to think that Allah might have willed them to avoid some adverse circumstances or people and thereby feel pleased with the result. Alternatively, by thinking that Allah has placed in every event many other blessings that are either obvious or beyond the imagination, believers see the beauty of full submission to the guidance of Allah.

People may not always see the goodness and divine purpose behind every incident. Even if this is the case, they know for certain that there is goodness in all events. They offer prayers for Allah to discover the goodness and divine purpose hidden behind everything that happens.

Those who are aware that everything has a purpose in Allah's creation never use phrases such as "I wish I had not done this" or "I wish I had not said that" and so on. Mistakes, defects, or seemingly unfortunate events essentially include blessings, and each one of them is the trial of destiny. Allah gives important lessons and reminders to humans in the destiny He creates individually for each person.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/Living_Shariah/RefinementOfTheHeart/advice/2006/06/02.shtml

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 30 March 2009 at 1:03am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 85 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version