Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: How to Find Inner Peace? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 85 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2010 at 12:09am
Victory of the Spirit

Human life in this world is a composite of two distinct powers, the spirit and the flesh.

Although it is sometimes the case that these two powers act in harmony, conflict between them is more usual, and conflict of a kind in which the victory of one results in the defeat of the other.

In an individual in whom bodily lusts are vigorously indulged, the spirit grows more powerless as it becomes more obedient to those lusts; while in another individual, one who has given the spirit dominance over the flesh, in whom the heart (the seat of spiritual intellect) has power over reason, and the bodily lusts are vigorously opposed, it attains to eternity.

Only those who have filled their hearts with the most sublime ideals and love of humanity will lead a spiritual life so as to attain to eternity in their very selves. They are the fortunate ones who have transcended their carnal desires, who have grown spiritually alert, and led those who heed them to victory over the commands of self.

(Source: fgulen.org)
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 June 2010 at 12:00am
Having "Rida" (Contentment) and Accepting Allah's Decree

An important source of inner peace comes through a strong faith, and one of the six articles of faith in Islam is belief in Qadar, which can translated as measured destiny.

Knowing that God has pre-ordained certain matters before we came into this world is an important belief which makes a believer calmer when faced with hardships. One should do his best, but at the end of the day accept the final outcome decreed by God, trusting that He knows what is better for us, and that after hardship comes ease.

Too much anxiety and worry does not help reach an inner balance, and peace comes through wisdom and contentment

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2010 at 11:55pm
Contemplating the Beauties of God's Creation

Why is it we always long to go away on a weekend or on holiday to places where we can be close to nature?

Being in a beautiful natural environment brings peace to the soul when we look at the oceans, mountains, open fields, and when we look up to the sky and contemplate this amazing universe

Even looking out of the window and seeing birds fly or sing on a tree brings comfort to the soul.

That is all part of God's wonderful creation, Subhan Allah, and this brings a feeling of peace and serenity to the heart and comfort to the soul

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 June 2010 at 12:28am
Reading and Thinking about the Abode of Peace

The Qur'an describes the Abode of Peace, and the life of believers in the Hereafter whom God has admitted to Paradise

After the hardships of this life will come a day when believers who did good in the world will be rewarded with an eternal happy life in Paradise (Jannah), where there will be no worries, no pain, no illness.

A life of peace and serenity, close to God, with those we love.

May Allah admit us to Jannah

Ameen

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 June 2010 at 11:49pm

Contentment

The concept of being content is a very important asset in our daily life. If one is content, he will live in peace, harmony and happiness. These qualities can't be purchased or acquired through wealth or fame. ...

In order to live in peace and harmony, in order not to be deceived with worldly entertainment, and not to be distracted with what others may have and in order to be content and satisfied with what you have: our Prophet, peace be upon him, advised us to look at those who are lower than us.

By looking at the situations of those who have a lesser wage/salary, less position, less property or less wealth, we should be grateful to Allah for all the blessings we have in life.

To avoid anxiety and to avoid worries and uneasiness, one has to be content and satisfied with what he has. To fulfil your needs, desires and your worldly requirements, one has to look at the situation of those who are less fortunate ...

http://www.inter-islam.org/Lifestyle/contentment.htm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

javedmohamed3
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote javedmohamed3 Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:33pm
Al Cardoby,

I'm wondering if the talk of contentment, forgiveness,
love and peace will prevent non-muslims from converting
because such talk does not differentiate Islam from
other religions which also talk about them. For
example, Christianity talks a lot about forgiveness,
probably lot more than Islam. Christians are already
saying "so what is different about Islam in this
respect? and moreover Islam accepts Jesus as a
prophet. So my religion is good enough and I'm happy
with it. There is no incentive to convert"

You have the freedom to say what you want but it is
my opinion that you should *refrain* from such
discussing such topics (beauty, contentment,
forgiveness, peace, love) and solely focus on the
key differentials of Islam:
o Five pillars
o Beauty of hijab
o Rights Islam gives to women
o Islamic prohibition of terrorism, alcohol and such.
o Sharia

The discussion should focus on proving other religions
completely wrong and insufficient to lead a decent life
according to Allah. You are doing the opposite and in
this respect, Al Cardoby, you are stunting the
progress of Islam in the Christian world.
licencedtothink  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote licencedtothink Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:04pm
You have the freedom to say what you want but it is
my opinion that you should *refrain* from such
discussing such topics (beauty, contentment,
forgiveness, peace, love) and solely focus on the
key differentials of Islam:
o Five pillars
o Beauty of hijab
o Rights Islam gives to women
o Islamic prohibition of terrorism, alcohol and such.

Sharia Once again someone is working with the wrong number.
Some believed we lacked the
programming language to describe your perfect world.
.. as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization..

Agent Smith,The Matrix
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2010 at 12:10am
Originally posted by javedmohamed3

I'm wondering if the talk of contentment, forgiveness,
love and peace will prevent non-muslims from converting
because such talk does not differentiate Islam from
other religions which also talk about them.

It's good that these concepts exist in other religions, I see no problem there. What is important is to be following the Right Path, as inner peace on its own is not enough

In Islam, inner peace is one of the many fruits of following God's Guidance, and the inner dimensions of Islam are very important, as deeds are judged by intentions

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:07am
Al,

I like your posts about contentment and other posts you have made about finding inner peace, happiness, etc.  I think that this is relevant.  I don't think that all of the topics need to prove other religions wrong at all.  And always talking about the pillars of Islam might provide a bit of a narrow view of Islam.  I like the enrichment of the extra topics like inner peace.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2010 at 2:38am
Some Muslims follow the Path of Sufi orders in search of inner peace

Though some Sufi insights, which are based on the Qur'an and Sunnah, can be very useful, Muslims are advised not to join a Sufi order. It's no problem to benefit from moderate Sufi scholars who teach Islam based on the Qur'an and Sunnah, but one should be careful

Once a Muslim scholar said that Sufis have precious pearls which are covered with dust or mud, and a knowledgeable scholar can benefit from the pearl by cleaning it from the dust which covers it

It takes a lot of knowledge to be able to do that in order to distinguish what is mainstream Islam and what isn't, but when studied properly it gives very good results in increasing spirituality and inner peace.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2010 at 11:45pm
Contentment

A wise person once said:

“Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have.”

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:31pm
Contentment: The Secret to Happiness in Life

As we all pass through life looking at people and materialistic things around us, We often tend to look at people above us and desire to be like them.

But Islam advises us to look at those below us and feel contempt at what Allah has provided us. Listed below would be some practical suggestions on achieving this contentment and repelling the greed of want of more.

It is said that a man complained about his old shoes until he saw a man who had no feet. ...

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/parenting/parent.contentment.asp

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2010 at 11:48pm
Wise Sayings: Food for Thought

The alternative to pride is prayer

Ritual is nothing but thankfulness, or it is nothing

We have too many things and too little gratitude

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/contentions14.htm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 July 2010 at 11:40pm
How Islam Deals With Sadness and Worry: Gratitude

As fragile human beings, we are often swamped by fears and anxiety.  At times sadness and worry threaten to take over our lives.  These emotions can become so consuming that we forget our primary purpose in life, which is to worship God.  When pleasing God is at the centre of all our thoughts, actions and deeds, then sadness and worry can have no place in our lives. ...

When we bear witness that, there is no god worthy of worship but Allah and that Muhammad is His final messenger we are being grateful for being blessed with Islam.  When a believer prostrates before God in quiet, joyful prayer, we are expressing gratitude.  During the fast of Ramadan, we become thankful for food and water by realizing that God provides our sustenance.  If a believer is able to make the pilgrimage to the House of God in Mecca, it is indeed a cause for thankfulness.  The Hajj journey can be long, difficult, and expensive.

The believer also expresses gratitude by giving charity.  Prophet Muhammad, may God praise him, advised his followers to give charity everyday to express gratitude to God for every single joint or faculty in his body ...

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/3535/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 85 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version