Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Something to ponder on... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
The_truth  
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote The_truth Replybullet Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:56pm

Fair in the eyes of men is the love of things they covet: women and sons; heaped-up hoards of gold and silver; horses branded (for blood and excellence); and (wealth of) cattle and well-tilled land. Such are the possessions of this world's life; but in nearness to Allah is the best of the goals (to return to). (Surah Aali-'Imran: 14)

Know you (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: how rain and the growth which it brings forth delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; you will see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And forgiveness from Allah and (His) good pleasure (for the devotees of Allah). And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception? (Surat al-Hadid: 20)
[T]he sun and moon and stars are subservient to His command. Both creation and command belong to Him. Blessed be Allah,
the Lord of all the worlds.
(Qur’an, 7:54)
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:09pm
A ray of sunshine as usual the truth.

Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
Dolcy
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Christian(Protestant)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Dolcy Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2009 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Bill2702

Actually Dolcy the saying is "You can't tell a book by its cover."

My mistake.  Sorry Bill, you are correct.

Edited by Dolcy - 07 July 2009 at 5:35am
"The heart of communication and understanding is kindness."
Eleanor Burne-Jones <>       Salvation Army Forum   November 10th, 2007
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2009 at 12:48pm

Thank you Brother Truth

I had tea yesterday with a great theologian,
and he asked me,

“What is your experience of God’s will?”

I liked that question –
for the distillation of thought hones thought in others.
Clarity, I know, is freedom.

What is my experience of God’s will?

Everyone is a traveler.
Most all need lodging, food,and clothes.

I let enter my mouth what will enrich me.
I wear what will make my eye content,
I sleep where I will wake with the strength
to deeply love
all my mind can hold.

What is God’s will for a wing?
Every bird knows that.

~St. Teresa of Avila

Edited by a well wisher - 07 July 2009 at 12:49pm
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Dolcy
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Dolcy Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2009 at 1:04pm

Words that changed my life:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."  John 3:16-17

Edited by Dolcy - 07 July 2009 at 1:06pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 08 July 2009 at 11:40am
Thank You Brother Dolcy for sharing your inspiration with us...

It was said to one of the Salaf:

‘Does the heart prostrate?’

And he said: ‘Yes, by Allah. It prostrates such that it doesn’t lift its head until it meets Allah, `azza wa jall.’

Ibn al-Qayyim: ‘This points to the humbleness of the heart, its humility, repentance and closeness to Allah wherever it may be and it points to its constant regard (for Allah) in solitude and when with others.’

~ ‘Asrar al-Salat’ by Ibn al-Qayyim                           

- This is one interesting statement. Let’s dig deep…

The first sajdah of the heart is when it submits to its Lord and recognises His Lordship, subsequently entering into a state of complete Islam and Istislam (submission and surrender). Thereafter the heart continues to prostrate and this causes the limbs to follow suit – bringing one to physically perform sujood day and night in prayers.

What is the case then of the one who has been commanded to bow, but their heart refuses to bow? They’ve been ordered with sujood, but their forehead never touches the ground in ‘Ibadah? Such is the case of those who abandon the prayer (tarik al-salah), how can their limbs perform such a bold act of submission when their heart has yet to reach its comanded state, how can they bow in sujood when their heart has yet to fulfil its own sujood?

What then is left of their Islam and Istislam?

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 July 2009 at 12:02pm

When the great Sufi mystic, Hasan, was dying, somebody asked "Hasan, who was your master?" He said, "I had thousands of masters. If I just relate their names it will take months, years and it is too late. But three masters I will certainly tell you about. One was a thief. Once I got lost in the desert, and when I reached a village it was very late, everything was closed. But at last I found one man who was trying to make a hole in the wall of a house. I asked him where I could stay and he said 'At this time of night it will be difficult, but you can stay with me - if you can stay with a thief' ...And each night he would say to me, 'Now I am going to my work. You rest, you pray.' When he came back I would ask 'Could you get anything?' He would say, 'Not tonight. But tomorrow I will try again, God willing.' He was never in a state of hopelessness, he was always happy. When I was meditating and meditating for years on end and nothing was happening, many times the moment came when I was so desperate, so hopeless, that I thought to stop all this nonsense. And suddenly I would remember the thief who would say every night, 'God willing, tomorrow it is going to happen.'
And my second master was a dog. I was going to the river, thirsty and a dog came. He was also thirsty. He looked into the river, he saw another dog there -- his own image -- and became afraid. He would bark and run away, but his thirst was so much that he would come back. Finally, despite his fear, he just jumped into the water, and the image disappeared. And I knew that a message had come to me from God: one has to jump in spite of all fears.
And the third master was a small child. I entered a town and a child was carrying a lit candle. He was going to the mosque to put the candle there.
Just joking, I asked the boy, 'Have you lit the candle yourself?' He said, 'Yes sir.' And I asked, 'There was a moment when the candle was unlit, then there was a moment when the candle was lit. Can you show me the source from which the light came?'
And the boy laughed, blew out the candle, and said, 'Now you have seen the light going. Where has it gone? You will tell me!'
My ego was shattered, my whole knowledge was shattered. And that moment I felt my own stupidity. Since then I dropped all my knowledgeability.
It is true that I had no master. That does not mean that I was not a disciple -- I accepted the whole existence as my master. My Disciplehood was a greater involvement than yours is. I trusted the clouds, the trees. I trusted existence as such. I had no master because I had millions of masters I learned from every possible source. To be a disciple is a must on the path. What does it mean to be a disciple? It means to be able to learn. to be available to learn and to be vulnerable to existence. With a master you start learning to learn.
The master is a swimming pool where you can learn how to swim. Once you have learned, all the oceans are yours."

~Idries Shah

Edited by a well wisher - 09 July 2009 at 12:03pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:25pm

Cherchons plutôt hors de portée, ou par je ne sais quel geste,
quel bond ou quel oubli qui ne s’appelle plus
ni “chercher”, ni “trouver”

(Let us rather search out of our reach, or through some gesture,
some leap or some forgetfulness no longer called
“to seek”, nor “to find”)

~Philippe Jaccottet 

Edited by a well wisher - 10 July 2009 at 12:25pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2009 at 11:15am

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

~Rudyard Kipling

Edited by a well wisher - 11 July 2009 at 11:15am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2009 at 1:15pm

A Short Course In Human Relations and Leadership

Edited by a well wisher - 12 July 2009 at 1:16pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 July 2009 at 1:09pm

A man and a nail had a conversation.

The nail said: "I have often wondered during my years sticking here in this panel, what my fate is to be."

The man said: "Latent in your situation may be a tearing out with pliers, a burning of wood, the rotting of the plank -- so many things."

Said the nail: "I should have known better than to ask such foolish questions! Nobody can foresee the future, let alone a variety of them, all so unlikely."

So the nail waited, until someone else came along, someone who would talk intelligently, and not threaten him.

So do we really want to know our fate, or even our present situation?

~Wisdom of the Idiots-Idries Shah

Edited by a well wisher - 13 July 2009 at 1:09pm
Dolcy
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Dolcy Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2009 at 5:29am

"I'm not half as afraid of censorship as I am the garbage which pours unchecked from Hollywood, or that which comes from the pens of writers and TV Studios into the homes and schools of the nation. The garbage that makes illicit sex, the use of alcohol, the fighting and killing in the streets of our nation and the hate of one's fellow man an honourable and proper lifestyle for the young to follow.

I believe that every man ought to have the right to write and produce that which is morally correct, however when he fails to do so, he ought to feel the full potency of the legal law. What passes through the mind of an author to the pages of a book, or the movie screens of the nation, makes that author an accomplice in any immoral act which he has propagated in the minds of the young and which the young or their elders put into action."

Len Colp

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:58pm
Thank you Brother Dolcy for posting this quote....a very relevant and true concern in today's time...people often underestimate the ripple effect of their actions and words...

Listening – in place of speaking.
Even – more important than vision,
than any vision (even – in imagination)….
pauses are the places of reverence before:
the Song.

~Gennady Aygi

Edited by a well wisher - 14 July 2009 at 12:58pm
Dolcy
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Dolcy Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2009 at 5:00am

"A guilty conscience is pretty hard to live with. Thus Evolution becomes important in a world where we are sinners and wish to remain in our ungodly state."  Amisk

Edited by Dolcy - 15 July 2009 at 5:08am
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version