Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Something to ponder on... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2014 at 4:41am

Some Sunday afternoon, it may be,
you are sitting under your porch roof,
looking down through the trees
to the river, watching the rain. The circles
made by the raindrops’ striking
expand, intersect, dissolve,

and suddenly (for you are getting on
now, and much of your life is memory)
the hands of the dead, who have been here
with you, rest upon you tenderly
as the rain rests shining
upon the leaves. And you think then

(for thought will come) of the strangeness
of the thought of heaven, for now
you have imagined yourself there,
remembering with longing this
happiness, this rain. Sometimes here
we are there, and there is no death.

~Wendell Berry~

http://vimeo.com/84802749
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:54am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 October 2014 at 4:27am

Can We Auto-Correct Humanity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRl8EIhrQjQ

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2014 at 3:18am

“I see the heart like a phoenix and out of the ashes of terrible suffering something can arise and it is there that the most luminous force on the planet exists for me. One of the most viscous elements in the story is when we get attached to our wound.  When we define ourselves by the wound, we stop serving, we stop moving with the deepest intention of the planet, which is to show us that we can transcend any of these deep wounds.”

“We know now from science that if I am not listening to you, but instead I am listening to my judgments of you, we will create a different electromagnetic field and a different biochemistry in our blood, which directly impacts our communication with the other person.”

“My image of peace these days is that we’re no longer shouting at the gates and raising our protest placards and opposing something.  We’ve scaled the walls and we’re inside the educational system and inside movements that are so much about building a culture of peace.” 

“Unforgiveness freezes up this vital energy and the universe wants it to be liberated.  It wants to restore love and harmony and connectivity. What is ironic is that people that have been victimized become the victim of being held in that energy instead of releasing it.  Even to those they have been injured, the universe is saying that now you can open the story and release others as well as yourself.  The root of that issue is that forgiveness is the opener.”

"I was asked by a woman whose uncle was a Catholic priest and violently murdered when she was a child. Now, years later, she wanted to know how to approach this man who had murdered her uncle.  I said to her, “Make it real.  Don’t make forgiveness this obligation business.  Write to him and ask, “How does he feel?  What does he feel at this point?  Does he know how much you suffered?  Open up the possibility for the real movement of energy to occur.”  There isn’t a formula for this. If it’s to be real, you have to go into it with all your clear emotions and with the desire to open and to heal."

“I feel the reality of the bullet in the heart of planet Earth.  It’s an extraordinarily painful moment for planet Earth.  The bullet is in but that is not the end of the story because we have the will to create something that is so much greater.  Even when the bullet is in, this is not the end of the story.”

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:39am

Elizabeth Gilbert On The Ugly Truth About Following Your Passion

When we hear stories about people who follow their passion and make their dreams come true, we often focus on the uplifting nature and beauty of the journey. Sometimes, it even appears as if the pieces simply fall into place once someone answers the call to follow their passion. The reality however, says Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert, isn't always as idyllic.

Gilbert chronicled her yearlong quest of self-discovery in her bestselling memoir -- a journey that she tells Oprah was formed by the ups and downs that come with embarking on adventure into the unknown. For anyone else planning to do the same, Gilbert shares a critical piece of advice.

"If you're going to answer the call and you're going to transform and you're going to change, get ready," she says. "It is not a day at the beach."

Instead, there will be extremes, many of which will make you question your entire purpose. "Expect to be challenged," Gilbert says emphatically. "Expect to be hurt. Expect to feel lost. Expect to feel despair. Expect to be double-guessing yourself at every turn."

Author and scholar Joseph Campbell believed that these types of struggles are not unique to any one person and actually date back as far time. He spent his entire life studying the world's religious origins, fairytales, stories and myths in order to find common threads, and discovered that there's one basic pattern that always persists and repeats. Campbell called it "the hero's journey." In short, the structure is simple: A person gets called to the journey, goes through the road of trials, faces his teachers, faces the battle and loses his fear. Facing challenges is an inevitable part of the journey, during the stage Campbell called "the road of trials" -- and Gilbert says it's called that for a reason.

"They don't call it 'the road of trials' because it's a joy ride," she says. "Joseph Campbell called it 'the road of trials' because that's exactly what it is."

To help you stay on course through your own hero's journey, Gilbert explains that it is important to keep in mind why these extreme lows and treacherous obstacles exist.

"Every single one of those obstacles, challenges and temptations that you have to learn to manage will help you gain your talents and powers, and shed your fears," she says. "So that when it comes time for the climactic scene in every hero's journey, which is the battle, you're ready... Every single one of those obstacles prepared you for the battle."

After you've shed your fear, something incredible happens.

"Then," Gilbert says, "you become the hero."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/elizabeth-gilbert-truth-follow-passion_n_5941534.html?ir=GPS+for+the+Soul

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 November 2014 at 2:48pm

Your doubt can become a good attribute if you discipline it. It must become a knowing; it must become the critic. Ask it, as often as it wishes to spoil something, why something is ugly.

Demand proof of it, test it, and you will find it perhaps perplexed and confused, perhaps also in protest. Don’t give in; demand arguments.

Act with alertness and responsibility, each and every time, and the day will come when doubt will change from the destroyer to become one of your best fellow-workers, perhaps the wisest of all that have a part in building your life.

~Rilke's Letter To A Young Poet Excerpt~

Edited by a well wisher - 10 November 2014 at 6:59am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 08 November 2014 at 3:59pm

A Teacher in Tokyo

Your class goal is to understand how to be happy and care for other people. It sounds like the sort of class a stressed or overworked adult would find, long after they graduated school. Instead, it is a different teaching approach taken by a grammar teacher in Tokyo. Watch how Toshiro Kanamori teaches his pupils to understand their inner thoughts.

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=1720

Edited by a well wisher - 10 November 2014 at 7:00am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2014 at 10:06pm

Denzel Washington On Dreams & Goals

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESa45s7R4R8

Edited by a well wisher - 28 February 2015 at 7:31am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2015 at 3:48pm
A New Story of People

"Our hearts know that a more beautiful world is possible; but our minds do not know how it's possible". The world we see around us is based on a story.

The current story of who we are as a people says that we are separate beings - separate from each other and from Nature - interacting through market transactions to maximize economic and reproductive self-interest.

In this video remix, Charles Eisenstein explores how we can make the transition from the old story of separation, competition and self-interest to a new story of interconnection.

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=4666
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2015 at 7:24am

In this hour, let us grant to each other the grace that is ours to give.
In each other, let us see ourselves, and ourselves again,

That all the times we have looked at our faces in a mirror
Should have added up—each face our own, but a reminder as well

We are more than ourselves, that our eyes can see
Into that silver world as far as, and beyond, what we understand.

Looking into a mirror, into a window pane, into the water of a lake,
A photograph—we are here and over there as well. In that moment

All things are more possible. In this hour of ourselves, you and I,
One stronger than the other, let us speak evenly, and make plain

The hope that all this time has held us. Let us extend ourselves
Beyond ourselves into the silver, ourselves bigger and farther,

Ten thousand bodies to choose from suddenly in that mirror, us
Needing only one, so that things seem again so simple.

"Who Has Need, I Stand with You" _Alberto Ríos

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2015 at 2:01am

A Portrait in Patience

Patience they said was a virtue. Only I wasn't ever quite sure why.

I always saw her as a rather plain-faced girl with a sweet smile. Too sweet. She was wont to sit in a straight-backed chair. Legs crossed neatly at the ankles, eyes downcast, hands cupped in lap, one inside the other- and in this way she managed to turn waiting into some kind of colorless prayer.

Patience- the Artist's model posing prettily for her portrait through the passage of time. But what did that accomplish is what I wanted to know. And where again lay the nobility in that bland brand of immobility?

But now I am beginning to realize that she is not quite as- lifeless- as that :-)

Patience has eyes that are keen and kind and look like they want to laugh. And she actually doesn’t sit still very much (except on the inside) and instead walks, sometimes runs, towards the things around her that are most in need of doing and she does them if she can and if she can't she tries anyway- even when it isn’t really her job and no one told her to do it. Patience sweeps the floor and changes the water in the flower bowls. She attends to phone calls and remembers to feed the dog. And you’d never know she was waiting for something important to happen- because she always seems to be happening in the middle of something important. Even if it's just cooking dinner.

And she makes me want to cultivate that quality inside.

Patience isn't a kind of soggycereal endurance of Intervals or the flat fizzlessness of soda forgotten on the windowledge. It isn't a somnambulist whirling through the night. Mindless of the waking world. Blind to everything but what Is Not.

It's crisper than that. And Real-er too. And so much more- engaging- and Alive.

Patience is a kind of understanding. An understanding that transcends the 'limitations' of the moment. It's a teacher standing at the blackboard repeating A is for Apple. B is for Boy. Day after day to small puzzled faces. Because she believes that one day they will make the leap that connects the sound to the letter the letter to the word the word to the shiny red contours of a classic fruit. Patience is a kind of trust. A trust that does its part and holds the rest lightly in an open palm. It's a farmer sowing seeds in springtime. Hoeing, watering, weeding. Because he believes the earth will do her part when the time comes. And Patience is a kind of acceptance. An acceptance that allows for doubt. It's a friend who holds your hand when you're not sure of the next step. Because no matter which way you go she'll come with you. Patience is a kind of love. A love that is its own explanation in bewildered circumstance. It is an old, old woman placing a wrinkledparchment hand against the cheek of a reckless child. Because her heart is too wise to make room for reproach. Too full to find place for offence.

And Patience is a kind of virtue. I think I see that now.

--Pavithra Mehta
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2015 at 5:51pm

Drinking from an Empty Glass: A Letter to a Dear, Dark Friend

Yes, I know the government is corrupt. Yes, I know
there are people conspiring. Yes, I know people can
lack integrity. Yes, I know that western culture is materialistic.
Yes, I know that corporations are self-serving.
Yes, I know that the media is manipulative. Yes, I know
it is hard to trust love. Yes, I know that it can be difficult
to believe in God. I share many of your concerns.

And I also know that we cannot change the world
without acknowledging what is wrong. I know that we
must stand against that which shames, oppresses and
damages humanity. I know that we should not ignore
the injustices and put on a fake smile. I know that we
must find our voice and stand our ground. I know that
we must fight for our right to the light. I believe deeply
in forward moving criticism.

But something doesn’t feel quite right. You complain
all the time. You have made negativity a full time
job. You don’t make an effort to find solutions. You
blame everything on the world out there. You don’t actually
do anything positive to effect change. And you
seldom acknowledge the positive steps humanity has
made. You seldom acknowledge the beauty around
you. You almost never see the light in the darkness.

I know something from my lived experience. I
know that the light is always there. It is there, in the
breath that keeps you alive, in the smile of a child, in
the yet another chance to find your path. It is there in
the rise of the feminine, in the therapeutic revolution,
in the burgeoning quest for authenticity. If you can’t see
it, then the issue is a personal one, for there are signs of
progress everywhere.

And I also know from a lifetime of overcoming that
it is possible to hold it all at once. To fight against injustice
while still embodying the light. To see where we
are lacking, while rejoicing in our abundance. To express
our anger, and to live our gratitude. To feel overwhelmed
by an unfair world, while still achieving our
goals. To see how far we have yet to travel, while applauding
how far we have come.

And so I wonder what lives below your perpetual
negativity? Apart from the problems with the world,
what happened that darkened your lens? What made
the glass so empty? Is it really all about the world ‘out
there’, or are there also unresolved personal experiences
that need to be healed? What are you really trying to express
about the lack of love, attention, and satisfaction
in your life? What lives below this victimhood? What is
your deeper complaint? What needs to expressed and
resolved so that you will see some light shining through
again? Please don’t wait until the world is perfect, for it
will never be so.

Dear friend, how can I help you to believe again?

(~an excerpt from 'Love it Forward', Jeff Brown)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2015 at 3:39am

I am not interested in enlightenment if it means detachment from the emotional body, the earth plane, the challenges of being human. I am interested in Enrealment, because it means that my most spiritual moments are inclusive, arising right in the heart of all that is human: joy and sorrow, shopping list and unity consciousness, fresh mangoes and stale bread. Enrealment is about living in all aspects of reality simultaneously rather than only those realms that feel the most comfortable. We are not just the light, or the mind, or the emptiness, or perpetual positivity. We are the everything. It’s ALL God, even the dust that falls off my awakening heart.

– Jeff Brown.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2015 at 3:51am

The Act of Giving is the True Gift
Author Unknown

In an ancient Indian epic, Arjuna, a famed warrior questions his divine charioteer, Krishna, about the noblest giver in the land. "Karna is without doubt the finest example of generosity in the kingdom," Krishna informs him. The answer irks Arjuna. Karna is one of his biggest rivals on the battlefield. He frowns deeply and says nothing. Krishna, noticing Arjuna's furrowed brow and the competitive gleam in his eyes, hides a smile. The subject is dropped for the time being, but several days later, Krishna devises a skillful test.

"Do you see those two mountains ?" Krishna asks Arjuna, as they are riding together one evening. As Arjuna turns his gaze, the tall peaks in the distance begin to shimmer and reflect the light. The two mountains have turned into solid gold. "Now Arjuna, I have a task for you," says Krishna, " You must distribute these two mountains of gold among the poor villagers who live in the foothills. Let me know when you have given away every last pebble of it."

Excited by this opportunity to impress Krishna and the world with his philanthropic abilities, Arjuna summons all the villagers together and addresses them grandly. "Listen," says Arjuna, "For I bring glad news. I will be distributing these two glorious mountains of gold amongst all of you." A gasp of wonder and delight rises from the audience, and the air fills with songs in praise of the great warrior Arjuna. Energized by the admiration Arjuna sets about creating a master plan for the collection and distribution of the gold.

For two straight days and nights he shovels gold ceaselessly from the mountain. Not stopping an instant for food, water, rest or sleep. And yet, to his bafflement and utter dismay, the mountains remain undiminished. The more he shovels the more there remains. Forced to the brink of exhaustion, he seeks Krishna out. "I must take a few days of rest before I continue," he confesses wearily.

In response, Krishna summons Karna into his presence. "Do you see those two mountains?" Krishna asks of Karna. "Yes," returns the noble warrior. "You must distribute them among the poor villagers who live in the foothills. Let me know when you have given away every last pebble of it." Without a moment's hesitation Karna calls out to two villagers who happen to be passing by at that moment. "Do you see those two mountains?" Karna asks them. "Yes," comes the response. "Those two mountains of gold are yours to do with as you please," says Karna with a smile bright as the sunrise. And just as easily as he utters these words, he bows to Krishna and walks away.

Arjuna sits dumbfounded by this turn of events. Krishna turns to him, his voice rich with a love and wisdom beyond the ages. "Arjuna -- in your mind the gold occupied a place of high value, and you were sub-consciously attracted to it. You had a muddied approach to giving. You tried to strategize and divide up the gold according to who you thought was most worthy of the gift. But these petty calculations tired your spirit, and over time, you were forced to realize that the mountains' abundance is far beyond the capacity of your individual head, heart and hands." Arjuna silently absorbed the truth of these words into his being.

"And what about Karna?" he finally ventured to ask. "The gold meant nothing to Karna," returned Krishna easily, "For him the true gift was not the gold but the act of giving in itself. He had no calculations to make, nor was he seeking anything in return by way of acknowledgement or praise. He offered everything with a clear heart and a pure mind, and having given he moved on to meet the next moment. And that, dear Arjuna, is a true sign of a person on the path of Awakening."

<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version