Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Stargazing... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2013 at 5:03pm

Full Moon Silhouettes

Have you ever watched the Moon rise? The slow rise of a nearly full moon over a clear horizon can be an impressive sight. One impressive moonrise was imaged on the 28th January 2013 over Mount Victoria Lookout in Wellington, New Zealand. With detailed planning, an industrious astrophotographer placed a camera about two kilometers away and pointed it across the lookout to where the Moon would surely soon be making its nightly debut. The above single shot sequence is unedited and shown in real time -- it is not a time lapse.

People on Mount Victoria Lookout can be seen in silhouette themselves admiring the dawn of Earth's largest satellite.

“Moonlight floods the whole sky from horizon to horizon;
How much it can fill your room depends on its windows.”

~Rumi (ra)~

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 August 2013 at 4:29pm

Sky Gazers

Make sure to watch this full-screen with the sound on! Featured on the National Geographic News: newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/04/03/new-starry-time-lapse-a-tribute-to-sky-watchers/

The evening twilight gently fades in to darkness. Clouds begin to scatter away and I'm under an ocean of twinkling stars. Another night of pure enjoyment and cosmic adventures. The night sky is perhaps the most enchanting love one can ever find!

This timelapse production is a tribute to all skygazers around the world who enjoy exploring the night sky with their telescopes. I'm happy to release this in April 2012 in celebration of the Global Astronomy Month (gam-awb.org), an international program of Astronomers Without Borders in partnership with world-wide astronomy centers and clubs.

I made the footage and images between 2007 and 2011 in various locations in Iran, La Palma (Canary Islands), Austria, Germany, and Nepal. Some of the sequences are made during star parties, and observing competitions such as Messier Marathon where a large group of amateur astronomers observe the night sky together.

Babak Tafreshi (twanight.org/tafreshi) of The World at Night (TWAN) program.

“Our sunsets have been reduced to wavelengths and frequencies.The complexities of the universe have been shredded into mathematical equations. Even our self-worth as human beings has been destroyed.Skepticism has become a virtue. Cynicism and demand for proof has become enlightened thought. Is it any wonder that humans now feel more depressed and defeated than they have at any point in human history?"

“Science and religion are not at odds. Science is simply too young to understand.Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to.”

“Whether or not you believe in God, you must believe this: when we as a species abandon our trust in a power greater than us, we abandon our sense of accountability. Faiths… all faiths… are admonitions that there is something we cannot understand, something to which we are accountable. With faith we are accountable to each other, to ourselves, and to a higher truth. Religion is flawed, but only because man is flawed. The church consists of a brotherhood of imperfect, simple souls wanting only to be a voice of compassion in a world spinning out of control.”

– Dan Brown
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2013 at 5:32pm
Home At The Shore and Stargazing...

After 10 months, more than 40 hours of shooting, and over 5,000 photos taken, I'm proud to present my first timelapse video, Home At The Shore.

Please hit play and take a journey to some of New Jersey's most beautiful beaches and shoreline locations and watch as the stars travel across the sky.

I hope everyone enjoys watching and maybe even decides on setting aside a night just for stargazing. Trust me, the world can seem a lot calmer when you're staring up at the stars and listening to the waves crash on the beach.

(About 4 mins)

“At ebb tide I wrote a line upon the sand, and gave it all my heart and all my soul. At flood tide I returned to read what I had inscribed and found my ignorance upon the shore.” 

“Have you beauty, that leads the heart from things fashioned of wood and stone to the holy mountain?

Tell me, have you these in your houses? Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and becomes a host, and then a master? Ay, and it becomes a tamer, and with hook and scourge makes puppets of your larger desires. Though its hands are silken, its heart is of iron. It lulls you to sleep only to stand by your bed and jeer at the dignity of the flesh. It makes mock of your sound senses, and lays them in thistledown like fragile vessels. Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral.

But you, children of space, you restless in rest, you shall not be trapped nor tamed. Your house shall be not an anchor but a mast. It shall not be a glistening film that covers a wound, but an eyelid that guards the eye. You shall not fold your wings that you may pass through doors, nor bend your heads that they strike not against a ceiling, nor fear to breathe lest walls should crack and fall down. You shall not dwell in tombs made by the dead for the living. And though of magnificence and splendour, your house shall not hold your secret nor shelter your longing.

For that which is boundless in you abides in the mansion of the sky, whose door is the morning mist, and whose windows are the songs and the silences of night.”

~Kahlil Gibran~
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2014 at 3:39pm

A Rainbow Pileus Cloud over Zimbabwe
Image Credit & Copyright:
Peter Lowenstein

Explanation: Yes, but how many dark clouds have a multicolored lining? Pictured, behind this darker cloud, is a pileus iridescent cloud, a group of water droplets that have a uniformly similar size and so together diffract different colors of sunlight by different amounts. The above image was taken just before sunset when it was noticed by chance by a photographer in Murambi East, near Odzi Valley and the Mtanda Range of Zimbabwe. Also captured were unusual cloud ripples above the pileus cloud. The formation of a rare pileus cloud capping a common cumulus cloud is an indication that the lower cloud is expanding upward and might well develop into a storm. In this case, however, only a few minutes after the colorful cloud was noticed, it disappeared.

“Fear is the cheapest room in the house.
I would like to see you living
In better conditions.”

~Hafez~

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2014 at 6:00am

"Any patch of sunlight in a wood will show you something about the sun which you could never get from reading books on astronomy."

~C.S. Lewis~
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2014 at 3:57pm
"North Country Dreamland"

A northern Michigan celestial dark sky exposition

Time lapse compilation cut down to over 10k photo frames equaling 33 scenes of various night sky events from Northern Michigan 2012. It took a year to shoot in many cold nights and took a lot of coffee, a bit tenacity and persistence to get this into a form of coherent electrified cosmic goodness.

Night sky-capes include multiple northern lights scenes, meteor showers, nebulae, planets, including Venus and Jupiter setting from Spring 2012, constellations, the milky way, comet Pan-Starrs, night-scapes over both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.

All scenes are within 200 miles or so of my home in Marquette, Mi. and I feel very blessed to live where I do and to share the beauty that I see 'in my own backyard' with you. I hope it inspires others to take time to find the beauty that is everywhere around us and also to raise an awareness about the importance of preserving our night wondrous starlit skies.

“Let me peer out at the world
through your lens. (Maybe I'll shudder,
or gasp, or tilt my head in a question.)
Let me see how your blue
is my turquoise and my orange
is your gold. Suddenly binary
stars, we have startling
gravity. Let's compare
scintillation - let's share
starlight.”

~Naomi Shihab Nye~

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2014 at 4:47pm

The Arctic Light

This was filmed between 29th April and 10th May 2011 in the Arctic, on the archipelago Lofoten in Norway.

My favorite natural phenomenon is one I do not even know the name of, even after talking to meteorologists and astrophysicists I am none the wiser.What I am talking about I have decided to call The Arctic Light and it is a natural phenomenon occurring 2-4 weeks before you can see the Midnight Sun.

The Sunset and Sunrise are connected in one magnificent show of color and light lasting from 8 to 12 hours. The sun is barely going below the horizon before coming up again. This is the most colorful light that I know, and the main reason I have been going up there for the last 4 years, at the exact same time of year, to photograph.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2014 at 7:09am

Dramatic new portrait helps define Milky Way’s shape, contents

Using more than 2 million images collected by NASA’s orbiting Spitzer Space Telescope, a team of Wisconsin scientists has stitched together a dramatic 360-degree portrait of the Milky Way, providing new details of our galaxy’s structure and contents.

The new composite picture, using infrared images gathered over the last decade, was unveiled today at a TED conference in Vancouver. The galactic portrait provides an unprecedented look at the plane of our galaxy, using the infrared imagers aboard Spitzer to cut through the interstellar dust that obscures the view in visible light.

“For the first time, we can actually measure the large-scale structure of the galaxy using stars rather than gas,” explains Edward Churchwell, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor of astronomy whose group compiled the new picture, which looks at a thin slice of the galactic plane. “We’ve established beyond the shadow of a doubt that our galaxy has a large bar structure that extends halfway out to the sun’s orbit. We know more about where the Milky Way’s spiral arms are.”

http://www.news.wisc.edu/22652

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2014 at 4:08pm

Light Of The Night

A short film capturing just a small sample of the beautiful New England star filled landscapes.

(About 6 mins)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2014 at 3:18pm

Into The Atmosphere

Into The Atmosphere,” is my tribute to the state of California and the beautiful deserts, mountains and coastlines that exist there. This video showcases a variety of national/state parks as well as less recognized natural areas. The video also focuses on clouds, fog and interesting atmospheric conditions. Although California is known for blue sunshine skies, seeing a colorful storm cloud over Half Dome or an incredible sunset at the La Jolla Coves is really a sight to see. The goal of this video is to show these environments in their best possible light.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:20am

Tempest Milky Way Timelapse

South Dakota

http://vimeo.com/28040685#at=0

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2014 at 7:23am

The Overview Effect

Forty years ago, the astronauts of Apollo 8 orbited the moon for the first time and snapped the iconic "Blue Marble" photographs of the earth from space. It was not only an image of stunning beauty; it represented a powerful new perspective of earthly life and its place within the cosmos. It produced a radical shift in self-awareness. The earth has a unity and cohesion we understand intellectually, but which we have only been able to see and feel viscerally through this astonishing view from the outside.

This short film, "Overview," brings together astronauts, who convey their first-hand experience of the "overview effect," and philosophers, who place this cosmic perspective in theoretical context. The film explores how the image of earth from space is a critical catalyst for transcending our sense of individuality and separation, development of a whole-earth perspective, and changing patterns of behavior that can lead to a sustainable approach to life on a fragile planet.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2014 at 8:08am

Seeing in the Dark-Timothy Ferris

"The way that can be named is not the eternal way. " -Lao Tzu, first century B.C.

The awe-inspiring sight of a sky full of stars can render us speechless—and understandably so. Two very different entities are involved, and they're both rather mysterious.

At one extreme stands the individual observer, peering through a telescope or simply staring up at the stars. To ask who is doing the observing is to raise one of the oldest questions of philosophy. "Know yourself," said Socrates, although he made the mistake of assuming that one had to accomplish this before trying to learn about the rest of the universe. (Rejecting a scientific account of the winds, Socrates said, "I can't as yet 'know myself' ... and so long as that ignorance remains it seems to me ridiculous to inquire into extraneous matters.") Actually, we humans have since learned more about ourselves by studying the wider world—by investigating the processes that created life and shaped its evolution—than we ever did through introspection, and we see those processes written large in the depths of the sky.

At the other extreme stands the wider universe itself, unimaginably vast and yet, as Einstein said, "at least partially accessible to our inspection and thinking." Notoriously indifferent to the human condition, the universe is also curiously involving. We feel that we belong to it, or in it—that the blades of grass underfoot are as much a part of the universe as the blazing stars seen through the eyepiece. We may love this sensation, but as it says in the film, "it can be hard to put love into words." So this is a film in which stargazers try to describe an ineffable experience, and invite viewers to share their wordless awe.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 November 2014 at 3:40pm

How Do You Define Yourself? Alan Watts

“We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.” ~Carl Sagan You are a complicated human being living inside your skin, or you are the big bang - the original force of the universe. The source of all light is in your eyes - your eyes evoke light out of the universe; your eardrums evoke noise out of the air; your soft skin evokes hardness out of wood... How do YOU define yourself?

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=4380

Edited by a well wisher - 10 November 2014 at 7:01am
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version