Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Taqwa (God Consciousness) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 25 July 2009 at 10:30am

The Prophet's Advice to Mu`aadh ibn Jabal

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-`Uthaymeen

Mu’aadh bin Jabal reported from the Messenger of Allaah(SAW) that he said,

"Fear Allaah wheresoever you may be, and follow up and evil deed with a good one, it will efface it (the evil deed). And deal with mankind with good manners." Reported by at-Tirmidhi.

This hadeeth is one of the Forty Ahaadeeth of the author, may Allaah have mercy upon him, and in it is that the Prophet(SAW) gave three great and important pieces of advice:

THE FIRST: He said, "have taqwaa of Allaah wheresoever you may be." Taqwaa means to stay away from the forbidden matters and to enact the obligatory matters – this is taqwaa! That you enact what Allaah has commanded you, sincerely for Allaah and in compliance to the Messenger of Allaah(SAW), and that you leave what Allaah has forbidden due to His prohibiting it and to steer clear of it.

For example that you establish the greatest obligation that Allaah has imposed upon you after the testimony of faith – the prayer, and you establish it completely - fulfilling all of its conditions and pillars and obligations, fulfilling all of these perfectly. So whosoever leaves off any of these conditions, pillars or obligations then he has not feared Allaah (to the best of his ability), rather he has been deficient in this to the extent of what he left out.

In Zakaah, the Taqwaa of Allaah lies in your calculating all of your property on which the zakaah is due, and your giving the zakaah as a means of purifying yourself without any miserliness or tightfistedness, or delay. And whosoever does not do this than he has not feared Allaah.

In fasting, the Taqwaa of Allaah lies in your establishing the fast as you have been commanded, distancing yourself from idle speech, obscene words and mannerisms, boisterous behaviour, backbiting and spreading tales and other such things that would make the fast deficient and remove the spirit of fasting. The true meaning of fasting is to fast from that which Allaah, Azza wa Jall, has made forbidden. The same applies to all of the obligations that are used to establish obedience to Allaah, and compliance to His command, sincerely for Him and in following His Messenger. Likewise all the forbidden actions are to be left in compliance to His prohibition.

THE SECOND: "and follow up and evil deed with a good one, it will efface it (the evil deed)." Meaning that when you perform an evil action then follow it up with a good action for the good action effaces the evil. And from the good actions to be performed after the evil is that you repent to Allaah for this evil action, for indeed repentance is from the most noble and excellent of the good actions as Allaah has said, "indeed Allaah Loves those who repent and those who purify themselves." (2:222) And He said, "and repent to Allaah all of you, O believers so that you may be successful." (24:31)

Similarly righteous actions expiate the evil actions as the Prophet(SAW) said, "the five daily prayers and one Jumu’ah to the next Jumu’ah, and one Ramadaan to the next Ramadaan, is an expiation for what lies between them as long as one refrains from the major sins." [Muslim], and he said, "one Umrah to the next is an expiation for what is between them." [Bukhaaree].

Therefore the good actions efface the evil.

THE THIRD: "and deal with mankind with good manners." The first two pieces of advice were those related to relationship with the Creator, this third relates to relationship of the creation to the creation. This being to deal with mankind with the best manners such that you will be praised and not blamed. This by having a cheerful complexion, being truthful in speech, speaking to others nicely and other such good manners.

There are a large number of texts concerning the excellence of having good manners to the extent that the Messenger(SAW) said, "the most complete believer with respect to faith is the one with the best manners." And he informed us that the most deserving of mankind to him(SAW) and the closest to him in ranking on the Day of Judgement would be those with the best manners.

So noble manners, along with their being a way to beautify gatherings and the person who possesses them being beloved to the people, contain a huge reward which will bestowed upon the person on the Day of Judgement.

So preserve these three pieces of advice from the Prophet(SAW) and Allaah is the Grantor of Success.

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2009 at 10:12pm

THE HEART’S CAPTIVATION AND IMPRISONMENT BY SIN

By Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim

From Al-Jawab al-Kafi

He (rahimahullaah) said: And among its effects is that the disobedient (sinner) is constantly in the shackles of his Shaytaan and the prison of his shahwa (desires) and the chains/fetters of his hawaa (whims). So he is a captive, one who is imprisoned and who is tied up.

There is no captive in a worse state than the one who is captivated by his worst enemy and there is no prison which is tighter than the prison of hawa and there is no bond/fetter more strong than the bond of desire.

How, then, will a heart which is captivated, imprisoned and fettered travel unto Allaah and the Home of the Hereafter. How will a person take a single step forward when the heart is bound and harmful things approach it from every direction. The harmful things approach it to the extent that it is tied up [i.e. imprisoned by its desires and whims..].

The example of the heart is like the example of a bird. Every time is ascends it becomes distant from the harmful things and every time it descends the harmful things hurt it. In a hadeeth there occurs that Shaytaan is like a wolf to people. Just as when a sheep has no Protector and is in between many wolves, they are quick in causing damage and injury; likewise the servant who does not have guardianship from Allaah, then his wolf [i.e. his desires, whims etc.] is to him a predatory animal.

[Thus] there is no escape for the servant from having protection from Allaah. Taqwaa is a safeguarding for him and a strong shield between himself and the punishment of this world and the Hereafter.

Every time the sheep is close to its shepherd it is more safe from the wolf and every time it becomes distant from its shepherd it is closer to destruction. So its sanctuary is when it is close to its shepherd because the wolf takes the lonely one from the flock and this is the one which is the furthest one of the flock from the shepherd. The basis of all of this is is that every time the heart is distant from Allaah the harmful things are quick in approaching it and every time it is close to Allaah the harmful things become distant from it.

Remoteness from Allaah has levels/degrees, some of which are more severe than others. Heedlesness distances the servant from Allaah and some acts of disobedience are greater than some acts of heedlesness. Some innovations are greater than some acts of disobedience and some things from Hypocrisy and Shirk are greater than all of what has preceded.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:50pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 December 2009 at 2:44pm
Character of the People of the Qur’aan

“…It befits him to employ…taqwa of Allaah secretly and openly, by exercising caution (wara`) with regards to the sources of his food, drink, dress and earnings. He is perceptive about his time and the corruptions of its people, that he may beware of them regarding his religion. He concentrates on his own situation, having the aspiration to reform whatever is corrupt in his affairs, guarding his tongue and choosing his words. If he speaks, he speaks with knowledge when he sees speech to be correct. If he remains silent, he remains silent with knowledge when he sees silence to be correct. He rarely delves into that which does not concern him. He fears from his tongue things more severe than he fears from his enemy. He imprisons his tongue the way he imprisons his enemy, so that he may be safe from its evil and bad consequences…He is accomodating in countenance, pure in speech. He does not allow himself to be praised for qualities he has, how then for qualities he does not have? He is wary of his self, that it should overcome him for what he desires, of the things that will anger his Master. He does not backbite anyone. He does not look down upon anyone. He does not abuse anyone. he is not happy at the afflictions of others. He neither transgresses upon anyone, nor envies him.

…He has made the Qur`aan, Sunnah and Fiqh his guide to every good and beautiful quality, guarding all his limbs from what has been forbidden. If he walks, he walks with knowledge. If he sits, he sits with knowledge. He strives hard so that people may be safe from his tongue and hand. He does not behave ignorantly: if someone behaves ignorantly towards him, he is forbearing. He does not oppress: if he is oppressed, he forgives. He does not transgress: if he is transgressed upon, he has patience. He restrains his fury to please his Lord . He is humble in himself: when the truth is presented to him, he accepts it, whether from one younger or older. He seeks status from Allaah, not from the creatures. He despises arrogance, fearing for his self from it…If the people wear fine luxury, he wears of the halaal . If his circumstances eases, he eases. If they tighten, he tightens. He is content with little, so it suffices him…He follows the obligations of the Qur`aan and the Sunnah: he eats food with knowledge, he drinks with knowledge, he dresses with knowledge, he sleeps with knowledge, he accompanies his brothers with knowledge, visiting them with knowledge, seeking permission to enter upon them with knowledge, and greeting them with knowledge; he treats his neighbor with knowledge.

He imposes strictly upon himself the honouring of his parents…He prays for their longevity and is thankful for them in old age….He maintains family relations and despises breaking them. If someone breaks off relations with him, he does not break off relations with them. If someone disobeys Allaah regarding him, he obeys Allaah regarding him. He accompanies the believers with knowledge, and sits with them with knowledge. He benefits those who accompany him, being an excellent companion for those whom he sits with. If he teaches another, he is gentle with him. He is not harsh with the one who makes a mistake and does not embarrass him. He is gentle in all his matters, extremely patient in teaching goodness. The learner finds comfort in him, and the one sitting with him is joyous at his company. Sitting with him brings goodness. He educates his companions with the ettiquettes of the Qur`aan and the Sunnah.

If he is afflicted with a difficulty, the Qur`aan and the Sunnah are two educators for him. He grieves with knowledge. He cries with knowledge. He is patient with knowledge. He purifies himself with knowledge. He prays with knowledge. He gives zakaat with knowledge. He gives charity with knowledge. He fasts with knowledge. He performs Pilgrimage with knowledge.He earns with knowledge and spends with knowledge.

He looks through the pages of the Qur`aan in order to teach himself manners and is not pleased for himself to fulfill with ignorance the obligations imposed by Allaah. He has made knowledge and understanding his guide to every goodness…When he studies the Qur`aan his aspiration is not: when will I complete the surah? His aspiration is: when will I be enriched by Allaah, so that I am in no need of other than Him? When will I be of the pious? When will I be of those who excel? When will I be of those who have total trust? When will I be of those who humble themselves? When will I be of the patient ones? When will I be of the truthful ones? When will I be of the fearful ones? When will I be of the hopeful ones? When will I have  non-attachment to the world? When will I have yearning for the Hereafter? When will I repent from sins? When will I recognise the widespread favours? When will I be grateful for them? When will I understand from Allaah His address? When will I understand what I recite? When will I overcome my self regarding its base desires? When will I strive in Allaah with a true jihaad? When will I guard my tongue? When will I lower my gaze? When will I guard my chastity? When will I be ashamed before Allaah with true shame? When will I be preoccupied with my faults? When will I reform the corruptions in my life? When will I call myself to account? When will I take provision for the day of my Ressurection? When will I be pleased with Allaah? When will I have trust in Allaah? When will I be admonished by the warnings of the Qur`aan? When will I be preoccupied with His rememberance away from rememberance of other than Him? When will I love what He loves? When will I hate what He hates? When will I be sincere to Allaah?  When will I purify my deeds for Him? When will I reduce my vain hopes? When will I prepare myself for the day of my death, when my remaining term shall have vanished? When will I build the life of my grave? When will I reflect upon the Standing and its severity? When will I reflect upon my solitude with my Lord? When will I reflect upon the Return? When will I beware that which my Lord has warned me of?

…He, the Mighty and Majestic said, ‘O you who have believed! Fear Allaah and let each soul see what it has sent forth for tomorrow; and fear Allaah: truly, Allaah is aware of what you do.’ [59:18]“

~ The Character of the Bearers and People of the Qur`aan | Imaam abu Bakr Muhammad ibn al-Husayn al-Aajurree (360AH)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 February 2010 at 2:06pm
Taqwa: Between Love & Fear
By Dr. Jamal Badawi

Taqwa is a central concept that has been frequently mentioned in the Qur’an, especially in verses that deal with individual behavior in social relations.

Some of the common English translations of the word taqwa are “piety” and “heed” or “God-fearing.” Each of these translations gives only a partial understanding of this word’s true meaning because it is an attitude that combines many feelings, such as fear of God, heeding, and above all being God-conscious.

Is Taqwa Simply Fear?

The term fear, when used to refer to God-consciousness in the Islamic context, does not mean being scared of God because being scared excludes any feeling of love or respect.

Fear of God means to fear His disobedience and punishment, on the Day of Judgment, and to fear forgetting Him and losing His blessings.

Another partial meaning of fear, which is nobler, is the fear of displeasing God, the One Whom you love. For example, when two people love each other, you find each of them trying their best to please the other and to avoid even forgetting their anniversaries or birthdays. If this is the attitude of humans towards each other, then it is more appropriate that people fear God’s displeasure. People should love God most because they owe everything to Him: their lives, property, and, above all, His guidance to know and worship Him.

So, fear of God is not founded on a vengeful concept of hate and fear of God. It is actually based on love, which leads to a feeling of fear of God’s displeasure

Taqwa and Divine Love

For centuries, philosophers and writers have tried to explore divine love but found that there are some feelings that just cannot be translated into words, especially when a person moves to higher degrees of divine love.

Divine love in Islam is not a type of superficial love but it is considered a mutual genuine feeling between God and man, which is referred to in the Qur’an: [ Then Allah will bring a people, He shall love them and they shall love Him] (Al-Ma’idah 5:54).

The Qur’an connects divine love to taqwa in a verse that says what means[ For lo! Allah loveth those who ward off (evil)] (Aal `Imran 3:76). This shows that divine love is not only manifested in pure acts of worship like prayers, but it is also reflected in different aspects of life. That is why following the path of God is the real test for the genuineness of divine love.

This is beautifully expressed in the Qur’an, while addressing Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him):[Say, (O Muhammad, to mankind): If ye love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful] (Aal `Imran 3:31).

Following this path that God has established for man results in a sense of dependence upon God and a sense of gratefulness to God for all His bounties.

Divine love requires commitment and steadfastness so a person can be prepared to face the different trials and tribulations in life.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) also mentioned that one of the things that a person must achieve in order to feel the sweet taste of faith in his heart, is to love God and His Messenger more than anything else.

This divine love is also the foundation of love for other creatures in the universe because the deep and profound love for humans and other creatures would not be felt by someone who does not truly love God.

Translating Love Into Good Deeds

Various verses in the Qur’an explain the characteristics that a person should have in order to receive God’s love. One of those traits is taqwa or God-consciousness, which is referred to in the Qur’an:[For lo! Allah loveth those who ward off (evil)](Aal `Imran 3:76).

Also, people who constantly repent to God deserve His love:[For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean] (Al-Baqarah 2:222), which means that the door for repentance is open if a person sins, and not only does God accept those who repent, but He also loves them.

A third characteristic is constant self-purification. The Qur’an says what means[And Allah loves those who purify themselves] (At-Tawbah 9:108).

People who do good were also mentioned in several verses:[Surely Allah loves the doers of good] (Al-Baqarah 2:195).

God also loves those who have trust in Him. He says what means[For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)] (Aal `Imran 3:159).

Those who are steadfast and persevering also deserve divine love:[And Allah loves the patient] (Aal `Imran 3:146).

People who are just or judge in equity are also mentioned in the Qur’an as receiving God’s love:[Surely Allah loves those who judge equitably] (Al-Ma’idah 5:42)...

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 August 2010 at 4:42pm
Ramadan and Taqwa

Talk by Sheikh Abdal Hakim Murad - Cambridge - 1 Aug 2010 - 36 mins 48 secs

In this talk, Sheikh Abdal Hakim discusses how to prepare one's body, mind and soul to reap the most benefit from the holy month of Ramadan. He expands on the concept of taqwa and goes on to explain how this enables one to understand the wisdom behind the Divine Commandment of fasting.

Listen to this talk

Download this talk

Meriam  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Meriam Replybullet Posted: 24 August 2010 at 6:13pm
Salamouallaykom sister well wisher,
I really appreciate your posts ...They are like the pearls  or the  stars on the sky coming to enlight our life.
What you report here about Taqwa is magnificient and so valuable to know..
I don't really find the suitable words to say you sister: thank you for your great efforts here to give us the precious usefulness.
God bless you inchallah and all your family.
Go ahead and my prayers.
My best regards.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 August 2010 at 7:55pm
Waalekumassalaam Sister Meriam:)

Thank you for your thank you:)....Jazakh Allah Khair for your kind words and prayers

May Allah make all of us benefit from these teachings and help us in implementing it in our lives Aameen

May Allah bless you and your family too

Take Care Sister....My best regards to you as well.

Fi Aman Allah

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 1:14am

Taqwa, Ramadan and the Quran: The Triangular Link of Our Ethical System

Most of us have encountered many months of Ramadan in our life. Unfortunately, it is a reality that our lives most often have not been touched or affected by this month of fasting, even though every ceremonial aspect of Islam - that is, Ibadah in a limited sense - has special purpose and significance. Indeed, there is no aspect of Islam that is without a purpose or significance. It is either the lack of understanding or negligence to understand that renders our Ibadah into mere rituals. One reason that explains the stagnation of our individual and collective Muslim life is our weakness in building our life in light of the "purpose and significance" of Ibadah...

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 10 October 2010 at 8:47am
Fearing Allaah (SWT)-Imam Suhaib Webb

Part 1 of 7

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 December 2010 at 2:21pm
Khutbah: The True Meaning of Taqwa by Dr. Ahmad Soboh

(24 mins)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2011 at 3:07pm
This "Messy Business" of Culture and Islam

Dr.Abdal Hakim Sherman Jackson

(About 5 mins)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2011 at 4:09am
Arrogance & God-Consciousness by Sh. Hamza Yusuf

(10 mins)

Edited by a well wisher - 13 February 2011 at 5:00am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:45pm
Yaqeen (Certainty)

Truly yaqeen (certainty) is the soul of faith.

Shaytan makes us doubt – that is the best he can do. And that is precisely what we must fight, because the first description of those who have taqwa (God-consciousness) in the Qur’an is:

“Who believe in the unseen…” (Qur’an, 2:3)

Our faith should be as strong as if we can see. If you visited a certain place and saw it with your own eyes, chances are no matter what, no one can tell you it doesn’t exist, especially if you have souvenirs. The Qur’an and the sayings of the Prophet(pbuh) should be as true to us as though we have visited a place – it should be that real. Many of us have experienced the bounty of Allah (swt) – these are our souvenirs. So when things go wrong in our life, we need to be able to go back to that place and hold onto those souvenirs as our anchors – and for that certainty, the reward is immeasurable.

Does that mean nothing bad will ever happen? Of course not. But you will able to see beyond the immediate. Your certainty in Allah (swt) means you know; when bad things befall you, you will reflect on why tests happen and try to learn from the experience. When things turn out well, you know to fall into prostration because that result could not have occurred except by the will and grace of Allah (swt).

There is a beautiful du`a’ (supplication) in this regard. The Prophet(pbuh) used to supplicate:

“O Allah! Grant us such fear of You as will come between us and acts of disobedience to You; such obedience to You as will bring us to Your Garden; and such certainty that the calamities of this world will be made easy for us by You. 1 [Tirmidhi]

Calamities without doubt test our faith, and this is why the Prophet(pbuh) taught us to pray for certainty – so that these calamities are made easier.

Be like the companions. Their faith never wavered because they were certain in Allah’s Words in the Qur’an, and they were certain in what the Prophet ﷺ taught them. They never stopped asking Allah, because they knew it is only Allah that responds to the du`a’ of the distressed.2 They never stopped seeking forgiveness, even when they felt their sins were like mountains, because they knew that Allah’s Hands are open to accept the repentant sinner, over and over again.3 They knew to work hard even if they never saw the fruits of their labor, because they knew that every drop of sweat was recorded with Allah and would never ever go to waste.4 They didn’t let other people’s rudeness get to them, because if they were patient and said words of peace, they were of the people that Allah praised in the Qur’an.5

They fled from Allah, only to Him.

Be like the companions. Have faith.

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationships/withthedivine/yaqeen-certainty/

<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version