Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Taqwa (God Consciousness) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:36am
“I have this memory of my father when I asked him to give me a certain sum of money. It was ten Swiss francs. And I asked him that, and he looked me in the eyes and I was not sure why. He did not ask me, “where are you going, what is it for, when are you coming back” like many parents would do. He said something very important. He gave me the money and he said, “Here, take it. But do not do something that displeases God.” What did he say? He told me all I had to know. He told me, I trust you and if I am not here, God accompanies you, and this is between you and God.

This is Trust. But it is only when someone tells you that, that you know that he loves you and understands you.”

— Dr.Tariq Ramadan
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:20pm

Cashing in on Taqwa

Some of us may not understand what to do next and we may get stuck in the abyss of hopelessness because we no longer know how to fulfill our needs.

How do we call onto Allah to help us?

What changes do we make in our life so that He is pleased and grants our duaas?

Duaa is like a weapon, and a weapon is only as good as the person who is using it; it is not merely the matter of how sharp it us. If the weapon is perfect and free of faults, and the arm of the person using it is strong, and there is nothing stopping him, then he can lay waste the enemy. But if any of these three features are lacking, then the effect will be lacking accordingly. [Ibn al Qayyim]

We must really internalize that He is our Lord and we are His slaves. If He wishes, He has the full capability to keep His blessings away from us. Yet He doesn't do that. Allah has provided us with a solution that will take care of all our needs in this dunia (worldly life) and Akhira. It is that thing you hear in almost every Friday Khutbah and lecture. It is that beautiful provision of Akhira which makes you independent of His creation but so very dependent on Him. Do you know what that is?

A man once came to Hasan al Basri (Rahimullah) and sought help from him in financial matters. He (Rahimullah) replied, "Have Taqwa of Allah! I haven't seen a Taqi (one who has Taqwa) who is in need.

What is Taqwa really?

The Arabic word taqwa comes from the root word 'Waqi' (wow, qaaf, ya) which means to build a shield or a protection against something. Taqwa is, therefore, the feeling that saves the person from sinning: (1) out of fear of punishment and (2) resulting in the slave always being conscious of his actions.

Imagine this world and Akhira (Hereafter) as a huge grocery store where only Taqwa is accepted as the currency. You can only buy what you need through Taqwa. Why not then adopt the Taqwa lifestyle?

It has multiple benefits and there isn't even an electron's weight of loss...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=HH1206-5140

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:14pm

Abdur Rahman Al-Qumash reported: Some wise people used to say,

“A man has not reached the peak of Godfearingness(TAQWA) until the point that if he were to put what is in his heart upon a plate and he went around the marketplace, he would not be ashamed of anything on it.”

[Al-Qumash, Al-Hawi fi Tafsir Al-Quran Al-Kareem]

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2012 at 7:17am

Sometimes, I have a certain need (that I wish to ask) Allah, so I ask Him earnestly. Then, I find that the door of dialogue opens up for me, and I recognize Allah more (I become more aware of Him), and feel humbled before Him, and feel a great sense of joy and happiness, due to which I prefer that the answer to my prayer be delayed, so that this joyous state may continue.

~Ibn-Al-Qayyim (ra)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 November 2012 at 2:08pm

"There are two kinds of action in this world: the successful and the unsuccessful. Now unconsidered, hasty action, driven by passion rather than wisdom, tends to be unsuccessful, and the more emotionally involved one is in a particular action, the more likely one is to fail. To put this in its simplest terms, action must be rooted in contemplation. Contemplation in its turn demands detachment, that detachment which every Muslim should have at his disposal if he is fully aware of life’s brevity, aware of Divine Judgment, aware of the overwhelming presence of Allah (SWT). Here, it seems to me, virtue and practical necessity come together. The more we act as we should, the more likely we are to succeed."

- Hasan Gai Eaton (ra)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 02 December 2012 at 3:44pm

The most important thing is not to start with “Allah seeing our mistakes”, but “Allah is close to our intentions”. And it’s not the same. Your intentions might be good even though the people can’t see them. Ihsan, the highest level of faith. That you worship God as if you are seeing Him, or that He’s seeing you. He is not monitoring your mistakes, He is welcoming your intentions.

~Dr Tariq Ramadan

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 December 2012 at 12:25pm

Prayer of the Mind

Muslim spirituality is demanding and, through the Islamic teaching, touches all the dimensions of life. It begins, at the very moment when one becomes aware of one's human responsibilities before God and among humanity, by finding in oneself "the need of Him." The return to one's self gives birth to a feeling of humility that characterizes the human being before God. This humility should spread wide and deep through all the areas of life: at every stage of working on one's self there wiil be a struggle against complacency, pride, and the pretentious human desire to succeed alone, using one's own resources (on the social, professional, political, or intellectual level). This truly spiritual exercise goes beyond the framework of ritual religious practice or rare moments of contemplation, and its effect should be visible in every aspect of life - in the way which one treats one's body, manages one's possessions, carries out one's professional activities, lives with other people, and interacts with the whole of creation: in everything, those who reflect on the signs and are indwelt by "the need of Him" are invited to distance themselves from forgetfulness and arrogance.

To this state of recollection and humility must be added another concrete dimension of spiritual teaching that requires the establishment of a constant link between the demands of conscience and life choices. To ask ourselves, in every situation in life, the three fundamental questions (What is my intention in this action? What are the limits set down by my morality? What will be the consequences of the action?) will inevitably change not only our way of being but also our way of living. Our spirituality must be intelligent and question the ethical nature of all our activities, even those that appear to be the most natural and simple. This active, intelligent spirituality makes us attentive to the apparently "neutral" aspects of our life, which may sometimes have serious ethical consequence.

To ask the three questions with regards to one's profession means never to consider that any work is ethically "neutral," however scientific it may appear to be. To work for a multinational that plunders the planet, or in an armaments industry that produces death, or for banks that fuel a murderous economic order is not "to say nothing." And beyond these basic questions, the way in which one goes about one's work, and identifies with it and carries out one's responsibilities to perform the activity and to follow the rules in the best possible way, is an active and consequential spiritual undertaking with which everyone's conscience must engage.

~Dr Tariq Ramadan
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2012 at 5:50am

If you want the veil between you and God to be lifted in the next life, lift that veil first in this life. Your sins, your false attachments, your loss of hope in Him, are all holding you back from seeing Him with your heart in this life…and seeing Him with your eyes in the next.

~Yasmin Mogahed
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2013 at 3:12pm

Spirituality, from an Islamic point of view, is the way in which the believer keeps his faith alive and intensifies and reinforces it. Spirituality is remembrance - recollection and the intimate energy involved in the struggle against the natural human tendency to forget God, the meaning of life, and the other world. All the practices prescribed by Islam, especially prayer, are in fact a means of recollection (dhikr).

Excellence, defined as the ideal behaviour of the Muslims, would be to attain a state where there was no forgetfulness. Excellence (al-Ihsan), the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, is "to worship God as if you could see Him, or even if you cannot see Him, He sees you. [Bukhari]" that is, to try to be with God in every situation.

~Dr Tariq Ramadan
CINDY  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CINDY Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2013 at 4:26pm
amen

I AM PRAYING
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2013 at 6:33am
“If you ponder on your own weakness it means He is not far.

If you forget, it means He is leaving you”

—Dr.Tariq Ramadan
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2013 at 1:34pm

Muhammad Abdul Latif Finch on "To know Me is to trust Me"

(About 13 mins)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2013 at 4:55pm

Once you begin to address the essence of your own being, you can begin to understand who you are.

If you don’t know who you are, you’re certainly not going to know whose you are.

That is why self-knowledge is foundational in our religion.

— Sh.Hamza Yusuf
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 March 2013 at 7:11am

“I liberate myself from all the idols, money, power, everything for His sake.”

“How much time do you give to your heart? To your mind?
 To your neighbour?

Ask yourself what you are giving.”

—Dr.Tariq Ramadan
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version