Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Caring for the Elderly Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2009 at 12:48am

Parents: Your Gate to God's Mercy

Those who value their parents and regard them as a means to obtain God's mercy are the most prosperous in both worlds. Those who regard their parents' existence as a burden, or who become weary of them, inevitably suffer the most severe hardship in life.

The more you respect your parents, the greater the respect and awe you feel before your Creator. If you do not feel and show respect to your parents, this means that you feel no fear, awe, or respect toward God. .....

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1248187313816&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 December 2009 at 12:55am

What Is Kindness to Parents?

The parents are entitled by right to kind and dutiful treatment from their children.

Since this is an important duty that Allah emphasized so strongly, it is essential for every human being to know what constitutes kind treatment of parents.

It is no exaggeration to say that for a believer, to be a dutiful son or daughter is to take the way that surely leads to heaven. .......

Apart from financial support, children must respect and honor their parents and extend to them the sort of treatment that befits their status as parents. .....

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1209357701579&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 22 December 2009 at 2:34pm

What Can the Young People Do for the Older Generation?

What do we mean by older generation? The whole idea of age is different when you speak to different people. People who are under twenty usually think anyone over 25 years is “old.” But I guess when we say “old” we mean people who have done their bit for society and may need some assistance to do normal things in life, or even people who are left alone and just feel lonely. Anyway, I’ll leave it up to you to decide who and how old is “old.”

The first thing young people, or anyone for that matter, can do for older people (or anyone) is not to become estranged from them. Older people need young people to be a part of their lives—to remind them of the beauty of life and to keep their memories alive. Older people may not need help financially, although sometimes they do, but they certainly need moral support, just like young people need moral support.

Grown up kids have to make their parents and grandparents feel important and needed. The way this is done differs from one culture to another. You’ll know how to please people in your own culture, so I’ll leave this part up to you....

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2010 at 10:51pm

Nothing Like Family Care for the Elderly-Aging in a Crumbling Capitalism

All aspects of lifestyle in the secular world are in reference to youth, expediency, productivity, and expendability. Globalization has been shaping and grooming us towards objectification of our bodies, our minds, and now our lives as part of the Gross National Product, to serve the State for the benefit of the State, as means of production, and pleasure. When we do not serve as these tools, our presence in society is increasingly questioned.

Here we explore the issue as a problem as presented by Western progress since the industrial revolution, its encroaching impact on developing countries, and the valuable members of society who have made many invaluable contributions, the elderly. We will also explore the solutions that are embedded within the Mercy to Mankind, Islam, and practices that help to realize that it does not have to be all bleak.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 7:16am

Paradise Is At the Feet of Mothers

A man once consulted the Prophet Muhammad about taking part in a military campaign. The Prophet asked the man if his mother was still living. When told that she was alive, the Prophet said: "(Then) stay with her, for Paradise is at her feet." (Al-Tirmidhi)

On another occasion, the Prophet said: "God has forbidden for you to be undutiful to your mothers." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

One of the things I have always appreciated about my adopted faith is not only its emphasis on maintaining the bonds of kinship, but also the high regard in which women, particularly mothers, are held. The Quran, Islam's revealed text, states: "And revere the wombs that bore you, for God is ever watchful over you." (4:1)

It should be obvious that our parents deserve our utmost respect and devotion - second only to God. Speaking in the Quran, God ays: "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents; to Me is thy final Goal." (31:14)

The fact that God has mentioned parents in the same verse as Himself shows the extent to which we should strive in our efforts to serve the mothers and fathers who sacrificed so much for us. Doing so will help us to become better people.

In that same verse, God says: "We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him."

In other words, the debt we owe to our mothers is magnified due to the difficult nature of pregnancy - not to mention the nurturing and attention paid to us in infancy.

Another narration, or "Hadith," from the life of the Prophet Muhammad again shows us just how much we owe to our mothers.

A man once asked the Prophet to whom he should show the most kindness. The Prophet replied: "Your mother, next your mother, next your mother, and then your father." (Sunan of Abu-Dawood) In other words, we must treat our mothers in a manner befitting their exalted position - and, again, revere the wombs that bore us.

The Arabic word for womb is "rahem." Rahem is derived from the word for mercy. In Islamic tradition, one of God's 99 names is "Al-Raheem," or "the Most Merciful."

There exists, therefore, a unique connection between God and the womb. Through the womb, we get a glimpse of the Almighty's qualities and attributes. It nurtures, feeds and shelters us in the early stages of life. The womb can be viewed as one manifestation of divinity in the world.

One cannot help but make the parallel between a Loving God and a compassionate Mother. Interestingly, the Quran does not portray God as exclusively male or female. As a matter of fact, by revering our mothers, we are paying respect to God.

Each of us should appreciate what we have in our mothers. They are our teachers and our role models. Every day with them is an opportunity to grow as a person. Every day away from them is a missed opportunity.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2010 at 4:24pm
Higher Level of Dutifulness -A Prophetic Advice

Prayer for Parents

A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and asked:

Oh! Messenger of Allah, now that my parents are dead, is there any act of dutifulness left for me to do towards them? The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) answered, "Yes, there are four things; supplication for them, praying that they are forgiven, fulfillment of their wills, being kind to their friends and maintaining good relations with those of your relatives with whom your kinship is established only through them." (Abu Dawood and Ibn Majah)

The best  du`aa' one can get is that by satisfied parents to their dutiful children. Allah may defer answering their prayer, though He will definitely answer it. But does the same apply when a child supplicates for his parents? Will his du`aa' get answered too? The answer is a most definitely "yes". Allah orders us in the Qur’an to pray (make du`aa') for our parents, in these terms,

(And lower unto them the wing of submission through mercy, and say: My Lord! Have mercy on them both as they did care for me when I was little. ) (Al-Israa’ 17:24)

Almighty Allah would not have told us to pray Him for our parents if our prayers were not beneficial to them. Our supplication on their behalf, however, benefits us as well. It is a mark of being dutiful, and Allah rewards the dutiful child. In other words, when we pray Allah to be kind to our parents, to have mercy on them and to forgive them, He credits us with a good deed for being dutiful and He answers our prayer bestowing mercy on our parents.

Hence, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who has taught us every good thing tells us to conclude our formal prayers, whether voluntary or obligatory, with a supplication for our parents. Almighty Allah says in the Qur'an,

(
...O my Lord! Have compassion on them, as they brought me up (when I was ) little)  (Al-Israa’ 17:24)

Thus, thinking of one’s parents and remembering their kindness and love to us when we were young, making du`aa' for them in obligatory and voluntary prayer becomes intertwined with worship. It can help our parents attain a higher position in their relation with Almighty Allah during their life and even after death.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) mentions this specifically in a hadith related by Muslim, An-Nassaie, Abu Dawood, as well as Al-Bukhari in "Al-Adab Al-Mufrad" on the authority of Abu Hurairah,

"When a person dies, his actions come to an end, except in one of three ways: a continuing act of charity, (sadaqah), a useful contribution to knowledge, or a righteous child who prays for him ."

Although this hadith has been quoted in "Al-Adab Al-Mufrad" which is considered of a slightly lesser degree of authenticity than Al-Bukhari's compilation of highly authenticated hadiths, known as the "Sahih", the following hadith also reinforces it:

"The rank of a dead person may be raised after his death. He asks; My Lord, how does this come about? He is then told: Your child has prayed for your forgiveness." (Related by Ibn Majah and Malik)

These two hadiths need no comment. A child who does not pray Allah for his parents, particularly, after their death, when he knows that his supplication on their behalf benefits them and him also, is either undutiful or lacking faith.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2010 at 12:48am

Rights of Parents and Relatives

To be obedient to parents and to show kindness to them has been enjoined along with the Oneness and Worship of Allah, in the Holy Quraan, in such a manner that it appears that among human deeds, to obey parents and treat them with respect and kindness is next only to Divine Worship. ...

Pleasing the Parents Causes Allah's Pleasure

Anyone who seeks to please Allah should earn the good pleasure of his parents.  To keep the parents well pleased is essential since their anger and  displeasure will lead to Allah's anger and displeasure. ...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC1004-4140 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2010 at 12:59am

How to respect your parents

Islam teaches us that of the most beloved deeds to Allah, having respect for one's parents is second only to that of prayer ...

One can honour his parents after their death through the following methods:

1.        Performing daily Du'aa' (supplication) for them.

2.        Giving charity on their behalf.

3.        Instituting a perpetual charity on their behalf, such as a mosque, an Islamic Centre, an Islamic library, an Islamic hospital, an orphanage, etc.

4.        Performing Hajj on their behalf, or asking someone to do so.

5.        Distributing Islamic literature on their behalf.

http://english.islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=88942

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 7:22pm
Zur’ah ibn Ibraaheem narrated that a man came to ‘Umar and said to him:

“I have an old mother who is unable to go answer the call of nature, so I carry her on my back. I also help her perform ablution while turning my face away from her (out of respect). Have I fulfilled my duty towards her?”

‘Umar said, “No.”

The man said, “Even though I carry her on my back and exert myself in her service”

‘Umar said: “She used to do the same for you when you were young, while hoping that you will live. As for you, you await when she will go away (die).”

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:16pm

Say not even "Fie" to Parents

In America there are many special days set aside to honor and appreciate special people. Some of these are: Father's Day, Mother's Day, Grandfather's Day, Grandmother's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. We do realize the significance of these occasions and we recognize the ideas, ideals, and philosophies of such days. We appreciate the efforts of those who initiated these occasions for the recognition and appreciation of special people.

As for the appreciation of parents, we admire the efforts of children who remember their parents on such occasions by sending them greeting cards and gifts. However, we hope that the appreciation is not for one single day in a year, but for every day throughout the year. 

PARENTS IN QURAN

A child should respect and appreciate his or her parents every day throughout the year. Allah has asked human beings to recognize their parents after recognition of Allah Himself. Throughout the Quran, we notice that parents are mentioned with appreciation and with respect, even if they are senile ...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0305-1965 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:10pm

Abu Hurayra saw two men and said to one of them, "Who is this man in relation to you?" He is my father," he replied.

He said, "Do not call him by his own name nor walk in front of him nor sit down before him."

Al-Adab al-Mufrad Al-Bukhari

by Imam Bukhari

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 June 2010 at 12:27am
The Status of Parents in Islam 

Our indebtedness to our parents is so immense that it is not possible to repay it fully. In lieu of this, it becomes obligatory for us to show the utmost kindness, respect, and obedience to our parents.

The position of parents, and the mutual obligations and responsibilities, have been addressed in Islam in great detail. The Qur'anic commandments, as well as the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) guide us in this matter. The parent-child code of behavior in Islam is unique, since rules were laid down by divine command ...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IR1006-4202

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:31pm

Treasure Your Parents

Find all the small things that make your parents happy and just do them!

Buy your mom flowers (even if it’s just once!) and do something for your dad that he really appreciates. Why? Simply to make your parents happy. When we go out of our way to make our parents happy we are obeying Allah in being dutiful to our parents and we get a glimpse at what their lives have been like; it allows us to appreciate all that they have done for us.

Every stage in life has a sweetness to it
, and without a doubt one of the sweetest things is being with and learning from your parents. Do not miss out!

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationships/treasure-your-parents/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 November 2010 at 12:12pm

Kindness to Parents in Islam: Duty and Devotion

Islam is a beautiful religion that stresses the qualities of mercy, tolerance and respect among human beings. God has ordained the good treatment of parents and warned us against treating them with disrespect. 

There are several verses in the Quran where kindness to parents is even coupled with the most important aspect of Islam; worshipping God alone.  This indicates that being kind to parents, honouring and respecting them, is extremely important in the way of life that Islam stipulates.

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/social-sphere/449860-kindness-to-parents-duty-and-devotion.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version