Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Caring for the Elderly Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2010 at 12:48am

Kindness to Parents in Islam (Part 2)

In several verses of the Holy Quran, God Almighty makes clear that duty, kindness and gratitude towards one’s parents is the most essential part of Islamic ethics and morals.

However, women in Islam, particularly mothers, have been singled out for the upmost respect and devotion...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/450136-kindness-to-parents-.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2010 at 5:16pm
Islamic teachings of Serving Parents : Shaikh Yusuf Estes

(About 5 mins)

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:06am

Kindness to Parents in Islam (Part 3)

Islam is a religion of justice and compassion that teaches morality and forbids bad conduct in society.

Special merits have been accorded to the elderly; they are treated with respect and dignity. Muslims are urged to honor them and this is especially true when it comes to the treatment of one’s parents.

Although death may take us at any age, parents are often elderly and as such require special care and attention. Even though the rigors of old age may cause parents to be demanding, impatient or petulant, a Muslim is still obligated to treat then with kindness and to look after them lovingly. God linked honouring parents to the command to believe in Him Alone.

“Worship God and join none with Him (in worship); and do good to parents…” (Quran 4:36)

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/social-sphere/450157--kindness-to-parents.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2011 at 2:22pm

The Prophet's Mercy Towards the Elderly

A Sign of Reverence for Allah

Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "It is out of reverence to Allah to respect the white-headed (aged) Muslim." (Abu Dawud; ranked hasan by Al-Albani)

In the hadith above, the Prophet considered respecting the elderly a way to show reverence for the Almighty. He linked reverence for the Creator and  His creatures with veneration of the All-Powerful and the weak elderly. The hadith implies all kinds of respect and care for the elderly: Health care, psychological care, social care, economic care, ending illiteracy, providing education, and other forms of care that the international community calls for today.

In one hadith, the Prophet disavows those who do not venerate the elderly and considers them alien to the Muslim society:

He is not one of us who does not show mercy to our young ones and esteem to our elderly. ...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/3372/442090.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 June 2011 at 2:37pm
Filial Piety---(Birr Al -Walidain)

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf speaks about honoring our parents.

(About 4 mins)
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2012 at 1:30am

The Most Important Act of Kindness

A Reflection on Aging Parents

Like most children, I thought my parents were superheroes.

My mom could open the tightest of jars and could carry us around while she finished her chores.

My dad could come back from a long business trip and still have the strength to play and take care of all six of us.

I was in denial about my parents’ aging until my dad asked me to take a basket of laundry down the stairs for him because he wasn’t able to carry it.

It suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks that they no longer had the strength I thought they’d always have.

Never Show Anger

The hardest part of witnessing our parents age is seeing a regression in their strength and capabilities. The two people who we turned to for a helping hand no longer have the physical strength to do so.

Yet when Allah, glorified is He, speaks of their old age in the Qur’an, He does not advise us to offer physical help to them. Rather He says:

“And your Lord has decreed that you not worship except Him, and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], “uff” (fie), and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.” (Al-Isra’ 17:23)...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/social-sphere/455306-reflection-on-aging-parents.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2014 at 2:07pm

"Your mother and father are two rivers that meet in the spring of your heart."

~Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah~

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2019 at 2:52pm

Parents in Islam [Juz 8] - Nouman Ali Khan

When it comes to treatment of our parents, Allah does not accept a small effort, a mediocre effort, or even a good effort. When it comes to treatment of our parents, Allah has one word: Ihsan (perfection, excellence, the very best)!

(7 mins)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 February 2019 at 4:12pm

Looking After Parents in Old Age | Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf

(3 mins)
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version