Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Prophet Muhammad’s Love for All Beings Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 47 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 September 2009 at 5:22pm
May the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him

The essence of this philosophy is expressed in one of the Prophet’s(pbuh) sayings:

"Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of Allah in private and in public; justness, whether in anger or in calmness; moderation in both poverty and affluence; that I should join hands with those who break away from me; and give to those who deprive me; and forgive those who wrong me; and that my silence should be meditation; and my words be remembrance of Allah; and my vision be keen observation."
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2009 at 2:02am

One of the reasons the companions loved the prophet so much was that he was a down-to-earth person. He never acted as a king or a ruler, but he, peace be upon him, always dealt with people as a normal person. He did not like that people stood up to greet him, nor did he want them to deal with him in an artificial way.

His simplicity and informality were among his main traits, and this earned him the love and respect of others:

Simplicity

Muhammad was a very simple person all his life. He was very unceremonious and informal in his habits. Even when he was the ruler of a state, he ate whatever he was given, wore coarse cloth, and sat on the floor, bare ground or a mat without any hesitation, alone or in the company of others. He ate bread made from coarse flour and even spent days living only on dates. He wore simple clothes and did not like display or show. He liked simplicity and informality in everything.

Worldly things meant little to the Prophet. Ibn Mas`ud said that Allah's Messenger slept on a reed mat and got up with the mark of it on his body. He said, "O Allah's Messenger! I wish you would order us to spread something out for you and make something." The Prophet replied, "What have I to do with the world? I am like a rider who rests for a while under the shade of a tree, then goes off and leaves it." .........

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1158658459861&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2009 at 11:53pm

The Prophet Muhammad’s(pbuh) Message of Peace

A major part of the Prophet’s mission was to bring peace to the world. One of the ways in which he strove towards this end was to attempt to convince people that all men and women, albeit inhabiting very different regions of the world, and different from one another in color, culture and language, et cetera, were in fact blood brothers and sisters. His message was crucial, for a proper relationship of love and respect can be established only if that is how human beings regard one another. To inculcate such feelings, the Prophet would preach to his followers, "You are all Adam’s offspring and Adam was made of clay." And in his prayers to his Creator, he said, "O Lord, all Your servants are brothers."

The Prophet would exhort his followers to live in peace with their fellow men, saying, “A true believer is one with whom others feel secure,” one who returns love for hatred. He used to teach the believers that anyone who would return love only when love was given belonged on a lower ethical plane. The true believer never reasons that only if people treat him well that he will treat them well in return. He is accustomed rather to doing good to those who mistreat him, and to refrain from harming those who do him injury. The Prophet himself set the example. All his recorded words and actions reveal him as a man of great gentleness, kindness, humility, good humor and excellent common sense, with a great love for all people and even for animals.

Despite his position as leader, the Prophet never believed himself to be greater or better than other people. He never made others feel small, unwanted or embarrassed. He urged his followers to behave kindly and humbly, releasing slaves whenever possible, and giving in charity — especially to very poor people, orphans and prisoners — without any thought of reward.

He told the people that "every religion has some special characteristic, that of Islam being modesty." In the absence of such a virtue, no community can have lasting peace. The Prophet’s own modesty, coupled with great strength of character, is depicted in a well-known story of an old Makkan woman who hated the Prophet. Every morning when the Prophet passed by her house, she would empty a basket of rubbish on his head from the upper story of her house. He never once remonstrated with her about this. One day, when the Prophet passed through this area, no rubbish fell on his head. Thinking that the old woman must be ill, he went upstairs to inquire how she was, and found her ill in bed. When she discovered that the Prophet had come to see her, she began to weep, "I ill-treated you, and now you come to inquire after my health!" Ultimately, she became one of his followers. What strength of character, what patience and tolerance the Prophet evinced in refusing to be provoked, preferring rather to show kindness and magnanimity to one who had wished him ill.

His was a high moral character, so that even if badly treated by others, he went on returning good for evil. People harmed him, yet he would pray for them. He would remain patient in the face of oppression and, regardless of the provocation, he would refrain from becoming incensed. In setting this example, his aim was to fashion souls that were God-oriented, that found Allah so great that everything else paled into insignificance. He wanted everyone to have such boundless peace of mind that nothing could disturb him. Such balanced individuals would never then become prey to worldliness. Totally free from negative reaction, they would then be able to turn everything in this world, whether material or spiritual, into food for more profound thought, rather than into pretexts for rash and vengeful action.

The essence of this philosophy is expressed in one of the Prophet’s sayings: "Nine things the Lord has commanded me: Fear of Allah in private and in public; justness, whether in anger or in calmness; moderation in both poverty and affluence; that I should join hands with those who break away from me; and give to those who deprive me; and forgive those who wrong me; and that my silence should be meditation; and my words be remembrance of Allah; and my vision be keen observation."

Throughout the first thirteen years of his Mission, Prophet Muhammad preached in Makkah, but it was in the face of bitter opposition from the Makkans. When it became impossible for him to stay there, he left for Madinah. Wars were waged against him, but he showed his antagonists that the power of peace was far greater than that of war. The peace treaty of al-Hudaybiyyah is a clear example of this, when the Prophet agreed to every demand his antagonists made on the sole assurance that peace would subsequently prevail.

His life’s experience ranged from penury to prosperity, from defeat to success, yet whatever the degree of well-being or hardship, he steadfastly trod the path of moderation. At all times and right till the end, he remained a patient and grateful servant of the Almighty, bringing his message of peace and tolerance to mankind.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2009 at 1:40am

Prophet Muhammad The Teacher of Kindness, Love and Mercy to Humanity

What were his last teachings before he died?

Who did he command people to take care of?

The answer is: the weak and vulnerable in society

In the Farewell Sermon at Hajj, a few months before he died, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said to the people:

"Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers"

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/articles.asp?ref=IC0107-322

On many occasions, the prophet peace be upon him commanded people to be kind to the orphans

He always tought his followers to be kind to their parents, and kind to the elderly

His concern was always for those who had no support, and he was especially kind and generous with the poor

May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2009 at 6:06pm

May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him

Mercy for All

Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) treated everybody, friend or foe, with kindness and taught his companions to do likewise. It is reported by Abu Basra Ghifari that when he was a non-believer he came to Madinah and stayed as a guest of the Messenger of Allah. He drank milk from all his goats at night but the Prophet did not say a word. That night he and all his family slept hungry! The problem of hypocrites in Madinah was a great test for the Prophet and his companions, but he always treated them kindly and with great consideration. Abdullah Ibn Ubayy and his followers embraced Islam, but at heart they were unbelievers and never really accepted Islam.

Their behavior at the time of the Battle of Uhud and on many other occasions was damaging to the cause of Islam, but Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) always treated them with kindness. When Abdulllah Ibn Ubayy died, Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) gave his cloak for his shroud! Some Jews at that time were hostile to Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and his mission, but he was always kind to them. Once he went to the house of a Jew to visit his sick son. He invited the boy to Islam but the boy looked towards his father for his permission. His father gave permission and the boy embraced Islam. Once when the funeral of a Jew was passing, the Prophet stood up as a mark of respect for the dead. Once a Jew complained to him that a Muslim had slapped him. He called that Muslim at once and reprimanded him. In fact, he treated all people with kindness under all circumstances and never showed any ill-will towards anyone or ill-treated anyone. Makhul (Radhia Allahu Anhu) reported Allah’s Messenger as saying, “The believers are gentle and kind like a pliant camel which, when guided lets itself be guided and when made to sit, even on stones, does so.” Mu’adh (Radhia Allahu Anhu) said, “The last injunction Allah’s Messenger gave him when he put his foot in the stirrup was. “Treat people well, O Mu’adh.”

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2009 at 1:38am

The Prophet's Modesty

Muhammad was a perfect model of modesty and humbleness. He never spoke loudly or in an unseemly manner. In the market, he always passed by the people quietly with a smile. Whenever he heard anything undesirable in an assembly, he did not say anything out of respect for the people, but the color of his face showed his feelings and the Companions became cautious. `A'ishah said that she never saw Allah's Messenger laughing so immoderately that she could see his molar teeth, for he only used to smile. ....

The Prophet lived a simple and modest life, both in Makkah as a trader and the Messenger of Allah, and in Madinah as the head of the state and Messenger of Allah. The change in his social status from that of a trader in Makkah to the head of the state in Madinah did not bring any change in his modest living. `Umar reported the Prophet as saying, "Do not exalt me as the Christians have exalted Jesus son of Mary. I am just His servant, so call me Allah's Servant and Messenger." ........

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1158658459670&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 20 September 2009 at 12:40am

`Abd Allah b. al-Hârith said: "I have never seen anyone more in the habit of smiling than Allah's Messenger." [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (3574)]

Even on the day he died, while lying in his sickbed, he did not neglect to smile. While Abű Bakr was getting the people lined up for prayer, the Prophet managed to stand up and move aside the curtain of his room. His face was like a page from a Qur'an manuscript. Yet he smiled at them, a bright full smile. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (639) and Sahîh Muslim (636)]

The prophet (peace be upon him) saw a smile as a gift of joy an emotional gift, not a material one a gift whose substance is received by the heart.
Smiling is not only prescribed upon meeting someone. His advice to smile applies to every occasion where a smile can bring cheer, lighten the mood, or reduce the stress that people are feeling.

Jarîr b. `Abd Allah said: "Since the time I accepted Islam, the Prophet (peace be upon him) never once failed to notice me. Whenever he saw me, he would smile at me." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (2809 & 5625) and Sahîh Muslim (4523)]

It was the Prophet's habit to smile. He even smiled at Fadâlah b. `Umayr and on that occasion Fadâlah had come with the intention to kill the Prophet (peace be upon him)!

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 20 September 2009 at 8:10pm

The Holy Prophet’s(pbuh) Sense of Humor

It is well known that the Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) was indeed the perfect man. He was a devoted seeker of Truth, a warner and exhorter, a person of good cheer and pleasantness, a brilliant leader, a courageous and yet reluctant warrior, a statesman par excellence and the teacher of teachers. He was a compassionate ruler and spiritual leader, but many do not know that the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) had an extraordinary sense of humor!

Indeed, the Holy Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) would laugh and joke often. He enjoyed playing with children, especially his grandsons Hasan and Husayn (RA). The Prophet allowed his grandson to climb atop his back while he was in prostration as reported by al-Hafid Abu-Na’im (RA) on the Authority of Abu Bakr (RA) saying,

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) was leading us in prayer. Hasan, who was still a child, would come to him while he was in prostration, and sit on his back or sometimes on his neck. The Prophet (s.a.w.) would lift him tenderly. When the prayer was finished, they (the Muslims) asked him: ‘O Messenger of Allah! You are doing to this boy what you do not do to another person?’ ‘He is my basil,’ he replied.”"

The Prophet’s playfulness was also coupled with a beautiful sense of humor. He smiled often and would make jokes with members of his community. For example,

“Once, an old woman came up to him and asked for paradise. He said, “Old women do not enter the paradise.” The woman started crying. As she started leaving the room, the Prophet, showing his subtle sense of humor, stopped her and said, “Old women will become young before entering the heaven.” (Al Tirmidhi)

Another recording of the Prophet’s life describes him laughing and joking with another man. The hadith says,

“A man broke his fast (intentionally) during Ramadan. The Messenger of Allah (saws) commanded him to emancipate a slave or fast for two months, or feed sixty poor men. He said, “I cannot provide.” The Apostle said, “Sit down.” Thereafter, a huge basket of dates was brought to the Messenger of Allah. He said, “Take this and give it as charity.” He said, “O Messenger of Allah, there is no one poorer than I.” The Messenger of Allah thereupon laughed so that his canine teeth became visible and said, “Eat it yourself.”

The Prophet brought an uplifting spirit that penetrated the hearts of people. There is a story mentioned about the Prophet and a common merchant that tells us just a little about the spirit he carried,

“One of his companions was Zahir, who used to trade in metal objects. Once the Prophet was passing by the bazaar, he saw Zahir and playfully grabbed him from behind and said, “Will anyone buy this slave?” Zahir laughed and said, “O Messenger of Allah, whoever buys this slave will be in loss.” The Prophet smiled and said, “In Allah’s eyes, your value is high.”

On another occasion a man approached the Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) and asked him for a camel. The Prophet said, “I would give you a camel’s child”. The man said, “O Messenger of Allah. What will I do with a camel’s child?” The Prophet smiled and said, “Is there any camel who is not the progeny of a camel?”

In summary, the Holy Prophet, the perfect man (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) was an image of admiration. He was clear and resolute in matters of importance and obtained the highest character as the Qur’an tells us,

“Verily you are of a high and nobel character.” (68:004)

But he also was a dear friend and beloved companion. His sense of humor brought warmth and love to those who were around him. He never passed someone without a smile and his high achievement of good manners have become the example and traditions of Muslims the world over. This is the Prophet Muhammad (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) and his tradition of good humor.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2009 at 4:28pm

Recognizing People's Qualities

The Prophet & His Companions

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) valued all his Companions, recognizing them as peopleof honesty, integrity, and good judgment. Had they been otherwise, they would not have defied the world around them by accepting Islam.

They were the ones who stood by his side, supporting him in all situations. Those who joined his call in its early days earned an even higher position of distinction. The Prophet was very loyal to all his Companions, but those who were quick to respond to his call claimed a greater share of his love ......

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1248187823105&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2009 at 5:23pm

The Prophet's(pbuh) lessons in Selflessness (Al 'eethar)

Al-’eethar (selflessness: giving preference to others over yourself and considering their happiness and welfare before your own). It is amazing that some Islamic ethics have vanished and become unknown although Islam calls for them and the Messenger (PBUH) propagated such ethics, applied them and practiced them himself.

It is also amazing that there is no exact equivalent for the word “al-’eethar” in any other language like English or French. This is not the case of the word “al-’eethar” only, but also of many other Islamic ethics. The word “Al-haya”, for example, is translated as shyness in English, which does not entirely satisfy the broad sense of the word in Arabic as we have already seen in the lecture of Al-Haia’a. The same can be said about the word “Al-tawadu”, which is translated as humbleness in English; the translation of this word means humility only rather than Al-tawadu with its broad sense. This also applies to the word “al-’eethar”.

Al-’eethar means giving preference to others over yourself and considering their happiness and welfare before your own. That is to say, to relinquish some of the pleasures of life to others; they enjoy them and you lose them. When we say that a person has given preference to another one over himself, it means that he preferred this person to himself for the sake of the reward of the hereafter.

Examples from the life of the Prophet(pbuh)

In a severe winter's night in Al-Madinah, a woman of the Ansar (The Muslims of Madinah who sponsored and defended the Call to Islam) brought a woven velvet cloak to the Prophet (PBUH). The Prophet (PBUH) took it, as he was in need of it to protect himself from the severe cold. Then, the Prophet (PBUH) came out wearing it for the first time, just as you would buy a new suit and wear it for the first time. One of the Companions from the Ansar looked at him and said, “How nice it is! O Messenger of Allah, give it to me”. What would your reaction be if you were in the place of the Prophet? The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Yes” and gave it to him on the spot. Peace be upon you, O Messenger of Allah. Do you realize the meaning of al-’eethar now? The Companions became angry with the Ansari and told him, “the Prophet is in need of it!” The man replied, “I am in need of it more than he is. I want to make it my shroud when I die”.

Here is another example of Al-’eethar:

Twenty three years after the mission of the Prophet (PBUH) had started, Makkah and Khaibar were opened (to Islam) and booty was gained. During this period of the mission, the Prophet and the Companions were suffering hardships and poverty to the extent that the Prophet (PBUH) used to fasten two stones against his stomach out of hunger. After Allah had granted Muslims victory, the Prophet's share of booty was a number of sheep enough to cover the space between two mountains. Imagine! Such a huge number of sheep became the possession of a poor man who had experienced poverty for such a long time. However, the Prophet (PBUH) sought the reward of the hereafter. An Arabian came to the Prophet and looked at the booty. The Prophet asked him, “Do you like it?” The Arabian answered, “Yes.” The Prophet said, “It is yours.” The Arabian wondered, “O Muhammad! Are you serious? The Prophet said, “Yes, take it if you wish”. Do you imagine to what extent one can prefer others to himself? The Arabian ran to the sheep and looking all around him took them all. Then he returned to his people, saying, “Embrace Islam. I have just been with the best man that ever has been. Muhammad gives with the generosity of a person who has no fear of poverty”. The narrator said that the Prophet never retained anything he owned from anyone who asked for it.

A man came to the Prophet (PBUH) and told him that he had nothing to eat. The Prophet sent a messenger to ask his wives if they had food. However, when they were asked, each replied, “No, by Allah I have nothing except water.” The Prophet stood and called his Companions, “Who will entertain this man as a guest?” An Ansari said, “I will, O Messenger of Allah.” Afterwards, the man took the guest and went quickly to his wife and asked her, “Do you have food?” She replied, “We have nothing except the food of my children” - that is to say, the remaining food that could only suffice their children. Then, he told her, “Make your children forget the food, put them to sleep if they ask for supper, and turn the lamp off when the guest comes so that he would think that we are eating and would eat like us.”

Do you see al-’eethar? Nowadays, we see two or three young persons traveling together, each hiding his food in his pocket. They do not eat together as the companions used to, and as the Prophet told us to.

When the guest came, she made her children sleep and turned the lamp off. Then, both of them pretended to be eating while the guest ate until he became full. When they went to pray the dawn prayer, the Prophet (PBUH) said to them, “Tonight Allah wondered at your action”- that is to say, Allah has been pleased with what you have done to your guest this night. Then, Allah revealed what can be translated as “and give them (emigrants) preference over themselves even though they were in need of that” (TMQ 59:9). It means that they prefer others even though they were in toiling, hunger, poverty or need.

They gave preference to their guest although they had nothing. We miss this ethic; we do not hear of it anymore nowadays. Have you ever considered giving preference to anyone over yourself by giving him your new suit for example? Our motto should be the following hadith; the Prophet (PBUH) said, “None of you will have faith till he wishes for his brother what he likes for himself.”This is the motto of al-’eethar. That is to say your faith will be complete only when you wish for your brother what you wish for yourself.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2009 at 5:35pm

The Prophet Muhammad's(pbuh) love of knowledge

One of the distinctive features of Islam is its great emphasis on learning and seeking knowledge. Noble Qur'an and the Islamic Tradition (Sunnah) invite Muslims to seek and acquire knowledge and wisdom and to hold men of knowledge in high esteem. Prophet Muhammad (saw) ordered Muslims to be active in their search for learning, crossing oceans and continents if necessary. "Seek knowledge even in China" he said. The first few verses of Noble Qur'an that were revealed to our Prophet Muhammad (saw) mention the importance of reading, pen, and teaching for human beings. Hence, it is a beautiful prayer for every Muslim to ask always: "O my Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Noble Qur'an, 20:114)

The only limit set to the acquisition of knowledge in Islam is that Muslims should seek useful knowledge. Our great Prophet Muhammad (saw) is reported as having said: "My Lord, save me from the useless knowledge." Any knowledge helping man in performing his God assigned role in this world is useful, other than that is considered useless knowledge.

The mosque of Medinah (Masjid-E-Nabawi) was not only a place of worship. The believers assembled here to learn. When Prophet Muhammad (saw) was present they heard his words of wisdom, his elucidation on the verses of Noble Qur'an and benefited from his counsel.

And when he was not present, other faithful companions taught what they had heard from Prophet Muhammad (saw).

Once our Prophet Muhammad (saw) entered the Mosque before the prayer time. He found two groups in the Mosque. One group was busy with its own act of worship; some were reading Noble Qur'an while the others were supplicating. The other group was in a corner busy learning. They learnt how to read and write and discussed the teachings of Islam and their application to their daily lives. Looking at both, Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:

"They are both engaged in useful pursuits. But I am a teacher. I shall join the group assembled to learn."

So he (saw) sat with the group of students.

Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: The virtue of knowledge is more beloved with Allah (SWT) than the virtue of worship.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 September 2009 at 11:42pm

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)as a leader

Prophet Muhammad’s unique communication and leadership style led to the spread of Islam, not only within Arabia but also outside to the north, south, east, west and southwest of Arabia .  As a leader during wartime or as a leader during peacetime,Prophet Muhammad accomplished his goals in delivering the message of Islam

Prophet Muhammad communicative values of liberty, justice, modesty, and politeness were matched with practical deeds. The people saw this action of his and identified with.  Prophet Muhammad' skills as manifested in his speeches demonstrated to the eyes of all humankind that he was indeed a great leader worthy of note. His skillful use of rhetoric demonstrated his commitment for meaningful competent communication for humankind in general. His speeches demonstrated that he sought to see all humankind from the lens of kindness, modesty, moderation, justice, liberty, gentility, generosity and love.

Regardless of religion and political affiliation, Prophet Muhammad use Islam as a channel to preach kindness. . By indicating to his wife Aisha that she should love the poor, it was an indirect way to teach all humankind to share love and kindness regardless of a person’s economic background. This same implication in the speeches of the Prophet can be discerned in his notion of modesty.

The world today is far from modest. Political factions and all sorts of social and economic discrimination have segmented the human race. People now think more in terms of class. Modesty is exclusive to ‘members of the club’. If you do not belong you can neither be heard nor seen. Prophet Muhammad speeches on the need for modest behavior and his exemplary behavior have a significant meaning to our lives. When he said that every religion must have some kind of meaningful character, he laid emphasis on the fact that Islam was a modest religion.    

On the other hand, he was calling on all Islamic believers to question their conscience whether by following the belief system of Islam, they were practicing its basic tenets of modesty. He who is not has to examine his conscience and choose the rightful path and not be a hypocrite. This is how significant Mohammad’s message is to the world of today. This is what he intended to achieve in his message. Since modesty is akin to moderation, the Prophet’s communication themes also laid emphasis on it. 

His speech about abstaining from extremism in the practice of Islam has a greater significance to our world of today. His intended his message about religious extremism to be upheld through out the lifespan of humankind. He was so emphatic about this issue because he believed that by practicing extreme Islamic rituals or ideals, the person or persons doing so would be following something else than Islam and that kind of attitude could send a different signal to his enemies. And the only way to show to potential followers of Islam that by practicing extreme Islam, they were not true followers of Allah, he said: “ Those people who went to extremes( in practicing their religion) were destroyed.” ( This therefore, shows in no ambiguous terms that Prophet Muhammad condones extreme religious practices. )

The findings on the Prophet's values of moderation revealed that he placed a lot of weight on mannerism. Humankind has to match words with deeds. Believers were not to say one thing and do the other. When told by some of his followers that they will abstain from women and devote their entire energy to prayer, he responded by stating that he was married. This was like an indirect way to inform the speaker that there was no room for pretense. By choosing to abstain you open yourself to irresistible temptation. Getting married would therefore serve as the means to shun sin and other forms of temptation. This is certainly the landmark of difference between Muhammad and other spiritual and secular leaders of his time and today. To begin with, some other spiritual leaders remained unmarried and by deciding to do so created a pattern for their followers to follow suit. But experience has shown that most of these followers could not faithfully follow their religion without falling into the temptation of bodily pleasures. This could have been unwelcome by Muhammad. He foresaw this kind of contradiction and so taught by examples. It was like doing justice to natures calling. The Prophet was in essence advocating justice between sexes.

Muhammad suggested Justice for all humankind. Without justice to the weak, the poor, and the women, there could not be peace in the entire world. “….Whether it be against rich or poor…follow not the lust of your hearts, lest you swerve from doing justice.” (Qur’an, 4:135) This powerful statement has become apocalyptic. Humankind today have all prone to worshipping themselves and yielding to mundane pleasures of money and women and as such have resorted to indulging in all forms of corruption at the detriment of justice. The poor and the weak remain poorer and weaker while the powerful -those with influence and affluence have hijacked the world and set wrongful precedence of monetary and political gains. Allah tolerates only justice in his kingdom. He intended this message for all and not only to Arabs.

General human condition, the world over was the main preoccupation in the speeches of Prophet Muhammad. When he spoke lengthily about truthfulness, he was indirectly sending the strong message of truth as the pillar of strong faith in any religious person. The society that we live today is constantly turning its back on truth and replacing it with untruth or multiple truths to justify falsehoods. Humankind has sort of fashion a way to go around truth and honesty by resorting legitimizing falsehood intended to achieve political, social, economic, cultural and spiritual gains. The Prophet’s message about truth serves as a waking call to our consciences about hell and Paradise .

The Prophet’s message of Islam was intended for the Arabs during the seventh century and to all humankind at all times thereafter. He took advantage of the peace treaty between himself and the Quraish tribe, his main enemy, and sent ambassadors to the world leaders of his time. He informed them about the message of Islam. Most of these leaders responded positively. He used Islam as an example to convince and influence other leaders of his time.

The Prophet Muhammad was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level. As a private person, he was a husband, father, friend and businessman; as a public figure, he was a leader, legislator, judge, statesman and general; as a Messenger of God, he was a law-giver, preacher, theologian, saint and mystic.  Such a combination is unique in history. 

There are sayings from the Prophet related to every activity that a person might encounter during the day or during the night. Islam is a way of life. By exemplifying these qualities that he preached to his people, the Prophet was in essence warning against all other rulers who were saying what they do not practice. He also laid the foundation stone for responsible leadership. A leader was not to be protected by the army and fierce dogs but by the loyalty given by his people. By shaking hands and taking children under his arms, the Prophet made himself human and approachable. This was a lesson that he wanted to teach to all other leaders in the world. 

The farewell speech of the Prophet Muhammad was directed to all humankind at all times and for all generations. He laid down the foundation of morality, justice, equality, brotherhood, and accountability. He abolished economic exploitation and human enslavement. In his speeches on liberty, he preached against the institution of slavery. When he witnessed the slave beating episode as reported in Bukhari, The Prophet demonstrated one of the rare instance of humane leadership by letting Abu Mas’ud Ansari, the accused in this instance that only Allah has ‘power and control over human beings’. This served as a powerful lesson to him awakening his conscience to the realization that indeed, he was doing something very wrong. The fact that he let go of the slave by referring to Muhammad that he let the slave go because of his intervention is to show the power of communicative skills of the Prophet. He did not speak harshly or threateningly, rather he used speech in such a subtle way as to prick the conscience of people. This is what most leaders do not do today. His life serves as the panacea for future leaders who want to rule spiritually or secularly.People all over the world are recognizing the power behind his messages and are slowly becoming aware of themselves. He demonstrated how political leadership can be fruitful.

In his political leadership communication, the Prophet’s demonstration of extreme self-control made his followers to love him and his enemies either to give up and join his religion or to fear him and stay away. There was no human being who had his life more scrutinized and documented than the Prophet Muhammad.  His behavior toward his companions was perfect and towards his foes was fair. In essence, he was kind of educating them about governance.

In his educational communication, the Prophet used different approaches in dealing with different circumstances. Education and training are not merely the matter of correcting mistakes; they also involve teaching and showing the basic principles of the rules and the regulations and using various methods to establish these concepts firmly in peoples minds and hearts, by example, by exhorting them, by telling stories or by discussing incidents.

Even before his Prophet hood, he was known by “the trusted and the honest one”.    By talking of values that are necessary to influence and inspire others, he provided a basis for understanding how he was able to accomplish so much during his brief Prophet-hood.  Hundreds of books have been written for that purpose in most languages of the world.  The Prophet taught exactly what the ancient Prophets had been teaching. The high and noble aim of preaching such a universal religion is to unite the nations of the world, establish peace, and eradicate all causes of conflict. Today the world is out of joint. People all over the world are searching for peace. The light of scientific knowledge is spreading. But it has signally failed to dispel clouds of hatred and hostility which spread darkness. Every now and then, plans for world peace are put forward. But they prove all to be superficial. The most effective panacea for world peace was proclaimed by the Prophet Muhammad.  He forcefully exhorted the people that they should cherish reverence for the Prophets of all nations, and live up to their revealed teachings. This style of speech communication was tried with unparalleled success in Arabia , where the warring tribes were cemented into brotherhood. Belief in the unity of God alone can bring about unity among nations.  As this teaching is universal in character, the Prophet who gave it to the world, was rightly entitled "mercy for all people” (Bukhari).   

The Prophet laid the foundation and the guidelines for establishing peace and justice among the nations. If any teachings can put an end to conflicts and strengthen the bonds of human brotherhood in these times of crisis, it is the Prophet's teachings.

The Prophet Muhammad’s life and teaching center on the values he espoused in his public communication.  His teachings focus on values identified by Burns (1978) who defines a transformational leader and in addition focus on extraordinary values which are gleaned from a textual analysis of his public communication.  Bass (1985) explained that transformational leaders “inspire followers to transcend their own self-interests for the good of the group or organization” and that “followers become motivated to expend great effort than would normally be expected” (p. 18) when they are adequately inspired.  Muhammad did inspire, and continues today to inspire followers to follow his teachings and public communication and his directives.

Muhammad demonstrated character values of gentleness, good character, humility, kindness, modesty, moderation, politeness, and truthfulness.  He suggested community values of charity, forgiveness, hospitality, and mercy.  The values he suggested are an excellent complement to the transformational leadership values of liberty, justice, equality, and collective well-being. Muhammad’s interactions with all people, both in spiritual and secular dealings, impressed upon them the importance of his character and values.  Because of his strong values, he was believable and trustworthy, encouraging all to follow the will of Allah.

The Prophet was successful in his leadership because he suggested and lived the values important to leadership.  His public communication was successful because he provided a living example of his suggestions within his own interactions with family, believers, and non-believers.  His daily interactions as husband, father, friend, businessman, public figure, and messenger of God all reinforced his leadership ability and values orientation.  The importance of Muhammad’s public communication through history is unquestioned (Hart, 1992).

The life of the Prophet Muhammad was like an open book, especially when he started to deliver the message of Islam. Prophet Muhammad practiced what he preached. The Prophet’s wife Aisha was asked about his moral character.  She responded that his morals were based on the Qur’an.  It is clear that his extraordinary values, which allowed him to accomplish so much, too were based on the teachings of the Qur’an and the words and will of God.Prophet Muhammad was a farsighted visionary leader.  The Hudaybia treaty showed the Prophet’s wisdom in accepting some terms in the treaty that a companion of the Prophet like Omar ibn al Khatab refused. It was proven later on that these terms that the Prophet accepted and Omar refused were for the benefit of Islam. Prophet Muhammad intended for his message of Islam to be global. As soon as he signed the Hudaybia with Quraish, he sent ambassadors to invite kings and states around the Arabia to Islam. The Prophet said “each Prophet used to be sent to his people in particular, while I was sent to all humankind, and Allah, glory to him, the exalted said in the noble Qur’an: “say: humankind! Lo! I am the messenger of Allah to you all, (the messenger) of Him to whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth” (Qur’an, 7:158).

Prophet Muhammad possessed not only transformational leadership values but that he also possessed extraordinary values which made him a unique leader in the history of humankind.  The transformational leadership values Prophet Muhammad exemplified are liberty, justice, equality, and collective well being.  His public communication also demonstrated the values he espoused.  He preached of family values that include affection and kindness for children, children honoring their parents, the importance of educating the children, financial security for wives after the husband’s death, husbands treating their wives with kindness and gentleness, respecting even foster parents, brothers, and sisters, and the importance of loving and honoring relatives.  The Prophet Muhammad’s speeches focused also on character values that include gentleness, humility, kindness, moderation, modesty, politeness, and truthfulness.  His public communication included the admonition of community values that included charity, forgiveness, hospitality, and mercy.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:47pm

Whenever his followers reaped their first harvest, they brought their fresh fruits to the Prophet  peace be upon him as a token of gift. Then he would distribute them among those who sat around him. One morning, a poor man brought a single fruit from his small farm and gave it to the Prophet (pbuh).

He accepted the gift, tasted it and then went on eating it alone while the companions watched. One of those present meekly said:

O Prophet of Allah, you have over looked the right of those who watch while you eat?

The Prophet (pbuh) smiled and waited till the man who had brought the fruit had gone.

He then said:

"I tasted the fruit and it was not yet ripe. Had I allowed you to have some of it, someone would have definitely shown his distaste, thus disappointing the poor man who had brought the gift."
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 25 September 2009 at 5:17pm

He regarded the neighbours as brothers and sisters because of their closeness and living in the same vicinity. He once smelt the aroma of the soup cooked by his wife. He told her to give some of it to the neighbours who also smelt it. He said it was not right for a Muslim to sleep with a full stomach after having had a good meal but let his neighbour starve. He laid the foundation for a friendly relation and cooperation among neighbours exemplifying that living as a neighbour one has one’s right and responsibility.

In regard to the rights of a neighbour, the Prophet(pbuh) said:

"Help him if he asks your help; give him relief if he seeks your relief; show him concern if he is distressed and when he is ill; attend his funeral if he dies; congratulate him If he meets any good; sympathize with him if any calamity befalls him; do not block his air by raising your building without his permission and do not harass him."
<< Prev Page  of 47 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version