Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue  
Message Icon Topic: Positive Muslim / Non-Muslim Relations Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 90 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:11am
Non-Muslim Women Take Hijab Challenge in Ramadan

DOHA – Women of various faiths are wearing hijab during the month of Ramadan as part of a unique challenge to draw attention to the discrimination faced by Muslim women who wear the religious outfit.

“We are not only proud of our participants of 30 Day Ramadan hijab challenge but truly humbled and honored by their outpouring support,” Nazma Khan, the founder of World Hijab Day, told SBS News.

“They are making a huge difference by bringing awareness of hijab which is very much misunderstood especially in the western world. Through their participation, we are hoping to break the negative stereotypes hijab-wearing women face worldwide on a daily basis.”

Ellie Lloyd, and her 11-year-old daughter Grace, are two non-Muslim women participating in the 30-day World Hijab Day (WHD) organization’s month-long challenge.

Residing in Qatar, their challenge involves wearing the hijab to raise awareness around the bigotry aimed at hijab-wearing Muslims.

Young Grace Lloyd, a British Christian, was the youngest participant to take on the challenge.

“I was very self-conscious that morning because I didn’t know how people would react. But when I was about to walk in [to school] I heard ‘wooo’ and when I went in everyone was clapping in my class and it was really nice,” Grace said in a YouTube video...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/middle-east/non-muslim-women-take-hijab-challenge-ramadan/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:13am

London Synagogue Hosts Interfaith Ramadan Iftar

LONDON – Muslim Mayor Sadiq Khan joined Britain’s Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis on Wednesday at London synagogue for an interfaith Ramadan iftar attended also by other faith leaders.

“I’m delighted so many young Londoners are a part of this Iftar because as Mayor I always enjoy spending time with young Londoners and listening to what you have to say,” Khan told the audience, Jewish News reported.

“It fills me with optimism because you are so much more open-minded, you are so much more progressive in your outlook than even the previous generation that came before you.”

“I’m confident that those who seek to divide us will never succeed. What convinces me of this is you, our young people. Because you reject the narratives of hate, you reject anti-Semitism and Islamophobia, you reject all forms of racism and discrimination and you know that our diversity isn’t a weakness but our greatest strength, it isn’t a challenge to be managed but an asset to be unlocked.”

Hosted by St John’s Wood Synagogue on Wednesday night, the Iftar was organised by the Naz Legacy Foundation, established in memory of Muslim community leader and educationalist Naz Bokhari.

The event also included Dame Sarah Mullally, the newly installed Bishop of London, and Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster. Politicians including Labour MP Rupa Huq were also present.

Addressing the multi-faith audience of over 100 people, the Chief Rabbi said: “It’s good for all of us to be together at a time when there is so much intolerance, that we are showing understanding and tolerance and affection towards others.

“At a time when there is a very worrying level of hate within our society, it’s great that we should show our sense of togetherness. It’s sending out such a hugely important message for us to be here, and it is seriously pleasant.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/europe/london-synagogue-hosts-interfaith-ramadan-iftar/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:34am

Toronto Hindu Temple Hosts Ramadan Iftar Event

TORONTO – A Ramadan Iftar event that brought Muslims and Hindus together with other ethnocultural and faith communities was held on Friday, June 1 at Pickering’s Hindu temple, Devi Mandir.

Pickering is a city located immediately east of the City of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

“I think the whole idea of a rising tide of inequality in the world is a tragedy and when you have events such as this one, bringing people together to break bread, there is nothing that makes us feel more connected even to strangers like when we come together to eat,” Mary Gordon, the evening’s keynote speaker told the gathering.

Mary Gordon is recognized internationally as an award-winning social entrepreneur, educator, author, child advocate and parenting expert who has created programs informed by the power of empathy.

In 1996 she created the Roots of Empathy program in the Canadian province of Ontario. Her not-for-profit organization of the same name offers programs in every province of Canada and in many countries across the world...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:55am
A Non-Muslim’s Lessons From Ramadan Fasting

From the first day of fasting all the way through to the end, Muslims from all walks of life increase their worship and try their utmost to reach out to fellow Muslims as well as other faith communities under a shared banner of humanity.

Chonleedonya was surprised by this when experiencing her first Ramadan fast:

“Even as a Christian I never felt that sense of belonging which was very strange since I’d been a Christian my entire life at that point...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2018 at 4:36am

Minnesota Police Officers Host Ramadan Iftar for Muslims

ST. PAUL – In a nice gesture to strengthen bond between its staff and the Muslim community, the police department of St. Paul in Minnesota hosted a Ramadan Iftar for its officers and 50 members of the Muslim community at the Western District station on June 12.

“Mahmud Kanyare, the executive director of the non-profit Youth and Family Circle, suggested the idea to us, we agreed immediately,” Police Chief, Todd Axtell told Twin Cities.

“I attended such gatherings in the community but, I can’t recall another time that one was held at the St. Paul police department,” he continued.

On his behalf, Kanyare said: “We don’t want to only call on the police in emergency cases or for the police to only come to us when something bad happens.”

“We want to continue to build the relationship between our community and the police,” he concluded...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/minnesota-police-officers-host-ramadan-iftar-muslims/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:05am
American Church Members Support Local Mosque

ROCHESTER – Members of churches in Rochester, Minnesota US, have revealed their support for Masjid Abubakr Al-Seddig in their city after an Islamophobic attack that targeted the mosque on June 23, KIMT3 News reported.

Rochester’s citizens and the Mayor Ardell Brede gathered at the mosque on June 24 to sympathize with Muslims after an Islamophobe left a bacon outside the mosque.

“I was appalled, simply appalled. It made me really sad,” Charlie Leonard, lead pastor at Good Shepard Lutheran Church, told KIMT3.

“They are community members. They contribute to our community, they contribute to the good fabric of Rochester,” he continued.

On his behalf, Colin Lange of Rochester said: “Ignorance makes you afraid of people different from you.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/american-church-members-support-local-mosque/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:51am
New York Schools Start Offering Halal & Kosher Meals

NEW YORK – The Congresswoman, Grace Meng, backed a one-million-dollar pilot program that would provide halal and kosher lunches to children in New York City public schools. Forward reported on June 21.

This decision goes in consistency with a bill presented earlier this year by New York’s assemblyman, David Weprin, who suggested to the city’s schools to offer halal and kosher options for their students.

“I have long called for halal and kosher meals to be made available in New York City schools and I’ve made similar calls on the federal level as well,” Meng said in a press release.

“This pilot program is a great. I’m happy that Jewish and Muslim students will finally have lunch options that adhere to their dietary restrictions,” she continued.

Muslim and Jewish advocates united in favor of supporting the bill and the program...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 July 2018 at 7:08am
Imam Shelters Hundreds of Christians in Mosque

NGHAR YELWA – A religious, kind-hearted and brave Muslim Nigerian cleric saved 262 Christians from attacks on June 23 in Nghar Yelwa village, central Nigeria, BBC reported July 1...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/africa/nigerian-imam-shelters-hundreds-christians-mosque/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 July 2018 at 7:17am
Muslim Newcomer Families Celebrate Canada Day

OTTAWA – Every July 1, Canada celebrates its national day, an occasion poignantly special to Muslims who have recently come to the country.

“I think a lot people find Canada a safe place. It’s nice to be reminded annually that it’s still a safe haven,” Mohammed Al-Radi, Syrian Muslim husband of Lamees and father of three-year-old Qaseem, told Atlantic CTV News.

Al-Radi family are among tens of thousands of refugees who have found refuge in Canada. They were able to make new friends who celebrate the national occasion with them in full hospitality.

Hannah Gray is a part of an NGO that sponsored Al-Radi’s to come to Truro in 2016 from a Syrian refugees camp in Jordan.

The NGO helped Al-Radis in getting new jobs, enrolling in English classes, and entering Qaseem to a daycare...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-newcomer-families-celebrate-canada-day/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2018 at 1:46am
Imam Who Sheltered 300 Christians Invited for Presidential Honor

LAGOS – Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has invited 83-year-old brave Muslim imam for a handshake and a national honor to commend his role in sheltering and protecting Christians during attacks on June 23  in Nghar Yelwa village, central Nigeria.

The decision was taken after reports revealed how imam Abdullahi Abubakar saved about 300 persons when suspected Fulani herdsmen invaded about 15 communities in Barkin Ladi LGA, killing scores, The Punch newspaper reported.

“I hid the women in my personal house and after that, I took the men into the mosque and hid them there,” Imam Abubakar said...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 August 2018 at 6:11am
What Andalusia can teach us about peaceful co-existence between religions today

Saadane Benbabaali is an Algerian academic whose ancestors came from what is now the southern Spanish region of Andalusia. He has retired from teaching literature and Arabic at Paris University III.

But for 15 years, Benbabaali has led groups of students on annual trips to Andalusia to share his passion and knowledge about the region and its rich history.

He believes that the period of Arab Muslim rule over the Iberian peninsula was arguably the only time in European history when Muslims, Jews and Christians lived relatively peacefully together, producing a common culture and harmonious society.

He also thinks that the period and place have powerful lessons for what he sees as today's fractured world. "Today we need all those [Andalusian] philosophers, thinkers and Sufis, who like [scholar] Ibn Arabi, made love the basis of human relationships," explains Benbabaali.

(2 minutes)

Full documentary:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2018 at 8:23am
Longer Table Breaks Islamophobia Ice in Minnesota

HUDSON, Minnesota – American Muslims from across the St. Croix River in Minnesota were invited to share potato salad and stories at Hudson’s Lakefront Park, Minnesota, where more than 350 people met on picnic tables spanning over 160 feet.

“I am so happy to see the Hudson community reaching out to Muslims, saying, we want to put a face and a name to Muslims,'” Hanadi Chehabeddine, who works as a public speaker on Islam and as a diversity consultant, told Hudson Star Observer.

“We don’t want them to just be the ‘other’ or ‘them.’ Now it’s ‘Hanadi,” she added.

The event, hosted by the Hudson Inclusion Alliance, was designed as an opportunity for people to build stronger ties with area residents and discuss ways to make Hudson more inclusive...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/longer-table-breaks-islamophobia-ice-minnesota/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2018 at 7:57am
Picnic Unites Omaha Muslims, Jews, Christians

OMAHA – Fostering mutual understanding, respect and friendship, people of all faiths gathered at the Tri-Faith Picnic at Omaha’s multifaith campus Sunday, sharing food and talk.

“I think it binds people here,” said Nizam Qassem, a member of the mosque that the American Muslim Institute opened on the campus in 2017, Omaha.com reported.

“Wherever there are people and food, there is fun.”

More than 500 Muslims, Jews, and Christians gathered under giant tents sharing bowls of salads and trays of deserts.

Hosted by Temple Israel, the gathering followed any picnic standard, with only one exception since the burgers were halal and hot dogs kosher...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/picnic-unites-omaha-muslims-jews-christians/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 August 2018 at 6:12am
Italian Craftsman Gifts Painting to Mosque in Germany

COLOGNE – 50-Year-old Italian craftsman, Sarafino Pagetti, has presented a faience painting to the Selimiye Mosque in Bamberg in Bavaria, to express his gratitude.

“Whenever I came here, I was treated with a warm, welcoming feeling. I have never felt alienated, they treated me like a brother,” Pagetti, who spent last Ramadan at the Turkish mosque, told Anadolu Agency.

“Nobody has treated me like Mehmet Cetindere, president of the mosque’s association, in my entire life; I love this place and congregation because of this,” he said.

The Italian craftsman, a non-Muslim, has lived in Germany for 50 years and specializes in making tiles...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/europe/italian-craftsman-gifts-painting-mosque-germany/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 90 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version