Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue  
Message Icon Topic: Positive Muslim / Non-Muslim Relations Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 91 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2018 at 4:46am
Wesleyan University Appoints New Muslim Chaplain

MIDDLETOWN, Connecticut – On October 8, Wesleyan University in Connecticut, announced Malik Shakoor as its new Muslim chaplain after a single-year candidacy despite the track normally takes roughly three to six years, Wesleyan Argus reported on October 15.

“I had to hit the ground running, trying to get a feel for it. Seeing where the school is psychologically and emotionally,” the Muslim convert said.

“One of my biggest strengths is engaging with students, engaging with faculty, and trying to see what is needed from both the Muslim Student Association and the students in totality. I am a chaplain to all. Not just spiritually, but emotionally,” he added.

Shakoor began his role as a chaplain by meeting with Director of the Office of Spiritual Life Rabbi David Leipziger Teva and the leader of the Muslim Student Association Eunes Harun, discussing the needs of the student body.

The basketballer who knew Islam at the age of 23 believes the best approach to faith is a practical one.

“Don’t just tell me about your religion. Show me, don’t make it so intellectual,” Shakoor said...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/wesleyan-university-appoints-new-muslim-chaplain/

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 22 October 2018 at 12:32pm
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2018 at 12:35pm
Maryland Muslims Plant Interfaith Trees

FREDRICK, Maryland – Members of different faith groups came together in Fredrick’s Islamic center, Maryland, on Sunday, October 21, to plant trees and raise awareness about climate change.

“In the Quran, God tells us you are sent to this earth to protect it, not destroy it,” Omar Mahmassani, Islamic Society of Frederick board member told The Fredrick News-Post.

The 13 trees planted were part of an interfaith event coordinated by the society and the Multifaith Alliance of Climate Stewards of Frederick.

According to Mahmassani, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged tree planting as a way to give charity to a community.

Barb Trader, a member of the Multifaith Alliance of Climate Stewards of Frederick, shared a similar opinion, adding that trees are important symbols in many religions and faith communities.

“All of our faith traditions believe that this planet was given to us by whatever creator we believe in,” she said.

“We see it as a matter of faith to steward the planet as a way of love and respect.”

The interfaith event comes just weeks after the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report released October 8 that found that if global temperatures rise to even 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels there will be steep rises in global food shortages, dangerous weather, and drought. These effects could be felt within 20 years.

Trader warned that people should take steps to reduce the damage of climate change, like planting trees.

“We see this mostly as a moral obligation for our children and our children’s children, who will share this planet,” she said...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/maryland-muslims-plant-interfaith-trees/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2018 at 3:30am
Austin Muslims Open Doors to Counter Hate

AUSTIN, Texas – The Muslim community in Austin, Texas, have opened their doors to welcome people of all faiths inside their mosque, following a series of vandalizing attacks targeting their worshipping houses and businesses alike.

“There are large numbers of Muslims who would rather be unnoticed as opposed to rocking the boat,” the North Austin Muslim Community Center, Imam Islam Mossaad, told KUT.

“We want to let the new generation of Muslims that grew up in America, that were born and raised in America, to bring that American outspokenness to our community and to represent the community positively.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/austin-muslims-open-doors-counter-hate/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 October 2018 at 5:35am
30 Australian Mosques Open Doors to Public

CANBERRA – Thirty mosques across Australia opened their doors on Saturday, October 27, to the public, in an initiative aimed at removing stereotypes and misconceptions about Islam.

The Canberra Islamic Center is one of the mosques that opened their doors.

The center’s president Zafar Ahmad said open days were important to increase understanding in the community.

“It’s so people who aren’t from an Islamic background can exchange views and see the place,” Ahmad told The Canberra Times.

“We just want to break some barriers, and terms like ‘us’ and ‘them’ shouldn’t be the case, and people can come in and find out a bit more about us.”

Canberrans were given the opportunity to speak to members of the Islamic community and take part in question and answer sessions throughout the day.

Opening their doors regularly to the public, these events were getting more attendants each year...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/australia/30-australian-mosques-open-doors-public/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:45am
US Muslims Offer Protection for Pittsburgh Jews after Shooting

The Muslim community of Pittsburgh has offered protection to the Jewish religious services in the city after a mass shooting that killed 11 people last week.

“We just want to know what you need,” Wasi Mohamed, the executive director of the Islamic Center of Pittsburgh said during a Sunday news conference.

“If it’s people outside your next service protecting you, let us know. We’ll be there,” Mohamed said.

“If you need anything at all, if you need food for the families, if you just need someone to come to the grocery store because you don’t feel safe in this city, we’ll be there. And I’m sure everybody in the room would say the same thing.”...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 November 2018 at 5:10am
Columbus Muslims, Jews Unite Against Hate

OHIO – Shared discrimination in the American society against both religious groups is bringing Muslims and Jews together in central Ohio, uniting people of all faiths against hate, NBC4i reported on October 31.

“An attack against one of us is an attack against us all. The thought crosses my mind that someone could walk in and kill us. That crosses my mind every single time I go to the mosque,” expressed Usjid Hameed of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

“When you have people of the Jewish faith targeted and attacked we recognize that it’s our job as American Muslims to speak up and stand with them side by side,” he said.

Putting differences aside to put faith in each other. The Muslim organizations across the US have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for families of shooting victims in Pittsburgh...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/columbus-muslims-jews-unite-hate/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2018 at 12:35pm
Canadian Muslims Welcome Neighbors into Mosques

TORONTO – Mosques across Canada opened their doors on Saturday, November 10th and welcomed their neighbors on a day designated as Visit My Mosque Day.

“In essence, Visit My Mosque Day is about opening a channel for Muslims and non-Muslims to interact, thus building bridges to a stronger Canada,” said Canadian-Muslim Vote (CMV), organizer of the event.

“Through Visit My Mosque, we hope that questions are answered and connections are created.” ...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/canadian-muslims-welcome-neighbors-mosques/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 November 2018 at 6:02am
KPMG Leads the Way for Muslims, Minorities in the UK

LONDON – Workplace discrimination is a real issue affecting many individuals and organizations across the UK.

Leading the way in an effort to counter this unjust practice is one of the ‘big four,’ KPMG who employ over 180,000 in the financial services sector around the world.

On Tuesday, 13th of November, KPMG hosted a talk at their UK head office in Canary Wharf London with three speakers diligently sharing insight on the subject of workplace discrimination, each talking about their experiences and suggestions on how to tackle an area affecting not just Muslims, but other religious minorities...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 November 2018 at 4:01am
Australian Police Join Imams for Football Fun

BRISBANE – Australian imams invited once again officers from Queensland Police Service (QPS) and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) as well as local politicians for a football tournament to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Bosnian Islamic Center in Brisbane, MyPolice reported on November 13.

“These events are the types of relationships that contribute to making our communities safer for all,” Chief Superintendent Brian Swan APM said.

“Keeping communities safe is our core business and to do this effectively, the assistance and cooperation of the community are vital.”

Despite the hot summer weather, the tournament was enjoyed by all and was followed by a presentation and a formal luncheon for all delegates.

The QPS team showcased creative playing but lost against the AFP who qualified to meet the Imams’ team on their home turf in the grand final.

Despite the AFP’s valiant efforts, the Imams proved too strong and claimed a well-deserved 5-1 victory in the final...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/australia/australian-police-join-imams-football-fun/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 November 2018 at 2:59am
Seattle Muslims, Jews Work to Find Solutions to Hate Crimes

SEATTLE – Each of the Muslim and Jewish communities in Seattle have been working independently to counter rising hate crimes, finding solutions to the recent spike in attacks.

“I’ve heard incidences of people using slurs at people wearing hijabs, physically pushing them and throwing things at them because they are Muslim,” Amina Ibrahim, a trainee at the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), told Q13 Fox...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/seattle-muslims-jews-work-find-solutions-hate-crimes/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:09am
Mitzvah Day: Jews and Muslims come together to cook chicken soup

Mitzvah Day is a "day of social action to bring people together", which is led by the Jewish community but involves people of different faiths.

This year's event in London was based at East London Mosque.

Volunteers from Muslim Aid and Stoke Newington Shul came together to make 1,000 bowls of chicken soup for the local homeless population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-46256725/mitzvah-day-jews-and-muslims-come-together-to-cook-chicken-soup

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 November 2018 at 3:38am
‘A Huge Blessing’: Chicago Faiths Unite to Give Special Thanksgiving to Needy

CHICAGO – “Warm Wishes from Northwest Indiana Islamic Center, and First United Methodist Church, and New Day Community Church.”

This is the message on the handmade greeting card designed for the needy during Thanksgiving, and the card  was signed by 3-year-old Muslim boy, Isaac Musleh with the help of Becky Chambers, a member of that last church in Hobart, Indiana, Chicago Tribune reported on November 21...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/huge-blessing-chicago-faiths-unite-give-special-thanksgiving-needy/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 November 2018 at 3:08am
Ruman Project: Group Thanks Muslim Women in Month of Giving Thanks

WASHINGTON – In the month of giving thanks and gratitude, an American group has launched its second annual initiative throughout the month to give thanks to the inspirational Muslim women who are shaping their society.

“It’s important to note that recent years have been difficult for many Muslim women around the globe, due to the rise of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim hate crimes,” a statement shared by the Ruman Project read.

“Throughout the month of November, many people in the United States and abroad will focus on showing their gratitude, counting their blessings and giving back to their communities.”

The group launched the campaign to counter rising trends of anti-Muslim sentiments across the US...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 November 2018 at 9:51am
“Meet a Muslim Day”: California Students Combat Islamophobia

CALIFORNIA – The Muslim Student Association (MSA) at California State Polytechnic University, in Pomona, California, has hosted “Meet a Muslim Day” at University Park to inform students about the value of Islamic culture and religion.

“The number one reason there is Islamophobia is that people have never actually met a Muslim,” said Hadi Nasr, a third-year urban regional planning student and president of the Muslim Student Association, The Poly Post reported.

“Their only perception of what a Muslim is through media and typically those outlets are not the best representation of what a Muslim is.”

During the event, held on Tuesday, November 20, booths provided a variety of cultural activities to encourage students to start a conversation about defying Islamophobia and stereotypes about Muslims and to help them really understand the religion and culture of Muslim people...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/meet-muslim-day-california-students-combat-islamophobia/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 91 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version