Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Mulla Nasruddin Stories... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:55pm

Nasruddin opened a restaurant, with a good kitchen, attractive settings and an excellent menu.

One of his friends came along soon afterwards, and said: ‘Why have you not got a sign, like all the other eating-places?  I suggest that you put on it “RESTAURANT: FINEST FOOD”.’

When the sign was painted and put up, another enquirer asked: ‘You have to be more specific-you might mean any old restaurant.  Add the words “SERVED HERE” and your sign will be complete.’

He thought that this was a good idea, and he head the signboard duly altered.

Not long afterwards someone else came along and said: ‘Why do you  put “HERE”?  Surely anyone can see where the place is?’

So he had the sign changed.

Presently a further curious member of the public wanted to know: ‘Do you not know that the word “SERVED” is redundant?  All restaurants and shops serve.  Why not take it out?’

So that word was taken out.

Now another visitor said: ‘If you continue to use the phrase  “FINEST FOOD”, some people will be sure to wonder whether it really is the finest, and some will not agree.  To guard against criticism amd contention, please do remove the word “Finest”.’

And so he did.  Now, just the word “FOOD” was to be seen on the notice, and a sixth inquisitive individual put his head through the doorway.  ‘Why have you got the word “FOOD” on your restaurant: anyone can see that you serve food here.’

So finally he took down the sign. 

As he did so, he could not help wondering when somebody who was hungry, rather than curious or intellectual, would come along…
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2012 at 6:25am

“Life: sometimes the man on the saddle, sometimes the saddle on the man.”

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2013 at 2:49pm
The Power Of Words

Nasruddin often wandered far off to the countryside. One day, as he passed near a village, he was approached by a woman who felt he was a sage, and told him of a sick child nearby. She beseeched him to help this child. Nasruddin came to the village, and a crowd gathered around him, for such a man was a rare sight. One woman brought the sick child to him, and he said a prayer over her.

“Do you really think your prayer will help her, when medicine has failed?” yelled a man from the crowd.

“You know nothing of such things! You are a stupid fool!” said Nasruddin to the man.

The man became very angry with these words and his face grew hot and red. He was about to say something, or perhaps strike out, when Nasruddin walked over to him and said:

“If one word has such power as to make you so angry and hot, may not another have the power to heal?”

And thus, he healed two people that day.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:30pm

Knowing The Future

Mulla Nasrudin was cutting a branch off a tree in his garden one day. While he was sawing, a man passed by in the street and said, “Excuse me, but if continue to saw that branch like that, you will fall down with it.”

He said this because Nasrudin was sitting Nasrudin said nothing. He thought, “This is some foolish person who has no work to do but go around telling other people what to do and what not to do.”

The man continued on his way. Of course, after a few minutes, the branch fell and Nasrudin fell with it.

“My God!” he cried. “That man knows the future!”

He ran after him to ask how long he was going to live. But the man had already gone.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2013 at 5:12pm

A wizened sage, from beyond Ashsharq, a far-off Eastern land, had arrived in the village. His philosophical expositions were so abstruse and yet so tantalizing that the usual company in the teahouse soon became convinced that he could perhaps unveil for them the mysteries of life.

Nasruddin Hoja listened to him for a while. ‘You know,’ he said, ‘I have had experiences something like yours on your travels. I, too, have been a wandering teacher.’

‘Tell me something about it, if you must,’ said the elder, somewhat ruffled at the interruption.

‘Oh, yes, I must,’ said Nasruddin Hoja. He continued:

‘For instance, there was the trip which I took through Kurdistan. I was welcomed everywhere I went. I stayed at one  lodge after another and the crowd was mesmerized by me. I was given free lodging at caravan-serais (roadside inns), free food at teahouses. Everywhere the people were impressed.’

The old sage was becoming impatient at all this personal publicity. ‘Did nobody ever oppose anything you said, at any time?’ he asked curiously.

‘Oh, yes,’ said Nasruddin Hoja. ‘Once I was beaten up and put in the stocks, then driven out of town.’

‘Why was that?’

‘Well, you see, the people there happened to understand Turkish, the language I was doing my teaching in.’

‘What about the people who had welcomed you?’

‘Oh, they were Kurds; they have a language of their own. I was safe as long as I was with them.’

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 10 September 2013 at 4:08pm

The Noble Kingdom of Nasruddin

Nasruddin, deep in thought, was walking down a road near the palace when he bumped into a man.

The man got very angry and began shouting at Nasruddin.

“Do you know who I am!”, he screamed. “I am the king’s advisor in his court!”

“That is nice”, said Nasruddin . “As for me I am King,” he added.

“A King?” asked the man. “Over which country do you rule?”

“I rule over myself,” replied Nasruddin.

“I am the master of my passions. You would never find me losing my temper as you just did.”

The man apologized for his behaviour, and walked away feeling ashamed of himself.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2014 at 2:33pm
Instant Reading

“A certain famous Fakir was claiming in the village that he could teach an illiterate person to read by a lightning technique. Nasrudin stepped out of the crowd: 'Very well, teach me – now.' The Fakir touched the Mulla's forehead, and said: 'Now go home immediately and read a book.' Half an our later Nasrudin was back in the market-place, clutching a book. The Fakir had gone on his way. 'Can you read now, Mulla?' the people asked him. 'Yes, I can read – but that is not the point. Where is that charlatan?' 'How can he be a charlatan if he has caused you to read without learning?' 'Because this book, which is authoritative, says: “All Fakirs are frauds”.”

― Idries Shah, Caravan of Dreams
<< Prev Page  of 7
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version