Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Mulla Nasruddin Stories... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:36pm

One evening Nasrudin was stopped by a policeman.

'This is a summons for driving through a "Stop" light.'

Nasrudin said:

'When I go into court, I shall ask for it to be balanced against all the times I have stopped at the "Go" light and never been credited for it.'

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 November 2009 at 2:17pm

One day the village teacher told Nasrudin that he had decided to travel across the land to seek additional knowledge. When the young man asked him what kind of people he should look for,  Nasrudin recalled some wise words he had once heard in the bazaar:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Shun him.

He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child. Teach him.

He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep. Awaken him.

He who knows and knows that he knows is wise. Follow him.

Nasrudin paused for a moment and then continued,

" But you know how difficult it is my son, to be sure that the one who knows and knows that he knows ....really knows."
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 November 2009 at 4:30am

Nasrudin is sitting among a circle of disciples ,when one of them asks him the relationship between things of this world and things of a different dimension.

Nasrudin says,"You must understand allegory."

The disciple says, "Show me something practical-for instance an apple from Paradise."

Nasrudin picks up an apple and hands it to the man.
"But this apple is bad on one side-surely a heavenly apple would be perfect."

"A celestial apple would be perfect,"says Nasrudin;"but as far as you are able to judge it, situated as we are in this abode of corruption, and with our present faculties, this is as near to a heavenly apple as you will ever get."

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:20am

Nasrudin was walking along a lonely road one moonlit night when he heard a snore seemingly directly beneath his feet. Suddenly he experienced fear and was about to flee when he tripped over a dervish lying in a pit which he had dug for himself, partly underground.

"Who are you?" the Mulla stammered.

"I am a dervish, and this is my contemplation place."

Nasrudin replied, "You will have to let me share it. Your snoring frightened me out of my wits, and I cannot continue any further this night."

"Take the other end of this blanket, then," said the dervish without much enthusiasm, "and lie down here. Please be quiet, because I am keeping a vigil. It is a part of a complicated series of exercises. Tomorrow I must change the pattern, and I cannot stand any interruption."

Nasrudin fell asleep for a while. Then he woke up, very thirsty.

"I am thirsty," he told the dervish.

"Then go back down the road, where there is a stream."

"No,I am still afraid." replied Nasrudin.

"I shall go for you then," said the dervish. "After all, to provide water is a sacred obligation in the East."

"No, please don't go for I am still afraid to be alone!"

"Take this knife, to defend yourself then," said the dervish.

While he was away Nasrudin frightened himself still more, working himself up into a frenzy, which he tried to counter by imagining how he would attack any demon who threatened him.

Presently the dervish returned.

"Keep your distance, or "I'll kill you!" said Nasrudin.

"But I am the dervish," said the dervish.

"I don't care who you are-you are maybe a demon in disguise. Besides, you have your head and eyebrows shaved!" The dervishes of that order shave their head and eyebrows.

"But I have come to bring you water! Don't you remember-you are thirsty!"

"Don't try and ingratiate yourself with me, Demon!"

"But that is my hole you are occupying!" said the dervish.

"That's hard luck for you, isn't it? You'll just have to find another one." replied Nasrudin.

"I suppose so," said the dervish, "but I am sure I don't know what to make of all this."

"I can tell you one thing," said Nasrudin, "and that is that fear is multidirectional."

"It certainly seems stronger than thirst, or sanity, or other peoples property," said the dervish.

"AND you don't have to have it yourself in order to suffer from it!" said Nasrudin.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2009 at 2:34pm

Nasrudin was showing a manuscript, which he had written, to a visitor.

This man said: 'But this word has been incorrectly spelt.'

He at once deleted the word and wrote it in the manner of which his guest approved.

When the man left, Nasrudin was asked: 'Why did you do that, considering that the "correction" was in fact inaccurate, and you wrote the wrong word where the original one had been right?'

He answered: 'That was a social occasion. The man thought he was helping me, and thought that the expression of his ignorance was an indication of knowledge. I applied the behaviour of culture and politeness, not the behaviour of truth, because when people want politeness and social interchange, they cannot stand truth. Had I stood in relation to this man as teacher to student, matters would have been different. Only pedants imagine that their duty is to instruct everyone, when the motive of the people is generally not to seek instruction, but to attract attention.'

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 November 2009 at 2:54pm

A man was caught in a river current, and hanging on to some rocks to avoid being carried away. Another man saw this, and said, “Give me your hand so I can help you out.” The man in the river heard this, but did not cooperate.

Nasrudin saw this happening. He walked over to the man in the river, and asked, “What do you do for a living?”

“I collect taxes,” the man replied.

“Then take my hand,” Nasrudin said, and the man finally cooperated.

Nasrudin turned to the other man who was watching, and remarked, “Tax collectors speak the language of take, not the language of give.”

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:47pm

The Judge asked the defendant, “Mulla Nasrudin, do you understand that you have sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

“I do,” nodded the Mulla.

“Now what do you have to say to defend yourself?”

“Your Honor,‘ replied Nasrudin: ‘under those limitations … I have nothing to say."
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:03pm

Mulla Nasruddin was walking along an alleyway one day when a man fell from a roof and landed on top of him.The other man was unhurt-but the Mulla was taken to the hospital.

"What teaching do you infer from this event?",one of his disciples asked him.

"Avoid belief in inevitability, even if cause and effect seem inevitable!Shun theoretical questions like:'If a man falls off a roof will his neck be broken?' He fell - but my neck is broken!"
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 30 November 2009 at 2:51pm

Nasrudin handed a boy a pitcher ,told him to fetch water from a well and gave him a clout on the ear."And mind you don't drop it!"he shouted.

An onlooker said, "How can you strike someone who has done nothing wrong?"

"I suppose ,"said Nasrudin, "that you prefer me to strike him after he has broken the pitcher, when the pitcher and water are both lost? In my way the boy remembers, and the pot and contents are also saved."
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:32am

Taking A Shortcut

It was a wonderful morning, and the Mulla was walking home.Why, he thought to himself, should he not take a shortcut through the beautiful woodlands beside the dusty road?

"A day of days, a day for fortunate pursuits!"he exclaimed to himself plunging into the greenery.

Almost at once , he found himself lying at the bottom of a concealed pit.

"It is just as well I took this shortcut," he reflected , as he lay there; "because if things like this can happen in the midst of such beauty-what catastrophe might not have developed on that uncompromisingly tiresome highway?"

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2009 at 11:00am

The moon is more useful than the sun

One day, the Mullah's son asked him, "Which is more useful, the sun or the moon."

The Mullah replied, "My son, of course the moon is more useful. It provides us light at night, when it is dark. The sun, alas, shines during the day when there is already light."
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2009 at 1:12pm

A disciple went to Nasrudin for advice.

"I am in desperate need of help - or I'll go crazy. We're living in a single room, my wife, my children and my in-laws. So our nerves are on edge, we yell and scream at one another. The room is hell!"

"Do you promise to do whatever I tell you?" said Nasrudin gravely.

"I swear I shall do anything."

"Very well. How many animals do you have?"

"A cow, a goat and six chickens."

"Take them all into the room with you. Then come back after a week."

The disciple was appalled. But he had promised to obey! So he took the animals in. A week later he came back, a pitiable figure moaning, " I'm a nervous wreck. The dirt! The stench! The noise! We're all on the verge of madness!"

"Go back," said Nasrudin, " and put the animals out."

The man ran all the way home. And came back the following day, his eyes sparkling with joy.

"How sweet life is!

The animals are out. The home is a paradise - so quiet and clean and roomy!"

Edited by a well wisher - 06 December 2009 at 2:38pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:42pm

A farmer asked Nasrudin whether his olives would bear in that year.

"They will bear," said the Mulla.

"How do you know?"

"I just know, that is all."

Later the same man saw Nasrudin trotting his donkey along a seashore, looking for driftwood.

"There is no wood here, Mulla, I have looked," he called out.

Hours later the same man saw Nasrudin wending his way home, tired out, still without fuel.

"You are a man of perception, who can tell whether an olive tree will bear or not. Why can't you tell whether there is wood on a seashore?"

"I know what must be," said Nasrudin, "but I do not know what may be."

Edited by a well wisher - 06 December 2009 at 2:43pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:42pm

An excellent architect lovingly built many beautiful palaces. Eventually he was tired of his labor and went to Nasrudin, the King's Vizier, and asked if he could retire. Nasudin asked the architect to build one last palace. He said, "Money is absolutely no objection. You have one year to build us the best palace possible."

The architect started eagerly but he was exhausted and soon he started to do shoddy work. He cut a corner here and a corner there. After all, this was his last project and no one would notice. When it came to the materials he used cheaper materials since he could not be bothered to search for the best. After all, who would notice? Only he, was the one who could tell the difference. One by one the architect did less than his best. Eventually even though no one else could tell the difference the architect knew that this palace was no where near his best. However, he was still pleased that it was complete and at last he could retire.

The year had passed and the architect presented his substandard work to  Nasrudin.  When the inspection was over, he turned to the architect and said, "You have done well. This is the King's retirement gift to you."
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version