Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Why can't I make a decision? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 12 Next >>
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Topic: Why can't I make a decision?
    Posted: 22 July 2010 at 6:02pm
I don't know what's wrong with me.  I still can't decide if I want to convert or not.  Sometimes, I just want to go right to the local masjid and say my shahada.  I've been going to a local masjid on Mon and Wed for 2 hour classes.  I've also gone to a 2 1/2 hour women's group at the masjid.  My son has gone with me twice to learn Arabic and learn about Islam.  He likes it. 

I enjoy masjid so much and I love that Islam is about worshipping one God and not some son of God, etc.  It seems like many of the messages of Islam make sense.  But something continues to hold me back.  I guess I'm worried because it's not really a decision you can go back on.  And that is something that I really don't like too much about Islam.  Apostacy is taken so seriously and is basically a crime in the religion.  I also worry about learning the prayers and everything.  If I convert, I want to be a really good Muslim.  I don't want to mess up and slack off.

Anyway, I know that this is a personal decision so I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting this.  Thanks for reading it.

Sister Searching

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 6:58pm
Hello Sister Searching...

Thank you for sharing

Nothing is wrong with you...You are just walking your path and making a sincere effort to know...Masha Allah your son likes learning as well:)

The Qur'an says:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error." [2:256]

This is an unambiguous affirmation of freedom of faith given by God which also applies to changing of faith...Only God has the right to judge...Apostasy is punishable in case of treason...when people misguide others and accept Islam to sow sedition and then leave it when the objective is met (hypocrites )...Even the ones God would punish eventually in His court most probably would be the ones who knew the truth in their heart(had surety) and yet for whatever reasons chose not to submit and leave...thats a choice everyone is faced with ...even Muslims.

So the only thing you should focus on is your relationship with God or finding the truth which you Masha allah are already doing..I think since He is witnessing your struggle ,He would guide you to the answers Insha Allah...please don't lose hope at any point and keep praying..Don't worry too much...Whatever you choose eventually would be for the best Insha Allah

Just follow your heart when the time comes...Like every major decision, this is a leap of faith ...May God ease your heart soon and help you with your answers.. Aameen

Take Care and God Bless You

Edited by a well wisher - 22 July 2010 at 7:18pm
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
shamstar  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote shamstar Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:24pm
Salam Searching,

The law of Apostacy is only applicable if you live under Islamic Sharia Law, something which does not exist in any Country.  Apostacy was punishable by death only when Muslims left and colluded with the enemy against the Muslims or the apostate left and caused serious problems, like talking others into leaving, thus causing problems in Muslim societies.

The Law states there is no compulsion in religion, you would be free to leave Islam, but ultimately God would still judge you in the hereafter and that judgement will come to us all regardless of being Muslim or not.  

Best advice I can give you is...

Our beloved Prophet Pbuh said:

"If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but God Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Servant and His Apostle, and that Jesus is God's Servant and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, God will admit him into Paradise with the deeds which he had done even if those deeds were few."

I would say hold onto this as it will save you from being of the losers. 

Good luck in your journey, whatever you decide. 
UmDanu  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote UmDanu Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:55pm
Can you really see yourself going back, Searching?  To worshipping a man?
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 9:52pm
Thank you all for your answers. You all had very good points. And kind words. And UmDanu, I laughed when I read your post. I actually never have thought of Jesus (PBUH) as the son of God. I guess I was never really Christian in that case. I belong to no religion. I just believe in only one God for now and pray.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by UmDanu

Can you really see yourself going back, Searching?  To worshipping a man?

I disagree with you. We worship only one God or His different revelation as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Please do not be confused. Do you not agree that the almighty God could reveal Himself or His presence to human beings in a hundred different ways if He wants? Do you limit Gods ability and power?

Muslim readers like to make the following argument: 1 God (the Father)+1 God (the Son)+1 God (the Father Spirit) = 3 Gods. Therefore Christians worship three Gods. Certainly they are confused about deity and non-deity. They apply non-deity mathematics to deity. We cannot compare deity with non-deity. Deity is eternal, while non-deity is mortal. Deity is perfect, while non-deity is imperfect. Deity is pure, while non-deity is impure. The difference between deity and non-deity is like sky and land, and in fact even more. Deity is like infinity, while non-deity is like finite. For non-deity mathematics, 1 + 1 + 1 = 3. But deity mathematics, infinity + infinity + infinity = infinity, not 3 infinities. There is no such thing as 3 infinities.

I ask Muslim brothers to pray earnestly to your God (Allah) to reveal Jesus in your dream or vision if He is really the Son of God or not. I believe this is the best way to know the true nature of Jesus.
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:43pm
I don't understand the trinity at all. It makes no sense to me.
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:02am
Hi searching

While Christianity is all about a faith based relationship with God, apparently you took it as a religion such as Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. As you said before, you might never be a Christian before. A Christian is one who has received Jesus as the Savior and Lord in the heart. It does not matter if the person goes to church every Sunday, or he/she was born to Christian parents, or he/she was baptized when young, or he/she was a priest, pastor or even Pope. One important feature of a Christian is overflowing joy in a loving relationship with God through Jesus Christ. "God is love" (1 John 4:16). I will explain it more tomorrow.
stranger  
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote stranger Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:28am

sister searching...

you said before that you believe in the basic messages of islam so basically you are a muslim in your heart and well in your actions as well so all that is left is testifying to the message of islam

i think maybe think it over and find the reasons as to why you are being held back and remember that Allah wants all muslims to be sure about their faith...

anyways just keep asking Allah to help you with your decision

and try not to worry so much (its bad for your health...speaking from experience)...islam is really not meant to be hard and i hope Allah makes it easier for you

Edited by stranger - 23 July 2010 at 1:12am
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:05am
Freedom lover,

I just can't pray through Jesus or to Jesus and I don't believe that he is my personal savior. I only pray to God. Jesus has been elevated in Christianity to the level of God. This human has been elevated even above God in Christian's eyes. How can a human be looked at as a savior? And how can you think that you are taken care of through Jesus? Where did God go in this picture? I see the WWJD and all the other Jesus worshipping ads from Christians and truly wonder if they ever think of God at all, or is just about Jesus (PBUH) now, a human?

I just don't believe in the basic foundation of Christianity at all. Islam honestly makes more sense to me. But thank you for your input. I appreciate all input.
Babalawo
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Babalawo Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:20am
Originally posted by searching

I don't understand the trinity at all. It makes no sense to me.

You don't have to understand at all. Faith, as I see it, is not the corollary of reason. To be a believer you must be willing to accept things that make no sense. I've heard it said that the production of the Qur'an is a miracle in itself. Were I to be a rational man I could say that the Qur'an is just part of great Arab oral tradition, and a such, no miracle at all. But billions of Muslims accept it as God's revealed word, and the fact that it may not speak to me personally doesn't make it any less true or redeeming.

Look, Jesus of Nazareth was either the illegitimate son of a carpenter or the Christ. Believing the latter notion flies in the face of reason. But for those who were willing to be sacrificed in the sand of countless Roman colosseums in the name of that same Jesus, it wasn't senseless at all. Those whose faith in that Christ formed the basis for their fight against injustice can't all be easily dismissed as misguided, senseless people. I don't know what makes anyone think that Jesus is going to save them when they have Bull Connor, dog leash in hand, staring them in the eye.

No, none of it makes any sense. You make your decision according to what your heart tells you. Your brain can only get in the way here. Come to think of it, so does reading the opinions of absolute strangers like me in internet fora.

Edited by Babalawo - 23 July 2010 at 1:25am
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:56am
Make sincere pleas for God to guide you, and to protect you from the whispers of the devil.

Do you believe that there is nothing worthy of worship except for Allah, your Creator? That no person, object, or even idea is worthy of your devotion and love, and effort in this life, except for Allah?

And do you believe that Muhammad is Allah's messenger to mankind?

If you believe these things, then in your heart you're already a Muslim, right?
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 9:27am
Searching,

the previous posts gave you already good advice. The only thing I can add is that, when I read your posts, I have always the feeling you are already a Muslim. You have learnt very much about Islam, and some of your answers are better than those of born-Muslims or long-time converts.
To me you are already Muslim, but you don't know it yet
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 9:39am
Originally posted by searching

I don't know what's wrong with me.  I still can't decide if I want to convert or not.  Sometimes, I just want to go right to the local masjid and say my shahada.  I've been going to a local masjid on Mon and Wed for 2 hour classes.  I've also gone to a 2 1/2 hour women's group at the masjid.  My son has gone with me twice to learn Arabic and learn about Islam.  He likes it. 

I enjoy masjid so much and I love that Islam is about worshipping one God and not some son of God, etc.  It seems like many of the messages of Islam make sense.  But something continues to hold me back.  I guess I'm worried because it's not really a decision you can go back on.  And that is something that I really don't like too much about Islam.  Apostacy is taken so seriously and is basically a crime in the religion.  I also worry about learning the prayers and everything.  If I convert, I want to be a really good Muslim.  I don't want to mess up and slack off.

Anyway, I know that this is a personal decision so I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting this.  Thanks for reading it.

Sister Searching

Hi searching

This is a short description of my spiritual journey with God.

When my children were small, I remember the deep satisfaction of watching them sleep. Sometimes the day had been filled with problems and disobedience, but asleep they looked contended, secure, and peaceful, and I was reminded of how much I love them. They do not have to do anything for me to love and enjoy them. I am happy to just watch them breathing, because they are my own children. This is how God loves His children. When they are sleeping, God gazes at them with love because they were His idea. He loves them as if they were the only person on earth. You may have had unpleasable parents or leaders as you were growing up. Please do not assume God feels that way about you or God were like them! He knows you are incapable of being perfect and sinless. God loves us just as we are, because we are His own children.

Although we were the enemy of God by sin and rebellion against Him, everybody can again become the children of God by receiving Jesus Christ as the Savior and Lord. Jesus said He is the way to the Father.  I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6). Yes, we become the children of God again only by accepting Jesus as the Savior and Lord who died on the cross to save us. We do not need to perform religious duties and rituals to make God happy. When people deeply experience the breadth and depth of God's love that was most explicitly demonstrated through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross for all human beings, they naturally stay away from immorality. This is the most powerful way to stay away from sin. I am one of many living examples. I am as moral as anybody in the forum, not because I am threatened by hell fire, but because I am deeply moved and touched by the unconditional love of God through Jesus Christ. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

We are greatly thankful to God that the broken relationship with God was restored by the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ on our behalf. We are joyful because we are confident of our eternity in heaven and the heavy burden of life was lifted from our shoulders. We are also holy because the deep experience of Gods love through Jesus causes us to gladly stay away from sin. Yes, both JOY and HOLINESS describe well our spiritual journey with our Creator. God wants to have a loving relationship with YOU. You only need to open your heart to Jesus Christ and that is all! I hope you will fall in love with God so intimately and deeply that you would feel like you were the only person in the entire universe with God. God is love. (1 John 4:16).

You deserve much better than who you are now. You were born for much better than who you are now. You were created to be loved by God, not to perform religious duties and rituals.

Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version