Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Why can't I make a decision? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by searching

I don't know what's wrong with me.  I still can't decide if I want to convert or not.  Sometimes, I just want to go right to the local masjid and say my shahada.  I've been going to a local masjid on Mon and Wed for 2 hour classes.  I've also gone to a 2 1/2 hour women's group at the masjid.  My son has gone with me twice to learn Arabic and learn about Islam.  He likes it. 

The month of Ramadan is usually a good time to make such a decision. For some reason, it is easier to pray in Ramadan, and it is easier to do good deeds

If there are any doubts you have left, I suggest you make a check list of them to specify what exactly you need to clarify.

Making du'aa for God's Guidance is also an excellent approach

May Allah guide you to the right decision

Ameen

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by freedom-lover

I don't know what's wrong with me.  I still can't decide if I want to convert or not.  Sometimes, I just want to go right to the local masjid and say my shahada.  I've been going to a local masjid on Mon and Wed for 2 hour classes.  I've also gone to a 2 1/2 hour women's group at the masjid.  My son has gone with me twice to learn Arabic and learn about Islam.  He likes it. 

I enjoy masjid so much and I love that Islam is about worshipping one God and not some son of God, etc.  It seems like many of the messages of Islam make sense.  But something continues to hold me back.  I guess I'm worried because it's not really a decision you can go back on.  And that is something that I really don't like too much about Islam.  Apostacy is taken so seriously and is basically a crime in the religion.  I also worry about learning the prayers and everything.  If I convert, I want to be a really good Muslim.  I don't want to mess up and slack off.

Anyway, I know that this is a personal decision so I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting this.  Thanks for reading it.

Sister Searching

Hi searching

This is a short description of my spiritual journey with God.

When my children were small, I remember the deep satisfaction of watching them sleep. Sometimes the day had been filled with problems and disobedience, but asleep they looked contended, secure, and peaceful, and I was reminded of how much I love them. They do not have to do anything for me to love and enjoy them. I am happy to just watch them breathing, because they are my own children. This is how God loves His children. When they are sleeping, God gazes at them with love because they were His idea. He loves them as if they were the only person on earth. You may have had unpleasable parents or leaders as you were growing up. Please do not assume God feels that way about you or God were like them! He knows you are incapable of being perfect and sinless. God loves us just as we are, because we are His own children.

Although we were the enemy of God by sin and rebellion against Him, everybody can again become the children of God by receiving Jesus Christ as the Savior and Lord. Jesus said He is the way to the Father.  I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6). Yes, we become the children of God again only by accepting Jesus as the Savior and Lord who died on the cross to save us. We do not need to perform religious duties and rituals to make God happy. When people deeply experience the breadth and depth of God's love that was most explicitly demonstrated through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross for all human beings, they naturally stay away from immorality. This is the most powerful way to stay away from sin. I am one of many living examples. I am as moral as anybody in the forum, not because I am threatened by hell fire, but because I am deeply moved and touched by the unconditional love of God through Jesus Christ. “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).

We are greatly thankful to God that the broken relationship with God was restored by the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ on our behalf. We are joyful because we are confident of our eternity in heaven and the heavy burden of life was lifted from our shoulders. We are also holy because the deep experience of God’s love through Jesus causes us to gladly stay away from sin. Yes, both JOY and HOLINESS describe well our spiritual journey with our Creator. God wants to have a loving relationship with “YOU”. You only need to open your heart to Jesus Christ and that is all! I hope you will fall in love with God so intimately and deeply that you would feel like you were the only person in the entire universe with God. “God is love.” (1 John 4:16).

You deserve much better than who you are now. You were born for much better than who you are now. You were created to be loved by God, not to perform religious duties and rituals.

Hi searching

I wish your heart overflows with joy, thanks and freedom in a loving relationship with Jesus Christ just like me, a JOYOUS and HOLY life in the love of God. “God is love.” (1 John 4:16).

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 1:04am
You know, the more I read the posts about Christianity, the less I believe it.  I don't see why we would have to have a relationship with God THROUGH Jesus (PBUH).  It makes no sense that a powerful God would kill his own son in order to forgive us when he could just forgive us. 

In Islam, Adam and Eve asked for forgiveness and God forgave them.  He didn't need to kill his supposed son to do it.  And why would an all knowing, all powerful God need a human son, anyway?  It's weird to me that God would actually impregnate a woman.  It makes more sense that He would just create a baby by making it so.  Islam really makes MUCH more sense to me than Christianity.

Thank you all for your replies.  They have been helpful to me.
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 9:29am

Hi searching

Thanks for your comment. Indeed it is an important question.

Have you ever read Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy)? If not, please read it yourself instead of being told by your religious leaders. You are an intelligent enough adult. Then you would be familiar with animal sacrifice that was absolutely required before starting a fellowship between God and the people of Israel. Do you know its meaning? The animal sacrifice devised by God reveals the characters of God, both his justice (The consequence of our sins must be paid) and his love (The consequence of our sins is paid on pure animals instead of us to spare us from the punishment). God is so holy that even the smallest blemish of impurity would evaporate before Him. Therefore, if man is to come to God, his sins must have been justly punished. “Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished” (Exodus 34:7). “For the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). In order to allow man to come to God, He permitted man to "cover" his sins by sacrificing pure lambs (without defect) in their place, although it was only temporary. By laying hands on the animals, the sins of man were symbolically transferred to the animals that must be pure and without defect according to God’s specific instruction. Then the animals were slaughtered and burned completely as the punishment of our sins on our behalf, which allowed man to come to God.

The book of Hebrews tells us this was a prophetic shadow of things to come, where God would sacrifice the Lamb of God, sinless Jesus Christ, to cleanse away the sin of man, that whosoever would take His sacrifice for their own, would be able to stand in the presence of God. So, God's justice and His love are both fulfilled in the sacrifice. Instead of pouring his wrath and curse of judgment on his children because of our sins, God chose to pour them on Jesus to spare us from the punishment. “He bore the sin of many” (Isaiah 53:12). “He was crushed for our iniquities” (Isaiah 53:5)”. The consequence of sin is death so Christ died on the cross to pay the full price on our behalf. The Bible says the blood of Christ cleanses us of all unrighteousness. And therefore we have confidence before God without fear of punishment, because the consequence of our sins was fully paid by Jesus Christ and there is no more punishment left for us! “God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:16-18)

The animal sacrifice, which was an absolute requirement before God in the Old Testament, was not an accident but had a very important prophetic implication for our salvation. The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)  “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” (Matthew 26:28)  
Grotham  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Judaism(Liberal)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Grotham Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 10:13am

You know, the more I read the posts about Christianity, the less I believe it.  I don't see why we would have to have a relationship with God THROUGH Jesus (PBUH).  It makes no sense that a powerful God would kill his own son in order to forgive us when he could just forgive us. 

In Islam, Adam and Eve asked for forgiveness and God forgave them.  He didn't need to kill his supposed son to do it.  And why would an all knowing, all powerful God need a human son, anyway?  It's weird to me that God would actually impregnate a woman.  It makes more sense that He would just create a baby by making it so.  Islam really makes MUCH more sense to me than Christianity.

Thank you all for your replies.  They have been helpful to me.

Pardon me for saying this but your reasoning seems to be anti-Christian based rather than pro-Islam.  I'd take more time coming to a final decision if a choice of religion was my dilemma. From a psychological POV, I've found that people who make  comparative decisions such as this are almost never satisfied.
Francophile  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Francophile Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 12:08pm
I wish someone on this forum would explain to searching what happens if she does accept Islam and at some point down the road changes her mind.

There are various views of apostasy, as I'm aware, but I hope searching will become aware too.
Grotham  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Grotham Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Francophile

I wish someone on this forum would explain to searching what happens if she does accept Islam and at some point down the road changes her mind.

There are various views of apostasy, as I'm aware, but I hope searching will become aware too.

Oh my, do you really think that sort of pre-historic thinking prevails today amongst more intelligent people and civilized society?  
Francophile  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Francophile Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 3:17pm
No, but I think it prevails in the hearts of some Muslims.
Grotham  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Grotham Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Francophile

No, but I think it prevails in the hearts of some Muslims.

Sounds like an inside job to me .. the gutting and cleaning out, I mean. 
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 4:17pm
What is going to happen to searching if she leaves Islam? She's going to make us all sad. And all other consequences are by Allah only.

Serching, I have seen other sisters who said that they want to be absolutely sure about Islam before saying the shahada because they are afraid to go back to kufr. Well, being sure is very important, but don't let the devil whisper too much into your heart or you'll never take a decision.
If you accept Islam and then leave it again (God forbid), then you will be a non-Muslim. If you don't say the shahada, you will be a non-Muslim anyway. So, where's the difference?

Allah says:

O ye who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam (submission to God). 3:102

What counts is in which religion you die. You could die tomorrow or in 100 years, only God knows it. If somebody dies as a non-Muslim (who has heard of Islam and knows the message but doesn't accept it) or dies as an apostate of Islam, this makes no difference indeed. And read the next, beautiful verse:

And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make His Signs clear to you: That ye may be guided.

Edited by Nura - 24 July 2010 at 4:19pm
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Amjad  
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Amjad Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 5:16pm
Sister Searching,

I joined this forum today after Fajr prayer. I read ALL your posts. You can't imagine how happy I am by your sincere struggle to find "the right spiritual path for yourself". You made me feel how great Islam is.

Just by reading your posts, I believe that you are a real GOOD Muslim already. You believe in all the basic foundations of Islam and moreover you have really learnt many many things about Islam, even things that some born-Muslims don't know.

I have a question for you:

There is a woman who wants to make a decision regarding marrying a man. She loves him so much and has a strong belief that amongst all other men, he is the one that best fits her. She believes that marrying him will make her so happy and will make her life much better. BUT, she is afraid that after marrying him for a while, this love might probably go or become less. There is no obvious or reasonable reason for this feeling.

What will be your advice to this woman?

Do you advise her to marry him and enjoy a better life, and leave her fears of future to future?

Or you advise her not to marry him and continue on her regular life that lacks happiness and full of questioning and looking for a better life and true love?

P.S. Sorry about my poor English. I am not a native English speaker.

Edited by Amjad - 24 July 2010 at 5:17pm
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 9:30pm
Brother Amjad,

I can't believe you read all of my posts. That was very nice of you. And by the way, your English is very good. I didn't even notice your accent.

Your question about marrying a certain man really was a good example. It made a lot of sense. Thank you for your compliments about how much I've learned about Islam. I'm trying really hard to learn. One cannot make an informed decision if one is not informed.

I will let everyone know when I make a decision. For now I will just keep learning and keep praying for guidance.

Thank you all for your support and advice.
freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 11:21pm

Hi searching

Here is one of my posts in another thread. It is a result of my actual conversations with several Muslim friends. I hope it would be helpful for you to make a decision.

I have had several Muslim friends from Iran, India and Morocco. After a number of conversations with them, I have found their common spiritual journey. I shared this story with other Muslims without any objection. If I am wrong, please correct me. Their spiritual journey is as if they were crossing a huge canyon through a narrow bridge made of ropes. They are afraid that they might fall off the shaky bridge to the bottom of the canyon by disobeying one of the religious duties they were supposed to follow at all times. They are not sure if they would meet their Creator face to face in heaven by successfully crossing the seemingly endless bridge. They appear weary and burdened with keeping all the religious duties and requirements at every moment. They are guilty of breaking one of them and afraid of Allah’s punishment for their failure. They are uncertain about their eternity in heaven in spite of their hard efforts.

Here was my short answer to them that I also want to share with you. Are you sure or uncertain that God loves us? I believe you are 100% sure He loves us. Are you sure or uncertain that God wants to bring all of us to heaven by crossing the canyon successfully? I believe you are also 100 % sure He wants to bring all of us to His place, heaven. Then, why does God not provide us the sure way to eternal life, because He created us as the focus of His love? Then, why does God make the way to heaven so difficult for His own children that even one of you is not sure of spending eternity with their own Creator? God wants to meet us much more than we want to meet Him, just as parents want to meet their children much more than children want to meet their parents.

The wonderful news is that the eternal life is a gift from God. “The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23). This wonderful gift of eternal life is obtained by faith, not by hard works. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9). In fact the most precious things in life such as air that we breathe, Sun light that we receive, and our very life are all gifts from God or parents, for which we do not even pay a penny. We receive this wonderful gift of eternal life by accepting Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Lord, and thus becoming the children of God. This is the key word. Yes, becoming the children of God again! You only need to open your heart to Jesus and that is all! You do not need to perform religious duties and rituals to make God happy.
Amjad  
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Amjad Replybullet Posted: 25 July 2010 at 4:09am

Brother Amjad,

I can't believe you read all of my posts. That was very nice of you. And by the way, your English is very good. I didn't even notice your accent.

Your question about marrying a certain man really was a good example. It made a lot of sense. Thank you for your compliments about how much I've learned about Islam. I'm trying really hard to learn. One cannot make an informed decision if one is not informed.

I will let everyone know when I make a decision. For now I will just keep learning and keep praying for guidance.

Thank you all for your support and advice.

Salam sister "Searching"

I did, I read them all. I first read this post then tracked down all the other posts through your profile. I was very curious to know your story from the beginning.

Yes, keep learning. Don't hesitate to ask any question or share any feelings or concerns. Take as much time to think as you need before making your decision. Ask Allah for help and guidance.

My wife and me are praying for you. We wish the best for you and for your lovely son and all of your family.
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version