Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Why subscribe to any religion? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Topic: Why subscribe to any religion?
    Posted: 30 August 2010 at 12:43am
So I have been thinking and thinking about the right spiritual path for myself, as many of you know.  And it occurred to me that I may really not need any religion.  Why is it that humans want to attach themselves to some sort of organized religion, whether it be Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc?  Do we really NEED to be a part of a religion?  Why can't we just believe in God (one God in my case) and pray to him and thank him but not subscribe to any religion?  And it seems like the major religions all believe that if you don't subscribe to their beliefs, you will go to hell.  The Christians think that you have to accept Jesus as your savior, Muslims think that you have to subscribe to their beliefs, etc.  I don't believe that all Christians will go to hell because they think Jesus is the son of God, which is shirk in Islam. I also don't think that Muslims will go to hell for not accepting Jesus as their savior. 

I think that God is much more loving and forgiving than many might think and I doubt that He would send a good person to hell for subscribing to the wrong religion.  That's just my present thinking.  And for now, that's what I'm doing.  I'm not joining any religion but I will pray and treat people kindly and be generous as much as possible and I guess I'll just have to hope that I'm right in this. 

Edited by searching - 30 August 2010 at 12:44am
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 1:30am
Originally posted by searching

Why is it that humans want to attach themselves to some sort of organized religion, whether it be Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc?  Do we really NEED to be a part of a religion?  Why can't we just believe in God (one God in my case) and pray to him and thank him but not subscribe to any religion?

Good question sister

And the short answer to your question is that human beings need Divine Guidance.

If someone believes that a Creator exists, that is an excellent first step, but the logical question which follows is what is the purpose of life?

Why did He create us?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 1:40am
I don't know why He created us.  Maybe only He knows this.  But for some reason, I doubt it was because He wanted someone to worship Him.  I know that in Islam, people are supposed to be created to worship God.  But I don't think that a being so powerful and loving and amazing would actually need to create humans just to worship Him.  He doesn't need anyone's worship.  To me, it seems like he would be FAR beyond needing to be worshiped and bowed to, etc.  Human kings think they need that, God doesn't need that.  It is only right to thank Him for what He provides, as we thank anyone, but Him even more.  But existing just to worship Him.  I don't think so.  Why would He need that?  
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 1:53am
You're right: God does not need us to worship Him

To worship God is the literal translation of the verb in the Qur'an (ya'boudoun)

There is however a second meaning which is to love God, like when someone say I "adore" this person meaning to strongly love

But how would we love God if we don't really know Him?

That's why Divine Guidance is important as He informs us of Himslef, His attributes, what He likes us to do in order to live a happy life here and in the hereafter ...

Can you find out the right answers through human logic alone?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

stranger  
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote stranger Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 2:59am
Salam sister searching,

how are you? I hope all is well with you.

here are some videos which may be of some help.

1. purpose of life, why worship Allah

2. subscribing to islam

3. Do good people go to hell?

(there are about 7 parts to this lecture, just find the other parts on the same page)

I hope they are of some help insha'allah

wasalam
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “He who does not show mercy to people, Allah also does not show mercy to him.” [Bukhari]
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 4:28am
Well, you can forget "religion" if you want, and think of life this way.

God created us, and we are His servants. We can choose to willfully submit to Him in servitutde, and we can choose to worship Him, like He has told us to.

Or not...
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 6:08am

Why would He need servants?  He is all powerful and all knowing so why would He want or need weak, human servants?

Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:10am
Lol!

Servants. Hmm... lack of a better word maybe?

In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
mai moslemah  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mai moslemah Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:44am
Who say what is Good an what is evil ?
But don`t you see?that i am truely free? this piece of scarf on me;i wear so proudly to preserve my dignity,modesty & integrity....why can`t i just be me??? "i am the one who is free!!!!

Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:58am

Why would He need servants?  He is all powerful and all knowing so why would He want or need weak, human servants?

More to the point: we are not all powerful, nor all-knowing. We are the weak ones, and we need Him, our Lord, Master, Sustainer.

And you know what? He takes care of us, whether we worship Him or not. He gives us time to wander around on the earth believing in Him and obeying Him or cursing Him--postponing His Mercy and His Wrath.

But if we ignore Him, how can we expect that He won't ignore us when We really need His Mercy?
Francophile  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Francophile Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:13am
Searching, I think the points you are making are sensible.

For one thing, in most cases, submitting to god through a religion really means submitting to a group of people who claim to know what god thinks.

Does a god actually need such intermediaries?

When I watch ministers and imams giving speeches on tv, I am almost always struck by how pleased with themselves they seem to be as they 'educate' their followers.

Now if someone wants to say that being part of a community is desirable, I won't argue. It gives people a feeling of security and belonging.

But that is not the same thing as bringing them closer to god.

My opinion.
mai moslemah  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mai moslemah Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:50am
there is a lot of questions which need answers

Why I am here ?

what God expect from me?

why bad and good events are happening to me ?

where I am going after i die ?

what is the purpose of this life ?

there is many answers but nothing give satisfactory answer like Islam
But don`t you see?that i am truely free? this piece of scarf on me;i wear so proudly to preserve my dignity,modesty & integrity....why can`t i just be me??? "i am the one who is free!!!!

freedom-lover
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote freedom-lover Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 2:03pm

Hi searching

You have asked very honest questions. We can understand the love of God for us through the love of parents for children, because the latter is a shadow of the former. Parents do not bear their children to submit to them as servants, but to give their love to them. Although some people still do not understand the love of God for us through Jesus, God’s unconditional love for us, not our submission to God, is the driving force of our faith.

We agree the most precious virtue of humanity is love. Do you know the strongest love of all? It is the love between mother and her children. Have you not heard that a mother jumped into the water to save her drowning children by sacrificing her own life or jumped into the incoming car to save her children from collision by sacrificing her own life? Perhaps it is one of the most touching stories in the world. Do you know why human mother's love is the strongest among all loves and incomparable to all the others? This is because she delivered her children by shedding her own blood with great pain. This is a reflection or shadow of God's love for His creatures (human beings) through Jesus Christ who died on the cross by shedding His own blood with great pain to pay the penalty of our sins on our behalf. God’s love for us is unconditional in character. “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). Regardless of whether we will receive or reject His love of forgiveness, He first gave us Himself as a sacrifice for our sins. This unconditional love motivates our deepest love and submission for God.

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by mai moslemah

why bad and good events are happening to me ?

I still don't understand this one.  I have heard conflicting reasons.  Some say that God is the one responsible for the good events and the bad ones are just things that happen either because of humans or because of basically bad luck.

Muslims believe that God causes everything, to test us.  But why would He let a cruel, ruthless leader like Hitler live so long and cause so much suffering?  Why would he let other dictators and tyrants live long healthy lives and then go and make a kind, generous person blind, or cause in innocent child to suffer and die of cancer?  I just don't see why He would do these things.  So this is what led to my faith basically disappearing for a while.  I thought, if God is all powerful and kind, why would he choose to have innocent ones suffer and evil ones live on when he could strike a tyrant with blindness or other disability?  And why not ease the suffering of the good people?  I just don't understand this still, though I am trying.
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version