Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Names of Allah Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 14
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2018 at 12:23pm
Reflecting on the Names of God by Shaykh Mokhtar Maghraoui

We want to “know” God, but as finite beings we are veiled from His Sublime Essence by His Attributes, which are in themselves beyond the capacity of human understanding.

We do however everyday witness and experience His Actions in the created world. How can we open our eyes to this reality to make us closer to Him?

Beyond describing some of His Attributes on an intellectual level, can we as servants of God ever taste their meanings with our heart?

(51 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:23am
How Should God’s Names Affect Our Lives?

Just memorizing a bunch of words is no use if they don’t really have any impact in our lives.

So let us look at some of Allah’s beautiful names and how they influence us if we really grasp their meaning.

1.     Ar Rafeeq – The Gentle

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to his beloved wife Aisha:

Allah is gentle and He loves gentleness. He rewards for gentleness what is not granted for harshness and He does not reward anything else like it. (Muslim)

Oftentimes we become so zealous with regards to our Islam that we become downright harsh with others whom we deem as going astray. That is not at all the way of the Prophet. He was always gentle in calling others to the truth. He was gentle even with a Bedouin who urinated in his masjid.

Remembering Ar Rafeeq will have the effect of making us gentle and kind to others all the time, hoping that Allah will deal with us gently and not harshly despite our sins...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/how-should-gods-names-affect-our-lives/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2019 at 1:55am
Allah is Al-Barr – The Benevolent One

This name Al-Barr “The Benevolent” is closely related to the Arabic word for piety, birr (with an i). It refers to every form of charity, generosity, and kindness that we as people can carry out.

The name al-Barr (with an a instead of i), however, is a name of Allah. It conveys the meaning that everything in existence benefits from Allah’s generosity and goodness.

Indeed, Allah is both Merciful and Generous, rewarding the least of our good deeds with a tenfold reward. He never punishes a misdeed with anything more than its merit, and He often simply pardons it. Allah is the Giver of Good.

Since Allah is the Benevolent, and benevolence is one of His attributes, it follows that He loves us to be benevolent to one another...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/understanding-islam/allah-al-barr-benevolent-one/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2019 at 5:36am
Explanation of the Name "Allah"

Explained by Dr. Yasir Qadhi in Memphis:

In this video, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi goes over the most common and primary name of our Creator, "Allah."

This name is mentioned approximately 3500 times in the Qur'an. The name Allah comes from "Alaha," which means to turn to for protection and help, which every single creation in heavens and earth do.

Others say the name comes from "to elevate." Another meaning is "the one that astonishes and confounds the mind, one which the minds cannot comprehend."

The strongest opinion, however, is that the name comes from "Aliha-Ya'lahu," meaning "to worship." So Allah means the one who "is worshiped" and "deserves to be worshiped".

Characteristics of the name Allah:

- This name encompasses all the other names of Allah, because the one who "is" and "deserves" to be worshiped must have all the other qualities (ie, other names of Allah).

- Some scholars have said this name, Allah, is referred to by the Prophet (pbuh) as the "Ismullah al-a'dham," meaning the Grand name of Allah, which when used in a Du'a is always responded to.

- All four primary adhkar (SubhanAllah, Alhamdulillah, LailahaIllallah, & AllahuAkbar) also revolve around this name.

- The name is very easy to pronounce by the tongue

- It has a special "tafkheem" (heaviness) in pronunciation

- Over 33 verses begin with the name Allah.

(14 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2019 at 4:38am
Beautiful Names of Allah (pt.3) - Unique characteristics

(14 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2019 at 4:33am
Beautiful Names of Allah (pt.4)- Ar-Rahman

In this video, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi begins covering the names derived from Rahima (Ar-Rahman, Ar-Raheem, Khayrar-Rahimeen, Arhamur-Rahimeen, Dhur-Rahma).

Hadith: Your Lord decreed upon Himself before creating the heavens and earth by 50,000 years a book full of rules stating "My Rahma (mercy) shall always overcome my Anger".

Ar-Rahman - no other name like it, other than "Allah" itself. These names have an unique status. Both are the primary names of Allah. They are both linked, and are the only two names which any Surahs start with in the Qur'an.

"Call upon Allah, or call upon Ar-Rahman. Whichever of these two you choose, all of the other names belong to him"

Hadith: The most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah and Abd-ArRahman. Ar-Rahman is mentioned 57 times in the Qur'an. 50 times alone, and 7 times as a combo.

When Allah mentions the largest creation, His Thrown (Arsh), he uses Ar-Rahman. ie, "Ar-Rahman rose over the throne " is mentioned 7 times. The primary difference between Ar-Rahman and Ar-Raheem is that Ar-Rahman (mercy) is for all of His creation, while Ar-Raheem (mercy) is only for the Muslims.

Hadith: When Allah created the creation, He divided his mercy into 100 parts. 1 has been revealed to this world and because of it people are merciful to each other. He has saved 99 parts of his mercy and it will be used on the day of Judgment.

Hadith: If the disbeliever only knew how much mercy Allah has, even he would be optimistic of entering Jannah It is an insult and is of the biggest of all sins to give up on the hope of Allah's mercy. Allah says in the Quran: "Never give up hope of Allah's mercy"

(17 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2019 at 6:43am
Ar-Raheem | Benefits & how to obtain it

In this video, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi continues to cover the names of Allah that relate to Rahima.

Allah uses the concept of Rahima in 500 verses. Ar-Rahman occurs 57 times, never paired with any other name except 6 verses using Ar-Raheem (Al Fatiha being the first example).

Some interpretations on the differences between Ar-Rahman and Ar-Raheem are:

- Ar-Rahman (mercy) is for all of His creation, while Ar-Raheem (mercy) is only for the Muslims.

- Ar-Rahman's mercy is comprehensive, while Ar-Raheem mercy reaches only those He wants to reach.

- Ar-Rahman is in this world, while Ar-Raheem is in the hereafter.

- Ar-Rahman describes the nature of Allah, Ar-Raheem describes His actions.

Ar-Raheem occurs 114 times in the Qur'an. Two most common combinations are Al-Ghafur Ar-Raheem and Al-Azeez Ar-Raheem. Al-Azeez Ar-Raheem, the one who has power and mercy, where 3rd meaning is that His Rahma isn't coming from weakness.

Typically people of power don't have mercy, and opposite is true. Allah's power does not corrupt his mercy. Al-Ghafur Ar-Raheem, the one who forgives because He has mercy.

What should be the effect of the 5 names derived from Rahima on our hearts?

1) Increase in our hearts the love of Allah. The heart loves the one who is kind and merciful to it. Allah has given us everything we find comfort in, so we should love Him infinitely. Hadith: "Indeed, I swear, Allah has more Rahma for his creation and believers than this lady has for her child" (regarding lady who had lost her child)

2) Our hope in Allah's mercy should be infinite. We need to have good thoughts of Allah. Hadith: Allah says "I shall deal with my servants the way they assume I will deal with them" Hadith: A rich man would lend money and often forgive the debtor. Allah said to this man at his death "I have more right to show mercy to you than you had right to show mercy to those people" and this man was forgiven. Hadith: Immoral woman (prostitute) had mercy for a thirsty dog, and Allah forgave her.

3) To be shy of Allah's mercy. How can we be disobedient to someone who gives us so much? Quran: If you were to try to count the blessings of Allah, you would not be able to finish the list.

4) We should be merciful to others. Hadith: A man said "Ya rasul, I have a hard heart." The Prophet (pbuh) said "go and stroke the head of an orphan" Hadith: A Bedouin had never even kissed his 10 sons once. The Prophet (pbuh) said "what can I do if Allah has removed Rahma from your heart?"

5) To use them in Du'a. "Ya Rahman, ya Raheem" etc.

Some names are for specific issues, others are general across all issues. Especially when in trouble and physically and emotionally sick, these names should be invoked.

Prophet Ayyub used these names when he raised his hands and said "Verily distress has seized me, and you are Arhamur Rahimeen" and Allah took away all his troubles and gave him even more good. So we may make this du'a "Rabbi inni massanir dhur, wa anta arhamur rahimeen"

How do we attain the Rahma of Allah?

1) Give rahma to others and Allah will give rahma to you. "ArRahimoon, yarhamuhoom arRahman, irhamu man fil ard, yarhamukum man fil samaa" The ones who show mercy, Ar Rahman will have mercy on them. Have mercy on the people in the world, and the one in the heavens will have mercy on you. We should be merciful to dogs, every type of creation, the plants, etc. When we sell and interact, we should be gentle.

2) Coming to the masjid, praying and listening to Islamic knowledge. Hadith: When people come to masjid, recite quran and listen to gathering of knowledge, rahma and sakina descends upon them.

3) Obey Allah and His messenger. Quran: "My punnishment shall only reach the people I choose, My Rahma encompasses everything"

Presentation details: June 10, 2016 @ Memphis Islamic Center

(20 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2019 at 5:28am
Al-Ghafur, Al-Ghaafir & Al-Ghaffar

In this video, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi discusses the names of Allah related to Maghfirah (the concept/verb).

Ghafara means to cover or conceal something, or to overlook what someone has done to you (Mighfar meant a helmet).

Over 300 verses mention Maghfira.

Quran: Know that Allah is strict in punishment, but know Allah is also Ghafur Ar-Raheem.

Quran: Inform my servants, that I am the Al-Ghafur and Ar-Raheem.

There are at least 7 names derived from Maghfirah:

1) Al-Ghafur - 91 times mentioned in Qur'an

2) Al-Ghaafir (Al Ghafir Al-Dhanb)

3) Al-Ghaffar

4) Wasi'yal Maghfirah (The one whose forgivness is vast)

5) Ahlal Maghfirah - The one who has the right to forgive and is characterized with maghfirah

6) Dhul Maghfirah (dhu - owner of, nobody owns it the same way) The owner of maghfirah. He is the one who controls and perfected maghfirah

7) Khayrul Ghaafireen - The best of those who forgive

What is the difference between Ghaafir, Ghafur and Ghaffar?

Ghaafir - simple noun, the one who does forgiveness - the one who forgives. Al-Ghafur - emphasizes the power of the verb. Ghaafir means to forgive, Ghafur is the one who has the power to forgive no matter how large the sin. Ghafur is quality. No matter how large, Ghafur can and has power to cover it up. Al-Ghaffar - for quantity and frequency, he continuously does maghfirah.

Hadith: A man who would commit sin then ask for forgiveness "faghfirli" and Allah forgives him but after a while, commits sin and asks again for forgiveness again. After several times, Allah calls the angels and says "this servant of mine who is perpetual sinner, I am calling u to testify that I have forgiven him. This was because he has recognized that he has sinned against a Lord and he must continue to ask for forgiveness. The true servant never gives up hope. Nor does he lose hope in Allah's forgiveness.

Al-Ghafur Ar-Raheem - one of the most common pairs/combinations. Allah says: "Inform my servants that I am Al-Ghafur and Ar-Raheem.

Al-Azeez Ar-Ghafur: Azeez is the one with power. Typically one forgives out of weakness but despite being Almighty, He chooses to forigve from position of power and majesty, not weakness.

Al-Ghafur Al-Waduud: The one full of generous love Allah: What will I gain from punishing you, if you believe in me and worship me?

Al-Ghafur Al-Shakur: He forgives our sins and then increases the reward. Shakur occurs in Quran with people of Jannah, who say "We thank Allah He has allowed us to come to Jannah, no harm will touch us, verily Allah is Ghafurun Shakur. They say this because in order to get there Allah must forgive their continuous sins. The hadeeth says: None of you will enter due to his good deeds (alone).

Shakur : the one who rewards more than you deserve. Allah never gives 1 for 1, rather minimum is 10 for 1, sometimes 700 or more.

How to get Allah's Maghfirah?

1) By asking for Maghfirah. We must ask for it continuously. Allah says "..and I will continuously forgive the one who continually asks for forgiveness.." Abu Bakr asked the Prophet (pbuh) to teach him a dua. The Prophet (pbuh) taught him to say "Oh Allah, I have wronged myself many many wrongs and no one forgives my sins other than you, so forgive me a forgiveness coming from u, for u are the Ghafur Ar-raheem. Hadeeth: I ask for Allah's forgiveness more than 100 times a day. If the Prophet (pbuh) does this, where do we stand? Anas ibn Malik: smtimes I'd count the mouth of the Prophet (pbuh) say Astagfirullah 70 times in a sitting.

2) We learn to forgive others, who have done us wrong. By forgiving others, Allah will forgive us. Seerah: Slander of Ayesha, where the 2nd cousin of Ayesha said the slander. Abu Bakr was giving him money but swore by Allah to never give a penny again. But Allah revealed: Let not the people of stature (fadl) swear to Allah that they will not help out their poor relatives. Don't you want Allah to forgive u? Most optimistic verse in the whole Qur'an in Surat Al-Zumr: Say servants who wrong themselves, don't give up hope in Allah's forgiveness, verily Allah forgives all sins, verily He is the Ghafur Ar-Raheem.

Recorded: June 11, 2016 - Memphis Islamic Center

(18 minutes)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:04pm
Al-Shakur-Sister Jinan Y

Ramadan is the perfect time to get reacquainted with Allah. Many of us are excited for this time and try to make the most of it.

For others of us, Ramadan is accompanied by guilt. Guilt that we are not doing enough compared with our 'old' selves, the us from a few years ago who was so energized with the coming of Ramadan.

Or guilt because we are not doing as much as other people.

Or guilt that we do not have time to be excited about Ramadan.

Or guilt that we are just not excited.

This guilt comes because we have made our yardstick something outside of us. The yardstick is what we think we should be doing or feeling, or what others are doing and feeling, or what we used to do and feel.

But perhaps Ramadan should be a time to get rid of that yardstick and, instead, focus on Allah. It is the perfect time to reconnect to Allah through His majestic attributes, particularly His Name al-Shakur.

Linguistically, 'shukr' means the giving back of much for being given a little. Fertile soil was termed "ardh shakur" because for being given a little, it would give back in abundance. So what does it mean that Allah has given Himself this Name, al-Shakur?

The other day, my mother asked me to get her a spoon from the kitchen. So, I got her the spoon. Normally, this is the end of the transaction; she is my mother after all and this action is super super tiny.

But imagine if, in response to me getting her that spoon, she tells me, "I'm taking you on a shopping spree because of what you did!"

What I 'did' was something so small, so insignificant, something I should be doing anyway, yet in this imaginary tale, it was met with the ultimate shukr and appreciation.

Allah is far above any analogy, but that is what His Name al-Shakur means. For the tiniest thing that you do, He gives you so much in return for it.

Allah al-Shakur is rewarding you not for every page of the Qur'an that you recite, but for every letter. Al-Shakur is appreciating you not for the result of any one thing you do, but the effort, whether you achieve the result or not. Al-Shakur is loving you for the two rak'as voluntary prayers that you manage to pray, and not focusing on the six that you did not.

Al-Shakur is the One who gives Paradise to the prostitute for giving a dog water and to the person who removes some harm from the way of people. He is the One that protects you from the Hellfire by giving not one date in charity, but even part of a date. Al-Shakur is the heaviness of your scale of good deeds for every time you were grateful and uttered words of thanks to Him.

Al-Shakur is appreciation, love, and reward, for every good action you do , no matter how small.

This is the wisdom of the Prophet's (pbuh) hadith that we should not belittle any good deed, not even smiling in the face of people. The issue is that we belittle our good deeds, and not God. On the contrary, He encourages us to do good deeds no matter their size and they are all special to Him. But we forego certain actions because they seem to be too small, or expend energy in guilt rather than appreciation and love for al-Shakur.

This Ramadan, instead of focusing on what you are not doing or what you cannot do, rejoice in what you are doing and can do. Maybe you cannot read a juz a day because of other responsibilities, so rejoice in the fact that that one page a day that you are reading is loved by Allah and rewarded by Him. Take comfort in knowing that by taking care of your kids - these gifts from Allah - He is pouring down blessings on you. Be relieved that your kindness to your family is raising your station with Him.

Remember that His Names are specifically chosen by Him, and there is a reason why the essence of this Name is giving so much to the person gives a little.

So give whatever you can. If you can do a 'little' then do a little. if you can do even more, then do even more. He appreciates and rewards all.

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:04pm

Al-Latif ( the subtle & kind)-Nouman Ali Khan

(25 mins)
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:55am
Reflecting on the Names of God

We want to “know” God, but as finite beings we are veiled from His Sublime Essence by His Attributes, which are in themselves beyond the capacity of human understanding.

We do however everyday witness and experience His Actions in the created world. How can we open our eyes to this reality to make us closer to Him?

Beyond describing some of His Attributes on an intellectual level, can we as servants of God ever taste their meanings with our heart?

Sheikh Mokhtar answers these questions and other issues in this talk:

(51 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 5:51am
In Awe of Allah: Al-Azeem "The Supremely Great"

This Name "Al-Azeem" is oft-repeated on the tongues in prayer, yet many have not known the honor of knowing Him and the attributes of His greatness.

We explore some meanings of God's Greatness and their impact on our lives and practice.

(12 minutes)

<< Prev Page  of 14
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version