Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Names of Allah Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 13 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Names of Allah
    Posted: 18 October 2010 at 5:22pm
Al-Malik (The King) is one of Allah’s ninety-nine Beautiful Divine Names and Attributes. Whosoever knows each one of them will be admitted into Paradise.

Allah, Most Gracious, says, “He is Allah, besides Whom there is no god, the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory be to Allah! High is He above all that which they associate as partners with Him.” [XLI; 23]

He, Most Merciful, also says, “The Only Owner (and the King) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).”

Allah is The King

Al-Malik

The Real King is He, Who is Self-Sufficient in Himself and Attributes and needs nothing but all things in existence need Him for everything. In other words, He is the King by Himself, His Existence, and His Attributes.

He is in need of nothing, but all things do need Him. Such is the accurate definition of  “The King”, and none but Allah, All-Mighty, All-High, deserves it.

In other words, the Real King is Allah; and whosoever describes himself as king, or owner of a certain house, shop, business or company is only metaphorically as such. Therefore, we should know the reality of ourselves; and Allah will have mercy on those who know their reality and abide thereby...

True belief in Allah’s being the King necessitates that the salve should be more confident in what is in the Hands of Allah than that which is in his own hands. In other words, if you want to be the richest of all mankind, be more confident in what is in Allah’s Hands than what is in your own hands. If you want to be the strongest of all mankind, put all of your trust in Allah. And if you want to be the most noble of all mankind, be dutiful and obedient to Allah.

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-01.php

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 5:10pm

God is The All-Giver

Al-Wahhab

The purpose of knowing Allah’s Name “Al-Wahhab” (the All-Giver) is to love Allah, Most Gracious, for love is the essence of faith. In fact, Islamic religion is not only facts to understand and learn but also feelings and emotions to live. A Muslim’s mind should believe not only in Allah’s existence, Might and Majesty but also in His Beautiful Divine Names and Attributes. At the same time, a Muslim’s heart should abound in love for Allah, Most Gracious.

We are overwhelmed with Allah’s Innumerable Divine Favors. Notice what you do when someone pays for you the fare of a public means of transport. You thank him/her heartily and profoundly; and you may even invite them to your own home, just because they have paid for you the fare.

Just notice yourself!  If someone gives you a gift, you become very thankful and hurry to express your gratitude and love to him/her. You may invite him/her to your own home and even promise to pay him/her a visit. All of this is only because he/she has given you a gift! Such is man!

In a Divine Hadith, Allah, Most Gracious, says, “O David! Remind My slaves of My Favors that I bestow upon them, for humans are predisposed to love those who do Favors to them and to hate those who do disfavors to them.”

However, what is the difference between a believer and a disbeliever?

A disbeliever is someone who lives with his Lord’s Divine Favors but does not remember Him, while a true believer is someone who is always thankful to the Lord for His Divine Favors that He, Most Bounteous, confers upon him. Is it polite or grateful of you, when someone invites you to a great banquet with different kinds of delicious food and drink, to leave before you express your due thanks to the host?

When a fellow human gives you something valuable or does you a favor, you are very thankful to him/her! Then, why are you not thankful enough to the Lord, Allah, Most Gracious, when He confers His Innumerable Divine Favors upon you?

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-03.php

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Francophile  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Francophile Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 5:28pm
what about this proposed cartoon series, The 99?

If one characterizes 99 of the aspects of Allah, why isn't this assigning partners?

hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 6:16pm
:If one characterizes 99 of the aspects of Allah, why isn't this assigning partners?"

Because all the aspects belong to the one being. If I say that you have blue eyes, and you have blond eye, there's still only one of you, right?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
Francophile  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Francophile Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 6:37pm
And this difers from belief in the trinity how?
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 6:54pm
Perhaps you should ask a Christian. I don't know.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2010 at 10:49pm
Yesterday we learned about اسم مبالغة and how the name "Al-Wahhab" الوهّاب is an exaggerated form, which you can tell by the presence of the shaddah and alif, which empowers and also denotes repetition. Allah is the one who is continuously giving us gifts.

Francophile--think of how you might describe a person without two different traits. You can say about a person that he is a teacher, and he's a parent. He doesn't have two personalities, two persons, but these are two attributes. And he can be both at the same time. Allah is extremely forgiving, repeatedly, and at the same time constantly merciful. These attributes aren't persons or parts, but characteristics.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:38pm
Another thought on Al-Wahhab. Throughout the Qur'an, even from the very beginning, Allah tells us that He is the Master (Rabb رب) and we are essentially slaves. It's not like we're employees who earn a paycheck for our work based on a prior agreement. Instead, anything that He gives us isn't something we earned or deserve but nothing but a gift.

And the value of the gifts that He keeps on giving us? For how much money would you give up your sight? Your legs? Your memory?
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2010 at 2:54am
Good points sister

The next name is Al-Fattah

The Opener (of the gates of profit and sustenance)

Al-Fattah

“Al-Fattah”, is an emphatic Epithet of Allah, Glory to Him, which means that Allah, All Mighty, is the One Who opens all of the gates that no one but Him can open. The emphasis that this Name denotes can be both qualitative and quantitative, i.e. He opens all of the gates of profit and sustenance for His slaves no matter how difficult to open, or how numerable, such gates might be...

The simple meaning of this Divine Name of Allah is that He opens all gates: if He so wills, He opens to you the gate of provision and sustenance, He opens to you the gate of work, He opens to you the gate of marriage, He opens to you the gate of tranquility and peace of mind, He opens to you the gate of success, He opens to you the gate of righteous work, He opens to you the gate of the Call for Him and His Religion. He also opens the gates that no one else, but Him, can open. To this effect, Allah, Al-Fattah (the Opener), says, “Whatsoever mercy Allah opens to mankind, none can withhold; and whatsoever He withholds, none can loose after Him. And He is the All Mighty, the All-Wise.” [XXXV; 2]

If Allah so wills, He, Glory to Him, opens the door of His Mercy; but if He so wills, He withholds it. If He withholds His Divine Mercy, no one else can grant it after Him. If He withholds His Divine Mercy, no power in the whole world could ever award it. If He opens the gate of His Divine Mercy, no force or power in the whole world could ever withhold it. If all forces and powers in the whole universe unite together to open what Allah closes or to close what Allah opens, they will never be able to do so ...

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-05.php

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:37am

The Withholder, The Extender

Al-Qabid, Al-Bassit

A great many brothers who have turned to Allah, Most Gracious, in sincere repentance and reformed their relationship with Him always ask this question: Sometimes we feel happy, delighted, satisfied, and relaxed, as if we were in Paradise; and sometimes, we feel so wretched and miserable that we wish we were dead. What is the explanation of these two opposite conditions? That is why I will try to give a brief but sufficient answer to such question, which a great many believers ask.

Among Allah’s Beautiful Divine Names are “Al-Qabid” (the Withholder) and “Al-Bassit” (the Extender). The first thing I would like to say is that these two Names of Allah are inseparable, i.e. it is not permissible to mention either without the other. This is because if you say that Allah is “Al-Qabid” (the Withholder), it would mean that you describe Allah as being niggardly or miserly; and Allah, All Mighty, is far above such evil qualities. However, when you say that Allah is “Qabid, Bassit” (Withholder, Extender), you describe Him as being Powerful and Wise. This is because Allah, All Mighty, says, “And it is Allah that withholds or extends (your provisions for you), and unto Him you shall return.” [II; 245]

Therefore, if you desire to say that Allah, Most Gracious, withholds in order to extend, does harm in order to do good, decreases in order to increase, or abases in order to exalt in honor, you are on the right way.

Linguistically speaking, the first Name denotes decrease while the second denotes increase; and these two actions embrace all things in existence, i.e. if Allah decreases something, this means that He withholds it; and if He increases something, this means that He extends it.

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-07.php

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2010 at 4:12pm

The Irresistible Subduer

"Al-Qahhar”

1- Allah, All-Mighty, is Al-Qahhar (The Irresistible Subduer) in the sense that He, Alone, is the One Who subdues non-existence and turns it into existence, and then He subdues existence by His Irresistible Divine Power and Will.

2- Another meaning of Allah’s Beautiful Divine Name “Al-Qahhar” is that all the heavenly objects, some of which are many times bigger than both the earth and the sun, are held and kept in orbit by Allah’s Irresistible Divine Power.

3- One of the meanings of Allah’s Name “Al-Qahhar” is that He unites incongruent things together in perfect harmony. Water, air, fire, and soil are incongruent things, yet they are united in perfect harmony in creatures. This is the third meaning of Allah’s Name “Al-Qahhar”.

4- The fourth meaning of Allah’s Name “Al-Qahhar” (the Irresistible Subduer) is that sometimes He, All-Mighty, humiliates tyrants and oppressors by diseases and illnesses.

5- The fifth meaning of Allah’s Beautiful Name Al-Qahhar is that He subdues the human minds and prevents them from knowing the reality of His Holy Infinite Divine Self, which has neither a beginning nor an end. He, All-Mighty, prevents the human minds from encompassing the Glamour of His Divine Majesty.

6- The sixth meaning of Allah’s Name Al-Qahhar (the Irresistible Subduer) is that He kept the knowledge of the secrets of a great many natural phenomena only for Himself. Therefore, whenever a certain natural phenomenon takes place, one should say, “Glorified and Praised is Allah! I do not know the wisdom behind such incident.”

7- The seventh and all-embracing meaning of Allah’s Divine Name Al-Qahhar (the Irresistible Subduer) is that He, All-Mighty, has subdued all His creatures to His Irresistible Divine Will. To this effect, He, All-Mighty, says, “And they encompass none of His Knowledge except that which He wills.” [2; 255]

Allah, All-Mighty, is the Source of all kinds of power: if you turn to Him with love, obedience and devotion, He bestows on you far more happiness and peace than whatever happiness and peace human beings can ever give you.

If you turn to Allah, Most Gracious, with love, obedience and devotion, He grants you much more happiness and contentment than that which the wealthiest people can ever feel.

If you turn to Allah, Most Merciful, with love, obedience and devotion, you feel far more powerful than those who affiliate themselves with the most powerful of all mankind.

That is why it has been rightly said: “If you desire to be the most powerful of all mankind, put your trust in Allah; if you desire to be the richest of all mankind, be more confident in what is in Allah’s Hands than that which is in your own hands; and if you desire to be the noblest of all mankind, fear Allah and be dutiful to Him.”

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-02.php 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 October 2010 at 4:38pm

The Creator

"Al-Khalik"

The maker is the only one who can provide ways for using a certain machine or apparatus.

Who has the right to issue instructions for the proper use or operation of a certain apparatus or machine?

It is certainly the maker or producer of such apparatus or machine. If you follow the instructions of other parties than those of the maker, you will not be able to operate the machine properly, and you may even destroy it completely.

Very simply, the mind tells you: Only the Maker should be worshipped, i.e. none except the Maker should be worshipped, none but the Maker should be obeyed, none except the Maker should be followed: “O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allah), Who created you and those who were before you.”

Why?

The answer is: does not the One, Who has created, know? Yes, indeed, because He is the Omniscient, the All-Aware, the All-Wise, the One Who knows man’s human nature and needs, Who knows what makes him good or evil, what makes him happy or miserable, what makes him high or lowly, what makes him peaceful or frightened. Yes, indeed! He, Allah, is the All-Aware, the All-Knowing.

http://www.nabulsi.com/english-nab/ideology/names/names-09.php

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 November 2010 at 3:11pm

God’s Name As-Salam (The Source of Peace)

Different Meanings of God’s Divine Name “As-Salam”

1-    The first meaning of God’s name “As Salam” is that He is free from all kinds of imperfection, His attributes are free from all kinds of defects and His acts are free from any kind of evil. In line with that, any kind of purposeful evil that God inflicts on his creatures is meant for the near or far benefit of mankind.

Hence, His creation is perfect and faultless: {Verily, We have created all things in (perfect) measure.} (Al-Qamar 54: 49)

2-     God is “As-Salam” that He is the giver of safety to His slaves, i.e. there is no safety in the whole universe except that which is attributed to Him for He is the Creator, who designs and controls all things ...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/belief/allah/449704-contemplations-on-gods-name-as-salamthe-peace.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 November 2010 at 12:34pm

The Beautiful Names of Allah 1/4

Sh.Hamza Yusuf

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version