Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Step Parents in Islam Post Reply Post New Topic
SisADaud  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote SisADaud Replybullet Topic: Step Parents in Islam
    Posted: 03 December 2010 at 2:31am
Inshallah I am getting married in January. I will be becoming a step-mother to two beautiful daughters, Mashallah.  I want to know some information about the rights and obligations of step relationships. Also if any Arabic speaking people can tell me the Arabic phrase for step-mother that would be great.

Jazakallah Khair

Aisha
May we all go in peace!
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2010 at 4:23am
Assalamo Alaikom sister and congratulations for your marriage

The word in Arabic for step-mother is zawgat al-ab

Bringing up two step daughters with care and love, as if they were your own daughters, is an excellent good deed which is highly rewarded by God

In this case, do your best to consider them as your daughters, and if in the future you have your own child, do your best not to differentiate between them (it may not be easy where emotions are concerned, but at least treat them all on the same level)

If your two step-daughters are too young to know that you are not their real mother, you must tell them that when they grow up

Wishing you a happy marriage

May Allah make it a blessed marriage

Ameen

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 03 December 2010 at 4:26am
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

mwaraitch  
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mwaraitch Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2010 at 6:05pm
Its also obligatory for children to respect and obey you as companion of their father and as a mother.
Read Quran - Read in the Name of Allah
Online Quran Academy
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2010 at 12:03am
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  It sounds like you will be a great step mother since you are even asking about the rights and obligations of step mothers here on this site.  You must be a very nice person and a good Muslimah, masha'Allah.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:10am
Assalaamualekum

Congratulations and may Allah bless your marriage Sister Aisha:)
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
SisADaud  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote SisADaud Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:39pm
Jazakallah Khair everyone!
I have another question. So my fiance's oldest daughter asked him if he can call me Mom. I told him that I thought that his ex-wife may feel sometime of way about that and suggested that maybe they can call me Umi? Is this okay is there any hadith or ruling about this?
May we all go in peace!
mwaraitch  
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mwaraitch Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2010 at 9:48pm
Your feeling for ex wife of your fiance are appreciable. While rights of the mother (ex-wife) are to be respected and with held, Islam does not undermine your rights.

Depending upon the age of the daughter, it may be appropriate that the child is let to know your status. You have the same status as that of mother. Being wife of the father, you have the status of the mother for the children and the children must know that.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?id=13819 (You can read about wet nurse, and step mother at this link, ie the status at almost all available sources I could find).

Edited by mwaraitch - 08 December 2010 at 9:50pm
Read Quran - Read in the Name of Allah
Online Quran Academy
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version