Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Smile & Don't Be Sad Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2011 at 12:19am
Much that in Appearance is Harmful is in Fact a Blessing

William James said:

"Our handicaps help us to an extent that we never expected. If Dostoyevski and Tolstoy had not lived painful lives, they would not have been capable of writing their ageless journals. So being an orphan, blind, poor, or away from home and comfort are all conditions that may lead you to accomplishment and distinction, to advancement and contribution. "

A poet said:

"Allah can bestow His blessings through trials that are small or large, And He puts some to trial by giving them of His blessings."

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=99

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2011 at 12:24am

Faith is the Greatest Remedy!

One of the foremost experts in psychology of our time, Dr. Carl Jung, mentioned on page 264 of his book The Modern Man In Search Of Spirit:

"Over the last thirty years, people from all over the world have come to me seeking advice. I treated hundreds of patients and most of them were middle-aged, or more than thirty-five years old.

The problem with every one of them returned to one issue - seeking refuge in religion, and by doing so, being able to have a perspective or outlook on life.

I can reasonably say that every one of them became sick because they missed out on that which religion has to offer to the believer. And the one who does not develop a true faith cannot be healed."

(But whosoever turns away from My Reminder [i. e. neither believes in this Qur'an nor acts on its orders, etc.] verily for him is a life of hardship...)

(Qur'an 20: 124)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2011 at 12:29am

Do not Lose Hope

Allah answers the prayer of the disbeliever who is in distress; so how much more can the Muslim expect who doesn't associate partners with Him?

Mahatma Gandhi, perhaps second in popularity in India only to the Buddha, was on the verge of slipping were it not for his dependence on the strength of prayer. And how do I know this? Because, he himself said, "If I didn't pray, I would have gone mad a long time ago. This was the effect of prayer, and Gandhi was not even a Muslim. Unquestionably, his falsehood was great, but what kept him going was that he was on a path.

(And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allah, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others.)

(Quran 29: 65)

(ls not He [better than your gods] we responds to the distressed one, when he calls Him)

(Qur'an 27: 62)

(And they think that they are encircled therein, they invoke Allah, making their Faith pure for Him Alone, saying, if you [Allah] deliver us from this, we shall truly be of the grateful.) (Qur'an 10: 22)

Despite a thorough search through the biographies of Muslim scholars, Muslim historians, and Muslim writers as a group, I have failed to find a single one of them who fell prey to anxiety, confusion, and mental illnesses. The reason is that they lived in peace and serenity, and that they lived uncomplicated lives that were free from all forms of affectation.

(But those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and believe in that which is sent down to Muhammad, for it is the truth from their Lord, He will expiate from them their sins, and will make good their state.) (Quran 47: 2)

Contemplate the following statement of Ibn Hazim:

"There is only one day separating kings and me. As for yesterday, their taste of it has vanished and both they and I equally fear what tomorrow will bring. Thus there is only today. And what will today bring' ...

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=101

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2011 at 12:18am

Contentment Repels Sadness

The Messenger of Allah (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said:

"We do not say other than that which pleases our Lord."

Upon you is a sacred duty to surrender yourself to what is preordained for you. lf you fulfill this duty, you will be successful in the long run.

Your only escape is to believe in preordainment, since whatever has been decreed must inevitably take place. No subterfuge or artifice can protect you from it...

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=104

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 March 2011 at 12:00am

The days rotate in bringing good and bad

It has been related that Imam Ahmad visited Baqi ibn Mukhalid while he was sick and said to him:

"O' Baqi, rejoice in Allah's reward. The days of health are devoid of sickness and the days of sickness are devoid of health."

This means that during days of health one never contemplates sickness, for plans and ambitions then increase, as do hopes and desires.

During days of severe sickness, however, one forgets matters that pertain to times of health; weak despair encamps itself within the sick soul, and thus hopelessness prevails. Allah, the Exalted, said:

(And if we give man a taste of Mercy from Us, and then withdraw it from him, verily! He is despairing, ungrateful. But if we let him taste good [favor] after evil [poverty and harm] has touched him, he is sure to say: 'Ills have departed from me. 'Surely, he is exultant, and boastful [ungrateful to Allah]. Except those who show patience and do righteous good deeds, those: theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward [Paradise].)

(Qur'an 11: 9-11)

Commenting on this verse, Ibn Katheer wrote:

"Allah is describing man and the base characteristic that he is the possessor of (with the exception of those believers upon whom Allah has bestowed His mercy). In general, if man is afflicted with hardship after ease, he becomes hopeless of ever seeing good in the future; he shows disdain for the past as if he never experienced good days - and despair for the future as if he never expected succor and relief ...

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=106

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2011 at 12:28am

Travel throughout Allah's wide earth

lt has rightly been said that traveling drives away worries. Ramhumuzi enumerated in his book, The Noble Scholar of Hadeeth, the various benefits of traveling for the purpose of seeking knowledge. He was refuting those who think that no tangible benefit can be derived by traveling through the lands. He said:

"There is much profit to be derived from seeing new lands and new houses, in seeing beautiful gardens and fields, in seeing different faces and coming across different languages and colors, and in witnessing the wonders of different countries.

The peace that one finds under the shades of large trees is unparalleled. Eating in the mosques, drinking from streams, and sleeping wherever one finds a place when night comes ----- these all instill affability and humbleness in a person.

The traveler befriends all those whom he loves for Allah's sake and he has no reason to flatter or to be artificial.

Add to these benefits all of the happiness that the traveler's heart feels when he reaches his destination, and the thrill he experiences after having overcome all of the obstacles that were on his way ...

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=107

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2011 at 12:19am

Do Not Let Calamity Shake You

Plato said:

"Hardship is as beneficial to the soul as it is unwelcome in one's life. Comfort is as harmful to the soul as it is welcome in life."

When someone begins to understand his purpose in life, he will know that he is being tested either to gain reward from Allah or to gain atonement for his sins.

After reading a book written by At-Tanooki, I derived three conclusions:

I. Relief comes after hardship. This is a consistent pattern in the life of man, as consistent as the coming of morning after darkness.

2. Hardship is more beneficial to the soul of man than are comfort and ease.

3. The One who brings good and drives away evil is Allah. Know that whatever happens to you was decreed for you, and whatever you have missed out was never meant for you.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=110

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2011 at 12:14am

If you embrace Islam, there is no reason for you to be sad

A famous caller to Islam settled in Munich, Germany some years ago. Upon reaching the entrance of this city, he noticed a large placard. Upon it was written, "You don't know Yokohama Tires." He later put up a sign beside it and it was just as large. He wrote on it,

"You don't know Islam.

If you wish to know about it, call us at this number."

There was an inundation of calls from native Germans. In one year alone, thousands of people accepted Islam at this man's hands. He also established a mosque, an Islamic center, and a school.

Most human beings are confused and are in dire need of this great religion. They need Islam so that a peaceful and serene life can take the place of the chaotic one that they are presently leading...

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=115

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2011 at 12:09am

Pause to Reflect

Asmaa' bint 'Umays related that the Messenger of Allah (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said to her:

"Shall I not teach you words that you should say when in distress: "Allah, Allah, My Lord; I do not associate any partners with Him."

In another hadith, the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) informed us that when one is afflicted with sickness or hardship, he will find relief if he says:

"Allah, My Lord; He has no partner."

At times, one becomes afflicted with a severe trial. If he turns to his Lord and surrenders his will to Him without associating any partners with Him, his hardship will go away.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=120

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:22am

Good Manners

Good manners lead to prosperity, while bad ones lead to misery.

ln a hadith, the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said:

"Through good manners, one reaches the status of the person who not only fasts, but who also stands late in the night to pray."

He (Blessings and Peace be upon him) also said:

"Shall I not inform you of the most beloved to me and the one seated closest to me on the Day of Resurrection:

'Those of you who are best in manners."'

(And verily you [O' Muhammad] are on an exalted standard of character) (Qur'an 68: 4)

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=122

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2011 at 12:02am

Sleepless Nights

lf you toss and turn during the night without being able to fall asleep, do the following:

l. Remember Allah with Prophetic supplications or supplications taken from the Qur'an:

(Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.)

(Qur'an 13: 28)

2. Avoid sleeping during the day, except when you have no other choice:

(And have made the day for livelihood.) (Qur'an 78: 11)

3. Read or write until sleep comes:

)And say: 'My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.)

(Qur'an 20: 114)

4. Work hard during the day:

(And [it is He Who] makes the day Nushur [i.e. getting up and going about here and there for daily work, etc., after one's sleep at night or like resurrection after ones death].) (Qur'an 25: 47)

5. Consume stimulants such as coffee and tea in moderation.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=123

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2011 at 12:33am

Strive for your sustenance, but don't be covetous

The Lord of the worlds provides for the worm in the ground:

(There is not a moving [living] creature on earth, nor a bird that flies with its two wings, but are communities like you.)

(Qur'an 6: 38)

Allah provides for the birds in the sky and for the fish in the sea:

(And it is He Who feeds but is not fed.) (Qur'an 6: 14)

You are worthier than a worm, bird, or fish, so don't worry about sustenance.

l have known people who were stricken by poverty simply because of their distance from Allah. Some of them were rich and healthy, but instead of being thankful they turned away from obedience to Allah, they abandoned prayer, and they perpetrated major sins. Allah took away from them their health and their wealth, replacing these with poverty, sickness, and anxiety. They were then afflicted with hardship upon hardship, calamity upon calamity.

(But whosoever turns away from My Reminder; verily for him is a life of hardship...)

(Qur'an 20: 124)

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=125

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2011 at 12:00am

The Secret of Guidance

Contentment and happiness are blessings that are given only to those who follow the straight path. Muhammad (peace be upon him) left us upon one end of this path, and at the other end of it are the gardens of Paradise.

(And indeed we should then have guided them to a Straight Way)

(Qur'an 4: 68)

By happiness we mean this: when one adheres to the straight path, though he may be afflicted with hardships along the way, he is confident of a happy ending and a future abode in Paradise. As a result, he will follow the Prophet (peace be upon him), who spoke not from his own desires, who was immune to the whisperings of the Devil, and whose sayings are a proof upon mankind.

(For each [person], there are angels in succession, before and behind him. They guard him by the Command of Allah.) (Quran 13: 11)

One can sense the joy of a righteous person by his mannerisms and by his treading the straight path. He knows that he has a Lord and that he has a role model in the Messenger (peace be upon him); he has the Book of Allah in his hand, illumination in his heart, and a conscience that prompts him to do well. He is advancing to a greater state of bliss and is always striving for betterment.

(This is the Guidance of Allah with which he guides whosoever He will of His slaves.) (Qur'an 6: 88)

There are two paths: one that is figurative and the other that has a physical reality. The first path is that of faith, which one treads in this transient life e a life that is fraught with temptations and desires.- The second path is in the Hereafter. Every person will have to go across that second path in order to reach Paradise. Anyone who fails will plunge into the Fire. This path or bridge is teeming with spikes.

Whoever is guided to the path of faith and belief in this life will safely cross the path of the Hereafter---the speed at which he crosses will be proportional to the level of his faith. And know that if one is blessed with being guided to the straight path, his worries and anxieties will quickly vanish.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=126

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2011 at 12:42am

Ten Gems for a Good and Noble Life

l. Wake up in the last third of the night to beg forgiveness from Allah.

(And those who pray and beg Allah s Pardon in the last hours of the night.)

(Quran 3: 17)

2. At least once in a while, seclude yourself from people in order to contemplate.

(And [those who] think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth) (Quran 3: 191)

3. Stay in the company of the righteous.

(And keep yourself patiently with those who call on their Lord)

(Quran 18: 28)

4. Remember Allah often.

(Remember Allah with much remembrance.) (Quran 33: 41)

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=177&chapter=127

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version