Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: What do you think is the best Qur'an translation? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Topic: What do you think is the best Qur'an translation?
    Posted: 25 February 2011 at 2:06am
Asalaamu alaikum,

I was wondering which translation members here feel is the best translation.  My women's group seems to agree that Yusuf Ali is the best translation.  I wish I spoke Arabic so I wouldn't have to rely on translations of Allah's words, but since I don't, I'm looking for recommendations.  I read the whole translated version by Syed Vickar Ahamed by the Book of Signs Foundation.  It was given to me by a local masjid. 

I have the Yusuf Ali translation, thanks to Why Islam's new revert kit.  I plan to read this one next, insha'Allah.  I also just got a book and CDs about teaching yourself Arabic.  It is used by a local Arabic school.  I plan to use this to learn as much as I can before taking a class, possibly in the Fall, at a local college.  Insha'Allah maybe one day I won't need these translations.  But for now, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Katatonic Bliss  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Forum Metalhead
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Katatonic Bliss Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2011 at 2:21am
Peace,

I enjoy reading the different English translations of the Qur'an as it helps me learn all the minute variants within the word meanings of the original texts and how they apply to God's Word.  I find Yusuf Ali's version akin to the Bible's King James Version, emphasizing the grandeur of God and His Word. 

Pickthall's translation is said to be the most literal, which I find excellent for study as it is a much simpler text and most of his translations in print are organized into paragraphs instead of verse by verse and usually exclude the actual Arabic.

I currently have a Qur'an translated by Ahmed Ali, who in the preface said his translation is an attempt at a clear translation while keeping closely with the original Arabic rhythmic style of delivery/reading/recitation.  It's quite enjoyable to read.

On this website when posting verses, I usually use the Sahih International translation because I find it slightly more "to the point" than Pickthall's translation.  I'll sometimes use a different translation if I feel it is clearer.
"Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?"

"I didn't know I was supposed to be lookin' for him" ~Forrest Gump
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2011 at 3:16pm
I've heard great reviews of the MAS Abdul-Haleem translation, especially from Arabic teachers. It's supposed to be the most modern while grasping the meanings of the original Arabic.

Yusuf Ali is one of my least favorite, actually. I haven't gone through the Haleem translation myself yet, so I usually rely on either Muhsin Khan or Sahih International, when I'm going for translations.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2011 at 3:25pm
Salam

I have heard many Quranic scholars I trust say good things about the Haleem translation, can't say I have read it myself.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2011 at 4:40pm
Thank you for your answers. Maybe I will try to find the Haleem translation, since it sounds like this is respected translation.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2011 at 4:46pm
http://www.amazon.com/Quran-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199535957/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2011 at 11:19pm
Thanks for the link.
Kadaveri  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Kadaveri Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2011 at 7:34am
The translation by Muhammad Asad is my favourite, followed by Pickthall's. Yusuf Ali's is not good, he (probably unintentionally) distorts the meaning of the text by filling it with sparkly language.
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2011 at 2:20am
There are so many translations and they seem to be loved by some and really not at all liked by some.  I guess I just need to read a few.  I guess the most important thing to me is to get as close to the real, original message as possible.  I truly hope to study Arabic at some point in the future but until then, I have to rely on translations. 

Thanks again for the answers and any other input would be greatly appreciated.
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2011 at 1:03pm
The Muhammad Asad translation is also a favorite of mine, his explanations are very thorough and have grounding within the Qur'an, Sunnah and language.

A much easier translation which I recommend especially for new Muslims and those who want to read the text without too many notes and insertions would be the 'Saheeh International" translation.

Of course, there is no substitution for the original Arabic text. To get directly to what Allah has said, knowledge of the Arabic language is necessary, an obligation.
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2011 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Kadaveri

The translation by Muhammad Asad is my favourite, followed by Pickthall's. Yusuf Ali's is not good, he (probably unintentionally) distorts the meaning of the text by filling it with sparkly language.
Yusuf Ali's translation is not always exact, but has the advantage to give some idea of the beauty of the original Qur'an.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2012 at 1:49am
I just bought a Kindle Fire and downloaded Haleem after looking through old threads for this one.  Thanks for the advice.  Insha'Allah I'll read Haleem's translation now.  As I said, I think it's useful to read different translations and see the differences in interpretation since I am not yet advanced enough to read the Arabic, true Qur'an.
Celal  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Celal Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2012 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Aviatrix

I've heard great reviews of the MAS Abdul-Haleem translation, especially from Arabic teachers. It's supposed to be the most modern while grasping the meanings of the original Arabic.

Originally posted by hamayoun

Salam

I have heard many Quranic scholars I trust say good things about the Haleem translation, can't say I have read it myself.

Originally posted by searching

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I will try to find the Haleem translation, since it sounds like this is respected translation.

Here is a sample of his work:

"Husbands should take good care of their wives, with [the bounties] God has given to some more than others and with what they spend out of their own money. Righteous wives are devout and guard what God would have them guard in their husbandsí absence. If you fear high-handedness from your wives, remind them [of the teachings of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them.If they obey you, you have no right to act against them: God is most high and great. " Quran 4:34

Can someone please explain why Man hitting his wife  is a modern take on the Qur'an?

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2012 at 2:43am
When asked about this verse, I've read that the Prophet (PBUH) said not to hit them with anything bigger than a toothstick, basically a toothbrush. And to only tap them lightly to let them know the husband is fed up. This is only after really reasoning with and telling his wife to stop whatever horrible behavior she is doing, like cheating, drinking, neglecting children. Then he should refuse to sleep with her. Then, if he thinks it would help, he can tap her lightly, which kind of symbolically says that he is really at the end of his rope and divorce would be likely or other damage to the family.

If someone else can explain this better, please do.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version