Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ramadan Topics
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Ramadan Topics
Message Icon Topic: Medications and fasting Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 08 August 2011 at 3:36pm

You can take a 5 mg dose at suhoor about half an hour after eating at the onset of time of fast.You might have to wake up a little early for Suhoor...I hope thats ok.

And when iftar time comes just take your other 5 mg with water and some dates or light snacks and then eat after one hour.When the time comes to increase the dose to 20 mg BD then just divide it to 10/10.

Insha Allah I hope this would solve the problem and correct your dosing schedule.Don't worry, even with some food in your stomach, the absorption of the drug would be fine Insha Allah.

Take the opinion of your doctor as well.There are transdermal patches that can be worn  in emergency situations to manage chronic pain which you can use in Ramadan but Insha Allah I pray that this dosing schedule works.

May Allah give you Shifa and enable you to continue fasting without any hindrances Aameen.
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2011 at 2:46am
Jazak Allah khair sister,

I have spoken to a Muslim pharmacist at work and I'm waiting for my doctor's response. I will decide what to do. I just took the medicine today after about 13 hours with sips of water, just enough to swallow it. My pain was really bad since I worked today. I didn't eat though and was still so thirsty and hungry by maghreb time. I guess Allah will have to judge me as He sees fit but I think I have to do it this way due to the pain. And the pharmacist said I really need to take it on an empty stomach. She said this is one that really should be taken without any food. She said some drugs say that but you can take them 30 minutes before eating. She said this one needs to really be on an empty stomach. But that aside, I just have too much pain.

I will insha'Allah talk to my doctor and see what she says maybe about the patch. I just have to do my best under the circumstances and hope Allah is merciful.

Edited by searching - 09 August 2011 at 2:47am
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2011 at 8:44am
Assalaamualekum sister Searching

Well generally the food restrictions are for fatty meals but I can understand your pharmacist's concern.Its not about just being dangerous with food which at low doses, its not but about not yet finding your individual dose for the drug and food may hinder ascertaining that.

You are technically still in the titration phase with Opana and have started with the lowest dose ie 5 (it comes in 5 - 40 mg strength), meaning you need to find a dose that works...Opana is lipid soluble and so is absorbed and metabolized more quickly when a fatty meal is taken.The ingestion of food with or prior to administration of the drug can result in a 50% increase in the maximum concentration achieved after a single dose. Because of this food effect, the pharmacists recommend administration of Opana and Opana ER at least 1 hour before or at least 2 hours after eating but these restrictions are a safety concern for those who  are successfully titrated to oxymorphone ER as excessive blood levels may be experienced with higher dosages beyond 20 mg.Some people who have been taking Opana for longer periods or at low doses actually prefer to take it with food  and it has been safe in their case so as to acheive better pain control but you should do as your doctor prescribes because you have just started to use this drug and your body still needs to respond to it.Don't worry if your pain is still not controlled on the current schedule because the doctor needs to find the dosage just right for you so that it is effective and well tolerated.

Just consult with your doctor on what to do.Maybe he can give you the Opana trial after Ramadan and switch you back on drugs that comply with the Ramadan schedule or maybe they can give you an asymmetric (different dose given in AM than in PM) dosing, tailored to the pain pattern which helps some patients although symmetric (same dose AM and PM), around-the-clock, every 12 hours dosing is appropriate for the majority of patients.Explain the Ramadan eating schedule to him.He can Insha Allah come up with alternatives and maybe switch you to other drugs for now.Insha Allah whatever is best for you.

May Allah make it easy on you and give you Shifa Aameen.

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2011 at 6:24pm
Well I made the mistake of taking it with food this morning. I hadn't read your post yet. I didn't wake up at 3:25 to take it one hour before suhoor. So I just decided to take it with suhoor. I thought it wouldn't work as well with food.

The result was that I could hardly keep my eyes open. I was walking across my room to get some socks and I was stumbling. I felt drunk. Luckily, I got cancelled at work because there was no way I could drive in that condition. I literally felt drunk (I used to drink occasionally before converting). So I won't do that again. It was stupid on my part since the pharmacist just told me to take it on an empty stomach.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:33pm
I am sorry to hear that sister Searching.Thank God  that you managed to take the day off.

Hope you are feeling better now and that you sort this out with your doctor soon Insha Allah

Take care and I am sorry that my advice was not helpful.
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2011 at 8:06pm
Whatever happens with my medication and fasting, you don't need to apologize.  You are always so helpful and you're one of the people I trust the most here.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2011 at 11:25am
Thats very gracious of you sister Searching

Thank you...

Please don't worry....Insha Allah you will be able to resolve this issue with the help of a scholar...there is ease in religion , not hardship.

May Allah reward you  for your struggle Aameen

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 12:16am
Well I did get an answer from a scholar, alhamdulilah. He said I would be exempt from fasting based on my medication problems. He said if I could make up the days in the winter that would be good but if that still messes up the medicine, I could feed a poor person for each day I missed. I think I should be able to fast in the winter when the days are shorter and it won't mess up my medication schedule so much. But I also donated to Islamic Relief. I just still feel very guilty about this whole thing and kind of not like a real Muslim.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 12:29am
There is no room for feeling guilty sister

This is God's command: a person who is taking medication which can't be fit in the fasting schedule is exempt from fasting

In-Shaa-Allah you can make up for these days in the winter

God wants ease for us, He does not want hardship

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 1:34am
Thank you for posting that. I do appreciate your kindness.
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 4:28pm
Its great that you were able to consult a scholar.

Our body is a trust from God sister searching and you are being rewarded for taking care of it.Plus you have the intention of fasting in the winter months and Insha Allah you will be able to manage it then...infact you are being rewarded for that intention as well as for feeding the poor in the meantime...so  even if you are not able to fast due to medical reasons,you are being blessed for all these good deeds Insha Allah... just imagine the ease your donation would bring to others....Allah has made you the source of relieving someone's hardship.Alhumdulillah

Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 6:27pm
Sister Searching,

when I was pregnant I insisted on fasting despite the fact I was feeling so weak. Then a Muslim teacher told me that I wasn't doing something good: just think God has given you a present (to break the fasting if you are ill or pregnant or travelling) and you refuse it by fasting anyway. It's just like you are telling God "I don't need your present, I am strong enough ", which could be a sign of arrogance.

You have a really valid excuse not to fast, and if you aren't able to make up for the lost days, than you'll do something wonderful by helping poor Muslim with your money, so just be happy for this blessing.

What does your son say about the fasting? Does he asks questions, maybe he wants to try himself?
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
searching  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote searching Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2011 at 8:33pm
My son doesn't want to fast himself. But he really respects me fasting. He actually prayed to Allah to forgive me for not fasting at the time I wasn't sure if I had a valid medical reason. He is so sweet, alhamdulilah. How old is your oldest? My son turned 9 in June.
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2011 at 9:54am
My oldest daughter is going to turn 6  in 10 days inshaAllah. it wil be the day before Eid, so she wishes a bicycle for her birthday and skates for Eid ...
Your son is very sweet alhamdulillah!
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version