Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Dr. Tariq Ramadan Talks Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 18 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Dr. Tariq Ramadan Talks
    Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:29am
Beyond Tolerance: Islam & Pluralism

Tariq Ramadan, a world-renowned Muslim scholar and professor of contemporary Islamic studies at Oxford University, speaks on the importance of going beyond toleration to develop a respect rooted in religious insight about human diversity.

Hosted by the Institute for Philosophy and Religion (IPR) and the Institute on Culture, Religion and World Affairs (CURA) on October 13, 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igxdcl2dDm0&feature=related

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2012 at 1:24pm
The Islamic Theory of Salvation

Dr. Tariq Ramadan gives a summary explanation of the Islamic theory of salvation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFROrFY0Np0&feature=related

(63 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 January 2012 at 1:06am
Conversations with History at Berkeley

Conversations host Harry Kreisler welcomes Oxford University Professor Tariq Ramadan for a discussion of his new book, "What I Believe."

Reflecting on the formative experiences of his life, Professor Ramadan traces the influence of his family, his education in Western philosophy and Islamic studies, and the impact of his different careers including high school principal, philosopher, and Islamic scholar.

He explains what it means to be a religious reformer and characterizes his work as a bridge builder between the Islamic world and the West. Articulating his commitment to universal principles and resistance to inequality, Ramadan analyzes the tensions facing Muslims in an era of globalization as they strive to be fully engaged as citizens committed to Western values.

Professor Ramadan also discusses his perspective on women's rights and the controversy over the building of a mosque near the World Trade Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWB0zw_02O0

(53 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2012 at 1:13am
Empowering Women, Strengthening Societies

Dr. Tariq Ramadan gave this talk in the UK in January 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULAH3dIYJM&feature=related

The title is "Muslim Women Pioneering Change in 21st. Century Britain"

(53 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2012 at 11:37pm

Want to change the world? Build your mind

Tariq Ramadan’s 7 Cs of Seeking Knowledge

Students, be careful!

The Prophet (peace be upon him) was asking "O Allah, we are asking you useful knowledge”.

By meaning this you have to understand that knowledge is but a means. Never worship knowledge.

Use knowledge as a means towards Allah, but don’t start by worshiping knowledge per se. If you are doing this you are going to be used or misled. You know what the Chinese proverb says? “When the wise man is pointing out to the moon, the crazy guy is looking at the finger”; the foolish is looking at the finger.

Worship Allah and use your knowledge in order to worship better. But don’t be obsessed with your non-stop desire to gain knowledge and the idea that if someone has knowledge you are going to respect him not as a means towards Allah but as someone you start to hold as sacred or worshiping. This is wrong.

Scholars are at the Service of Their Communities

The scholars of this community are at the service of their community. Why?

Because they are showing the path towards Allah. We are all here to worship not to serve ourselves or to be served by the community...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/455430-tariq-ramadan-7-cs-of-seeking-knowledge-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 January 2012 at 11:35pm

Performing good deeds in our society as means of getting closer to God

An interesting talk by Dr. Ramadan in the UK on the importance of doing good deeds in society

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPSv1d_IxUI&feature=related

(Audio - 71 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 January 2012 at 12:45am

Western Muslims: From Integration to Contribution

Tariq Ramadan: EU Muslims or Muslims in Europe?

I was asked to speak about a certain topic. Do we have to speak about being European Muslims or being Muslims in Europe?

And I think it’s not by accident, 15 years ago when I first wrote a book to be a European Muslim I got some reactions from my fellow Muslims saying: “No you have to say being a Muslim in Europe”.

I say “No I’m European by culture, and I’m a Muslim by religion so I’m a European Muslim”. So it’s not to be a Muslim somewhere else. This is home for me, and this is home for you, and this is home for us...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/455551-tariq-ramadan-eu-muslims-or-muslims-in-europe.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 February 2012 at 1:24pm
The Quest for Meaning and Pluralism

Dr. Tariq Ramadan gives a summary of his book (The Quest of Meaning) at the SFU's Segal Graduate School of Business in Canada last February

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgW3vP7p3no&feature=related

(53 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2012 at 12:14am

Living Islam in Non-Muslim Countries

Tariq Ramadan: How to Empower Yourself

Part of Dr. Tariq Ramadan's talk at the ISNA 2011 Convention, session titled "Loving God, Loving Neighbor, Living in Harmony"

... very often my conclusion is that not only there is a lack of knowledge or there is a lack of education, but there is something which is deep down; which is a crisis.

It’s a religious crisis but if you take it from all these dimensions you would say it’s a psychological crisis. And the psychological crisis is either we are victims or we are not liked, and even in our discourse we are not at the level which is expected, and we keep on repeating this: “We should be better. We should do more”, and at the end if you keep on repeating this- this is coming from basic psychology- if you keep on repeating that you are not able to do something or anything, at the end you will believe that you are not able.

So you end up with a victim mentality, where you are criticizing the others because they are saying things about you. And hence you are creating and nurturing your own passivity and your own helplessness. This is the point that we have to tackle and come back to the starting point when it comes to our young Muslims, but not only the youth, I can see this in leaders. I can see this in the discourse that we have with some scholars who keep on repeating “Look, it’s not working. We are not succeeding. There is a problem”.

Spiritual Empowerment

So let me come to how do we solve this psychological crisis and where does it start. And this is where it’s very important for all of us, and it’s a personal commitment here to come to the understanding of our religion and to ask at the end of the day what are the main objectives of our religion helping us to get this empowerment; individual and collective empowerment, which is needed today, and which was always needed in the Islamic civilization in our history...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/455613-tariq-ramadan-empower-yourself-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:48am
How to Be a Muslim in America? (Tariq Ramadan)

Your spirituality, your heart, yourself; don’t forget yourself into the society, and don’t forget the society because you care about your own self. So it’s always a balance. And then give. You are what you give, and you are what you are in the same time. This is the very meaning of being a Muslim: {those who believe and do good deeds.} (Al-Baqarah 2; 25). This is the balance.

It’s not going to easy, you’ll have people if you are here to please them you’ll never be at peace with your own self, because life is not to please the people. Life is about His satisfaction, and you know that when you please God you will be respected by the people. This is the very meaning of being with God.

And then the second thing which is also important is whatever are the critiques and the people rejecting you, at the end you’ll find that within this society many people are starting to listen. Many Americans know something is wrong in the whole discussion. So they are listening to Muslims, they are listening to us, they want to know...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/455856-tariq-ramadan-how-to-be-a-muslims-in-america.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2012 at 11:06pm
An Article by Dr. Ramadan on Parenthood in Islam

It is important for Muslims to have a discussion about fatherhood while keeping in mind the ever-fragile state of Muslim families.

We need to re-assess the language we use and the ontological assumptions we make when we speak about the role of the father because often, the problem doesn’t just lie with the crisis but the way we deal with it.

Muslims naturally feel inclined to place the mother at the centre of the process of raising children, unwittingly ignoring the father’s role. Islamic tradition does stress the role of the mother. For example, when asked who a Muslim should love most, the Prophet Muhammad said:

“Your mother, your mother, your mother and then your father.” (Al-Bukhari, Muslim)

It is also said that paradise lies at the feet of the mother. As a result, we tend to focus on the father as an individual, not as someone who should and can play a central role within his family.

When we assess issues from an Islamic perspective, we categorize everything according to “rights” and “duties”. We speak of the rights of the man, the rights of the woman, the duties of the man, the duties of the woman. This mentality is dangerous. It reduces issues to black and white, right and wrong absolutes. This approach is more prevalent than we realize. We must take from all the human sciences that can deal with family problems.

Another problem in our approach is the idealism. We speak about an idealized past and idealized families which have nothing to do with reality, whether it be now or the history of our ancestors. Muslims must realize we may be Muslims but we live in Western societies and therefore, face the same problems as other families...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/family/455908-fatherhood-in-islam.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2012 at 11:34pm
An Article by Dr. Ramadan on Spirituality

There is a need to rediscover and reclaim spirituality that permeates Eastern cultures, and that lies at the heart of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic traditions, a consideration that today's social and political uprisings can ill afford to neglect.

For there can be no viable democracy, no pluralism in any society without the well-being of individuals, the citizens and the religious communities.

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/research-studies/islamic-thought/455986-contemporary-muslims-are-in-need-of-spirituality.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2012 at 11:58pm
Western Muslims Beyond Integration

when I am saying Western Muslims or Western Islam, European Islam or European Muslims, I’m not speaking about another Islam which is not the very Islam that we know. I’m talking about something else which has to be understood here. When it comes to our religion as Muslims, there’s only one Islam as to the set of universal principles that we believe in.

It is quite clear, and any ordinary Muslim should know that: one Islam is the creed we call six pillars of faith which are universally agreed by all the Muslims, whatever is your tradition- Sunni, Salafi, Sufi, or Shiite...  We all do not have a problem with this. The pillars of our religion, our faith are the same six pillars, what is called al-‘Aqidah (creed)...

This means that ‘yes, one Islam, but from the very beginning many cultures as well. So when we speak about European Islam, we say European or Canadian Islam, American Islam, Western Islam, we say Western as to the culture and Islamic as to principles; one Islam and many Islamic cultures...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/456016-tariq-ramadan-western-muslims-beyond-integration.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2012 at 7:53am
Understanding our world. Christopher Hitchens and  Dr.Tariq Ramadan Debate:

Is Islam a Religion of Peace?

(About 100 mins)
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Page  of 18 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version