Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Dr. Tariq Ramadan Talks Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:45pm

Toward a Better Future for Western Muslims

How Are Muslim Women Perceived in the West?

Transcript of part of an interview conducted by Dr. Tariq Ramadan with sister Myriam Francois-Cerrah, media representative of the Oxford University Islamic Society, UK, in the weekly TV program “Islam and Life.”

In the interview, sister Myriam, herself a convert to Islam, reflects on the general negative perception of female Muslims in the West and compares that to the reality on the ground, in answering the central question of the episode:

How is the Female Muslim Perceived in the West?

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/457126-how-the-female-muslim-perceived-in-the-west.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:54pm
What Does it Mean to be Faithful?

Adaab seeks to inspire people who will engage with Islamic sources and their communities in the light of our realities.

This video is from a course on Towards Faithfulness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXfGnHTypA

(45 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:55pm
Reform: What Do We Mean?

A talk by Dr. Ramadan on the meaning of reform in the Islamic context

This video is from a course on "Towards Faithfulness
"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ley6dY9r718&feature=relmfu

(50 minutes)

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 20 May 2012 at 11:13pm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 11:21pm

Tariq Ramadan & Eric Gregory: Religion and the Problem of Oppression

A dialogue for bridge building between Dr. Tariq Ramadan and Dr. Eric Gregory at Princeton University within the framework of the Muslim Life program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJ1JV6v-O4&feature=related

(88 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:50pm

Muslims in the West:

Why Do Westerners Convert to Islam? (Interview)

Transcript of part of an interview conducted by Dr. Tariq Ramadan with sister Batool al-Toma, director of the New Muslims project at the Islamic Foundation, UK, in the weekly TV program “Islam and Life.”

In the interview, sister Batool, herself a convert to Islam, explains the different reasons that encourage westerners to decide to become Muslim.

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/457181-why-do-westerners-convert-to-islam-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:52pm

Toward a Better Future for Western Muslims

Image of Islam in Western Societies (Interview)

Transcript of part of an interview conducted by Dr. Tariq Ramadan with sister Myriam Francois-Cerrah, media representative of the Oxford University Islamic Society, UK, in the weekly TV program “Islam and Life.”

In the interview, sister Myriam, herself a convert to Islam, reflects on the general negative perception of female Muslims in the West and compares that to the reality on the ground, in answering the central question of the episode:

What is the Image of Muhammad (peace be upon him) in Mainstream Western Society?

Myriam Francois: I think the “Inspired by Muhammad” campaign is to remind people that when Muslims are out there doing good, average Muslims are out there working in homeless charities, helping the elderly or be smiling helping them to cross the road, they are all doing it because that’s the model that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us.

And that’s what the objective is, to model that good behavior in everyday lives but as you said there is obviously a need to a kind of broader campaign. And we said that “Inspired by Muhammad” is just a campaign by one element. We hope that Muslims will take it upon themselves to go out there and reflect that good behavior, and to remember that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in his life had to deal with far worse persecution than we are going through today, and in fact did not react in anything of semblance to what we see on our television screens...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/457230-image-of-islam-in-west.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:27am

Tariq Ramadan on Religious Freedom

Dr. Tariq Ramadan speaks at Shura Council event on April 17, 2012 on Religious Freedom and the US Constitution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qzsik4IwnA

(49 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:20pm
Tariq Ramadan: Islamic Business Ethics

Transcript of part of an interview conducted by Dr. Tariq Ramadan with Tariq El-Diwany, author, consultant and a contributing editor of the book “Islamic Banking and Finance: What It Is And What It Could Be” in the weekly TV program “Islam and Life.”

In the interview, Tariq El-Diwany explains how can Muslims conduct business ethically in today’s world

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/457341-islamic-business-ethics.html

(8 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:38pm
The Quest for Meaning

Renowned philosopher and scholar Tariq Ramadan asks:

How can different religious traditions move beyond tolerant co-existence to mutual respect and enrichment?

RSA event 15th Sep 2010; 18:00

How different are different religions and traditions of thought?
How can we see past our differences and discover what we have in common?

Philosopher and Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan visits the RSA to interrogate the religious and secular concepts that frame current debates around faith and reason, emotions and spirituality, tradition and modernity, freedom, equality, universality, and civilization.

Acknowledging the greatest flashpoints, Ramadan attempts to bridge paths to a common ground between differing religious and intellectual traditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2gnZhDWug&feature=relmfu

(39 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:18pm

Tariq Ramadan: Following Muhammad’s Footsteps

Spirituality and Knowledge Are Two Main Keys

Writing was a reform process for me, because for almost 25 years when I was asked about the main principle of Islam, I used to stress that Islam is all about justice, God commands justice. And while I was writing I said, look it is wrong. I found out that justice is a means for a higher objective, and I found that the very essence and objective of Islam is peace.

In Islam there is the word salam, which is also one of the names of God “As-Salam” one of the names of Paradise “Dar As-Salam”, that is something we have to get in our hearts and in our roles, peace in life and peace within the society.

The Prophet, peace be upon him, used to say to people, “Spread peace among you.”  When you greet someone in Arabic you don’t say, have a nice day, you say “peace be with you,” which is the essence of this religion. Peace is not only something that we get, it is an ongoing objective...

While I was writing an introduction about Islam, I found the best introduction to Islam is the Prophet’s life, because he was getting the revelation and he was trying to implement it in his daily life. Even when his own wife, Aishah, was asked about him she said “His character, his way of living, was the Quran.” So, if one wants to understand the Quran, one has to look at his life...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/about-muhammad/his-character/457339-following-muhammads-footsteps.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2012 at 1:27am
Tariq Ramadan: Understanding the Objectives of Islamic Law

A recent interesting talk by Dr. Ramadan in the UK on the Objectives of Islamic Law

http://www.tariqramadan.com/The-Objectives-of-Shariah,12104.html

(54 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2012 at 12:35am
Tariq Ramadan: Speaking Truth and Building Power

United For Change 3rd Annual Conference: "United We Stand: One Nation, One Destiny" (2011)

One of the popular phrases found in activist circles is "speaking truth to power." The importance of doing so is alluded to in the prophetic hadith, "The best Jihad is a word of truth in the face of a tyrannical ruler." However, to really bring an Islamic voice to bear on the issues of the day we are going to have to build power.

In this lecture, Tariq Ramadan, one of this generation's towering intellectuals, addresses these twin issues. Why must we continue to speak truth to power, and what are the means by which we can build our own moral, spiritual and intellectual power?

Finally, what are some of the avenues open to us to join our strength with other communities to help create a moral counterweight to an increasingly amoral politics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoWh_v7Fy20&feature=related

(44 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:53pm
A New Approach

A recent talk in the UK by Dr. Ramadan titled (A New Approach) where he talks about reform and the approach of scholars on giving priority to the objectives of Islam in reaching Islamic rulings that are in-line with both the text and the context

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhKyWBuG88

(95 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 July 2012 at 11:08am
Burke Lecture: Interpreting Islam in Modern Context with Tariq Ramadan

Tariq Ramadan is Professor of Contemporary Islamic Studies at the University of Oxford. He contributes to the debate on the issues of Muslims in the West and Islamic revival in the Muslim world.

He emphasizes the differences between religion and culture, which he believes are too often confused, arguing that citizenship and religion are separate concepts. He claims that there is no conflict between being both a Muslim and a European. Series: "Burke Lectureship on Religion & Society"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ6Zh9jKWKE&feature=player_embedded

(83 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version