Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Talks by sister Yasmin Mogahed Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 21 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2012 at 11:49pm
The Empowerment of Women

A brief talk by sister Yasmin on the empowerment of women

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LT_lX7JPn4

(10 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2012 at 11:43pm
Keeping the Heart Alive Series (Part 5)

Pray and Guard Yourself from Satan

For some reason we think taking care of our body is more important than taking care of our soul. And the reason why that’s tragic is because your body is actually wasting away. Every single day your body is dying. But your soul is the same soul you are taking to eternity. You realize that?

The truth is your body is just a shelf. It’s a container. And what really is there; what’s really lasting is your soul. But that soul is what we neglect, and the body is what we take care of. It’s ironic and it’s tragic. This body is passing away and after forty, fifty, sixty years it’s going to be no longer. And all that’s going to be left is the soul and how you took care of it. That’s all that’s going to matter. And that’s will going to be forever in Jannah (paradise) or Jahannam (hell); your soul.

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/456594-guard-yourself-from-satan.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

muslmlady99  
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote muslmlady99 Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2012 at 8:49am
These look very interesting,I'm going to check some of them out.Thanks so much for posting.JazakAllah kyran.
"Are you more difficult to create or is the heaven that He constructed?'Surah 79 Ayat27
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2012 at 1:15am
You're welcomed sister

Welcome to the forum

Love for The Sake of Allah

A brief talk by sister Yasmin on the concept of love, and the different types of love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fk4KuF60k4&feature=related

(Audio - 50 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2012 at 11:43pm
Keeping the Heart Alive Series (Part 6)

Keep Guard of Your Own Self

Within every human being we know that Satan is our external enemy.

But we have another enemy; the internal enemy.

My own nafs (self) is also an enemy against me. So, we know we have some sort of the evil part of our self, that lower part of our self; my desires, the part of me that drives me to lower things, i.e. not to remember Allah or fulfill our worship to Allah.

Instead, it wants me to fulfill my lower desires. That’s my own self. So also I have to guard myself against my own self, against my own nafs.

How To Do It?

There are different ways to do that. Part of the ways to do that is through this whole process we were talking about;  of remembering Allah and having this remembrance becoming constant.

The other aspect which is extremely important is tawbah (repentance). Who knows what tawbah is?...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/456623-keep-guard-of-your-own-self.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 11:43pm

Hardships: Path to The Most Merciful (Part 1)

We think of hardship always as a negative thing. We are programmed to think that way. We are programmed to think that ease is a good thing, and hardship is by definition a bad thing.

But the reason why I like the statement ‘Hardship and the Path to the Most Merciful’, because in fact Allah, exalted is He, is the Most Merciful, and yet He does send us hardship. Right?

Every single human being on earth will go through hardship. So the question we have to ask ourselves is why do we go through hardship? And what is the mercy behind hardship?

No One Escapes Hardship

Sometimes when you are going through something difficult you feel like you are the only person in the world who feels that way; you feel that you are the only one in the world who is going through what you are going through. And although everyone experiences things differently, but are we the only ones in the world who suffer?...

What happens sometimes by feeling that way is we become isolated because we feel that I’m alone in my pain, or I'm alone in my hardship. But this is not true.

First of all, we are not the first to be tested, to suffer, and we are not the last. And while we are going through our hardship, others are also going through hardships. And this is something Allah (SWT) talks about also in Surat Al-‘Imran. ... It’s not unique what we are going through, but even before us there were people who were so tested, and they were so shaken, that even the messengers and those who believed with the messengers cried out in the same way we sometimes cry out when things are really hard asking when is the help of Allah coming. And then Allah here is answering that question: “Indeed, verily, the help of Allah is near”

So this not only comforts us because it tells us that we are not alone, we are not the first and we are not the last to go through hardship, but it also comforts us because it assures us that Allah’s help is near...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/456691-hardships-path-to-the-most-merciful-part-1.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2012 at 11:34pm

Hardships: Path to The Most Merciful

Hardship: An Open Book Test (Part 2)

Now let me ask you this, when you’re in an examination with a professor are you allowed to raise your hand and ask for help?

That’s called cheating. And that's how we think about Allah, exalted is He. We think when we are given the examination ‘Oh, I have got to do this myself! Allah is testing me, He is watching me, and He is going to see how I can do. So, I got to depend on me; on me or on something else of the creation.’ And that is our mistake. We think we cannot raise our hand and ask for help. And that's actually the purpose of the test.

See the difference?

Allah (SWT) is not a professor who gives you a test and then steps back, and sees how are you are going to do

To Turn Back to Him

In fact the test itself is given to you at times in order for you to raise your hand and ask for help; in order for you to go back to Him. Allah (SWT) tells us in the Qur’an many ayahs about hardships, why are hardships given to people. And one of the reasons Allah (SWT) says is so that they will come back to Him:

“And We have sundered them in the earth as (separate) nations. Some of them are righteous, and some far from that. And We have tried them with good things and evil things that haply they might return.” (Al-A’raf 7; 168)

Allah is actually giving the test so people will come back to Him and raise their hands and ask for help...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/456766-hardships-an-open-book-test-part-2.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 2:51am

Toward a Free and Happy Life:

Yasmin Mogahed on the Empowerment of Women (Watch)

... as western feminism erased God from the scene, there were no standards left but men. As a result, the western feminist was forced to find her value in relation to a man. And in so doing, she had accepted a faulty assumption. She had accepted that man is the standard, and thus a woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a man; the standard. When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army. She wanted these things for no other reason than because the standard had it.

What she didn’t recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness, not in their sameness. When we accept men as the standard, suddenly anything uniquely feminine becomes by definition inferior...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/society/456854-yasmin-mogahed-on-the-empowerment-of-women-watch.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:08am
Wife, Mother, Daughter, Slave of God: How Can I Do it?

A lecture by sister Yasmin Mogahed at the Islamic Center of Irvine on April 18, 2012 about how to balance your many roles in life as a woman by putting Allah as your focus.

http://www.onislam.net/english/component/jvideodirect/?v=y848grsvvouQH

(36 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:27pm

Toward a Better Understanding of Islam

Patience is Not Suffering in Silence (Part 1)

in order to take action and to be successful, in order to be firm in that action that you are taking, you need Sabr. You need to be able to stand firm and persevere if you are going to stand up against oppression. So in fact the concept of Sabr in the context of oppression or abuse is quite the opposite to that we usually think of the Sabr.

A lot of times women are told, or a woman believes that if they are being mistreated or being abused they just have to be patient. And this concept of being patient against oppression is something that is not in Islam in fact. In fact the Prophet, peace be upon him, taught us when we see something wrong that we should try to change it. He doesn’t say that when you see something wrong be patient and stay quiet about it, but rather 

“If you see something wrong, try to change it with your hand. If you cannot, speak out against it. And if you cannot, then at the very least feel that in your heart and this is the weakest level of Iman (faith).”

In this Hadith we are taught how we should respond when we see something wrong, when we see oppression, when we see abuse or when it’s happening to us. We should try to change it. It should not be something that we just accept and that means we are being good Muslims. In fact the Prophet has advised the opposite with regards to something wrong, with injustice or oppression.

In another Hadith the Prophet, peace be upon him, told his companions:

“Help your brother whether he is an oppressor or whether he is being oppressed.”

So in this Hadith the companions, like us, basically understood this Hadith and said we can understand how we help our brother when he is being oppressed- that’s very clear; we try to save his from that oppression. But, they asked, how do we help our brother when he is the oppressor?  The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: by stopping him from oppressing.

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/456927-patience-is-not-suffering-in-silence-part-1.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:21pm

Patience is Not Suffering in Silence (Part 2)

You were created to worship Allah (SWT), fear Him, not another person. That is extremely important to understand.

The real meaning of la illah illa Allah (there’s no God but Allah), along with that concept of tawheed is that Allah is at the centre of my life; at the centre of my thoughts, at the centre of my fears, at the centre of my hopes and at the centre of my love...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/457002-patience-is-not-suffering-in-silence-part-2.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:45pm
A Conversation with Sister Yasmin

A recent interview with sister Yasmin Mogahed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsHqtJrATkw

(37 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:00pm

Patience is Not Suffering in Silence (Part 3)

Trust God

So Allah here is saying that if you put your fear in Him, if Allah is what you are most conscious of, and you turn your whole self to Him, give it to Him, then Allah will make a way out for you and provide you from places you never imagine. And that is Tawakkul.

Like Prophet Moses, peace be upon him, when he was standing in front of the Red Sea he looked very trapped. He, with a group of slaves, had Pharaoh, at that time he was the superpower, and his army behind him and in front of him is the Red sea. How can anyone be more trapped than Prophet Moses was at that point?

None of us are more trapped than Moses was at that point. And yet he, Moses, did not lose his trust in Allah. He did not even flinch. He had complete faith and complete trust in Allah that Allah will take care of him and of those who were with him, and Allah would guide him through. And when the people around him, those with the weak faith, said to him we are going to be overtaken, we are doomed basically now, they were very scared because they saw this situation as hopeless as they were trapped, and yet Moses, peace be upon him, saw beyond that, beyond the illusion of being trapped, and instead saw Allah, exalted is He. He said to the people:

{(Moses) said: ‘By no means! My Lord is with me! Soon will He guide me!} (Ash-Shu’ara 26; 62)

What happened to Moses is that he was told by God to strike the sea and Allah split the sea in half and there was a path made for Moses and his companions and they went right through.

So think and reflect about this story and realize it’s not just a story. Anything that Allah (SWT) tells us in the Quran, any story that is told, is not just for us to entertain ourselves and to tell to our children before they sleep, but rather it is intended as a lesson for us. So that when we are put in a similar situation, yes we are not going to stand in front of the Red sea with Pharaoh behind us, but we will get put in some situations in our life where we feel trapped. And we will get put in situations in our lives where we see no way out and where it looks impossible. Absolutely you will be put in those situations. And so in those situations we are given inspiration from the story of Prophet Moses; how to break out of that situation and how we should respond in that situation...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/457093-patience-is-not-suffering-in-silence-part-3.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:31pm

Toward a Happy Married Life

A Successful Marriage: The Missing Link

We’ve all read this verse on countless marriage announcements. But how many have actualized it?

How many of our marriages really embody that love and mercy described by Allah?

What is going wrong when so many of our marriages are ending in divorce?

Unconditional Love

According to Dr. Emerson Eggerichs, author of Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs, the answer is simple.

In his book, Eggerichs explains that extensive research has found that a man’s primary need is for respect, while a woman’s primary need is for love. He describes what he calls the “crazy cycle”—the pattern of argumentation that results when the wife does not show respect and the husband does not show love. He explains how the two reinforce and cause one another. In other words, when a wife feels that her husband is acting unloving, she often reacts with disrespect, which in turn makes the husband act even more unloving.

Eggerichs argues that the solution to the “crazy cycle” is for the wife to show unconditional respect to her husband and for the husband to show unconditional love to his wife. This means that a wife should not say that first her husband must be loving before she will show him respect. By doing so, she will only bring about more unloving behavior. And a husband should not say that first his wife must be respectful before he will show her love. By doing so, he will only bring about more disrespectful behavior. The two must be unconditional...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/islam-day-to-day/family/457188-a-successful-marriage-the-missing-link.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 21 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version