Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Improving the Quality of Our Prayer Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Improving the Quality of Our Prayer
    Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:23pm
A nice video and text to help us improve the quality of our prayer

Losing concentration while praying is a problem we often face, and the purpose of this talk is to help us remain focused while praying in order to worship God with reverence as best as we can.

Praying is a spiritual journey that benefits our soul, and it is in our own best interest to make it as perfect as we can

The Spirit of Prayer - Part 1

A believer tries to prepare himself to worship correctly in reverence.

Therefore, he imagines that this life has ended, as it surely will, and that the Day of Judgment has arrived, as it surely will, and that he sees the sirat (a path in the hereafter that is thinner than a hair and sharper than a sword) in front of him. He pictures Paradise on his right inviting him with its everlasting luxury. Likewise, he pictures hell to the left of him, appearing with its everlasting torture.

After the above-mentioned, the believer thinks of the might of Allah, and the fears he has of this life and the hereafter as well as those of Heaven and Hell. Subsequently, his contemplation of these things eases his thoughts about them because God is greater than these things and greater than anything that ever occurred to any human mind. He (Allah) created everything from nothing with a word and He has the power to destroy everything with a word.

Hence, the believer raises his hands towards his ears as if to cast off the concerns of this life from his mind and he proclaims a statement from the depths of his heart, “Allahu akbar” (God is Greater).

With that, he stands before Allah...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/458023-the-spirit-of-prayer-part-1.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:59am
The second part of this talk deals with the first verses of Chapter 1 of the Quran (Al-Fatihah), and the importance of understanding its deep meanings in order to reach the stage of reverence to Allah, and obtain the maximum benefit out of the prayer.

Praying is a spiritual journey that benefits our soul, and it is in our own best interest to make it as perfect as we can

The Spirit of Prayer - Part 2

The second portion of the first verse reads “Rabbil ‘alameen” (The Lord of the worlds).

What does the word “Rabb” mean?

Its meaning does not imply a ruler or a king or even a master. The word “Rabb,” or Lord, entails rearing, educating, protecting, and nurturing. The “Rabb” is the one who carries out the job of raising someone or something. The word “Al-alameen,” (the worlds), is the plural of “‘Aalam” (world). Thus, He is the Sustainer and Creator. He is the One who developed and preserved the world of the Earth, stars, waters, Jinns, demons, angels, and all other worlds.

Therefore, imagine all these meanings when you read these four words, “Al-hamdulillahi rabb al-‘alameen” {Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds} (Al-Fathah 1: 2)

The next verse states “Arrahman Arraheem” {the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful} (3). He attributed mercy to Himself and repeated it because His mercy is recurring...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/first-steps/prayers/458089-the-spirit-of-prayer-part-2-exclusive-video.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2012 at 11:24pm
In this third and final part, Fadel Soliman continues to ponder on the meanings of the remaining verses from Chapter 1, and explains the following acts and pillars of Salah, and ends by how to conclude the prayer.

The Spirit of Prayer - Part 3

After praising Allah for His blessings, you acknowledge that He is the Lord of the worlds and the most merciful of the merciful ones. Likewise, you acknowledge the fact that He is the master of the Day of Reckoning and you dissociate Him from any partner (overt or covert). After doing all of the above and dedicating your worship solely to Him, Allah instructs you on how to ask Him for what benefits you. He combines all goodness for his servants in one phrase, “Assirat al-mustaqeem” (The Straight Path).

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/first-steps/prayers/458144-the-spirit-of-prayer-part-3-exclusive-video.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 December 2012 at 1:07pm

Come to Prayer! Come to Success!

We are truly in great need of continual good and the removal of hardships through a strong relationship with our Creator that makes life flow easily, peacefully, and blessedly.

Prayer guarantees all this to a believer. Along each day’s route, Islam designated five gracious pauses for God, distributed at specific times throughout the day, during which mankind is directed to meet their Lord, open their hearts, and speak their minds to Him, starting by praising Him and acknowledging His grandeur, followed by requesting His blessings and the averting of evils, asking for His help and seeking His contentment, and shoring up their deficient knowledge with His perfect knowledge and their inadequate power with His Supreme Power...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/growing-in-faith/460172-come-to-prayer-come-to-success-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:45pm
The Heart of Salaah

The acts of devotion God has prescribed for believers are meant to bring us closer to Him, to make our hearts attached to Him, and to get to know Him, and love Him.

The five daily prayers are not simply physical acts we perform, and words we say, but they are a means to strengthen our spiritual heart when we are faced with challenges.

In prayer, we direct our hearts towards the Divine, as explained by Sheikh Mokhtar Maghraoui on Peace TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgqQWuDBqs

(Part 1 - 11 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 July 2013 at 2:00am
The Gift of Prayer

A Friday speech by brother  Abdel Rahman Murphy in a series titled "The Gift of Prayer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRWH3SuFf2U

(23 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2015 at 1:24pm
The Life Changing Power of Prayer

When I embraced Islam, my biggest challenge was learning to pray.

Of course I had "prayed" before, as a Christian, but in Islam prayer means more--it is a ritual of submission involving body and mind.

I wanted to pray, but like everything else, I didn't know how to start...

A third major change when I started praying was becoming part of the Muslim community. By wearing a scarf, I met other Muslims on campus. By attending Friday prayers, I started to meet other Muslims at the mosque. I started attending educational programs, and when my parents kicked me out, through the mosque I found a Muslim roommate.

The five daily prayers are a kind of glue that holds the Muslim community together--at first it just gave me a reason to socialize with other Muslims, though eventually they became some of my closest friends...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/prayers/483989-the-life-changing-power-of-prayer.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2015 at 1:43am
Praying Like You Mean It

Some interesting tips and insight by Hussain Kamani to improve the quality of our prayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFNDcRvB7U

(10 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2015 at 2:58am

Prayer Makes Us Better (Part 2)

He doesn’t need our prayers or our praise and He certainly doesn’t need us to give up sweets in return for good health or a new job!

So what is prayer for? Why do we do it?

Let us just remind ourselves about some basics. If Allah didn’t need us at all, the only reason for His creating us must be something to do with it being for our own benefit, not His.

Just as the angels find their complete happiness in worshiping Him night and day (even though He is in no need of their worship or their praise), so we find our complete happiness in doing His will. That’s right, we are the ones who benefit from doing Allah’s will, not Him...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/prayers/484155-prayer-makes-us-better-part-2.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2015 at 7:00am

Muslim Prayer: The Spiritual Ritual (Folder)

We get up and make ablution and then find a quiet place to pray in peace.

We take ten minutes to remember our Creator and refocus our energy on what is really important and relax.

Relax our hearts, our minds, and our souls.

Prayer lifts a person spiritually towards his or her Creator and if it is done with devotion and sincerity, his or her heart will be filled with the love of God and the hope of Paradise.

So how do we recharge our spiritual batteries?

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/in-focus/484471-muslim-prayer-the-spiritual-ritual-folder-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2015 at 2:44am
Prayer Makes Us Better (Part 3)

At its most basic, prayer can be described as “talking to God.”

When that talking stops, it is little wonder that our Islam very soon begins to weaken. The almost inevitable result of not praying is that we lose our faith altogether.

Perhaps this is why Allah Almighty has required of all Muslims that they pray five times a day. Within Islam there is a built in safeguard to stop us drifting away...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/prayers/485007-prayer-makes-us-better-part-3.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 12:20am

Presence of the Heart in Prayer

Why do Muslims pray?

What does the worshiper say to God when one prays?

What are the spiritual effects of prayer?

Shaykh Muhammad An-Ninowy explains to us the importance of prayer and all that it entails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ogmyPX9iE

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:35am
Prayer Makes Us Better (Part 4)

Prayer is more than a ritual. It is more than a routine obligation required of us.

Prayer, in fact, is like the very air we breathe. Without it our lives become dry and lose their meaning...

In Ramadan, though, Allah Almighty is waiting for us. He isn’t trying to sell us jeans. He is not waiting to say that He has been waiting for us all day. He is, in fact, waiting to tell us that He has been waiting for us all our lives to come back to Him. All we have to do is respond to His welcome.

Ramadan is a time for us all to come back to Allah, whether we last spoke to Him at Fajr or we last spoke to Him twenty years ago. It is a time to forget the past, to lay ourselves completely before Him and to ask for His help...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/prayers/486543-prayer-makes-us-better-part-4.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2015 at 3:23pm

Taking Back the Sweetness of Our Prayers

Prayer is the first pillar mentioned right after the testimony of belief. It defines us. Its quality shapes us. We know the first item that will be opened and examined on the Day of Judgment will be our book of prayers. Allah mentioned in the Quran:

{And perform Salah. Verily, Salah prevents from lewdness and evils.} (29:45)

If we can keep our prayers good, everything else will be good.

This is exactly why Satan tries to attack our prayers, and why we have to rid the habit of not concentrating from our selves, especially before the month of Ramadan comes in, when we normally increase in the amount of prayers we do.

1. The first thing to keep in mind is: Salah is very enjoyable. It is Satan who makes us feel like it’s a burden, and those who accept his definitions become heedless and lazy...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/fasting/452994-taking-back-the-sweetness-of-our-prayers-3.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version