Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Improving the Quality of Our Prayer Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 June 2015 at 4:43am
Reconnecting with Allah Through Prayer

A talk by sister Maryam on how to reconnect with Allah this Ramadan through better quality prayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=netPZqm8uVM

(27 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2015 at 4:37am

Your Salah is Your Oxygen

After establishing belief, the salah is the next thing that the soul needs to remain healthy and the iman high.

If shahadah is the heart beat of your iman, then salah is the oxygen that keeps the heart beat going, that keeps your connection with Allah strong.

Basic Needs of the Soul

Yasmin Mogahed said in a speech entitled “Keeping the Torch Lit” that, “you never say you don't have time to breathe”.

This is the kind of attitude that we need to have about prayer. It is a basic need of iman and therefore the health of our soul.

Just like when we breathe, we inhale what our body needs and exhale what it doesn't need, in prayer, we are taking in what is good and removing what is bad from our souls.

In prayer, we praise Allah. We ask for guidance and steadfastness. We remind ourselves that Allah knows our deeds and that we will be held to account by Him. And with that we take in the good...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/prayers/489295-your-salah-prayer-is-your-oxygen.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2016 at 3:32pm

How to Achieve Spirituality in Prayer?

When making takbir (pronouncing the phrase Allahu Akbar to begin the Prayer), your heart must be inundated with the meaning of the takbir. You should feel in your heart that nothing whatsoever is greater than Allah.

Reciting the Quran in the Prayer

People fall into three categories when it comes to Quran recitation:

(a) those who move their tongues unconsciously

(b) those who are conscious of the movement of tongue, understand the meaning while listening as if to a person outside themselves; this is the degree of ‘those on the right

(c) those who start from awareness of the meaning, then use the tongue to give expression to this inner consciousness.

Bowing

Bowing (ruku’) indicates a renewed affirmation of your awareness of the supreme greatness of Allah. In bowing you confirm your submissiveness and humility, striving to refine your inner feelings through a fresh awareness of your own impotence and insignificance before the might and grandeur of your Lord.

To confirm this, you seek the aid of your tongue, glorifying Allah and testifying repeatedly to His Supreme Majesty.

Then you rise from bowing, hopeful that He will be merciful towards you. To emphasize this hope within you, you say: “Allah hears those who give thanks to Him.”

Acknowledging the need to express gratitude, you immediately add: “Grateful praise to You our Lord!”

Prostration

Then you go down into prostration. This is the utmost point of submission, for when you prostrate, you bring the noblest part of your body–your face–down to meet the lowliest of all things, the dust of the earth...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/achieve-spirituality-prayer/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2016 at 3:02pm

Show Your Gratitude Through Worship

One of the fundamental components of a person’s relationship with Allah is worship.

As one’s heart is filled with gratitude to one’s benefactor, one expresses indebtedness, humility, and surrender to him...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/show-gratitude-worship/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:48pm
Renewing Prayer (Part1) - Shaykh Yahya Rhodus

This talk was delivered at the Akram Jomaa Islamic Centre in Calgary, Alberta, as part of the Time for Renewal - Western Canada Tour, April 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcJU8LwZWs

(30 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:15am
5 Practical Steps to Maintain Focus in Prayer

For the mind, body, and soul to be attentive and focused in prayer, there are practical steps a person could perform- some before the prayer. Waiting to focus when the prayer has already started will prove to be ineffective.

1. Experience the Wudu (Ablution)

Water is the origin of life. It rejuvenates the body and soul. An ablution before prayer calms the muscles in the body and refreshes it. This makes the person focus better on what’s coming up next.

Ablution also has a spiritual side...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/finding-peace/remembering-allah/5-practical-steps-to-maintain-focus-in-prayer/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:40am
Q&A: How to Avoid Lack of Concentration in Prayers?

when Muslims stand before Almighty Allah in prayer, they should remember that Satan is present and ready to distract them from their prayers.

In this case, Muslims should remember Almighty Allah and humbly contemplate the meanings of the Qur’an and the exaltations and glorifications they say during the different stages of prayer.

If Muslims train themselves to do this time after time, they will be able to avoid these satanic distractions. But if they cannot do this, they will deviate from the spiritual pleasure of the prayer and turn it to a mechanical exercise that does not uplift their souls or affect their feelings.

It is worth mentioning also that it is a natural characteristic in humans that they cannot focus their attention on more than one thing at a time, and that if people’s senses are directed towards certain points in the place, one’s concentration will focus thereon, without being distracted elsewhere.

Therefore, scholars who have tried hard to resist distraction during prayer and proved successful in this regard advise that when in prayer, Muslims should look at the place of prostration while standing in prayer...

http://www.aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-the-scholar/acts-of-worship/avoid-lack-concentration-prayers/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2017 at 5:38am
Keys to Presence in Prayer

Ustadh Amjad gives us some key tips on how to prepare oneself for presence in prayer from Imam Ghazali's Ihya.

He also highlights some causes of distraction that we should avoid during prayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3ZLQop4eE

(7 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2017 at 6:21am
Prayer - Renewing Religion: An Overview of Ghazali's Ihya

Ustadh Amjad Tarsin reviews the chapter on prayer from the Ihya Ulum al-Din (Renewing the Religious Sciences), the fourth chapter.

Imam Al-Ghazali emphasized the importance of both the outward and inward in prayer.

This condition is in line with the purpose of prayer and that is remembrance of Allah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTV2dSmHeQQ

(22 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 June 2017 at 1:32pm
Spiritual Presence In Prayer

Reflections by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vi-RFzfhMs

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 July 2017 at 6:59am
How Does Prayer Make the Best Change?

In life, generally, we’re very good at asking for things, but not so good at saying thank you when we get what we want.

The same is true in our dealings with Allah.

Not having given Him a thought, we turn to Allah as soon as we want something. Maybe an exam is drawing close or there is a bill to be paid or we are going for a job interview. It is then that we pray with all our hearts, offering anything to please Allah.

We tell Him that we’ll give up smoking or that we will never look at certain sites on the internet again if only we can get what we are asking for.

When we do get what we want our thanks is brief and we soon go back to what we promised to stop doing.

The problem is that most of the time, most of us look at Allah as some kind of Santa Claus who will give us gifts when we ask for them. Being childlike and trusting in prayer is one thing, but often our attitudes are not childlike, but childish.

Surely we all know that Allah Almighty is the creator “of the heavens and the earth and everything in between.” He doesn’t need our prayers or our praise and He certainly doesn’t need us to give up sweets in return for good health or a new job!

So what is prayer for? Why do we do it? ...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/finding-peace/remembering-allah/how-does-prayer-make-the-best-change/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:09am
Beyond Hope and Fear: Learning to Love Prayers

With regards to fear, our master and Prophet, based on his incomparable knowledge of Allah and spiritual reality, said, “Truly, I am the most God-fearing among you,” despite his unparalleled scrupulousness and him being granted Allah’s utmost love and satisfaction.

That is not all of it. In fact, as believers, the essence of faith should not be based solely on fear.

It is a stage, an element, a function maybe central for many, including myself, in our path to Allah; seeing the nature of our egos, psyches, and worldliness. The human soul is created with basic fear and it should be dealt with and used to straighten it in order for one to traverse to Allah.

Hope Should Outweigh Fear

Having said that, still, hope should always outweigh fear.

First, as Imam Al-Ghazali mentions, continuous dependence on fear undoubtedly leads to despair. At any stage, one should have a little more hope than fear.

Works based on hope are so much better than ones based on fear...

http://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-islam/beyond-hope-fear-learning-love-prayers

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2017 at 9:28am
How Can I Improve Focus and Spirituality During Prayer?

Many Muslims are aware they could pray in a better manner so you are not alone in your concerns. The point, as you say, is what can be done about it?

Prayer Is A Relationship

Prayer in Islam is a pillar of the religion, not a ‘ritual’ as many people seem to think. It is the establishment of a close and special relationship with our Creator, Allah.

Of course, the prerequisite for prayer is purity. This applies to clothes and to ablution, which are the requirements for physical cleanliness.

Then comes the intention, which is the requirement for spiritual cleanliness and purity.

When one stands up in prayer, one begins with ‘Allahu Akbar’ (God is Great), raising one’s hands (at least shoulder-high), facing the Ka’aba (the direction for Muslims to pray) and entering the state of prayer.

It is as if we are saying goodbye to the physical world and ‘entering’ the spiritual world, dwelling in the presence of Allah.

It is as if we are entering into the Court of the Greatest Authority, King of Kings and Lord of the universe...

http://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-islam/increase-focus-prayers/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 August 2017 at 2:52pm
How I Came to Love the Prayer as a Muslim

(Convert Experience)

As Muslims we lead our life to a pre-determined routine, ordained by Allah and that revolves around our Salah (ritual Prayer). We awake with the birds, before dawn to offer our Fajr prayers (Dawn Prayer); we sleep only after offering our Isha prayer (Night Prayer).

We take breaks from work or study to offer Zuhr prayer (Noon Prayer) and Asr prayer (Afternoon Prayer). And at sunset we hasten so that we do not delay our Maghrib prayers (Sunset Prayer) we must pray before twilight fades away! Our purpose in life is to worship our Creator and to sing His praises and Salah is what He recommends.

Today after so many years of praying it seems easy – almost second nature, but there were times when I found it tough...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/finding-peace/remembering-allah/how-i-came-to-love-the-prayer-as-a-muslim/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version