Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion  
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:40am

Florida Muslims Fight Hate with Humor

FLORIDA –Addressing online Islamophobia and discrimination in a humorous way, a group of American Muslims shot a video that ridicules anti-Muslim Facebook comments about a fire in an Islamic centre in Florida.

“My friend Ahmad and I were reading it and we were cracking up it was hilarious," Nicolas Armero, one of the video producers, told ABC Action News on Thursday, May 7.

"As disturbing as it is these comments are kind of funny because these people are so detracted from reality."

Armero is a member of a Muslim group that decided to fight injustice and discrimination by a peaceful massage.

Titled "Muslims Read Hate Comment", the video features the reactions of Muslim youth on Islamophobic comments following the arson attack on the daycare section of the Islamic Society of Tampa...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/485739-florida-muslims-humor-fights-hate.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:05am

ISNA Holds Mosque Open House

(Plainfield, IN 5/19/15) Last Saturday, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) held a mosque open house at its national headquarters in Plainfield, Indiana.

The open house gave an opportunity for people from other faiths and traditions to visit a mosque and learn more about Islam. It featured several informative displays, a booth for visitors to have their names written in Arabic calligraphy and the ISNA history gallery.

Visitors also had an opportunity to observe one of the five daily prayers that Muslims perform each day...

http://www.isna.net/isna-holds-mosque-open-house.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:43am
Florida Imam Promotes Understanding

FLORIDA – Moving from a state to another, a Daytona Beach, Florida, imam has been traveling across America to extend new bridges, reach out to diverse communities, and to dispel misconception about Islam.

“I believe our religion has been hijacked by terrorists and people who misinterpret the religion,” Islamic Center of Daytona Beach imam, Belal Shemman, told the Daytona Beach News Journal on Friday, May 15.

“I believe the media is not helping Muslims at all.”

Coming to Daytona Beach in 2013, Shemman has fostered multicultural understanding in Florida's Volusia County over the past two years...

Preaching Islamic values, the 26-year-old imam said that people should seek credible sources to know more about religion like talking to a Catholic priest about Catholicism or an imam about Islam.

Shemman's efforts to promote integration have been hailed by Muslim leaders in Daytona Beach, including Islamic Center president Hassan Saboungi.

Saboungi stated that the imam has “done a great job of opening up Islam to the non-Muslims. We did it before, but he's taken it to a much greater level...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/486091-florida-imam-promotes-understanding.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:41am

ICNA Convention: Muslims Volunteer, Dispel Myths

Returning to Baltimore for America’s largest Islamic convention, Muslim volunteers are working hard to offer support to elderly and homeless families in riot-torn blocks, in a bid to dispel misconceptions about Islam and Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

"We do this because we are Muslim," Karim Amin, president of the Muslim Social Services Agency of Baltimore, or MSSA, a social services organization that focuses on urban areas, told Baltimore Sun.

"I'm hoping doing these services will dispel myths."

Amin’s organization was cooperating with transitional housing network for ICNA Relief USA, in efforts led by the network’s national director Malika MacDonald.

MacDonald’s visit to Baltimore is not the first.

The Muslim activist came to the same state one month ago to offer help and distribute food and hygiene goods to elderly residents living on riot-torn blocks...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/486501-icna-convention-muslims-volunteer-dispel-myths.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2015 at 4:51pm

Imam’s Logic Defeats Radicalization

VIRGINIA – Offering a role model to Islamic preachers and scholars, Imam Mohamed Magid, the chief imam at the third-largest mosque in America, managed to dissuade many young Muslims who were planning to join fight in the Middle East by using logic and correcting their misinterpretation of Islam...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/486977-imams-logic-defeats-radicalization.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 June 2015 at 3:25pm

American Muslim Nurses Dispel Misconceptions

WASHINGTON – Dealing with patients from different cultural and religious backgrounds, American Muslim nurses have been regarded as a forefront in correcting Islam image and dispelling misconceptions despite increasing anti-Muslim sentiments.

"It's using the faith to help me navigate those issues. I want to create a good outcome," Naj Bazzy, R.N., a Detroit clinical transcultural nurse, told Nurse.com.

"I'm a patient advocate. But my faith is what informs all of that. Being Muslim is what makes me the best nurse I can be."

Amid increasing negative stereotypes, negative portrayal of Muslims can complicate the medical field, according to Arshia Wajid, founder and president of American Muslim Health Professionals and a consultant at Huron Consulting.

Bazzy is one of the nurses who have been facing troubles in their work from patients who refuse their care after noticing their veil.

Aisha Hasan-Rasool is another Muslim nurse who wears long sleeves under her lab coat and a headscarf.

When patients ask where she’s from, “I tell them Buffalo, New York,” said Hasan-Rasool, RN, WHNP-BC.

Hasan-Rasool is a nurse practitioner at a small women’s health clinic in Duluth, Georgia.

“I haven’t ever had anybody say anything offensive,” she said.

“There are people who have different opinions and beliefs from me on a lot of things. I have to approach them wherever they are, not imposing my outlook on anybody.”...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/487391-american-muslim-nurses-dispel-misconceptions.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 June 2015 at 4:29pm

US Muslims Calls for Charleston 'Day of Prayer'

WASHINGTON – Leaders of Baltimore Muslim community have called for a Ramadan 'Day of Prayer' for Healing after Charleston Massacre "Day of Prayer" today to seek peace and healing in the aftermath of Wednesday's massacre of nine people at a Charleston church.

"As Muslims across America observe the month of Ramadan, we urge communities to reflect on the need to defeat hatred with tolerance, to seek justice for those murdered and to pray for peace and healing for grieving families and communities," Zainab Chaudry, outreach manager of Maryland chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said in a statement obtained by OnIslam...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/487835-us-muslims-calls-for-charleston-day-of-prayer.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 June 2015 at 4:52pm

US Companies Accommodate Muslims’ Ramadan

Accommodating the religious needs of Muslims employees, a growing number of American companies are holding annual events to celebrate the holy fasting month of Ramadan with a spiritual flavor.

“It is an extremely popular event, with the 300 spots being filled within four hours of opening registration,” Todd Alhart, GE Global Research’s director of media relations, told The Washington Post.

Alhart was talking about the 13th annual multicultural Ramadan celebration that was hosted by GE Global Research earlier this month for both Muslim and non-Muslim employees and their families.

This year’s celebration included a slideshow of Ramadan and `Eid al-Fitr commemorations, and a Pakistani and Mediterranean buffet dinner...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/487895-us-companies-accommodate-muslims-ramadan.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 July 2015 at 9:22am

Florida Billboards Dispel Islam Misconceptions

FLORIDA – Presenting the true message of Islam, a new billboard campaign has been launched in Florida’s most populous city of Jacksonville to correct misconception surrounding the faith and offer reliable answers to those seeking more information about Islam.

"Mostly they call about, if they have questions, they want to visit the Islamic center, they want to meet with the Muslims, they want to get a free copy of the Qur'an, or any other Islamic literature. Just to visit the Islamic center," Mohammad Ilyas the regional president of the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) told News4Jax on Sunday, July 12.

Launched by ICNA, the national campaign erected three Islamic billboards bearing #Who is Muhammad? throughout Jacksonville to raise awareness about Islam.

Reaching out to more than 500 thousand per week, the campaign aims to answer questions about the faith through its hotline.

According to Ilyas, ICNA volunteers have received thousands of calls since the erection of the billboards last month...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/489807-florida-billboards-dispel-islam-misconceptions.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2015 at 3:32pm

Orlando Airport Accommodates Muslims

FLORIDA – Accommodating Muslim travelers, a Florida international airport announced plans to build a prayer room for Muslims, as the flights to United Arab Emirates will start next month.

"Orlando is truly becoming a global community, and we want to be able to accommodate and provide high-quality amenities for all our passengers," airport Director Phil Brown said in a written statement to the Orlando Sentinel.

With a cost of $250,000, a reflection room will be built at Orlando International airport where Muslim travelers used to pray in public or in restrooms.

Muslim travelers also used to pray in a nondenominational chapel tucked away on Airside B...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/491669-orlando-airport-accommodates-muslims.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2015 at 11:40pm

#WhoIsMuhammad Billboards In Bay Area, Across U.S. Aim To Raise Awareness About Islam

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A roadside campaign to raise awareness about Islam has arrived to Bay Area billboards.

It is part of a nationwide push to dispel myths about Muslim Americans called #WhoisMuhammad launched by The Islamic Circle of North America, an American Muslim organization based in New York....

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/whoismuhammad-billboard-muslims-campaign-in-bay-area-across-u-s-aims-to-raise-awareness-about-islam/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 2:48am
President Obama's Message to the ISNA Convention in Chicago

President Obama recorded this message for the opening of the 52nd ISNA Annual Convention which took place last week in Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFfSiuPvoHI

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 October 2015 at 1:49pm

Chicago Mosques Welcome Non-Muslim Visitors

A leading Chicago Muslim organization has announced plans for hosting open day next Sunday in several mosques around the city, offering answers to anyone curious to learn about Islam.

"It gives individuals who may not know a Muslim or have never been inside a mosque a chance to become familiar with what goes on," Tabassum Haleem, executive director of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, told the Daily Herald.

The mosques which will open their doors on Sunday, October 4, include mosques in Naperville, Wheaton, Des Plaines and Libertyville

Some of the mosques, or worship centers, have hosted open houses in the past, but this is the first year the council has helped coordinate Open Mosque Day, a larger, more unified effort to invite non-Muslims into mosques.

"I have often heard that neighbors and anyone who is interested in visiting a mosque, they wait for an invitation. They don't feel comfortable picking up the phone and asking the mosque for a visit," Haleem said.

"Anyone who ever wanted to ask questions, just mingle with Muslims that come to the mosque, this is a great opportunity."

Mosques in Northbrook, Morton Grove and Chicago will also open their doors to guests who are welcome during the opened hours.

Those visitors, Muslims and non-Muslims, will be greeted by volunteers who will offer short tours of the mosques, which vary in size and grandeur...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/494581-chicago-mosques-welcome-non-muslim-visitors.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 October 2015 at 9:52am

NY Islamic Center Seeks Common Ground

LONG ISLAND – Offering a common ground for interfaith unity, the Islamic Center of Long Island in New York has inaugurated the first interfaith institute in the region, where followers of different faiths can foster a better understanding.

“I need to understand better the tenets of other faiths,” Dr. Faroque Khan, a medical doctor and co-founder of the mosque, was quoted as saying by Long Island Press.

“Similarly, the other faiths need to understand and learn about who we are, particularly in the present environment where the loudest voices are the craziest voices. We need to bring that voice of reason, sanity into the conversation,” he said...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/495731-ny-islamic-center-seeks-common-ground.html

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 15 January 2016 at 2:24am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version