Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2016 at 12:02am

Ad Takes on Islamophobia in America

An American crackers company has taken on Islamophobia in its latest wholesome ad campaign, shining a spotlight on cultural diversity and acceptance at a hard time for Muslims in America.

“We are watching society change over time, because we think it is important to be reflective of today’s world, and to be inclusive of a cross-section of those unique families that make up the American society,” Katrina Plummer, equity brand manager for Honey Maid, told AdWeek on Monday, April 4.

“Honey Maid is acknowledging the changing family dynamic among our consumers and are excited about the opportunity for ‘This Is Wholesome’ to feature and celebrate real diverse families.”

Released Monday, the graham cracker brand’s latest “This Is Wholesome” campaign ad features a Muslim woman who’s getting to know her neighbors...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/ad-takes-islamophobia-america/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2016 at 2:51pm

Muslim Students Offer Donuts to Encourage Dialogue

ROCHESTER – Muslim students at Oakland University have offered free donuts and chocolates to encourage their colleagues to ask any questions they might have about their faith.

“We started with donuts, but so many people came that we ran out,” Muslim Student Association President Sumayya Master, told USA Today on Monday, April 11.

“Sometimes people are shy, but we thought if there was food they’d come — and they did.”

The event, “Ask a Muslim,” was held at Oakland University’s South Foundation Hall in Rochester, Michigan, late last week.

“With everything going on in the world and the way Muslims are being portrayed in the media, especially, we feel as if it’s our job as Muslim-Americans to help people understand who we truly are and what our religion truly means,” said Master...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-student-offer-donuts-encourage-dialogue/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2016 at 2:37pm

Islam Aims for Peace: Morgan Freeman

American Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman has said that Islam aims for peace, adding that reports of Islamic extremism by “a tiny percentage of Muslims” do not reflect the mindset of the majority of Muslims.

“Meeting Muslims face to face, I’ve learned that Islam aims for people to live in peace,” Freeman remarked during second episode of National Geographic’s “The Story of God”, NewsBusters reported on Tuesday, April 12...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/islam-aims-peace-morgan-freeman/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2016 at 2:43pm

Muslim Named Univ. of Michigan Student of the Year

A young Muslim aspiring surgeon student has been named student of the year in the University of Michigan, offering a role model to Muslim and Arab students in America.

“That was completely unexpected,” Nadine Jawad, who studies to be a surgeon, told The Arab American News.

“Typically it’s seniors or people —I feel— are more qualified or esteemed than me. It was incredible that they considered and chose me.”

The news were made public earlier this month by the campus newspaper the Michigan Daily...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-named-univ-michigan-student-year/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2016 at 2:54am

Michigan University Hijab Day

The Muslim Student Association let students walk in another’s shoes- or rather, headscarves, Tuesday.

http://thedmonline.com/online-muslim-students-share-experiences-raise-hijab-awareness-draft/

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 24 April 2016 at 4:05am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2016 at 4:07am

Framingham mosque hosts 'Meeting Your Muslim Neighbors' day

For many of the non-Muslims standing in the room, it was a moment of religious fervor that resonated beyond the boundaries of any one faith, demonstrating the beauty many find in an expression of spiritual belief.

Members of the Framingham mosque welcomed guests of all types at an open house Saturday, hoping to help their friends and neighbors better understand their traditions. Balloons waved in the wind as members of the mosque invited those strolling by downtown to tour the building and learn more about their customs.

Dubbed a “Meet Your Muslim Neighbors” day, the event was sponsored by The Islamic Society of Framingham and organized by youth who attend the mosque.

At a time when Muslims face turmoil both abroad and in the United States, members of the group want to strengthen their bonds in MetroWest and quell any fears non-Muslims have about their religion, said Fareed Siddiqui, president of the society’s board of directors...

http://framingham.wickedlocal.com/news/20160423/framingham-mosque-hosts-meeting-your-muslim-neighbors-day

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:41pm

600 Attend Muslim Day at California Capitol

Hundreds of American Muslims gathered in Sacramento on Monday to mark the annual “Muslim Day at the Capitol,” to meet with state legislators and discuss issues of concern.

“This is absolutely important in our community,” Hanif Mohebi, executive director of the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), told San Diego Union Tribune.

“It shows the growth in our community and our growth in civic engagement.”

The event, hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations’ California office, attracted 600 people from across the state, including 60 from CAIR’s San Diego chapter.

The number reflects a huge increase from the first event in 2011 which attracted only 70 people...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/600-attend-muslim-day-california-capitol/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 April 2016 at 7:57am

Muslims Fight Hunger in Alabama

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama – In a bid to change the wrong narrative on Islam, American Muslim groups will join hands later this week to help the needy in Alabama, volunteering for National Soup Kitchen Day.

“Fighting Islamophobia by words is not as good as doing it by deeds,” Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told Alabama.comon Wednesday, April 27.

“We want to show the true spirit of Islam by taking care of those in need.”

The soup kitchen comes in the middle of increasing anti-Muslim narrative, associated with both presidential elections and extremist attacks.

Trying to correct misconceptions, the Birmingham Islamic Society has hosted free clinics in which its doctors and nurses provided health services...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslims-fight-hunger-alabama/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:21am
California high school selects Muslim student as prom queen

A California Muslim student, who lives a few miles from the site of the deadly San Bernardino shooting, received the symbol of teenage acceptance after she was crowned prom queen at Fontana's Summit High School.

The Muslim prom queen attributed her victory to her non-Muslim friends who campaigned for her by wearing hijabs.

The 17-year Muslim prom queen, Zarifeh Shalabi, told The New York Times that her win is a symbol of teenage acceptance because she was able to prove that not all Muslims are "something to worry about."

She also added that she was elected because her fellow students see her as a friend and not as a threat.

The Muslim prom queen admitted that when she found out that her non-Muslim friends nominated her for prom queen, she was still concerned about getting permission to participate in the event from her family...

http://www.arabamericannews.com/news/news/id_12169/California-high-school-selects-Muslim-student-as-prom-queen.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2016 at 3:09pm

Muslim Doctor Brings Detroit Health Care to Life

Described as a rising star in the study of how social factors affect public health, a Detroit Muslim doctor has decided to come home, offering health care to the poorest big city in America.

“I think I want to be the health commissioner for Detroit,” Dr. Abdul El-Sayed told a mentor in New York, STAT News reported.

The decision to come home came last summer when the 31-year-old university professor and former Rhodes scholar was in New York.

Having already earned a doctorate in public health at Oxford and a medical degree at Columbia, he was tired of simply studying public health problems and wanted to help solve them

Choosing Detroit, the poorest major city in America, the task was not easy for the young doctor, who is born to Egyptian Muslim immigrants.

The biggest issues for Detroit’s health department are tied to poverty as 4 out of 10 residents live below the poverty line, suffering decades of neglect.

Infant mortality is higher here than in any other major American city, and higher than in some foreign countries, including Mexico.

Nearly 4 out of 10 Detroit adults are obese. The rate of asthma hospitalizations in the city is more than three times higher than the state average.

“The hard thing about a turnaround is, there’s no launch date, right? You already launched a long time ago,” El-Sayed told STAT during an interview in his Detroit office.

“You have to keep and improve, even, the quality of city services even as you are fundamentally [shifting] the gears inside the machine.”

The move was appreciated by many Detroit residents and officials...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-doctor-brings-detroit-health-care-life/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2016 at 3:41am
Misconceptions About Women of Islam Explained at Connecticut Church

n the second in a series of three talks designed to help people understand Muslims and Islam better, Aida Mansoor, President of the Muslim Coalition of Connecticut took aim at some of the common misconceptions about the women of Islam.

The series, An Invitation to be a Peacemaker:Getting to Know your Muslim Neighbors, is hosted by The Congregational Church in South Glastonbury.

Many of the misconceptions about Muslim women, Mansoor said, are due to confusion with cultural or political customs or practices in other countries or regions of the world, but not because of, or part of, Islam. Often, she said, myths (as opposed to facts) about Islamic oppression of women are used to suppress feminism...

http://www.courant.com/community/glastonbury/hc-gr-glastonbury-women-of-islam-0512-20160504-story.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:34am

US Muslim Woman Wins Maryland Board of Education Primary Election

MARYLAND – A young American Muslim woman has won primary election in the US state of Maryland, the victory seen significant amid increasing anti-Muslim rhetoric in the US.

“If Trump’s views were a true reflection of Americans beliefs, I would not have won this election decisively. My district has around 56,000 voters and Muslims are less than one per cent of that,” Raheela Ahmed, 22-year-old Indian-American Muslim, told Press Trust of India on Friday, April 29.

“Trump can make outrageous and offensive statements for political reasons, but I am a strong believer that America’s diversity is our strength,” Raheela said, who attributed her win to America’s diversity.

In Tuesday’s election, Ahmed received 9,624 votes against incumbent Jeana Jacob (6,004 votes) in the Board of Education District 5 primary elections...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/us-muslim-woman-wins-maryland-primary-election/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:35am
Got Questions? 150 Visitors Ask a Muslim at Mosque Open Day

If the 150 plus visitors at the Muslim Association of Bolingbrook Open Mosque Day are any indication, area residents are happy to take their Muslim neighbors up on the invite. Not even the heavy rains that day kept them at bay.

Besides board members from the Muslim Association of Bolingbrook and Islamic Center of Naperville (ICN), who were on hand to answer questions, there were posters on Islam, Arabic Calligraphy demonstrations and the option to have henna done.

The event began with a Mosque Tour and the 'Adhaan', or call to prayer, by Imam Mostafa Muftah, the Imam of the Bolingbrook Mosque.

Two Cub Scouts from Naperville's Pack 99 within the Indian Prairie District, also registered with the Three Fires Council, demonstrated the call to prayer using sign language, to accommodate those with hearing disabilities. Attendees were briefed on different parts of the call to prayer and given a translation.

"We're very family-centric and want to bring the community together. We strive to serve," said Aadil Farid, Islamic Center of Naperville Board Member and attendee.

Removing their shoes, visitors next entered the prayer area to view the ten-minute-long midday prayer service. The program also included Imam Mostafa's recitation of verses from Chapter 3 of the Qur'an, on the elevated status of Mary and Jesus in Islam. This too was translated from the Arabic, by a young community member.

"I'd never been to a mosque before, and this has been a good opportunity to learn more about what goes on here," said Greg Krabbenhoft, of Bolingbrook.

"They really want us to understand more about their religion and their culture. It's been eye-opening to learn things you just don't see about Muslims as portrayed in the media." Krabbenhoft and his daughter attended the open house because he is studying different religions in an adult education class at his Lutheran church...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/bolingbrook-plainfield/community/chi-ugc-article-got-questions-150-visitors-ask-a-muslim-at-m-2016-05-06-story.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:04am

US Largest Islamic Center Counters Islamophobia

MARYLAND – As America’s divisive election campaign continues to fuel Islamophobia, hopes are riding high on the inauguration of Maryland’s new Islamic center and its ability to help win over Americans’ trust.

“Christians in general don’t know a lot of Muslims personally,” Nabill Abdulle, 24, told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Thursday, May 19.

“It’s just a lack of understanding.” ...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/us-largest-islamic-center-counters-islamophobia/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version