Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2017 at 1:20am
Somali-American Elected to a Minnesota School Board

HOPKINS, Minnesota – A Muslim woman has been elected to Hopkins school board, becoming the first Somali-American woman to be elected to this board and the second to be elected to public office.

“It shows our district is ready to move forward,” Fartun Ahmed said, commenting on the huge number of people who voted on the school board, Lakeshore Weekly News reported.

“It shows our district is open to connecting and engaging with someone despite the differences they may have,” she added.

Ahmed was elected last November 7 as part of a bloc with Chris LaTondresse and Jen Westmoreland-Bouchard.

The bloc won the three seats in a huge turnout nearly double that of two years ago...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/somali-american-elected-minnesota-school-board/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 November 2017 at 3:28am
Penn. Commission for Women Gets First Muslim Member

PHILADELPHIA – Salima Suswell has made history in Pennsylvania, becoming the first Muslim member to serve in the state’s Commission for Women.

“I’m grateful. I feel like it’s a great time to have a Muslim woman, particularly an African-American Muslim woman, in a leadership role that affects change for women and girls in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,” said Suswell, the CEO of Evolve Solutions, The Philadelphia Tribune reported Wednesday...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/penn-commission-women-gets-first-muslim-member/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:16pm
US Umbrella Islamic Group Hosts Coat Drive

NEW YORK – A North America umbrella Islamic group has hosted a coat drive earlier this month to offer some warmth to Long Island needy and homeless.

Shahid Farooqi, the Islamic Circle of North America Relief (ICNA) relief director of expansion, organized the event to coincide with Thanksgiving.

“Now’s the best time to share whatever you have,” he told Long Island Herald.

Organizing the event, ICNA teamed up with Muslim Youth of Long Island and Nassau County Legislator Carrié Solages.

To set up the drive, Farooqi set up donation boxes at various mosques. He said that it is an Islamic ideal to share with your neighbor.

“The Messenger of God, Muhammed (peace and blessings be upon him), says: He is not a believer who eats his fill while his neighbor beside him goes hungry,” Farooqi explained in an email to the Herald.

According to Solages, more than 200 people attended to receive comforters, coats, gloves, hats, backpacks and warm pre-packaged food...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/us-umbrella-islamic-group-hosts-coat-drive/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 November 2017 at 3:14pm
Houston Muslims Meet Neighbors, Break Barriers

HOUSTON – Houston Muslim community invited their neighbors to meet them, ask questions and clear misconception about their faith.

“Muslims are hosting this event for our neighbors to provide them with an opportunity to get to know the Muslim community and Learn about Islam,” Sultan Salahuddin of ICNA (Islamic Council of North America) Houston, told ABC13.

The “Meet Your Muslim” was held on Saturday as part of the ongoing event hosted by ICNA in Houston, which runs from 24-26 November.

Visitors were invited to share lunch as well as get free henna designs, face painting and attend an Islamic art exhibition...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/houston-muslims-meet-neighbors-break-barriers/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2017 at 5:21am
Muslim Doctors Volunteer to Work on Christmas

TORONTO – Every Christmas, Dr. Firas Al-Rawi volunteers to work on December 25 to give his Christian colleagues a chance to enjoy the holiday with their families.

“We all cover shifts for one another … we take care of each other,” Dr. Firas Al-Rawi, a Muslim emergency room physician who will be working on Christmas, told The Record.

“It’s relatively easy to get coverage for religious holidays. Working on Christmas is like our gift to the Christians,” he added.

Al-Rawi is not the only non-Christian doctor who volunteered to work during the holiday.

“The majority of doctors working on Christmas are not Christians,” says Dr. Joel Lexchin, a Jewish emergency room physician in downtown Toronto who will be working on the holiday.

“And it’s not just Jewish and Muslims, it’s expanded to Buddhists, Hindus and many other groups.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/global/muslim-doctors-volunteer-work-xmas/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2017 at 12:40am
US Muslims Reflect on the Past, Shape the Future

CHICAGO – Addressing a huge Muslim attendance at the inauguration of 2017 MAS-ICNA convention, Sheikh Omar Suleiman galvanized the Chicago crowds Thursday night with an uplifting start to the convention, with a message on how to learn from past mistakes...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/us-muslims-reflect-past-shape-future/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2018 at 3:43am
First Video Released of MAS-ICNA Convention: Highlights

This annual convention was held last month in Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEiY5Stv4Kc

(6 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2018 at 2:20pm
South Carolina Muslims, Christians Team Up to Help the Needy

GREENVILLE COUNTY, SC – Members of Greenville’s Islamic Center have teamed up with a group from Traveler’s Rest United Methodist Church Saturday to provide aid and food at a South Carolina food bank

“Think this is a wonderful activity to do not only to build bridges between two communities but it also helps others as the result of that,” Javaid Qazi, a member of Greenville Islamic Society, told 7 WSPA News.

During the event, held at Harvest Hope Food Bank on White Horse Road, followers of the two faiths cooperated to pack up boxes of food to distribute to families in need.

“Coming together on the opposite spectrum of each other showing that we really are really similar we have the same views we are very passionate about serving others,” said Mason Hand with Travelers Rest United Methodists Church.

“I think that’s a good example to set in today’s world.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/carolina-muslims-christians-team-help-needy/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2018 at 3:15pm
Muslim Nominated for NJ Health Commissioner

TRENTON, NJ – Governor-elect Phil Murphy has named a federal Veterans Affairs Department official as New Jersey’s next health commissioner, who could be would the state’s first Muslim cabinet official.

Murphy said in a statement on Wednesday that Dr. Shereef Elnahal would be New Jersey’s first Muslim Cabinet official, if he was confirmed by the state Senate, North Jersey reported Wednesday.

He added he was “confident that Dr. Elnahal has the experience necessary to tackle these pressing issues.”

Elnahal, 32, grew up in Linwood and Galloway Township in Atlantic County, where his parents moved after immigrating from Egypt.

He is currently an assistant deputy undersecretary in the US Department of Veterans Affairs...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-nominated-nj-next-health-commissioner/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:07pm
Texas Muslims Reach out to the Homeless

DALLAS – Racing to help the homeless as winter storms blow, Muslim volunteers in the North Texas city of Richardson assembled and handed out hygiene kits for the homeless as part of a leading charity’s efforts.

“Nearly every single faith in the world preaches some type of community involvement [and] support,” Abdullah Shawky, one of the event’s organizers from the Muslim American Society at the Islamic Center of Dallas, told keranews.org.

“Because if your neighbor is hungry or cold or sick, then society as a whole is cold, hungry and sick,” he continued.

During the event, held on Martin Luther King Jr. day, volunteers gathered at the Muslim American Society Islamic Center of Dallas, which is based in Richardson...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/texas-muslims-reach-homeless/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2018 at 1:19pm
New Jersey Muslims Pack, Share Food With Needy

BRUNSWICK – Over a hundred volunteers from all ethnicities, religions, and age groups gathered earlier this week at the New Brunswick Islamic Center (NBIC) to pack and distribute free food packages to the needy.

“It’s really about engaging people to get involved and building volunteer communities,” said Zamir Hassan, founder of Muslims Against Hunger, New Brunswick Patch reported Thursday.

The event was organized and sponsored by a community-based organization HUDA, a part of NBIC, in conjunction with Muslims Against Hunger.

Hosted at the NBIC facility, the event saw over 100 volunteers join hands in making over 3000 non-perishable and 300 perishable plant-based food packages within an hour, which were then distributed to Elijah’s Promise, the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen, and needy families in New Brunswick...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/new-jersey-muslim-pack-food-hungry/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 January 2018 at 6:11am
Muslim Players Showcase True Faith at Florida University

MIAMI – Hassan Hussein is the first ever Muslim player to join the men’s basketball team of Florida International University and he does not hide it.

“It’s like my DNA,” he told Miami Herald. “It’s who I am and how I live my daily life.”

During the practice, Hussein usually pulls out for five minutes to pray in his locker-room.

“When I come back from praying, my teammates say, ‘Where did you go?’” said Hussein, who prays at dawn, twice in the afternoon, once before the sun sets and again just before sleeping.

“I say, ‘Hey, I just had to go pray real quick. I had to read the Qur’an.’

“My mother is one of the strictest Muslims I’ve ever met; she texts me every hour saying, ‘Make sure you pray.’ She instilled that in me and all my siblings, so I’m pretty devout.”

Hussein is one of two Muslim players on FIU’s five-man starting lineup. Elhadji Dieng is the other.

He graduated this past December, earning a bachelor’s degree in information technology, starting work on a master’s degree in network security.

Dieng, whose family lives in Senegal, went to high school in Spain at Canarias Basketball Academy and then played for New Mexico Junior College as a freshman and Sheridan College (Wyoming) as a sophomore.

With his family all the way back in Senegal, Dieng said his faith has kept him on the right path.

“Without (my religion), I could do something crazy,” said Dieng, whose main languages are French and Wolof, adding English just in the past two-plus years.

“But if you’re Muslim, you can’t drink. You can’t smoke. That’s helped me not to do that. I’ve been around people who have been smoking and drinking. But when I think about my religion … I can’t do that.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/muslim-players-showcase-true-faith-florida-uni/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:00am
Texas Muslims Host Winter Drive for Syrian Refugees

TEXAS – An Islamic center in southern Texas has urged people to donate winter clothing, blankets, and toys to be sent to Syrians facing the harsh winter in Lebanon and Jordan refugee camps.

“We have a lot of Syrian refugees both in Jordan and in Lebanon, and they live in tents,” Dr. Samer Jifiba told Kristv.com.

“Life gets miserable when it’s too cold.”

Organized by Helping Hands for Relief and Development, the winter drive was hosted by the Islamic Center and the Corpus Christi Immigration Coalition.

“The Islamic Society of Southern Texas, with help from the Corpus Christi Immigration Coalition, is spearheading a drive for supplies that will be delivered to nonprofits in Houston before reaching refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan,” a pamphlet for the event reads.

The center hopes to receive items such as cold weather clothes, bedding, shoes, and toys...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/texas-muslims-host-winter-drive-syrian-refugees/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 February 2018 at 3:46am
Californian Muslim Students Celebrate Hijab Day

POMONA – The Muslim Student Association of California State Polytechnic University organized a ‘Hijab challenge’ for the students at the Bronco Student Center on Monday in celebration of World Hijab Day.

“We are here today to show people what a hijab really is and why we decide to wear it,” said Warda Ahmed, vice president of MSA and a 4th-year student double majoring in international business and marketing, The Poly Post reported.

The MSA showcased a variety of hijabs with different fabrics, styles, colors, and sizes. The participants were also able to keep them as a gift.

World Hijab Day is celebrated every year on the first day of February, and the MSA thought it was the perfect opportunity to bring the celebration to their university.

The worldwide event was created by American social activist Nazma Khan who states she created the occasion “as a means to foster religious tolerance and understanding by inviting women (non-Hijabi Muslims/non-Muslims) to experience the hijab for one day.”

One of the participant students, 1st-year mechanical engineering student, Zareen Ahmed, said: “I wear a hijab because I want people to know that we are not oppressed but liberated, and I like when people can only judge me by my personality.”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/californian-muslim-students-celebrate-hijab-day/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version