Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2013 at 7:42am

Islam Grows in Multicultural Pittsburgh

A growing number of Pittsburgh residents from a variety of religious and cultural backgrounds are reverting to Islam, saying Islam agreed with them on a deep, intuitive level.

"It didn't take me long to realize that Islam was nothing that I thought it was. As I started learning more, I realized Islam appealed more to what I already believe about God," Sherry Snow, who converted to Islam in 1999 and goes by the name Safiye, told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Sunday, August 4...

http://onislam.net/english/news/americas/463854-islam-grows-in-multicultural-pittsburgh.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2013 at 1:19am

American Muslims Welcome `Eid

WASHINGTON – Tens of thousands of American Muslims gathered early on Thursday, August 8, in different mosques across the country to celebrate `Eid al-Fitr holiday, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

“`Eid prayers here are attended by Muslims from more than 40 different backgrounds and national origins,” Esam Omeish led the prayers at a ballroom at a hotel in the northern part of the US state of Virginia, told Voice Of America.

“That much diversity does not exist elsewhere except during the Muslim pilgrimage to Makkah...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/463914-american-muslims-welcome-eid.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2013 at 4:09am

California Hosts `Eid Halal Fest

CALIFORNIA – Combining halal food festival with   `Eid celebrations, California Muslims are planning a special event next week, offering halal food in open air with a special carnival for `Eid celebrations and musical performances.

"I got the idea after I visited New York City," Irfan Rydhan of San Jose, 38, a self-described "halal foodie" and American Muslim activist who is one of eight key California Halal Fest organizers, told Illume Magazine.

"I saw all these halal food carts and trucks, and I wondered why we couldn't do that here."

Planned next August 17, "Halal Fest" is the first ever Halal Food & Eid Festival in California.

The free event followed similar halal-focused festivals in New Jersey, Los Angeles, and Toronto. However, it is the first to combine both Halal festival and `Eid celebrations.

Seeing similar events in different American states, Rydhan formed his team of American Muslims and fellow foodies last August.

They have put plans for the event which will include halal food along with carnival type rides for children, a performance of Moroccan jazz and Indonesian singers, as well as skateboard, fitness, and chess demonstrations...

http://onislam.net/english/news/americas/463925-california-hosts-eid-halal-fest.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2013 at 10:35am
Muslims Help Needy American Students

PENNSYLVANIA – A leading American Islamic organization has launched its annual initiative to help poor families get ready for schools, offering hundreds of backpacks to children of all faiths in US eastern state of Pennsylvania.

"This is the real Islam," Zafar Chaudhary, a Muslim businessman in Matamoras, Pennsylvania, told Pocono Record website on Tuesday, August 20.

"To share what God gave to you with others."

Inviting the leading ICNA Relief, a division of the New York based national organization Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), to Matamoras, Chaudhary and Abdul Rauf, another businessman, wanted to pay back to their society.

"We want to give back to the community because we have businesses here," Chaudhary said...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/464144-muslims-help-needy-american-students.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 August 2013 at 3:43pm

Muslim Charity Top Ranked in US

A leading Muslim charity has been recognized amongst the top 10 highly rated charities in the United States, becoming one of the privileged Top Four Star Charities in the country.

This is a proud moment for all American Muslims." President of the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) Naeem Baig said in a statement obtained by OnIslam, congratulating Helping Hand for Relief and Development (HHRD) team.

“We pray for the continued success of Helping Hand and the strengthening of their efforts to bring relief to the poor and needy across the globe.”

The statement published on Thursday, August 22, said that HHRD was awarded the recognition of being amongst the top 10 Highly Rated Charities Relying on Private Contributions.

The ranking was announced by Charity Navigator, the nation's largest and most-utilized evaluator of charities which has developed an unbiased, objective, numbers-based rating system to assess over 6,000 of America's best-known charities.

HHRD is currently ranked 6th and received a score of 68.95 in Financial Performance, and 70 in Accountability & Transparency; with the overall score of 69.25 out of 70, making HHRD among the privileged Top Four Star Charities.

The NGO is a global humanitarian organization responding to human sufferings in emergency and disaster situations all over the world regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, class and religion...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/464183-muslim-charity-top-ranked-in-us.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 August 2013 at 6:03am
US Muslims Join Washington 'Dream" March

Leading American Muslim groups will be joining the March on Washington 50th-anniversary event on Wednesday, August 28, hoping to highlight an American Muslim perspective on current political, social and religious issues.

“After 50 years, the Civil Rights Movement is at a crucial juncture,” Nihad Awad Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said in a statement cited by the Washington Post.

“American Muslims are now part of that movement and we stand ready to do our part in the never-ending struggle for justice undertaken by Dr. King and men and women like him throughout our nation’s history...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/464234-us-muslims-join-washington-dream-march.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2013 at 2:28am

`Eid Holiday Boosts US Muslims Morals

In a bid to accommodate the religious minorities in Massachusetts, Revere public schools gave all its students a vacation in Muslim and Jewish religious feast, boosting the morals of the state’s Muslim and Jewish minority.

“We’re treating all religions equally on their holy days,” Superintendent Paul Dakin told The Everett Independent.

“It was a move to treat them equal by giving everyone the day off, such as we’ve always done with Good Friday. It does break up some continuity in September, but our kids and teachers are as much in other religions now as they are in Protestantism or Catholicism.

“It had to be we went to school on all religious days – meaning we would not go on Good Friday – or we give other religions a day off. We discussed it a lot and decided to add the days,” he added.

The decision followed a meeting between City’s public schools, administrators and School Committee members to discuss the growing religious diversity in Revere, Massachusetts.

Approving the addition of Muslim and Jewish holidays in 2014 school year, the meeting local officials decided that the Revere Schools will also observe two days for the Jewish Rosh Hashanah (Sept. 5th and 6th) and one day for the Muslim `Eid al-Adha (Oct. 15th), in addition to Good Friday (April 18)...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/464244-eid-holiday-boosts-us-muslims-morals.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 2:58pm

California Mosques Welcome Non-Muslims

CALIFORNIA – In a bid to correct misconceptions about Islam and Muslims, California mosque opened their doors on Sunday, October 27, to welcome non-Muslims, offering them insights on Islam and Muslims' culture...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/465455-california-mosques-welcome-non-muslims.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 November 2013 at 11:05am

Missouri Muslims Fight World Hunger

Celebrating thirty years of helping the poor and vulnerable in Missouri, an Islamic center has distributed 30,000 packaged meals to children in need overseas to help end world hunger.

"Every 30 seconds a person dies because of hunger-related disease," Rashed Nizam, chairman of the Islamic Center of Central Missouri (ICCM) Shura Council, told Columbia Daily Tribune.

"So when you hear that, you're responsible to do something."

Calling for the event titled "Spread Peace, Feed the Hungry," the ICCM’s effort made the center the first Muslim organization to follow the lead of the Islamic Society of North America in hosting the volunteer event to help end world hunger.

It was attended by 150 men, women and children, ranging in age from 8 to 88 who came out to help the center reach its goal.

Making a record, they managed to exceed their goal by yielding 30,024 prepackaged meals in just a little more than two hours...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/465731-missouri-muslims-fight-world-hunger.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 November 2013 at 2:34pm

US Art Expo Explores Muslim Life

Portraying Muslims daily life through the lens of art, students in a leading American university have inaugurated a multimedia expo about Islam, which will be running through November.

“Islam is a religion that can be interpreted in so many ways and through so many different passions,” Layla Quran, a junior student at the University of North Carolina (UNC) and co-organizer of the expo at Chapel Hill, told the Daily Tar Heel.

“There’s so much room for possibility — you can interpret it in a way that fits your lifestyle.”

Under the title "Passion in Practice", the Islamic Exhibit has been opened in the Student Union Art Gallery at UNC to introduce Islam in a creative way...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/465779-us-art-expo-explores-muslim-life.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 November 2013 at 1:49pm
Texas Video Competition Explores Islam

Offering deeper insights on Islam in a creative way, a Muslim students’ group in a Texas university held the first ‘Muslim Voices Film Competition’ at the Campus on Thursday, November 21.

“As the name suggests, we want to give our students a platform to express themselves,” Ziad Syer, event coordinator and accounting graduate student at Texas A&M University, told the Battalion Online.

“People love movies, so we figured this would be a fun event,” Syer, a member of the university’s American Muslim Students Association (MSA), added.

With no guidelines for the unprecedented competition, the participants were given a month to create short films with duration ranging between 5-20 minutes.

Four films are listed for the competition which will be held at 7 PM on Thursday, as the winning movie will be granted $100.

Nimrah Riaz, a filmmaker and participant in the competition, said he wanted to explore the perception of Texas students of Islam through her investigative video report ‘Hijab (Un)Veiled: An Aggie Perspective’...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/466223-texas-video-competition-explores-islam.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 December 2013 at 12:49am

US Muslims Fight Winter

As the winter approaches, different Muslim groups across the US have launched special clothing drives to help the needy and homeless in different American states.

“As winter quickly approached, during the month of November, ICNA Relief volunteers organized efforts to protect them from the upcoming harsh winter weather,” the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA)'s Winter Clothing Drive, said on its website.

“Many different winter articles and clothing were distributed among the refugees including but not limited to: Winter coats, jackets, boots, shoes, gloves, long johns, medications for the sick members, comforters, bed sheets and pillows.”...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/466495-us-muslims-fight-winter.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2013 at 12:43am

Islamic Media Finds Heart for US Muslim

CALIFORNIA – Used for years as an excellent tool for Dawah activities, Islamic websites and social media have been proved as a perfect tool to gather support for the needy, after a successful campaign went viral to offer help for a Muslim heart transplant patient.

“Social media and the news articles helped us connect with people on different continents,” Mujtaba Ahsan, the older brother for the patient Maria Haroon, told New America Media on Sunday, December 1.

“Most of our support came from the US and India, but we also received donations from people in other parts of the world, such as the UK and the Middle East.”

Maria’s case went viral at social media after her family launched a fund raising campaign beyond US to save the life of the 31-year-old Muslim.

Under the title ‘Heart for Maria Haroon’, a Facebook page was made to raise money for the operation...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/466521-islamic-media-finds-heart-for-us-muslim.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 December 2013 at 12:58am

Texas Islamic Center Makes A Difference

An Islamic center in Irving city in the southern US state of Texas has turned into a shining minaret of true Islam, being praised for leading relief efforts, interfaith events and dispelling some of the myths and untruths about Islam in the area.

“Imam Zia and the members of the Islamic Center of Irving are some of the best neighbors and citizens any community in America would be proud to have,” Anthony Bonds, Irving community activist, told North Dallas Gazette.

“They are devoted to God and they show divine compassion for people in need.”...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/466641-texas-islamic-center-makes-a-difference.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version