Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 December 2013 at 11:48am

Tulsa Muslims Promote Peace and Harmony in Annual Parade (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtqkATJub6U

(35 seconds)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2013 at 2:03am

Santa Barbara Muslims Get First Mosque

A years-old dream of the first Islamic worshipping house in Goleta city in the southern Santa Barbara County, California, has finally come true after the Muslim community received the green light earlier this week.

“All of us made history today,” Jamal Hamdani, the chair of the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara, said after the Center's approval, Santa Barbra Independent reported on Thursday, December 19.

“I am truly proud to be an American, a Muslim, and a member of this community.”

Goleta Muslim community has been waiting for the approval of their proposed Islamic centre since 2001, after buying the land at the corner of Los Carneros Road and Calle Real.

Living together for 30 years, more than 35 Muslim families along with students from US Santa Barbara University and Santa Barbra City College have formed the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara (ISSB).

Without a worship place, Muslims community used to pray in the Goleta Valley Community Center.

This all changed after the Muslim community got the go ahead for their own centre, thanking Goleta City Council who has unanimously approved the project.

“You’ve waited a long time for a home and now you have it,” Councilwoman Paula Perotte told Noozhawk.

The approved Islamic centre will be 10,000 square foot including a mosque, a dining room and a lecture hall.

“People can finally come to our house, our place,” said Yama Niazi, the imam for the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/467219-santa-barbara-muslims-get-first-mosque.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 December 2013 at 10:11am

Santa Visits Detroit Muslim Children

Santa Claus has made an unexpected visit to a Muslim majority Dearborn elementary school to pass out Christmas gifts to young boys and girls.

“It’s not Christmas without this program,” Brigitte Fawaz-Anouti, 47, director of social services and special projects at Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS), told Detroit Free Press.

“It’s just part of the tradition here.”

Last Thursday, Santa visited Salina Elementary School greeting the mostly Muslim students with “Keefak,” an Arabic word that means, “How are you?”

One boy replied in Arabic: “Is Santa Arab?”

At Salina school, at least 95% of the students are Arab-American Muslims, many of them of Yemeni descent from homes where parents are religious conservatives.

Over the past 24 years, Santa has been played at Salina Elementary School by Jim Stokes, a Dearborn attorney whose grandmother was a Lebanese Catholic immigrant

“When I see the kids, I think of her,” said Stokes, decked out in a Santa suit and beard.

The program was launched 40 years ago by ACCESS to bring holiday cheer to children in the south end of Dearborn, which has been the traditional gateway for immigrants to Dearborn and Detroit...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/467277-santa-visits-detroit-muslim-children-.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2013 at 12:17pm

Islam Finds Home Among Latino Americans

Like most Latinos, Fletcher was raised in a Catholic family, but he says his parents also encouraged him to find his own truth.

In his quest for the truth, he studied Christianity, Judaism, Taoism and Buddhism, coming to a belief that Islam was the true religion of God.

That’s when he decided to revert to Islam to go by the name Mujahid Fletcher, getting rid of one of the biggest disadvantages he had with Catholicism: confession to a priest.

“Islam brings about a clear sense of asking for forgiveness or repentance directly to God, without having an intermediary,” Fletcher says.

The same reason was cited by many Muslim reverts, according to Katherine Ewing, a professor of religion at Columbia University...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/467361-islam-finds-home-among-latino-americans.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2014 at 12:19pm

Virginia Mosque Marks 30 Years in Action

Considering it as the cornerstone of their community, Hampton Muslims in the southern Atlantic American state of Virginia have marked the 30th anniversary of their successful Islamic center.

"We are a part of the community," Ahmed Noor, a trustee of the mosque who is also an aerospace engineering professor at Old Dominion University, told Daily Press on Monday, January 6...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/467813-virginia-mosque-marks-30-years-in-action.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:47pm

US Muslims' Donations Defy 'Polar Freeze'

A recently established Muslim council in a New York county has donated hundreds of blankets and food items to the Long Island Council of Churches in East Meadow to defy the freezing weather.

“The first initial thing we thought we’d all do is a little bit of charity,” Habeeb Ahmed, member of the Islamic Center of Long Island, told LI Herald on Tuesday, January 7.

The donations were first suggested during a talk between Ahmed and Mohammed Saleh, a Merrick resident who belongs to the Long Island Muslim Society.

Establishing the Muslim community, the pair asked the congregation to donate money for the blankets, as well as food to be distributed on the needy.

In their first charity project, members of the Muslim Community of Nassau County (MCNC) donated more than 300 blankets as well as hundreds of pounds of non-perishable food items to the Long Island Council of Churches (LICC)...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/467879-us-muslims-donations-defy-polar-freeze.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2014 at 12:52am

Sacramento-area mosques to offer prayers for rain

Earlier this week, Catholic Bishops called the faithful to pray for rain.

Add to that request one from the Sacramento Valley chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

The group announced today that local mosques will offer a prayer for rain on Friday during congregational worship.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140109/A_NEWS/140109924

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baLf6NmGaIw

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 January 2014 at 1:03am

Ohio Students Revive Prophet's Message

OHIO – Ohio Muslim families and students have come together in a special religious weekend, reviving lessons of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and charging their batteries for the new year.

“We decided we wanted to work with other Muslim students' Associations (MSAs) in the area in order to build some networks and collaborations and make these events bigger and beneficial for a wide variety of people,” Abdulrahman Alwattar, MSA President, a third-year in public affairs, told the Lantern on Monday, January 21.

Held over the weekend, the conference titled “In the Words the Prophet: The Last Sermon" aimed at reviving the Prophet's (pbuh) message of unity and equality.

Guest speakers included Siraj Wahhaj, imam of the Masjid At-Taqwa in New York City, Mohamed Abutaleb, a teacher at the Oak Tree Institute of Islamic education and Yasmin Mogahed, a keynote Muslim speaker and author.

“The Prophet Muhammad was sent as the most beautiful example, and he is also described as a mercy to all of mankind," said Yasmin Mogahed, as self-help author and a keynote speaker at the conference, the Lantern reported on Monday, January 21...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/468335-ohio-students-revive-prophets-message.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2014 at 3:18am

Billboards Raise Islam Awareness in the US

MICHIGAN – A new billboard campaign has been launched in Michigan to present the true message of Islam and to support stronger interfaith relations in the US.

"We want to make sure that we work on the commonalities that there may be between Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and other faiths," Dr. Sabeel Ahmed, the director of the Gain Peace campaign, told Public News Service on Tuesday, January 28.

"If they are activists in the church or in the synagogue, we would like to work with them for the betterment of the society."

Gain Peace is a national organization supported by the Islamic Circle of North America.

Launching the new campaign, the organization aims to reach Michigan residents through billboards, newspapers, television, and radio ads.

Gain peace campaign aims to reach Michigan residents through its multimedia campaign that will include disseminating Islam message through billboards, newspapers, Television, and Radio ads.

The billboard includes two questions; "What Is Islam?" and "What Are The Muslims?"

It also includes a phone number for those interested in getting more information about Islam as well as a free copy of the Noble Qur’an...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/468573-billboards-raise-islam-awareness-in-us.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 January 2014 at 12:52am
AIR-TX: Houston Muslim Volunteers to Remove Debris from Elderly Woman's Home Ruined by Fire

Cleanup is part of year-long volunteerism initiative by Muslim civil rights group

(HOUSTON, TX, January 30, 2014) -- On February 1, a group of Muslim volunteers organized by the Houston office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Texas (CAIR-TX) will remove debris surrounding the home of an elderly woman whose fifth ward home was destroyed by fire a week before Christmas.

WHAT: Muslim Volunteers to Remove Debris from Elderly Woman's Home Ruined by Fire

WHEN: Saturday, February 1, 2014, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

WHERE: 4612 Market Street, Houston, TX 77020

CONTACT: Ahmad Alaswad, CAIR-Texas Houston Outreach Coordinator, (713) 838-2247, (713) 484-9027, aalaswad@cair.com

This cleanup is the first of CAIR-Houston's monthly volunteer activities, which will take place throughout the city in the upcoming year. CAIR chapters nationwide are committed to encouraging community members to reach out to their neighbors and to make a positive contribution to the society through volunteerism.

The home of Annie Brown, an elderly fifth ward resident, was destroyed by an accidental fire on December 18, 2013. Her family was fortunate to escape without injury but is now waiting for the City to determine if and when the home will be demolished.

"As Muslims we are compelled to help our neighbors of all backgrounds," said Ahmed Alaswad, CAIR-TX Houston outreach coordinator. "This activity is not a religious endeavor, but one that expresses the Islamic requirement to help those in need."

Brown has been living with relatives since the fire. She is grateful all residents of the home survived without major injury, especially her youngest grandchild, a little girl who was so covered with soot when pulled from the burning home that she was almost unrecognizable.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2014 at 3:37am

USA Islamic Fashion Week Modest Designs

Make way on the runway America – USA Islamic Fashion Week has arrived!  Organized by the Modesty Defined Islamic Fashion Council of America, LLC (MDIFC), this lively event was hailed a success by those in attendance.

More than a year in the planning, the USA Fashion Week, held February 13-16 in the DC, at Maryland Virginia area, had an expressed goal by organizers: to  bridge the gap between modest and Islamic fashions by showcasing the distinguished designs of emerging and established Muslim women designers.   

Baring the winter weather that gripped the Northeast, curious and excited attendees were able to enjoy and view the original fashion creations of La Merveille by KD Noor Couture, AK Designs, Akilah Fashions, Dols Designs, IDeen Collection, Hadiyah Weeks, Snazzy Fashions, Qadira’s Qreations as well as purchase accessories and items from vendors in the ‘boutique’ marketplace.

With the professionalism and polish to rival any runway show in the fashion world, young, slim models showcased chic, fashionable and Islamic inspired clothing for the American Muslimah.

Towards a fashionable Muslimah

Sarah, A young Muslim convert in attendance was amazed at the variety. She said, “I always see Muslim women dressed in one of three ways.  They either are completely uncovered and undistinguished from other Americans, draped in ill-fitting bag-lady type clothing or dressed in all black as if they are in mourning.

To be honest, it’s the number one thing that I struggle with as a new convert – the dress...

http://www.onislam.net/english/culture-and-entertainment/special-coverage/469425-usa-islamic-fashion-week-modest-designs.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2014 at 3:03am
New York Students Don Hijab For a Day

Non-Muslim students at New York’s Union College have participated in the second annual hijab for a day, sharing the experience of Muslim women donning the Islamic headscarf.

“I had a few people that I am friends with ask me about the hijab,” Julie Fishman ’16, who participated in Hijabi for a Day, told Concordiensis, the students’ newspaper of Union College, reported on Thursday, February 27.

“But what really struck me was that I felt like, as I was walking around campus, seeing other girls who were wearing the hijab provided almost an immediate connection...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/469739-ny-students-don-hijab-for-a-day.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:15am
New Jersey Volunteers Erase Mosque Hate Graffiti

A group of New Jersey citizens have volunteered to remove hate graffiti sprayed on the Islamic society in Princeton city, showing solidarity with the Muslim community against hate.

“This is bigotry and hate right here on a wall,” Michael Parks, who was seen cleaning the walls of the Islamic Society of the Appalachian Region’s mosque last Tuesday, told Princeton Times on Friday, March 14.

“I’m just amazed by the fact that someone took time out of their day to express hate,” he added.

The ISAR Islamic Center was vandalized once in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

At the time, the community stepped up and assisted in the clean-up process of the center...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/470275-nj-volunteers-erase-mosque-hate-graffiti.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2014 at 1:13am
US Muslims Run to Feed Hungry

Applying Islamic ethics in everyday life, US Muslim organizations in St. Louis, Missouri, are planning the first Walk+Run event to raise money for the needy and the homeless in the eastern American state where almost a quarter of population live in poverty.

"As American Muslims, our faith teaches us that feeding others is a right that they have on us," Abbas Ali the co-founder and current President of Project Downtown St. Louis (PDSTL), said...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/470645-us-muslims-run-to-feed-hungry.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 20 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version