Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion  
Message Icon Topic: Positive American Muslim Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2015 at 2:13am

Free Qur’an Dispels Islamophobic Hate

Standing up to the spread of Islamophobia campaigns, a leading US civil rights organization has launched two of its educational campaigns in response to the current debate about Islam and free speech in the wake of the recent Charlie Hebdo attacks.

"There are specific and clear verses in the Quran that instruct Muslims to respond peacefully and with prayer to insults and mockery," Nihad Awad, National Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said in a statement obtained by OnIslam.net.

"Free speech is at the core of Islamic beliefs."...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/481991-free-quran-dispels-islamophobic-hate.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 February 2015 at 12:29am
ISNA President at the White House  

(Plainfield, IN 2/6/15) On Wednesday, February 4th, Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) president Azhar Azeez joined 13 other Muslim American leaders at the White House at the invitation of President Barak Obama, to discuss a range of domestic and foreign policy issues.  

The hour-long meeting marks the first time Obama has held a roundtable with the Muslim American community. Also present were Obama's senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, National Security Adviser Susan Rice and Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes. The meeting was followed by 45 minutes of additional discussions with Jarrett and Rhodes.

In the meeting, ISNA President Azhar Azeez requested the President Obama to visit a mosque in US before his term ends, he also thanked the President for his recent statements made three weeks ago to British Prime minister David Cameron, where he mentioned how well American Muslims have become part and parcel of the mainstream American fabric unlike the situation of Muslims in Europe.  

Azeez also joined other invitees in drawing Obama's attention to the rising Islamophobia in the U.S. being fueled by some politicians and organizations, and asked him to use his influence to reset the national conversation on hate against Muslims and other religious minority communities. 

The ISNA president also presented the Nov/Dec 2014, and Jan/Feb 2015 issues of Islamic Horizons to President Obama.

Among the other topics of discussion were the community's efforts and partnerships with the Administration on a range of domestic issues such as the Affordable Care Act, issues of anti-Muslim violence and discrimination, the 21st Century Policing Task Force, and the upcoming White House Summit on Countering Violence Extremism. The President reiterated his Administration's commitment to safeguarding civil rights through hate crimes prosecutions and civil enforcement actions.  

Obama also discussed the need to continue countering ISIL and other groups that commit horrific acts of violence, purportedly in the name of Islam. Noting the remarkable contributions of Muslim Americans to their country, the President also encouraged them to remain civically engaged in their communities, and told them that he looked forward to seeking additional opportunities to continue the discussion of these and other issues.

"It was the first time the president has held a round-table meeting with Muslim-American leaders. This was a perfect time and opportunity to meet the President," said ISNA President Azhar Azeez. "The meeting went very well and everyone in the room felt it was extremely beneficial. The President was very engaging and very graciously heard all of us."

Other attendees included Dr. Sherman Jackson, the King Faisal Chair of Islamic Thought and Culture and Professor of Religion and American Studies and Ethnicity at the University of Southern California (USC), Farhana Khera, president and executive director of Muslim Advocates,  Imam Mohamed Magid from All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS) and former president of ISNA, Arshia Wajid, founder and president of American Muslim Health Professionals (AMHP), Arab American Institute (AAI), Hoda Elshishtawy, the national policy analyst for the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC), Farhan Latif, chief operating officer and director of policy impact, Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU), Maya Berry, executive director of the Arab-American Institute (AAI), Palestinian-American comedian Dean Obeidallah, Rahat Hussain, director of legal and policy Affairs, Universal Muslim Association of America (UMAA), and Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir, a graduate assistant with Indiana State University's women's basketball team who played basketball while wearing the Islamic headscarf. 

The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) is the largest and oldest Islamic umbrella organization in North America. Its mission is to foster the development of the Muslim community, interfaith relations, civic engagement, and better understanding of Islam

CONTACT: ISNA Communications Director Edgar Hopida, 317-839-1820 or 317-679-6350, ehopida@isna.net

(Source: ISNA)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2015 at 2:14pm
Detroit first city to TAKE ON HATE, stand against violence toward Muslim and Arab Americans

DETROIT – In a historic announcement Feb. 24, Mayor Mike Duggan and the City Council publicly pledged their support of the Campaign to TAKE ON HATE.

“The City of Detroit embraces the mission of the Campaign to TAKE ON HATE. As elected officials we have an even greater responsibility to speak out against discrimination, xenophobia and hatred, because when the unacceptable becomes the 'norm', people’s human rights are threatened. In support of the Campaign, we call on all Detroiters to speak out against hate to protect the rights of our Muslim and Arab communities,” said Castañeda-López.

"We all want Detroit to be a city where everyone feels welcomed and is welcomed, no matter their race, faith, age, political views or sexual orientation. I am proud to stand in support of our friends in the Muslim and Arab community in the effort to end bias and discrimination," said Duggan.

The rise in hate crimes has been made clear by a recent string of attacks against people based on their religion, or their perceived religion, in North America – including the recent devastating murder of three young American Muslims in Chapel Hill, N.C.; the arson attack of a mosque in Houston, Texas and the murder of man of Somali descent who was shot through his apartment door in Alberta, Canada.

"The Campaign to TAKE ON HATE welcomes the support of the Detroit City Council and Mayor Duggan. We are proud of their commitment to stand with us against hate that is resulting in violence and targeting of people because of their faith and ethnicity,” said Nadia Tonova, executive director of NNAAC.

Receiving this support is essential to the Campaign. The bias inherently built into standing federal, state and local policy jeopardizes the rights of all Americans, including Muslims and Arabs. TAKE ON HATE aims to change these policies that negatively impact the community while supporting those policies that proactively aid the community.

The Campaign to TAKE ON HATE strives to address issues of bias and discrimination, particularly toward Arab and Muslim Americans, and stands against bigotry toward all people.

www.takeonhate.org/detroit_first_city_to_take_on_hate_stand_against_violence_toward_muslim_and_arab_americans
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 March 2015 at 12:54am

Milwaukee’s 15-Year-Old Dream Mosque Opens

BROOKFIELD – After fifteen years of planning, a dream mosque in Brookfield city in Wisconsin’s largest city of Milwaukee opens its doors on Monday, March 2, offering 100 Muslim families a place to worship.

“We’ve had a lot of friends who have stood by us during this process,” Ahmed Quereshi with the Islamic Society of Milwaukee told Fox6now.com.

Starting 15 years ago with a dream, the Brookfield Mosque was built thanks to the efforts of several people from different faiths who fought to construct it...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/483527-milwaukees-15-year-old-dream-mosque-opens.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2015 at 12:00am

US Muslim Teen Defeats Stereotyping

“The media paints a picture of Islam, and many minorities, in a way that’s detrimental to the public’s perception of them,” Ziad said.

NEW JERSEY – Challenging misconceptions and stereotypes about his faith, a sixteen-year-old American Muslim teen has created a multi-platform organization to embrace "acceptance and tolerance" and create an active community.

“Many people had prejudice and misconceptions about my faith, even when I was little,” Ziad Ahmed told MTV News on Monday, March 2.

“The media paints a picture of Islam, and many minorities, in a way that’s detrimental to the public’s perception of them,” he added...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/483537-us-muslim-teen-defeats-stereotyping.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2015 at 1:49pm

New York Approves Muslim Holidays

De Blasio described the policy that begins in the coming school year as a simple “matter of fairness.”

After years of campaigning, New York Muslims have jubilantly welcomed Mayor Bill de Blasio’s decision add two Muslim holidays to public school calendar, which he described as a simple “matter of fairness.”

“When these holidays are recognized, it’s a sign that Muslims have a role in the political and social fabric of America,” Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy group, told New York Times on Thursday, March 5.

Hooper was among jubilant American Muslims who welcomed Mayor de Blasio’s announcement on Wednesday...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/483625-new-york-approves-muslim-holidays.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2015 at 1:42am

Boston Mosque Youth Leader Builds Bridges

Reaching out to Muslim teens in Boston, the largest mosque in New England has hired a new youth director who is conversant with American culture, in a bid to fill the gap after the departure of imam William Suhaib Webb last December.

“I don’t necessarily need kids to spend the night reading the Qur’an — if they are in good company, doing something fun and beneficial, as opposed to going to a club, or wasting their life ... the positive will appear naturally,” AbdelRahman Murphy, the new youth director at the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center in Roxbur, told The Boston Globe on Sunday, March 22.

The 27-year-old mental health counselor and aspiring scholar based in Dallas, Murphey, has been hired by Roxbury mosque to offer support for Muslim teens and college students in New England...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/484169-boston-mosque-youth-leader-builds-bridges.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2015 at 12:27am

San Francisco Faith Ring Protects Muslims

Showing solidarity with San Francisco Muslims, dozens of residents and religious leaders formed an interfaith ring around a mosque after Friday Prayer to support the religious minority amid soaring Islamophobia.

“We’re saying right now we’re standing up against Islamophobia in our community," Rabbi Daniel Goldblatt, founder of the Interfaith Council of San Ramon Valley, told the crowd, San Francisco Chronicle reported on Friday, March 27.

"We are all in this human enterprise together.”...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/484293-san-francisco-faith-ring-protects-muslims.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2015 at 2:58pm

Minnesota Students Don Hijab to Know Islam

The event, held on Tuesday, was attended by more than 350 students who covered their hair with hijabs in front of Coffman Union.

It is one of several events hosted by the Al-Madinah Cultural Center and the Muslim Students Association to celebrate Islam Awareness Week and help clear up common misconceptions about Muslims.

Teaching students about the importance of hijab in Islam, student groups hope this week will explain aspects of their culture and set the groundwork for a better community for Muslims on campus...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/484567-minnesota-students-don-hijab-to-know-islam.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2015 at 11:15am

US Muslim Student Wins Race Relations Prize

Promoting cross-culture understanding, an American Muslim student has been awarded the 2015 race relations prize for his outstanding work to advance the cause of race relations in New Jersey.

“To promote cross-cultural understanding, and raise awareness for a dangerous trend that has unfortunately become ubiquitous among Muslim youth communities, I completed a series of three short stories that presented the negative psychological effects of bullying on post 9/11 Muslim-American youth,” Adam Mohsen-Breen, of Moorestown Friends School, told Burlington County Times on Friday, April 10.

The 17-year-old student, Mohsen-Breen, received a certificate of recognition of the 2015 Princeton Prize in Race Relations for his series of three self-written and illustrated children's books...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/484895-us-muslim-student-wins-race-relations-prize.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2015 at 11:58pm

US Gets First Veiled Muslim TV Anchor

"My name, Noor, means 'light.' My middle name is Alhuda, so Noor Alhuda means 'the guiding light,'" she says.

Driven by her childhood dream of becoming a journalist, a Muslim American woman aims to be the first-ever veiled anchor on commercial television in America, defying the stereotyped image of the Muslim women in the mainstream media.

"I grew up knowing that I wanted to be a reporter... and basically have a way to tell stories," Muslim journalist Noor Tagouri said in a video cited by the Huffington Post on Friday, April 10.

"I never thought I was going to wear this hijab, [but] when I did start wearing it, I decided that I still wanted to be a reporter, obviously, and I didn't want this to stop me."

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/484903-first-veiled-tv-anchor-appears-in-us.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2015 at 12:40am
Southern California Muslim women hand out roses to promote peace, unity

The Muslim Women Network of Southern California handed out free roses over the weekend to promote peace, unity, diversity and freedom.

The group planned to hand out 1,500 roses at the Irvine Spectrum, Downtown Disney and the Beverly Center in Los Angeles. Besides distributing roses, the Muslim women planned to spread messages of Islam, including from the prophet Muhammad: “Feed the hungry and visit the sick, and free the captive if he is unjustly confined. Assist any person oppressed, whether Muslim or non-Muslim. ”

“There are too many misconceptions about Islam. Unfortunately usually the media doesn't display the life of real Muslims...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/muslim-657709-roses-islam.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2015 at 1:08am

Islamic charity event helps needy in Tampa

Speaking at the 18th annual Islamic Charity Festival at MacFarlane Park on Sunday, Ali, a member of the Tampa Bay Muslim Alliance, told a crowd including Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor and Hillsborough County Commissioner Kevin Beckner, that people will be “honored” for “everything we do in our lives.”

Conversely, said Ali, who drew from the Quran, the religious text of Islam: “We will be held accountable for the things we do.”

Ali spoke as festival organizers prepared to give away about 90 bicycles to needy children. Food, toys and clothes also were distributed Sunday to “pre-identified and deserving homeless people” at the event, organized by the Muslim Alliance...

http://tbo.com/events-tampa-bay/islamic-charity-event-helps-needy-in-tampa-20150426/?page=1

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:43am

US Muslims Counter Hate with Virtues

DALLAS – Building bridges between people, promoting understanding with those of other faiths, and living the virtues of a good neighbor are just some of the Islamic fundamentals Imam Daniel Adbullah Hernandez emphasizes when encouraging his Southeastern Texas congregation to look beyond the masjid walls and to connect with those who they otherwise might avoid.

To show his fellow Muslims the way, he leads by example and emphasizes mercy.

“We have beautiful statements of the Prophet (pbuh) about mercy. He said, ‘The merciful will be shown mercy by the most merciful (Allah),’” Hernandez, a revert since 1999 who now serves at the Pearland Islamic Center in Pearland, north Texas, said...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/485697-us-muslims-counter-hate-with-virtues.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 22 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version