Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Drinking linked to memory decline Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Drinking linked to memory decline
    Posted: 16 January 2014 at 12:56am

Heavy drinking linked to early onset of memory decline in men

UCL study on recall and thinking finds cognition worsening in middle-age drinkers up to six years earlier than normal

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/15/heavy-drinking-memory-deline-earlier-men-ucl

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 16 January 2014 at 12:05pm
An excess of just about anything will have adverse effects on the body Al.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2014 at 12:52am
Especially alcohol Damo

It's also addictive, which takes away part of human freedom

Right?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Especially alcohol Damo

It's also addictive, which takes away part of human freedom

Right?

Just a bit of a stretch Al when you say it takes away freedom.
 Sugar for example is being demonized as the new nicotine, see here highly addictive and can lead most commonly to diabetes. Yet in moderate amounts it has no long lasting health problems.

Wine similarly has health benefits to the body, taken in moderation.

Some people develop a 'comfort food' dependency due to sugar levels in what they eat. The endorphin rush as such food is consumed triggers an addiction setting off a vicious circle leading to critical levels of obesity. What's the solution,  a total ban on sugar cane ? Or do we need a nanny style state to monitor every aspect of our lives so much that we need a requisition order clearance to add sugar to our tea or coffee.... ?

Alcohol Al is no different. Its all about self discipline..

Edited by Damo808 - 18 January 2014 at 7:56am
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2014 at 9:29am
No, I don't see it as a stretch, Damo

Sugar can be reduced, it is not an addiction

Alcoholics on the other hand lose complete control of their lives when they get to an advanced stage of addiction

Families are ruined, so are careers, as they become so dependent on alcohol.

If this is not a loss of freedom, what is?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2014 at 12:48pm

No, I don't see it as a stretch, Damo

Sugar can be reduced, it is not an addiction

Alcoholics on the other hand lose complete control of their lives when they get to an advanced stage of addiction

Families are ruined, so are careers, as they become so dependent on alcohol.

If this is not a loss of freedom, what is?

Again, its a lack of self discipline not a loss of freedom, It is freedom or free-will rather that has allowed an individual to become an alcoholic. Some people turn to some coping mechanism when under grief,  stress or in depression and with the ongoing symptoms being blurred out with alcohol one can see the obvious outcome will be alcoholism. Al millions of people drink a tiny tiny minority of that number become alcoholics. 

As for sugar, perhaps you never read the link which says otherwise... Yes sugar can be reduced... But were talking about high calorie high sugar content foods not raw sugar , its the effect of the sugar in such foods Al... Do you believe people of average height who live on a high suger diet  choose to be 350/400 lbs to have to pay double fair in some situations with certain airlines etc ?  Are you suggesting such an individual doesn't have the same urge to maintain his regular intake of sugary gloop as someone who suffers from alcoholism ?

Edited by Damo808 - 18 January 2014 at 12:52pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 12:10am
Sugar does not ruin families and careers due to addiction, Damo

Alcohol does unfortunately

God knows what is good for us, and what is harmful, and He knows that alcohol has the potential to make people act in an irresponsible way

Our intellect is our most precious gift and God guides us (in Islam) not to harm our intellect and thereby harm ourselves through alcohol.

He wants us to be free ...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 3:53am

Sugar does not ruin families and careers due to addiction, Damo

Alcohol does unfortunately

God knows what is good for us, and what is harmful, and He knows that alcohol has the potential to make people act in an irresponsible way

Our intellect is our most precious gift and God guides us (in Islam) not to harm our intellect and thereby harm ourselves through alcohol.

He wants us to be free ...

Alcohol is consumed and enjoyed by probably a couple of billion people in the world. It is a substance... it can be used sensibly or irresponsibly. It comes down to individual responsibility.

Alcohol ruins lives yes.. used irresponsibly it can lead to many perils. No-one disputes that no-one ever has.

But consumed sensibly as is the case with the vast majority of those who do drink there are no negatives. Lest you would be highlighting them.

So your thread title should be edited to what it should have been. Which is the sub-heading of your initial post which included the the term 'heavy' before the word 'drinking'... as this relates to the evidence in the link youve provided. You overstep when you  claim in a blanket statement in your title that merely drinking alcohol is linked to memory decline which so far at least you've not shown evidence for.

The evidence you've submitted is conclusive to abuse of alcohol only. Hardly new science in claiming alcohol abuse is bad for you . The science you've pointed is only elaborating on the perils of its abuse... which only serves as a reminder to those who do drink sensibly to continue to do so.

Edited by Damo808 - 19 January 2014 at 4:00am
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 6:58am
Believe you me Damo, it's best to avoid it all together

God knows best

Take care

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 9:49am

Believe you me Damo, it's best to avoid it all together

God knows best

Take care

If your speaking from a religious perspective we just simply have to dis-agree on that as our religions teach differently on the issue. But if your talking from a scientific perspective, provide the proof. To believe you i need to see it.. For i can present proof that wine drunk in moderation can have positive health benefits..

Take care Al
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 12:11pm
From The Guardian article:

The long-term effect of alcohol on the brain has not been extensively researched. Most studies have looked at elderly people, who have usually stopped or considerably reduced their drinking...

It's crucial to continue investing in research if we are to understand how to keep our brains healthy as we age and prevent the diseases that cause dementia.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/15/heavy-drinking-memory-deline-earlier-men-ucl

God knows what is best for us.

Our knowledge is limited, while His Knowledge is complete

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 January 2014 at 4:07pm

From The Guardian article:

The long-term effect of alcohol on the brain has not been extensively researched. Most studies have looked at elderly people, who have usually stopped or considerably reduced their drinking...

It's crucial to continue investing in research if we are to understand how to keep our brains healthy as we age and prevent the diseases that cause dementia.

God knows what is best for us.

Our knowledge is limited, while His Knowledge is complete

Again.. the evidence you provide is related to excessive drinking/ substance abuse. Why won't you admit that  ? What of the above is in any-way related to moderate consumption ? Our knowledge is limited yes but we should be knowledgeable enough to know of the perils and pleasures of alcohol after having produced it for thousands of years Al.. Its not that unfathomable.

As for God knowing best. I refference Psalm 104:14 and Eccles 9:7.

Wine is a gift.

Edited by Damo808 - 19 January 2014 at 4:19pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2014 at 1:23am
Hello Damo

God tells us in the Qur'an the following:

"They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people.

But their sin is greater than their benefit..."
" (2:219)

Divine Laws are meant to protect people from harm.

God does not give us these laws for the "wise" people only who can control how much alcohol they consume in order not to harm their health, but He gives us these laws for the average person

If you go out at night over the weekend and see how average people behave when drinking, you can realize the wisdom of this Divine Law

Binge-drinking is become a serious problem as you know in the UK, and in Europe in general, and the damage it causes to health, wealth and human life is tremendous.

As for Christian quotes in the Bible, this is the answer of brother Idris Tawfiq, a former British Catholic priest, which you may find interesting:

A Wine-Drinking Jesus?

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/society-and-family/interfaith-issues/167309-a-wine-drinking-jesus.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2014 at 5:06am
Just to add my two cents, the health benefits you get from red wine can be obtained by eating grapes, especially red ones.
The main benefit of red wine comes from resveratrol, an antioxidant that protects the heart and help cells "stay young". But resveratrol is present in red grapes, especially in the skin, as well as flavonoids and sapponins.

Besides, red wine is said to reinforce the enamel of teeth to prevent tooth decay. Anyway, all these benefits are found even in grape juice and non alcoholic red wine.

I know people who have drunk wine in moderation all their lives long without any negative consequences. However, if you avoid it at all you are on the "safe side", not only concerning alcoholism and liver problems, but also you don't have to worry about drinking and driving :)

A question I would like to ask to Muslims is if I can use wine for facial masks and other beauty treatments, without drinking it of course. I am a big fan of natural beauty products and I make most of my creams and masks by myself at home. I have read a lot about "vinotherapy", i.e. using wine for facial masks and beauty treatments and I would like to try, but I don't know if it's permissible.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version