Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 23 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World
    Posted: 11 January 2015 at 3:17am
Most of the news today is negative news

This thread will try to compile some positive and uplifting news for a change

Please post good uplifting News from around the world when you spot them

Here is the first story from the UK:

Boy has heart attack on school sports field. Two friends save his life

From left: Chris Collins, Will Edgar-Gibson, Matt Grenham and assistant headteacher Matt Wardle

A pupil whose life was saved by two of his pals has returned to school for the first time since collapsing from a heart attack on the rugby pitch.

Will Edgar-Gibson, 15, was fighting for his life having just scored a try in a PE lesson rugby match at The Buckingham School.

But quick-thinking team mates Chris Collins and Matt Grenham, both 15, rushed to Will’s side and began performing CPR.

The courageous pair, who are cadets and both hope to join the forces after school, stayed by Will’s side until the air ambulance arrived to whisk him to hospital for emergency surgery.

Will returned to school on Monday but needed a day off on Tuesday to recover from the excitement.

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/news/more-news/my-pals-pitched-in-to-save-my-life-1-6512696

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2015 at 2:11am

Vancouver restaurant opens its dining room to homeless

Ten Ten Tapas wants other restaurants to do the same, offer occasional free meals to those in need

Matthew Phillip, executive chef of Ten Ten Tapas, serves up a bowl of seafood chowder to Corey Lemieux.

The owner of Vancouver waterfront bistro Ten Ten Tapas is challenging other restaurateurs in the region to open their dining rooms to people in need.

On Wednesday, Derek Oelmann and staff at his False Creek restaurant seated and served 50 low income and homeless people who live in the neighbourhood...

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Restaurant+opens+dining+room+homeless/10716811/story.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 17 January 2015 at 3:18pm
Bruce Farrer has been assigning a special project to his students

When was the last time you received a hand-written letter?

In the small Canadian town of Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Bruce Farrer lifts letters off a pile, pausing to examine each one with his soft, heavily lidded eyes. A high school teacher for more than 50 years, Farrer has been assigning a special project to his students: a 10-page letter handwritten to themselves in which they express their hopes and dreams, fears and experiences. He returns their letters, whether through direct mail or doorstep delivery, 20 years later.

“Having this opportunity to digest is like this little gift of somebody that I have forgotten years ago.”

“I wasn’t quite expecting that emotional roller coaster,” says one former student as she reads about her grandmother’s death, wiping away tears. “I can’t tell you how special that is to me, to be able to go back and read something that I wrote to myself when I was that age.”

“Having this opportunity to digest,” says another, “is like this little gift of somebody that I have forgotten years ago.”

Now mothers and fathers, many of Farrer’s former students look back at the days when they sat in a classroom and watched an ordinary man teach. Many found him not especially charismatic, but as they’ve grown up, so has their image of him. They see something different, more complex: a generous spirit whose lesson has transcended their perceptions of time and one another.

"I know I’m not an outstanding teacher, just an ordinary teacher,” he murmurs, his modest words soft like cotton. “Who happened to assign a rather different assignment."

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=5983
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2015 at 2:17am

Nonprofit serves 1.5 million school lunches across India every day

The Akshaya Patra Foundation has quickly become one of the largest and most efficient nonprofits in the world, serving 330 million hot meals to schoolchildren in India each year.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Making-a-difference/Change-Agent/2013/1118/Nonprofit-serves-1.5-million-school-lunches-across-India-every-day

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2015 at 12:43am

Cat saves baby from freezing Russian night - video

Masha the cat saved an abandoned Russian baby by keeping him warm as temperatures dipped below zero.

Masha's owner, who lives in the city of Obninsk, thought her cat was being attacked but when she went out into the stairwell she saw the baby boy crying.

Masha was described as a "really rational creature" by paramedics, who have credited her with keeping the baby alive during the freezing night temperatures

http://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2015/jan/19/cat-saves-baby-from-freezing-russian-night-video

Well-done Masha!

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2015 at 4:45am

Hundreds gather to stop cancer patient being evicted from home

More than 300 people have gathered on a quiet street in Nottingham to help stop a cancer patient being evicted from his home.

Tom Crawford has been embroiled in a lengthy battle with Bradford & Bingley bank over his mortgage.

The 63-year-old, who has lived in the house for 25 years, says he has been told he still owes more than £43,000 - but claims he doesn't owe a penny...

This is the second time he's defending his home from the bailiffs.

In July last year, more than 200 strangers travelled from across the country to help stop him being kicked out of his home when he was served with an eviction notice.

Hundreds of strangers gathered outside Tom Crawford's home last year Credit: FacebookPage/Evictionthefraudofthebank

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2015-01-23/hundreds-gather-to-stop-nottingham-man-being-evicted-from-home/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2015 at 6:58am
To the Young Woman Who Noticed Us When I Hoped No One Would

Our family doesn't exactly blend in with the wallpaper. Not only are we two white parents with a brown son and daughter (something that causes enough stares and questions all by itself), but our son has noticeable developmental delays and different behaviors caused by his autism, and our daughter has physical differences with her missing and webbed digits. In other words, when we all go out together, we stand out. Usually I don't mind, and often I love it. My children are beautiful and so is our story.
"I just wanted you to have this bouquet...." I looked down to see the flowers in her hands. She quickly continued to explain...

"I was adopted as a baby and it has been a wonderful thing. We need more families like yours." I stared at her, stunned. Hadn't she seen what a disaster we were in the store? Didn't she see that we were barely able to keep it together? Didn't she see what I felt were all my failures as a mom?

As she handed me the flowers, I managed to choke out a thank you and tried to express that this meant the world to me. She patted my shoulder, told me my family was beautiful, and walked back into the store.

My steps were much slower as I finally headed to the car with my arms full of flowers and tears that had spilled over onto my cheeks. On a day when I felt like we were the worst example of family... a day when I hoped no one noticed us... she did. But she didn't see what I assumed everyone was seeing. She didn't think what I assumed everyone was thinking. She saw beauty and love and hope and family. She thought we were wonderful and it made her smile.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauren-casper/to-the-young-woman-who-noticed-us-when-i-hoped-no-one-would_b_6305066.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 January 2015 at 12:28am
Blind Mother Sees Her Newborn for the First Time Using Special eSight Glasses

A woman who has been legally blind since birth was able to see her newborn for the first time using a pair of special glasses in a moment that was captured on video.

Kathy Beitz wanted badly to see her baby on the day she was born, and eSight Corporation, which creates special glasses priced at $15,000 that allows those who are legally blind to see to a certain extent, loaned her glasses for the day, according to a Huffington Post report.

Her older sister Yvonne Felix, who is also blind, uploaded the video. She said she had tried the glasses herself and was able to see her 6-year-old and 2-month-old children, but she was not able to see them when they were first born, and she wanted her sister to have that experience.

http://natmonitor.com/2015/01/24/watch-touching-video-of-blind-mother-seeing-her-newborn-for-the-first-time-video/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 25 January 2015 at 3:14pm
Wow Subhan Allah
Thanks for posting ...

Unlikely Friendship

Steve Hartman reports on the book club that's inspiring people in other states and countries. It all began with an unlikely friendship between two men, one a lawyer and the other homeless...

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=1687

(About 3 mins)
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2015 at 12:09am
Bill and Melinda Gates Annual Letter

we think the next 15 years will see major breakthroughs for most people in poor countries.

They will be living longer and in better health. They will have unprecedented opportunities to get an education, eat nutritious food, and benefit from mobile banking.

These breakthroughs will be driven by innovation in technology — ranging from new vaccines and hardier crops to much cheaper smartphones and tablets — and by innovations that help deliver those things to more people.

The rich world will keep getting exciting new advances too, but the improvements in the lives of the poor will be far more fundamental — the basics of a healthy, productive life.

It's great that more people in rich countries will be able to watch movies on super hi-resolution screens. It's even better that more parents in poor countries will know their children aren't going to die...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688

www.gatesnotes.com/2015-annual-letter?WT.mc_id=01_21_2015_DO_GFO_domain_0_008

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2015 at 8:38am
Anonymous Saudi Man Has A Beautifully Simple Idea To Feed The Poor With 'Charity Fridge'
Sometimes, making a difference can be shockingly simple.

A man living in the city of Hail, Saudi Arabia, came up with a brilliant idea to feed needy people in his neighborhood while sparing them the "shame" of begging, according to Gulf News.

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, installed a refrigerator on the street in front of his house and invited neighbors to donate their extra food, so that hungry people could come and eat.

The idea gained international attention after religious scholar Shaikh Mohammad Al Araifi praised the act of charity on his Twitter account with a picture of the fridge. "I've always said the people of Hail are generous. A man puts a fridge outside his house for leftover food; an indirect act of charity for the needy," he said, in a translation provided by the BBC. "Oh how I love you, Hail!"
Twitter applauded the simple gesture. “That is exactly what we needed: A simple, but bright idea that goes a long way in helping people,” posted user Sniper, according to Gulf News. “The idea should now be adopted and all large mosques in the country should place fridges to take and distribute food."

The Muslim holy month of fasting, Ramadan, will begin at the end of June. Bahraini national Salah told Gulf News that the charity fridge concept should be adopted in Bahrain during Ramadan. "It is a great act of charity that can make many people happy and satisfied,” he said. “There is the food factor, but there is also the spiritual dimension, especially during the sacred month when people engage deeply in acts of charity."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/08/saudi-man-poor-charity-fridge_n_5290533.html
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 30 January 2015 at 5:33pm
I was flying from Islamabad to Karachi last night and there was a girl onboard with a serious condition. First of all the stretcher took more seats than the patient had booked, but the other passengers managed it somehow. When we were on the way, the captain announced that the patient needs medical assistance and he requested all the doctors sitting in the plane to contact seat number 54 where the patient was lying. What a great feeling it was to see around 15 people raising from their seats and rushing towards the patient. They were all doctors and half of them were women. They gave immediate assistance to that patient. What a fabulous time it was to see all the doctors discussing and figuring out what to do. These people...they are Pakistan.

https://www.facebook.com/DaYoutubeGuy/photos/a.235509529807398.64535.212270682131283/852288238129521/?type=1&fref=nf
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 01 February 2015 at 2:51pm
I will live for love and the rest will take care of itself. --Marina Keegan

Marina’s death granted the Keegans permission to descend into the darkest grief, to rage at everything and nothing, to blame the car, blame the boyfriend, blame the weather, blame God. But they didn’t.What should have been the first chapter of Marina Keegan’s life became the last when, five days after her graduation from Yale University, she died in a car crash. Her boyfriend was driving them both to her father’s 55th birthday party at her family’s summer house. Nobody was drinking, nobody was speeding; the car hit a guardrail and flipped. It was a moment of startling, random horror.

What Tracy and Kevin Keegan did instead was take the most dreadful thing a parent can endure—the opposite of joy, if you will—and transform it.

I was drawn to Marina’s voice and gumption, but what will stay with me for a very long time is that beauty of the Keegans’ forgiveness.It started the day after Marina’s death, when they reached out to her boyfriend, inviting him to their home and embracing him. They later went to court to make certain the charges of vehicular homicide against him were dropped because “it would break [Marina’s] heart to know her boyfriend would have to suffer more than he already has.” And then they worked diligently to make Marina’s book happen because, as Fadiman wrote, “Marina wouldn’t want to be remembered because she’s dead. She would want to be remembered because she’s good.”

I was drawn to Marina’s voice and gumption, but what will stay with me for a very long time is that beauty of the Keegans’ forgiveness. Here’s what they wrote in the book’s dedication:

“I will live for love and the rest will take care of itself” were Marina’s words on graduation day, the last time we saw her. The Opposite of Loneliness is dedicated to love. Our hope is that Marina’s message of love will inspire readers to imagine the possibilities and make a difference in the world.

http://www.dailygood.org/story/845/marina-keegan-and-the-opposite-of-loneliness-alice-peck/
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 February 2015 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Bill and Melinda Gates Annual Letter

we think the next 15 years will see major breakthroughs for most
people in poor countries. They will be living longer and in better
health. They will have unprecedented opportunities to get an education,
eat nutritious food, and benefit from mobile banking. These
breakthroughs will be driven by innovation in technology — ranging from new vaccines and hardier crops to much cheaper smartphones and tablets —and by innovations that help deliver those things to more people.

To me, it strikes against an overarching narrative. Bill Gates has said that, "By 2035 there will be almost no poor countries left in the world," and this is a misleading quote your report picks up on.
You're absolutely right; it does tie in to a critique of the overall narrative. The Davos summit is where the world's super-rich, governments, and business leaders get together and try and convince themselves that they're the good guys. The discourse around the fact that the poor are getting richer—and all the sort of things that they'd like to have us believe—is quite convenient because instead of casting them as undeserving beneficiaries of a system that allows 80 billionaires to earn the same amount of money as half the world's population, it casts them as philanthropic heroes. It means that Bill Gates holds the keys to defeating poverty, which is a huge distortion of reality.

And that's wrong?
There's some truth in what he says, in that the direction the world is going in is away from there being poorer or richer countries... But we have increasingly a situation where countries are rich but the people living in them are poor because of the huge inequality of wealth.

Though the rise from 288 million to 562 million living in poverty is pretty damning, Sub-Saharan Africa's population has grown, so could you argue that it was inevitable that the numbers of poor people there would rise?
Even in terms of proportion it's not great, because if you look at it that way it just means that we've pretty much stayed where we are after the last thirty years. Thirty years of aid, thirty years of hot air from philanthropists, aid agencies, about how much they're helping Africa has actually not really done anything to reduce the proportion of people who are living underneath that completely arbitrary poverty line. And if you look at raw numbers, things are a lot worse.

That's specifically about Africa. Globally, poverty has gone down hugely, but the reason that figure has gone down is mostly because of China, which is interesting because China's probably the one place in the world that has had least involvement from aid agencies and philanthropists in terms of reducing poverty, so if poverty has reduced across the world it's definitely not anything to do with the philanthropic capitalist model.

What would you say to someone who said that people in the West are better off than at almost any other point in history?
I think that's a slight exaggeration, but in terms of standard of living, people make this argument with technology quite a lot and yes, technology does get better, and medicine gets better, but in terms of economic wellbeing, some other things have got worse.

There's no Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy type solution but part of the answer to some of these problems are quite simple. We have unfair trade rules across the world: make them fairer. Corporations are avoiding tax across the world: introduce rules to stop them doing that. Climate change is a big problem: introduce stronger environmental legislation and reduce emissions. Those are actually quite boring and difficult but nevertheless strong answers to the problems we've got in the world.

You can think of all sorts of complicated market methods to avoid these questions but you have to go back to the quite boring solutions of regulation and increasing oversight of some of the crazier parts of the market in order to make the world a better place. Ultimately, the solution is made up of these kinds of things, rather than the more exciting, technological ideas put forward at Davos.

http://www.vice.com/read/development-world-poverty-wealth-davos-myths-oscar-rickett-200
Page  of 23 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version