Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 21 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2015 at 1:30am
Germans Launch Food Sharing Web Site

Unsold sandwiches and other leftover food get wasted all the time.

But in Germany, a food-sharing website is helping to make sure the food reaches hungry people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9uvylQjxmE

(2 minutes)

This is the web site (in German):

http://foodsharing.de

An excellent initiative which should spread around the world to support those in need.

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2015 at 8:18am

Husband, 108, wife, 105, celebrate 82 years married

Duranord Veillard will turn 108 on Saturday while his wife of 82 years, Jeanne, turns 105 in May.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/26/husband-108-wife-105-celebrate-82-years-married/24094901/

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 01 March 2015 at 8:21am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 March 2015 at 1:59am

Girl Scouts Give Cookie Revenues to 75-Year-old Woman Who Lost Everything

Eight Girl Scouts, who had planned to spend $300 on a “Spa Day” for their troop, decided to donate the money to a woman who had lost everything in a house fire.

The fourth grade girls from West Carrollton, Ohio were going to use their reward money from cookie revenues on manicures and other pampering at a local spa, but on Monday night during their bi-monthly troop meeting they heard about the misfortunes of Barbara Dolan, the great-grandmother of one of the girls.

Last weekend, Barbara’s home burned to the ground and there was no insurance. When the girls heard the news, they decided, unanimously, to forgo their Spa Day and, instead, give away the money...

The lady needs the money way more than we do.”

The moms, who have been together since kindergarten, collected an additional $200 in donations.

“We all went to the home of Mrs. Dolan’s granddaughter and the girls presented her with a handmade card and $500 inside,” Dickson told the Good News Network.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/girl-scouts-give-cookie-revenues-to-75-year-old-woman-who-lost-everything/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2015 at 12:59pm

Facebook Pals Collect 200 Tons of Food for Flood Victims in Malaysia

Seven friends in Malaysia who are not formally organized in any way have managed to collect more than 200 tons of donations for the flood victims in Terengganu, Kelantan and Pahang, receiving overwhelming support, even from a guy with a helicopter to transport the goods.

Six of them have full-time jobs, mostly in the service sector, while one is a full-time homemaker. Ahamad Emran, Fadly Daud, Hafiz Kamal, Hayati Ismail, Sarah Lee, Syarifah Athirah Al Tirmidhi and Syed Azmi Alhabshi have organized 30 community events in the last year by relying solely on support gathered through social media...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/facebook-pals-collect-200-tons-of-food-for-flood-victims-in-malaysia/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2015 at 3:28am

‘Make a laugh’ captures the hope and sorrow of people living in poverty

Holding his professional camera tightly, Ali Hassan roams the Egyptian slums on a daily basis, aiming to capture the lives of the deprived children, women, and old people living there.

In his photos, he tries to reflect the suffering of those who live below the poverty line – portraying the unbelievable doses of hope, faith and contentment that light up their faces and souls. Under the title “Make a laugh”, he launched his first photography campaign on   Facebook, shedding light on touching human stories that he feels demands attention.

Hassan believes that nothing makes people happier than giving them good photos of themselves. During the photo sessions, he listens to the people’s stories, problems and sufferings.

Hassan prefers to take photos of old people with their worn clothes and wrinkled faces, listening to their remarkable life experiences.

Hassan says he will never forget “Om Mahmoud”, an old lady whose son disappeared during the early days of the revolution. She searched for him everywhere and asked everyone, however, she never found him. Although she suffers from many intractable diseases, she never lost hope to see her son before she dies and she keeps waiting for him in front of her house all day and night, said Hassan.

He also loves photographing children who always find the experience fascinating and ask to see their photos more than once. He likes it when they gather in groups around him as he finds it a good chance to ask them about their interests, talents, and dreams for the future. He always returns to their houses to give them prints of the photos.

“Unfortunately, the security disruptions and the general unrest the country suffers from made the lives of those simple people unbearable. With sewage swamping the streets creating a hotbed for epidemics and diseases, they live in tiny tinplate houses whose doors are made of white curtains or rags with no furniture, no facilities and no fresh water,” he noted.

Hassan knows that making people laugh under such pathetic circumstances is a hard job but he has accepted the challenge. As he believes that making people happy is the main function of different kinds of arts, he thinks that every artist has to use his talent to make those deprived people happy, even if it will last only a few seconds.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/12/11/make-laugh-captures-hope-sorrow-people-living-poverty/
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 19 March 2015 at 7:10pm
Dutch students can live in nursing homes rent-free (as long as they keep the residents company)

NINETY-TWO-YEAR-OLD Johanna beams at the 20-year-old stepping into her room — not a visiting grandson, but rather a housemate at her retirement home.

Town planning student Jurrien is one of six who have chosen to live in the yellow-brick home in Deventer in the eastern Netherlands as part of a unique project that benefits everyone.

The university students pay no rent and in exchange spend at least 30 hours a month with some of the 160 elderly who live here, doing the things professional staff cannot always do — such as just hanging out.

“They go see the pensioners for a chat, they play games, go with them to the shopping centre, (and) do shopping for those who can’t,” says activity coordinator Arjen Meihuizen.

Gea Sijpkes, the head of the Humanitas retirement home, said: “It’s important not to isolate the elderly from the outside world.”

When you’re 96 years old with a knee problem, well, the knee isn’t going to get any better, the doctors can’t do much.

But what we can do is create an environment where you forget about the painful knee.

Preventing care ‘ghettoes’

So-called “intergenerational” projects are also springing up elsewhere in Europe, but usually not within retirement homes because of the shortage of rooms.

In Britain, a commission chaired by a former minister recommended in September that new housing for the elderly and disabled should be incorporated into shopping developments, new apartment blocks and even universities to prevent the elderly from being cut off in “care ghettoes”.

www.thejournal.ie/help-the-aged-1814698-Dec2014
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2015 at 2:43am

Muslim Cabbie Returns Bag Containing £10k

Setting a role model for followers of Islam, a British Muslim has been praised for his honesty after returning a forgotten bag containing £10,000 cash.

"He nearly had a heart attack, he was really worried," Cabbie Mohammed Nisar told Express and Star.

"He came up to me and said 'do you realize what is in that bag?...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/europe/484295-muslim-cabbie-returns-bag-containing-p10k.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2015 at 12:31am

In Qatar, one restaurant lets poor eat for free

DOHA - In a corner of Qatar’s capital, a sign outside a restaurant popular with labourers reads: “If you are hungry and have no money, eat for free!!!”

The 16-seat eaterie in Doha’s Industrial Area of small-scale workshops, factories and low-cost accommodation has decided to offer free food to customers who cannot afford to pay.

The Indian brothers who own Zaiqa restaurant decided to put up the small makeshift sign about three weeks ago.

“When I saw the board I had tears in my eyes,” said one of the owners, Shadab Khan, 47, who is originally from New Delhi, but has lived in Qatar for 13 years...

http://www.thenational.ae/world/middle-east/in-qatar-one-restaurant-lets-poor-eat-for-free

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:47am

Homeless Muslim Saves Drowning Woman in Rome

“I saw her fall from the bridge, I thought she was dead,” Khalifa is heard saying in a video shot by passerby which showed the rescue.

“But (when I reached her) I saw her eyes moving, I thought she could be still alive.”

Italian authorities said the woman, 55, who jumped off the bridge in an apparent suicide attempt that may have been triggered by the end of a love story.

The 55-year-old Israeli was taken to hospital and is in good condition, a spokesman for Italian police in Rome told Haaretz...

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/europe/486105-homeless-muslim-saves-woman-in-rome.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2015 at 9:24am

Crowdfunding a Greek Bailout, Englishman Raises Quarter Million Euro

Donate cash and get Greek goods in return – that’s the idea behind one Englishman’s effort to help Greece during its economic crisis.

More than a quarter million Euros were raised in 14 days with donations from 14,000 people around the world.

The campaign was started by Thom Feeney, a 29-year-old from London, who just wanted to help the embattled people of Greece...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/crowdfunding-for-greek-bailout-raises-over-a-quarter-million-euros/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 July 2015 at 4:40am

Girl Sells $47K in Bracelets to Help Friend With Skin Disease Buy a Pool

Bethany Walker wanted nothing more than to take a dip in the pool with her best friend, Anne Marie Cox, this summer.

But a rare blistering skin condition has kept nine-year-old Anne Marie from being able to swim in the public pools.

Anne Marie’s family dreamed of being able to build a saltwater pool in their own backyard for their daughter—one that would be soothing for her skin— but they couldn’t afford it.

That’s when Bethany stepped in, selling friendship bracelets made from rubber bands in an effort to help the family raise enough money to build the pool.

In just 19 weeks, Bracelets by Bethany raised more than $47,000, enough money for the Cox family to build the saltwater pool, and give their daughter what most kids take for granted  – a cool dip on a hot summer day...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/young-girl-sells-47000-in-bracelets-to-help-friend-with-skin-condition/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2015 at 12:10am

Turkish technology firm boss distributes $27 million to employees after sale

"Some employees cried, some screamed, some wrote letters of thanks"

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-technology-firm-boss-distributes-27-million-to-employees-after-sale.aspx?PageID=238&NID=85951&NewsCatID=345

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2015 at 1:27am

Graduating grandfather, aged 69, celebrates degree after overcoming dyslexia and two strokes

He's overcome dyslexia and two strokes, so graduating from the University of Bristol is a very special moment for grandfather Richard Abraham.

Richard joined his University of Bristol course mates to graduate from a part-time BA English Literature and Community Engagement degree course with a 2.2 after six years of hard work...

http://optimistworld.com/graduating-grandfather-richard-abraham-degree-at-69/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 August 2015 at 8:53am

Town Installs Outdoor Refrigerator so Locals Can Feed the Hungry in Spain

People in the Basque town of Galdakao, Spain, put their leftovers in the fridge — not just the ones in their homes, but the one on the street, too.

The city of about 30,000 created the country’s first communal refrigerator to help the hungry.

Alvaro Saiz, who used to run a food bank in Galdakao, came up with the idea for the “Solidarity Fridge” during the recession when he saw people going through trash bins looking for food. He figured there had to be a better way for restaurants and even individuals to give away unused food...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/town-installs-outdoor-refrigerator-so-locals-can-feed-the-hungry-in-spain/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 21 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version