Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 23 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2017 at 2:40am
Montreal opens métro stations as shelters from cold for the homeless

Montreal’s transit commission is once again allowing homeless people to take refuge from the cold in its subway stations this winter.

President Philippe Schnobb says that while most cities remove homeless people from train and subway stations, the Societe de transport de Montreal takes a different approach...

http://montrealgazette.com/news/national/montreal-transit-commission-opens-metro-subway-stations-to-homeless-for-winter/wcm/702fe165-2e5b-465b-9f7b-472d6f754ca2

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2017 at 2:25am
Oita hotel in Japan to close for 10 days in a row to give employees time off

OITA
- A popular hotel in southwestern Japan will close for 10 straight days in January at a cost of 200 million yen in revenues to give its employees time off, in the belief that the unusual measure will help to secure quality human resources.

Officials at the 647-room Suginoi Hotel in Beppu, one of the world's largest hot spring resorts in Oita Prefecture, said the hotel will be closed from Jan 9 through Jan 18 to allow around 800 staff to take holidays.

"It is difficult to take consecutive days off if you work in the hotel industry," said Kenji Azuma, 69, an official in charge of marketing. "But we have decided to take the hit (to revenue) to improve working conditions and ensure high-quality services." ...

https://japantoday.com/category/business/japan-hotel-to-close-for-10-days-in-row-to-give-employees-time-off

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2017 at 2:49am
An Illinois community raised $500 online in 8 hours to buy a homeless veteran a train ticket to New York, where he can stay with a friend

A group of Troy residents were able to raise more than $500 to get a homeless veteran off the streets and on a bus to New York — all within eight hours through a Facebook post.

Michelle Noyes saw what she thought was a large bag of trash Wednesday as she and her family were driving in Troy. Noyes thought it was odd, and realized it may be a sleeping bag. She told her husband to go through the Dunkin’ Donuts drive through and get a hot chocolate, and they turned back around.

Sure enough, the lump on the ground was a person — a Marine veteran named William Bozman — huddled in a sleeping bag to avoid the frigid, record-breaking cold...

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article192078919.html

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article192078919.html#storylink=cpy..

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 December 2017 at 2:00am
Ontario woman saves bus on her first ride in 25 years

Rebecca Powley hopped on a bus for the first time in 25 years on Thursday. She ended the trip a hero.

The Orillia woman says she was forced to take action after she noticed something unusual about the driver on her Ontario Northland bus trip to Toronto on Highway 401 eastbound near Keele Street.

"We saw his arm was kind of drooped on the floor," she told CBC Toronto on Friday. "He was passed out with his head on the wheel. For a second, I thought he was maybe dead."

Other passengers began to panic. Confusion reigned for Laurie Gennings, who was sitting at the back of the bus...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rebecca-powley-ontario-northland-bus-hero-1.4468212

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2017 at 4:44am
A vending machine for the homeless just launched in the U.K., and will soon debut in U.S. cities

It all goes back to the countless hours Huzaifah Khaled spent on trains and in train stations, shuttling back and forth between his home in Nottingham, England, and classes at the University of Cambridge, some 90 miles away.

“In the U.K., train stations are almost magnets for homeless people,” Khaled said. “When I’d be waiting for trains, walking to and from the train station . . . I came into contact with a lot of them.”

He talked with them, bought them coffee, and over time, developed relationships with them.

“I essentially developed a very deep understanding of their needs,” said Khaled, who recently got his PhD in law. It hit him that, for the homeless, even basic necessities are hard to access, and the limited hours for drop-in services at day shelters meant people had to schedule their days around visits to the shelter, making it hard to hold a stable job or see family regularly.

“I realized that there had to be a more effective way of getting at least the bare necessities to them,” he said...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/12/30/a-vending-machine-for-the-homeless-just-launched-in-the-u-k-and-will-soon-debut-in-u-s-cities/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 January 2018 at 6:40am
Community donates $20,000 to beekeepers after hives destroyed by vandals

(Meredith) – Tori and Justin Engelhardt’s worst fears became a reality when they discovered vandals had broken into their bee farm and killed half a million bees.

According to the Sioux City Journal, the Sioux City couple, who own and operate “Wild Hill Honey,” discovered the destruction on Thursday morning when Justin went to check on the hives. All 50 of their beehives were destroyed, and his supply shed was completely ransacked.

Engelhardt told the Sioux City Journal their situation “looked really hopeless.”

But then, support came pouring in overnight. News of the vandalism spread and many people in the surrounding communities opened their hearts and wallets in support of the Engelhardts. But that doesn’t mean the situation has completely resolved itself.

"We are salvaging what we can," Justin Engelhardt told the Sioux City Journal.

A GoFundMe account was started, and by 2:30 p.m. on Friday, the couple had raised nearly $14,000 from almost 400 donors on their main GoFundMe account. The total they need is $20,000. At the time of this article, the total is slightly more than $18,000.

In addition to their main GoFundMe page, similar accounts were created on behalf of the Engelhardt, bringing the total amount to $20,200...

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37161647/community-donates-20000-to-beekeepers-after-hives-destroyed-by-vandals

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2018 at 2:50am
Bus driver saves infant's life

A bus driver in Turkey's Kocaeli province is hailed as a hero after saving the life of an infant by giving him a cardiac massage, after the family realized the baby stopped breathing.

The incident reportedly took place Jan. 1, when a couple on the Hereke-Umuttepe bus realized their 10-month-old baby Ömer Asaf was not breathing or moving.

Upon hearing the couple's screams, bus driver Hayrettin Şahin stopped the vehicle and applied emergency response procedures by pulling the baby's tongue and gave him heart massage.

"I had received first aid training offered by Kocaeli Municipality and applied the procedures," Şahin said, adding that the baby started breathing after he gave him a cardiac massage...

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2018/01/02/bus-driver-saves-infants-life-in-turkeys-kocaeli-province

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 January 2018 at 3:06am
Kitten Frozen To Boat Dock Saved by Sheriff

MERCER COUNTY, Ky (LEX 18) A stray kitten's paws and fur had gotten stuck to a boat dock after it had fallen in the water. 

The kitten was scared and had been stuck in the cold for hours.

"He had fell in the water and came up on the little piece of rock, just left of the steps and froze right there," said Roy Jasper.

The Jaspers used a camera to see the kitten all the way down on the marina. Roy and Laurie Jasper say that they were worried sick about the kitten after it had gotten stuck and then disappeared. Eleven hours later, he showed up again. The Jaspers called for back up.

"I poured the water on his front feet, and in a few seconds, they did come loose," said Mercer County Sheriff Ernie Kelty. The sheriff continued to cut free the kitten's fur that was also frozen. 

"And then he put him under his shirt, and walked up here and gave him to me. Of course, Laurie took him in and wiped him down with towels. He was solid wet," said Roy Jasper.

Sheriff Kelty said that at first, the kitten had a bit of an attitude.

"But I probably would have too. It seemed like, that he realized I was there to help," he said.

The stray kitten that was once stranded in the cold now has a new home and a heroic name.

"We're naming him after the Sheriff. We're naming him Ernie," said Roy...

http://www.lex18.com/story/37185790/kitten-frozen-to-boat-dock-saved

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2018 at 2:13am
Anonymous woman knits 75 winter hats for those in need

An elderly woman is making sure children stay warm in this bitter cold.

The 87-year-old woman, who wants to remain a mystery, has knitted 75 hats for kids.

“I like doing them. I think it’s fun. I just like to stay in the background,” she said. “Just because it makes me feel good that I can do something for someone.”

She wants no recognition for the 75 hats she has made for kids in need this winter. It takes her a full day to make just one hat and has been hard at work for months before the holidays...

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/anonymous-woman-knits-75-winter-hats-for-those-in-need/674478842

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2018 at 2:15am
Young B.C. brothers rescued after hours lost in deep snow

Search crews are celebrating the rescue of two young brothers from a snow-covered gully outside Vernon, B.C. over the weekend as a "New Year's Eve present."

The boys, ages 6 and 8, disappeared for hours after heading into the woods to find marshmallow roasting sticks on Sunday, triggering a desperate rescue operation that involved search crews, firefighters, police and volunteers.

Given the frigid temperatures, Vernon Search and Rescue manager Coralie Nairn said there was a real urgency to their efforts. By the time the kids were finally located, both were hypothermic...

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/young-b-c-brothers-rescued-after-hours-lost-in-deep-snow-1.3742590

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2018 at 3:52am
Dog goes to the vet himself and knocks on the door for treatment!

Thai media reported that an injured Golden Retriever had gone to the vet himself after getting an eye injury.

The dog was not just waiting outside - apparently he was pawing at the door of the Petto Street clinic in Lam Lukka, Pathum Thani, for help.

Vet Siramanee Wongpitayadisai soon had matters in hand and had the retriever's eye patched up and a device put on to stop the now christened "Jao Den" from scratching himself. 

Now came the job of finding out who the owner was. The vet said that no way was he a stray or a soi dog. as he was trained and not fierce.

They got on a motorcycle to tour the area but when that didn't work the vet posted on Facebook to try and find the owner.

This did the trick and the owner and dog were later reunited - apparently it had got out while the owner was distracted and had clearly hurt itself in the meantime...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1019055-dog-goes-to-the-vet-himself-and-knocks-on-the-door-for-treatment/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2018 at 4:39am
NASA: Hole in Earth's Ozone Layer Finally Closing Up Because Humans Did Something About It

The shrinking hole in the ozone layer has become something of a success story among all the damages humans have inflicted upon the Earth.

A new NASA study based on data from the Aura satellite confirms the success, so far, through measuring the chemicals that caused the hole in the first place. 

The study, published Thursday in Geophysical Research Letters, reveals that a decline in ozone-depleting chemicals has resulted in 20 percent less depletion since 2005. Specifically chlorine levels declined by 0.8 percent each year between 2005 and 2016.

“We see very clearly that chlorine from [chlorofluorocarbons] is going down in the ozone hole, and that less ozone depletion is occurring because of it,” Susan Strahan, lead author and atmospheric scientist from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, said in a statement...

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-hole-earths-ozone-layer-finally-closing-humans-did-something-771922

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2018 at 4:57am
UK Plans Northern Forest of 50 Million New Trees

Northern England is set to get a whole lot greener. On Sunday, the U.K. government unveiled plans for a vast new forest spanning the country from coast to coast. Shadowing the path of the east-west M62 Highway, the new forest will create a broad green rib across England from Liverpool to the east coast city of Hull.

If fully realized along the lines announced this week, the forest will ultimately contain 50 million new trees, stretched in a dense 62,000-acre patchwork along a 120-mile strip. Not only will the forest repopulate one of the least wooded parts of the country with local, mainly broadleaf tree species, it will also provide a band of newly greened landscape to escape to from the many big cities located nearby.

The goal of a thick green ribbon is still a long way off, of course. So far, the government has pledged just an initial £5.7 million of the £500 million needed to fully realize the project. But what’s significant about the plan is that it amps up a transformation that is in fact already underway—it is actually the second major attempt in recent years to re-green the English landscape...

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/01/northern-forest-united-kingdom/550025/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2018 at 2:19pm
Yukon man celebrated for saving neighbor’s home from fire

A Yukon man is being celebrated for saving a home from a fire. Ryan Burke said he’s not a hero, but he was just doing what a neighbor would do.

Burke said that him and his wife were leaving the neighborhood and while they were driving by that’s when they noticed black smoke coming out from the yard.

He jumped the fence and the hose refused to work while the yard was in flames. He tried another hose that was in the backyard but realized it was in the fire, so that wouldn’t help him either...

http://gripsnews.com/yukon-men-celebrated-for-saving-neighbors-home-from-fire

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 23 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version