Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 23 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 December 2015 at 9:46am

Chinese Billionaire Buys 28K Acres of American Forest to Preserve It

The Chinese billionaire behind online shopping giant Alibaba has placed an order for 28,000 acres of pristine, American wilderness – in a $28 million dollar bid to preserve wildlife, fish, and forests in the rugged mountains of the Northeast.

Jack Ma, China’s richest man and a noted conservationist, plans to turn the Brandon Reserve in New York’s Adirondack Mountains into a wildlife sanctuary and protect its timber and water from logging and mining operations in the region...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/chinese-billionaire-buys-28k-acres-of-american-forest-to-preserve-it/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2015 at 7:17am

Elderly Woman Shows Muslim Doctor Some Love After Donald Trump News

It was a small gesture but a Muslim doctor in Idaho said it brought back “a faith in humanity.”

After a 91-year-old patient heard about a politician wanting to ban Muslims from coming to the United States, she showed her doctor how caring America can be — she stood up for her friend.

She crocheted some stuffed animals for Dr. Fahim Rahim, letting him know a lot of Americans are like her: “(We) can feel your pain and what you’re going through.”...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/old-woman-shows-muslim-doctor-some-love-after-donald-trump-news/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 December 2015 at 9:01am

Philadelphia's saint of the streets

Sister Mary Scullion has helped Philadelphia become one of the most effective cities in dealing with homelessness.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2015/1223/Philadelphia-s-saint-of-the-streets

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2015 at 6:08am

Largest Desalination Plant in Western Hemisphere Opens in Thirsty California

A billion dollar desalination plant is turning salt water into drinking water for drought-plagued Southern California.

The Claude “Bud” Lewis Carlsbad Desalination Plant named for the former mayor of Carlsbad, is producing 50 million gallons of fresh water every day south of Los Angeles— enough for 400,000 people. That’s about 10% of the region’s water supply.

Fifteen more plants are under consideration along the California coast.

Water from the Pacific Ocean is pumped through long, cylindrical filters which remove salt, then on to a water treatment plant miles away where it’s added to the rest of the region’s water supply before being piped to customers...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/largest-desalination-plant-in-western-hemisphere-opens-in-thirsty-california/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2015 at 4:11am

Faced With Fear, A Muslim Woman Makes A Stand — By Setting One Up

Mona Haydar is a Muslim — and she wants to talk about it.

So much so, in fact, that she set up a stand outside a library in Cambridge, Mass., with a big sign reading "Ask a Muslim." Along with a free cup of coffee and a doughnut, Haydar offered passersby an opportunity for conversation.

She says the idea occurred to her husband, Sebastian, and her over dinner one evening. As they were eating, she says, Sebastian remarked: "What if we did something kind of crazy?" ...

After the day was done, she posted a summary to Facebook — a post which has now garnered more than 11,000 likes and the attention of several different media organizations.

"We weren't out there that long today but the take away was clear: Keep your heads held high, dear Muslim family," she wrote in that post. "There is an overwhelming amount of love and so remember this post when you are faced with bigotry and hatred towards you or your faith.

"Remember that you have supporters too."

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/27/461124403/faced-with-fear-a-muslim-woman-makes-a-stand-by-setting-one-up?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2015 at 12:08am

Muslim Man Spreads Joy By Delivering Christmas Gifts to Homeless- WATCH

The homeless people of London weren’t expecting gifts on Christmas, and they definitely were not expecting them from a Muslim Santa Claus.

Nubaid Haroon decided to send out a compassionate reminder of his religion’s core tenant this holiday season by wrapping up presents he bought with his own money and delivering them to homeless people on the streets.

His goal was to challenge stereotypes about Muslims – and spread a little Christmas cheer at the same time..

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/muslim-man-spreads-joy-by-delivering-christmas-gifts-for-the-homeless/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 December 2015 at 12:27am

People Respond with Texas-Sized Generosity to Dallas Tornados

“Everything’s bigger in Texas,” the old saying goes, and Texans are demonstrating their hearts are bigger than any storm.

Since December 26 when the Dallas area was hit by tornadoes — some with winds as strong as 200 miles per hour — so many volunteers have come to the rescue that recovery teams have sometimes turned them away because of an over-abundance of help...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/people-respond-with-texas-sized-generosity-to-dallas-tornados/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2015 at 6:25am

Homeless Man Given Job by Home Owner Who Kicked Him Off Property (WATCH)

The new owner of a vacant house asked a homeless squatter on the property to leave, but then returned to offer the polite young man a job — and a room in the house.

James Eppler had been homeless since he was 16 and recently found shelter on the old house’s porch. When Chris Crever bought the property in Portland, Oregon, he confronted Eppler and told him he had to move on...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/homeless-man-offered-job-by-home-owner-who-kicked-him-off-property/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 January 2016 at 12:29am

12-Year-Old Arizona Girl Collects 1,000 Coats for the Homeless

"I just want people to know someone cares about them"

A 12-year-old Arizona girl spent her holiday season collecting coats for those in need.

Makenna Breading-Goodrich dropped off about 1,000 items at Phoenix Rescue Mission Shelter on Dec. 12, after going door-to-door collecting coats, jackets and hoodies for the homeless. The seventh-grader told People that she wants to help those in need keep warm for the winter.

“It gets really cold around here at night, like 30 degrees, and I want to make sure homeless people aren’t walking around without jackets or blankets at night!” Makenna said. “I just want people to know someone cares about them.”

She has been taking donations for four years through an organization she started, called Makenna’s Coats for a Cause. Each November, she begins traveling her neighborhood in Surprise, Ariz., collecting jackets on her red wagon.

“Something small can make a big difference,” she told People. “I want this to spread. A little kindness can inspire others!”

http://time.com/4165341/arizona-girl-coats-homeless/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2016 at 11:19am

City of Austin, Texas, working to house all homeless veterans by 2016

Affordable housing is hard to find in Austin with occupancy rates through the roof. Also finding landlords willing to take city vouchers and rent their property out for $800 or less a month.

Despite the city of Austin’s struggle to house all of the homeless veterans, the Texas Homeless Network said homelessness is down across the state by 17-percent.

United States Marine Corps Veteran Gary Robinson started off the year living out of his car. Fast forward 12 months and now Gary just graduated from Austin Community College and started work as an automotive technician. He said his biggest accomplishment was finding a place he can now call home...

http://klfy.com/2015/12/31/city-of-austin-texas-working-to-house-all-homeless-veterans-by-2016/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 January 2016 at 2:59am
160 abandoned Apartments being remodeled in Ohio by volunteers for homeless

Volunteers in Campbell began remodeling two apartments on Delmar Avenue on Saturday for veterans that don’t have a home.

Four veterans will be moving into them, rent free, once they’re done. The goal of the project is to help the veterans get on their feet. After that, the next step is moving them into permanent housing once they are more stable.

Iron Soup Historical Preservation is an organization that works to remodel abandoned homes in Campbell. They have invested thousands of dollars on these two apartments to not only help veterans, but to make historical neighborhoods more attractive.

The neighborhood was full of modern apartments almost 100 years ago. Now the plan is to turn the nearly 160 apartments around, and build a veteran community...

http://klfy.com/2016/01/03/youngstown-area-apartments-being-remodeled-for-homeless-veterans/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2016 at 1:35am

Breakthrough Smart Watch Converts Text and Email into Braille

The Dot Watch, which turns text messages into braille for the blind, is being celebrated as the first major innovation for visually impaired readers in nearly 15 years.

After seeing a blind classmate lugging around a heavy braille bible, which contained only five percent of the contents of the holy book, Eric Ju Yoon Kim was surprised that nothing like a Braille iPad existed.

So the University of Washington student set out to invent one...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/feel-this-smart-watch-convert-text-and-email-into-braille/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2016 at 4:41am

A Random Act of Kindness Caught on Camera Leads a Homeless Man to Shelter

This photo tells the story of an act of kindness credited with finding a homeless man a place to stay in the cold of winter.

A sheriff’s deputy spotted an unidentified homeless man alone in the cold midwestern weather. Sergeant Depuy gave the man a ride to a nearby McDonald’s, where he asked the staff to let him stay inside to get warm.

Alex Fischbach was watching the scene when he said the lawman pulled some money out of his pocket and told the homeless man to buy something to eat.

“The man tried to refuse but the officer said, ‘I’m not asking you to take it, I’m telling you to take it.’” Fischbach wrote on his Facebook page.

Fischbach says the two shook hands before the officer left. He snapped a photo as the sergeant left, and says he was touched that the officer wasn’t looking for “gratitude or recognition.”...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/a-random-act-of-kindness-caught-on-camera-leads-a-homeless-man-to-shelter/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2016 at 3:36am

Clothing Pantry on Wheels Delivers Winter Gear to Cold Folks on the Street

A big, purple bus is keeping people warm during a bitter cold New York winter–even when it has no seats on the inside.

A church in Buffalo has turned it into a mobile clothing pantry for delivering gloves, hats, and other cold weather gear to people on the streets...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/clothing-pantry-on-wheels-brings-winter-gear-to-cold-folks-on-streets/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 23 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version