Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 25 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2016 at 1:55am

Libraries Install Exercise Bikes So College Students Can Study and Work Out

Alabama’s Troy University is stepping up their exercise game, big time.

Work out bikes with laptop stands have been installed at the Troy and Dothan campus libraries so students can exercise and study at the same time...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/university-libraries-install-exercise-bikes-students-can-study-work/

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 06 March 2016 at 1:57am
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2016 at 3:16am

Vince Gill Helped Pack Up 100,000 Meals to Feed Hungry

Country singer Vince Gill’s “Next Big Thing” is helping stopping world hunger in some of the most vulnerable corners of the globe.

Gill was one of about 500 volunteers who interrupted their weekend to pack 100,000 meals for shipping overseas to people facing hunger.

The Nashville, Tennessee-based non-profit Stop Hunger Now, created in 2006, has packaged more than 50 million meals and sent them to hungry populations around the world. Their goal is to send 1.1 million meals to people who need them this year...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/vince-gill-hunger-volunteer-100kmeals/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2016 at 1:49am

Turkish Town Does So Much for Syrian Refugees It’s Up for Nobel Peace Prize

A new video report on the town of Kilis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W22l5vxeOok

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2016 at 1:55am

Tesco to give all unsold food to charity after finalising deal

Tesco has agreed a deal to donate all the unsold food from its stores to charity. 

The supermarket giant announced plans to work with 5,000 local charities across the UK in an initiative that aims to eradicate all its food waste by the end of 2017. 

It said the plan followed a "farm to fork" commitment to tackle food waste by its suppliers.

The latest figures released by the company show 55,400 tonnes of food were thrown away at its stores and distribution centres across the country in 2015. 

The plan is part of a nationwide roll-out of a 14-store pilot programme called the Community Food Connection. 

The project, which lasted over six months, has provided more than 22 tonnes of food for vulnerable people - the equivalent of 50,000 meals...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-to-give-all-unsold-food-to-charity-after-finalising-deal-a6925971.html

Well-done Tesco

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 March 2016 at 11:22am

Islamic School In UK’s Top 100 for Third Year

For the third year in a row, Preston Muslim Girls’ High School has been placed in the top 100 schools nationally, achieving a hat-trick remarkable success.

“At PMGHS (Preston Muslim Girls’ High School) we don’t just aim for the stars, we reach them; we don’t just expect our pupils to reach their targets, we want them to exceed them,” delighted headteacher Mufti Javid, told Lancashire Evening Post on Thursday, March 17.

“We want our girls to be better than they ever thought they could be to be more than they ever thought was possible.”

Javid congratulated all students and their parents on their hard work and success.

“We have high expectations at PMGHS and these pupils have had to work hard for what they have achieved,” he said.

“I am certain that the excellent progress they have made, their outstanding GCSE results and their all-round education will equip them well for future successes.

“A special thanks to all of the staff, governors and parents as well. We know how important this partnership is ensuring that our pupils do well. As our students move on to further education, training and employment we know that the skills, knowledge and experiences that they have gained from attending this highly commended school have provided an invaluable bedrock for their future success. We wish them all well.”

For years, independent Islamic schools remained at the top score of UK GCSE results, setting example for faith schools as successful, highly-achieving and inspiring educational institutes in Britain.

The Muslim schools overall average of students who received 5 or more A*- C grade GCSEs, including English & Maths, exceeded the national average with 9 schools achieving a 100% success rate – only 55 schools achieved the 100% landmark in the whole of the UK...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/europe/islamic-school-achieves-success-third-year/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 March 2016 at 2:42am

French woman aged 91 gets PhD after 30 years

Colette Bourlier, who awarded a high distinction for her thesis on immigrant workers, said it took so long because she ‘took breaks’

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/16/french-woman-aged-91-gets-phd-after-30-years

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2016 at 11:57pm

Ex-Homeless Man Gives $10K to High School After 2 Teens Buy Him Ticket Home

A former homeless man’s $10,000 gift will inspire and reward random acts of kindness for years to come, thanks to two Illinois teens.

The generosity and compassion shown to Wade Herter by a pair of high school boys was never forgotten. Herter was a homeless drifter, freezing and alone in a blizzard three years ago when the two seniors helped him.

Ryan Kodat and Luke Arnold found him some warm clothes and a jacket and purchased a train ticket that would let him see his father. They never expected anything in return, but Herter has always wanted to do something special to thank them.

When his father passed away, Herter was stunned to learn that he’d left behind a $1.2 million estate. It helped Herter get back on his feet and move to California where he writes while doing film work and stand-up comedy.

Herter kept thinking about the students who helped him get home during the blizzard, and decided to thank them by giving a gift to their school in Dwight, Illinois...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/former-homeless-man-gives-10000-high-school-students-helped/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2016 at 8:37am

Indian Restaurant Installs Sidewalk Fridge to Hold Free Food for the Poor

One restaurant in India is making a difference for the hungry population of Kerala.

The tea café Pappadavada has installed a 24-hour running refrigerator open to those in need of a meal. The restaurant’s Facebook page issued a message to their followers asking them to help stock the fridge with any leftovers they can spare...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/indian-restaurant-installs-free-food-fridge-hungry/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2016 at 2:57pm

Jumbo Donair restaurant gets big boost from small gesture

Customers fill restaurant after Maher Taweel's good deed goes viral

Maher Taweel was shocked to open his Edmonton donair shop on Tuesday to a crowd of new customers. The reason? His small act of kindness.

"Everyone just came to say 'Thank you. You're a good man'," Taweel said Tuesday afternoon.

It was the busiest his restaurant, Jumbo Donair on 66th Street, has been since he opened two years ago, he said.

He owes it all to one tiny gesture.

On Monday, a young man came into Taweel's shop, but couldn't afford to buy anything.

"He said to me 'I am so hungry. I need some food'," Taweel said. "I said 'Of course man. What would you like?' "

He sent the man off with a heaping plate of poutine and didn't think anything of it. But another customer saw the whole thing and posted it on Facebook...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jumbo-donair-restaurant-gets-big-boost-from-small-gesture-1.3511510

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2016 at 3:58am

Australian invents Sleepbus – a bus that provides homeless people (and their pets) a safe place to sleep

Australian entrepreneur Simon Rowe has designed the “Sleepbus” which promises to give more than 8 000 homeless people a place to sleep for the night each year.

The bus will help ease the strain on homeless shelters and hostels by providing a mobile service featuring 22 sleep pods, toilets, lockers and...

http://rebooti.com/australian-invents-sleepbus-a-bus-that-provides-homeless-people-and-their-pets-a-safe-place-to-sleep/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2016 at 1:43am

Pilot Aborts Take-Off So Grandparents Can Bid Farewell To Dying Grandson

A pilot delayed a flight that was about to take-off so that an elderly couple on board could get to their dying grandson’s bedside.

The pensioners, who were travelling to Australia from Manchester Airport, received news that he was in intensive care as the plane was taxying. 

But after the pair alerted the cabin crew, the kind-hearted pilot made the bold decision to make a U-turn on the runway. 

The couple were able to disembark, while helpful Etihad Airways staff found their car and had it waiting. 

They were able to make it to hospital to spend their last moments with their grandson, who tragically died the next day...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pilot-aborts-take-off-so-grandparents-can-bid-073256663.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2016 at 11:57am

Girls school alums raise $185K to say farewell to retiring security guard

For thousands of girls who attended The Hockaday School for the past 30 years, Kifleab Tekle was one of the first people they remembered meeting in preschool or kindergarten.

The genial security officer also was among the last who bid them farewell upon graduation from the Dallas, Texas, private school...

The original plan was for the Class of 2005 to give him a $2,005 check. 

But once word spread about the GoFundMe account they had set up, alumnae from other years wanted to pitch in, along with parents and even current students.

By Monday, when the school had a private farewell ceremony for Tekle, the fund had raised more than $185,000.

Nearly 2,000 people made contributions...

http://www.today.com/news/girls-school-alums-raise-185k-say-farewell-retiring-security-guard-t86446

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2016 at 9:14am

Instead of buying a yacht, this person is sending an entire kindergarten class to college

26 kindergarten students at Rio Vista Elementary School in the US State of California have just had their educational futures guaranteed by a stranger.

Marty Burbank and his wife Seon are pledging to fund 2 years of community college and 2 years at a California State University or the equivalent amount for a University of each students’ choice...

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/instead-of-buying-a-yacht-this-person-is-paying-fo/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2016 at 6:45am

Canadian Restaurant Offers Free Meals To Anyone Who Can’t Afford To Pay

Parkash Chhibber, owner of Indian Fusion in Edmonton, Canada, has posted a sign on the establishment’s back door promising free meals for anyone who needs one. The sign reads:

“Dear Friends, If you are hungry and have no money to pay, just ring the bell below or come in for a free meal box/coffee any time.”

He offers a vegetarian option as well as meat dishes and every day has fed up to 15 people.

Chhibber says it’s a way to give back to the community after a 1992 accident left him with broken bones and unable to work.

“I went from king to beggar in one night,” he told CBC News. “I always had fire in me that if ever I had a chance to help, I would.”

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/canadian-restaurant-offers-free-meals-anyone-cant-afford-pay/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 25 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version