Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events  
Message Icon Topic: Uplifting News From Around the World Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:34pm

Strangers on a train: GO riders unite to help Syrian family get to their destination

Some 50 people came together to 'do the right thing'

When Valerie Taylor spotted a family of newcomers looking lost in the hustle and bustle of rush hour at Toronto's main Union Station on Wednesday, she offered to help them find their train. What she didn't know was that some 50 people would do the same, on a day that would turn out to be one of her most memorable trips home ever.

Taylor, a psychiatrist at Toronto's Women's College Hospital, said she was heading home on Wednesday after what had been a hectic few days. The heat was blazing, she was tired and looking forward to getting home, when she spotted a family of seven with two baby strollers and several heavy bags.

They looked confused, she said, and a young woman was trying to help them.

Taylor went over to see if she could lend a hand.

"Are you new here?" she asked. Only one of the children, who said he was 11, could speak much English.

"Yes," he said. They had just arrived from Syria four months ago, he told her, and were looking to get to Ancaster, about 85 kilometres southwest of Toronto, to spend a few days with family there...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/go-train-riders-help-syrian-family-lost-1.3691281

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2016 at 11:49am

Historic Solar Flight Shows Promise and Challenge of Clean Energy

Completing the first trip around the world exclusively on solar power, the experimental Solar Impulse shows what’s possible in energy and flight.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/solar-impulse-completes-trip-around-world-abu-dhabi-solar-power-airplane/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2016 at 6:46am

Humble and reluctant hero saves eight people from a burning home

Junction man woke sleeping residents to tell them house was burning

On July 24, just after 5:45am, Dearman was just returning with a few dollars in recyclables to his home on Dundas Street West. Looking south just as the sun was about to rise on the horizon, he saw smoke billowing into the sky from a house on Runnymede. He left his stuff there on the sidewalk and ran.

Griffith-Greene and Lloyd were asleep in their apartment on the top floor. The house is divided into five apartments in which nine people live. Eight of them were home that morning, all of them sound asleep...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/30/heart-of-gold-hero-saves-eight-lives-in-the-junction-keenan.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2016 at 8:04am

Maryland floods: Heroic men save woman from car using human chain

Video has emerged showing a group of men form a human chain in order to rescue a woman trapped in her car during flash floods in Maryland.

Out of shot, a man is washed away as he tries to reach the car, leading to four men making a human chain to rescue the woman.

After initial difficulty getting out of the car window, she manages to escape and is rescued...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/maryland-floods-heroic-men-save-woman-from-car-using-human-chain-a7166016.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2016 at 8:45am

Syrian Refugee’s Act of Kindness Goes Viral

TEXAS – A video showing a Syrian refugee helping a local woman, who was trying to sell an important gold necklace, has gone viral, after choosing to help her with his own money.

“It seemed like she was sad and there were tears in her eyes,” Noah, who does not want his last name used, told CBS DFW on Tuesday, August 2.

Noah met the woman earlier in July when she was trying to sell an important, gold necklace given to her by her mother.

Asking her why she wanted to sell it, she told him she was broke, and in need of money for bills.

“I let her tell me how much she wanted to sell it and I gave her exactly what money she wanted,” said Noah.

At this moment, he opened his own wallet, giving the woman a considerable sum of money.

The incident was captured on security cameras.

“I didn’t think about it, I just grabbed the money. I grabbed the money and gave it to her,” said Noah.

“If I had her number I would call her back and see if she needed more money or more help, I’ll do it for her,” said Noah.

The video showed the woman astonished and began to embrace Noah, wiping tears from her eyes...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/syrian-refugees-act-kindness-goes-viral/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 August 2016 at 2:20pm

Italian police cook elderly couple pasta after neighbours hear crying

Four policemen cooked pasta for an elderly couple after their loneliness and television news caused them such distress they were overheard crying.

Eighty-four-year-old Jole and 94-year-old Michele told police that no one had visited them in months and they were desperately saddened by the state of the world.

Yet in a rare break from fighting crime in one of Italy's best-known tourist - and mafia - hotspots, four policemen called to their door stopped to comfort them by cooking them up some of the country's most famous exports: pasta and parmesan...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pasta-italian-police-elderly-couple-crying-neighbours-rome-a7178691.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2016 at 4:14am

Veteran Homelessness Has Dropped 50% Since 2010

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) today announced the number of veterans experiencing homelessness in the United States has been cut nearly in half since 2010.

The data revealed a 17 percent decrease in veteran homelessness between January 2015 and January 2016—quadruple the previous year’s annual decline—and a 47 percent decrease since 2010.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/veteran-homelessness-dropped-50-since-2010/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 August 2016 at 5:23am

Chefs dish up surplus food from Olympic Village to Rio's hungry

LONDON, Aug 5 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - As athletes warm up for the start of the Rio Olympics on Friday, dozens of chefs are preparing for a different kind of challenge: feeding the Brazilian host city's hungry with excess food from the Olympic Village.

Chefs David Hertz from Brazil and Italian Massimo Bottura, aided by more than 40 colleagues from around the world, aim to turn surplus food from the village in Rio de Janeiro into some 5,000 nutritious meals per day for those in need.

The initiative, RefettoRio Gastromotiva, follows a similar project, Refettorio Ambrosiano, launched by the two chefs during the Milan Expo in Italy last year.

"RefettoRio Gastromotiva is going to work only with ingredients that are about to be wasted ... like ugly fruit and vegetables, or yoghurt that is going to be wasted in two days if you don't buy it," Hertz told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Those benefiting will be disadvantaged people, including the homeless and others in need, he added.

"We want to fight hunger and provide access to good food," Hertz said in a telephone interview from Rio...

http://news.trust.org/item/20160805140146-x0u1x/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2016 at 2:12am

After devastating Louisiana flood, Acadiana Red Cross asks residents to stop bringing donations because they received so much they ran out of room to store any more

Red Cross officials are asking residents to stop bringing donations to the shelter at the Heymann Center on South College Road.

Residents have been so generous, there is no longer any room, officials say. They have received clothing, personal items and food, and are so stocked up they have no room for any more donations...

http://www.katc.com/story/32754869/red-cross-no-more-donations-needed-in-lafayette

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 August 2016 at 8:59am

99-year-old woman graduates from college

Few college graduates have seen what Doreetha Daniels has seen.

At 99 years old, Daniels has lived through a number of watershed moments in American history, including the Great Depression, World War II, the Civil Rights movement, the moon landing and the rise of the Digital Age.

All of these events pale in comparison to what happened on Friday.

In what she describes as the gratifying moment of her life, Daniels graduated from College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, Calif., with an associate degree in social sciences...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/08/99-year-old-woman-graduates-from-college/28701339/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2016 at 1:07pm

“That girl is the Olympic spirit,” American runner helps competitor, completes race with injured ankle

Just over 3,000 meters into a semifinal of the women’s 5,000 meter race, two runners got tangled up and fell to the track.

As New Zealand’s Nikki Hamblin tripped and fell to the track, Abbey D’Agostino from the United States couldn’t avoid the collision.

After falling to the ground, D’Agostino  helped Hamblin to her feet in order to continue the race...

http://kfor.com/2016/08/16/that-girl-is-the-olympic-spirit-american-runner-helps-competitor-completes-race-with-injured-ankle/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2016 at 6:42am

'I love them and they love me'- 1,000 heartbroken locals sign petition to halt the transfer of popular shop manager

Muhammad Sajjad (34) who moved to Ireland from Pakistan in 2004 worked at the Centra store in East Wall in Dublin for more than a decade before he was transferred.

“The people signed the petition because I love them and they love me,” Muhammad told Independent.ie.

“I was very surprised and delighted when I heard about the petition. I’m black and Pakistani but the community don’t see me for my colour or my country. I love them and they love me so they wanted me back.

“It’s normal for me to be moved from one Centra to another at any stage but the community wanted me back so they rang my boss and gave him a petition of over 1,000 signatures."

Muhammad said he hopes to return to the Centra at East Wall in the next two weeks, as soon as a replacement is found for him in the new store...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-love-them-and-they-love-me-1000-heartbroken-locals-sign-petition-to-halt-the-transfer-of-popular-shop-manager-34963885.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2016 at 3:35am

Birmingham Central Mosque Sets up Permanent Food Bank to Help City's Homeless

After Christmas, the Birmingham-based foundation, set up by Begum's family in the memory of her visionary local activism alleviating poverty, got in touch to ask how they could help.

The mosque committee decided they needed a unit for storing food products and a place where people would feel comfortable, and hit on the idea of a Port-A-Cabin in the grounds.

The permanent goods and food bank was officially opened on Thursday with a ribbon cutting from Lord Mayor Carl Rice.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/birmingham-central-mosque-has-set-up-a-permanent-food-bank-to-help-the-citys-homeless--Zkgl7Tn1tPW

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 August 2016 at 4:14am

Katie Couric cut her salary at CBS by $1M to save others’ jobs

Katie Couric cut her salary by $1 million when she was anchoring “CBS Evening News” to save others’ jobs at the network.

Agent Alan Berger recalls in “Powerhouse: The Untold Story of Hollywood’s Creative Artists Agency” that “in the third year of Katie’s tenure . . . upcoming budget cuts would involve significant layoffs . . . from senior-level producers to young associate producers — all key contributors to the production of the daily newscast.”

He adds that after Couric met with Sean McManus, CBS News president at the time, “Katie decided . . . to take matters into her own hands” and “voluntarily, and quietly, agreed to cut her CBS salary by over $1 million, creating a savings to preserve the jobs of her associates on the broadcast.”...

http://pagesix.com/2016/08/20/katie-couric-cut-her-salary-at-cbs-by-1m-to-save-others-jobs/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version