Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: why would music be haram?(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 5 Next >>
newsistahislam  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Topic: why would music be haram?
    Posted: 30 April 2005 at 4:21pm
Asalaamu Alikum
   I am apart of another forum where they are discussing why listning to music is Haram. I am not sure i agree and i have talked with a freind who feels the same as I. I would like to know what all of you think.
   Thank you and salaam

Edited by newsistahislam
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
mollythedolly  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:36pm
My humble opinion about music (I still listen to quite a bit right or wrong) 

CONTENT< CONTENT......  If you do listen to music beware the content of the lyrics and the effect the beat has on you...  If it has an effect on you that isn't good or the words are suggestive then beware it could and probably will have your mind wandering where you don't want it too..   At the moment I mostly listen to my daughters music to censure her choices... ( I also read all her books, watch all her tv shows and movies before she is allowed to watch)  She knows when she burns herself a CD then I listen to it before she get to use it and if there is any curse words or objectional subject matter the CD is broken and she has to start over.   I don't know if it halal or haram  but this is the way its dealt with in this house hold...

Harriscat  
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:40pm

Personally I think all music is good apart for amercanised rap music!

Your Brother In Islam,

Charles

Islamaholic
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:46pm

apart for amercanised rap music

you get good Islamic raps too in America, ever heard of Native Deen?

masalam

Mainul_Islam  
Graduate
Graduate
Forum Rating: 239
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:50pm
i think music can be both good and bad. an example of bad music is rap music, like br. Charles said.  all i hear in rap music is either about killing, about partying, or about sex....and in 99% of the songs they curse.. i used to listen to rap (like last year, when i wasnt being such a good Muslim), but now i am able to stop...when i listen to music, i just listen to some of the old songs i have on my computer (i dont download anymore since i hear ppl getting sued), rock, pop, sometimes calm type of music, and maybe somewhere along the category with "trance n techno"
LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH! THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD!
Mainul_Islam  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Islamaholic

apart for amercanised rap music

you get good Islamic raps too in America, ever heard of Native Deen?

masalam

"Islamic" rap...? ok i cant imagine that..

akarim  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:52pm

if you get a chance, download "North" by Paul Mounsey. I reackon you'll like it.

I can email it to anyone who wants it

Islamaholic
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 5:56pm

i dont know about their authenticity but if you want check these out then go ahead:

www.deenyouknow.com

www.nativedeen.com

ma-asalam

cgde1981  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by Mainul_Islam

"Islamic" rap...? ok i cant imagine that..

It exists.  I got this link from another forum.

http://www.muslimhiphop.com/forum/index.php?act=home

newsistahislam  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 6:08pm
   I am glad to see that other people feel close to the way I do. Except for the part about Islamic rap. There is alot of good Islamic Rap out there. Like www.remarkablecurrent.com, of course Native Deen, www.Muslimhiphop.org, Sons of Hagar. MYNA raps is also a good site to check out beacuse, they don't use any wind instruments. I love music and I feel that it is a great gift from Our Creator. If you listen to nature you find lots of "music"; birds, cricketts, wind, the ocean, etc..
Thank you for your replies
Salaam
cgde1981  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by newsistahislam

I love music and I feel that it is a great gift from Our Creator. 

My feelings precisely. As an individual who was trained in classical piano for 10 years and takes time to play after exams just for peace of mind, I wanted to  when I first learned that music was considered haram. I think it was molly who said "Content, content, content." I am not a huge fan of music with lyrics unless the message is positive/uplifting to all. I tend to be more of an instrumental music type of person...reason being, I am fascinated with the science behind music. Some people may simply hear a song, whereas I hear rhythm and the "voices" (tenor, alto, soprano, bass, treble, etc.). People think I am crazy for feeling like this .

I never appreciated the complexities and the formula behind music until taking a music theory course in undergrad. I was then even more able to understand music as being a gift from God. Certainly, humans alone could not make a cadence at the end of a piece so flawless.

*I got carried away again....sorry y'all...*

Mainul_Islam  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 6:53pm

salam,

"Some people may simply hear a song, whereas I hear rhythm and the "voices" (tenor, alto, soprano, bass, treble, etc.)." actually I like music because of its rhythm more than what the lyrics is about, too.

Mainul_Islam  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 7:02pm
ok im having a negative attitude towards the "Islamic" rap and hiphop, can sum1 send me a sample for me to hear? i cant understand how some rap music can be Islamic, when muslims should try to mimic our Prophet (pbuh)
iwasthere  
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 01 May 2005 at 1:45am

Why would music be haram? Because it moves a person away from Allah Most Great. A verse in the Quran, I do not know its exact location, characterizes the worship of those people who are ignorant of Allah as the mere clapping of hands and blowing of whistles (consider Christian worship ceremonies). We live in a world today that is saturated with music and its celebration: this is pleasing only to the shaitan (devil) and his followers. Further, consider that music was never pursued, condoned or accepted by our pious predecessors. Finally, among the followers of the dajjal will be those who practice and associate with music and musical instruments.

but Allah know's best
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version