Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Spiritual Pearls of Wisdom of Ibn `Atta' Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Spiritual Pearls of Wisdom of Ibn `Atta'
    Posted: 07 September 2015 at 2:05am

How to enjoy God's Company?

What to do to lead a blessed life with a continuous impact?

What is the reality of humbleness?

How to deal with people's praise and faults?

These questions and many others are part of the test we go through every day in this life.

To pass this test, a spiritually healthy heart is a must.

Having such heart and keeping it pure and receptive of the light of guidance is by no means an easy task.

In our fast-paced materialistic world, it is easy to get off the track and fall prey to endless temptations. It is a significant challenge that requires watchful monitoring and continuous maintenance.

"Ibn `Atta's Pearls of Wisdom" is an inspiring spiritual journey that touches on many concepts and elements necessary for our spiritual life.

1- On Repentance and Hope

"If you find yourself having less hope in God when you make a mistake, then realize you are only relying on your work, not on God’s Mercy"

Explained by Dr. Jasser here:

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/practical-programs/451811-ibn-ataas-words-of-wisdom-1.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 September 2015 at 3:39am
2- Man's Will and Veils of Destiny 

A human will, however strong it is, can never pierce through the veils of destiny.

We started our spiritual journey to God with a word of wisdom that guides us to put our hope in God's Mercy and that our hope should not be affected by committing mistakes.

God is so merciful that He forgives any sin as long as there is a sincere repentance.

Sometimes when one starts a new leaf he is full of aspiration and enthusiasm. He tries to change himself, his society, and the whole universe over one night. He may also do his best to acquire knowledge or do something good without paying attention to what Ibn `Ata'illah called "the veils of destiny"...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/practical-programs/451990-ibn-ataa-on-dominance-of-gods-universal-laws.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2015 at 1:14am
3- Do You Truly Rely on God?

"Save yourself from worrying. Somebody else already took care of your affairs for you."

Relying on Allah (tawakkul) is one of the important Islamic concepts that may be misunderstood and therefore might lead to undesirable results.

This misunderstanding might also lead to some forms of deviation and introducing innovations in religion. Likewise, it might result in a state of failure in both religious affairs and worldly affairs.

When you leave worldly affairs to unreliable people, neglect the means, or quit your work completely, you are deviating from the path of relying on Allah and practicing apathy (tawaakul) not relying on Allah (tawakkul)...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/452230-relying-on-god-properly.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2015 at 4:57am
4- Sincerity to God

"Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity"

Sincerity to Allah is more fundamental than relying on Allah, since it has to do with a deeper level of faith in Him, Most High.

Yet, it was important to affirm our relying on Allah and hope in His Mercy, before discussing sincerity. This is because pure sincerity to Allah is so subtle and so hard to achieve without much hope in Allah's Grace and strong reliance on Him...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/452564-ibn-atta-on-sincerity-to-god.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2015 at 12:42am
5-  Reflection: A Marvelous Form of Worship

"Bury yourself in the land of anonymity.

A seed that is never buried underground will never produce.

There is nothing more beneficial to the heart than an isolation that allows it to enter a state of reflection."

those who reflect on the universe calling to their minds the Creator of the universe, or reflect on the heavens and the earth calling to their minds the Maker of the heavens and the earth, their reflection will eventually lead them to admit in their hearts "You have not created this without meaning and purpose."

Reflection will make them stand in awe of God, therefore they pray to God: {Keep us safe, then, from suffering through fire!} (Aal `Imran 3:16).

Thus reflection has a significant influence on the heart...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/452676-isolation-and-reflection.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2015 at 5:41am
6- Cleaning Up Before Beautification
"How can the mirror of the heart shine if the material images are covering it?
How can the heart journey to God if it is chained by its desires?
How can the heart ever hope to enter the Divine Presence if it has not purified itself from its forgetfulness?"

There are some conditions and etiquette related to isolation and entering the state of reflection as mentioned in the previous stop.

If one abides by such conditions, he can attain the Divine spiritual lights and his heart shines as Ibn `Ataa'illah describes it in the word of wisdom under discussion.

Before beautifying the heart with lights and virtues, it has to be cleaned up from flaws and shortcomings...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/453017-cleaning-up-before-beautification.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 September 2015 at 7:02am
7- Seizing One's Time
"Postponing good deeds until you have free time is an indication of an immature soul."
In other words, there is nothing called "I do not have time."

The deeds we are talking about such as prayers, remembering God, reflection, all need time. However, sometimes one postpones them and says "I will do them tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or next Ramadan."

Ibn `Ata'illah describes this attitude as an indication of an immature soul, i.e. this person is demonstrating a folly of the self because you can do everything you want to do if you have a strong will and time will help you a lot...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/453982-seizing-time.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2015 at 11:33pm
8-  Difficulties: True Character of the World
"Do not be surprised when difficulties happen in this worldly abode. It is only revealing its true character and identity."
If the servant of Allah repents to Him, relies on Him, purifies his intention to Him, reflects on Him, and seizes the time, the light of faith will shine in his heart and his journey will draw closer to Allah.

In any case, as Ibn `Ataa had said, "there is no real distance between you and Him so that you embark upon a journey. And the connection between you and Him is not cut so that you seek to mend it"...

However, it is one of Allah's consistent and universal laws that when Allah loves someone, He will test him with trials in this world...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454120-patience-with-tests.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2015 at 11:52pm
9-  Perfecting the Beginings
“A sign of success in the end is to refer to Allah in the beginning.

If there is no sunrise in the beginning, there is no sunrise in the end.”

A servant journeying to Allah, who is passing through difficult tests and heading to horizons of peace and tranquility, always thinks of new good deeds that advance him/her along his/her journey.

This word of wisdom teaches us here another universal law: Perfecting the basis and the start of any new project, almost guarantees the desired outcomes in the end.

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454209-perfecting-the-beginnings.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2015 at 9:59am
10-  Discovering One's Flaws
Trying to discover the flaws within you is better than trying to discover the worlds hidden from you.
One may start his journey to Allah the right way. But unfortunately, he might feel self-conceit or feel that he is doing Allah a favor and forget the very fact that he/she has many flaws.

After setting the rules of how to perfect the beginning of a new phase in the journey, Ibn `Ataa says: "Trying to discover the flaws within you is better than trying to discover the worlds hidden from you".

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454286-discovering-ones-flaws.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 September 2015 at 12:16pm
11-  Self Criticism
The origin of every sin, forgetfulness, and lust is in being self-righteous, and the origin of every good deed, awareness, and chastity is in being self-critical.
The origin of flaws in general – whether they are sins, forgetfulness or lusts – is a false feeling of self-righteousness.

Many people tell themselves: "I am really good! And I am doing good deeds too Look at others. They are lost, but I am guided. They are evil and I am fine. I do not have to worry".

But Allah Almighty says:

{Nay! I call to witness the Day of Resurrection! But nay! I call to witness the accusing voice of a human's own conscience!}.(Al-Qiyamah 75: 2)

The accusing voice of a human's own conscience is something great enough for Allah to call as a witness! ...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454367-self-criticism.html?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 September 2015 at 1:09am
12-  Good Friends

Do not befriend someone who does not elevate you with his state, or guide you to Allah with his speech.

It could be that you are doing evil, yet you think that you are doing good, because you are comparing yourself to your friend who is worse than you.

Throughout our journey to Allah we have learned how to search for our flaws.

We also learned that the origin of every sin, forgetfulness, and lust is in being self-righteous, and the origin of every good deed, awareness, and chastity is in being self-critical.

Likewise, we have learned that one should be like the accusing voice of conscience, which Allah called to witness in the Qur’an...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454463-good-friends.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2015 at 1:54am
13-  Keeping Up with Mentioning Allah

{Do not stop mentioning Allah just because your heart is not present.

Forgetting Him completely is worse than being inattentive while you are mentioning Him; perhaps He will elevate you from being inattentive to being attentive, and from being attentive to being fully present with Him, and from being fully present with Him to being fully absent from anything but Him. {This is not difficult for Allah}} (Fatir 35 :17).

Along the path of our journey, we are still going though the stage of clearing up, searching for our flaws and attempting to get rid of them.

This word of wisdom tackles a serious flaw of the soul which is ‘forgetfulness’; that is, the lack of the remembrance of Allah.

We often fall to this mistake throughout the day, and the way-out is to remember Allah, by tongue or by heart...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/454566-keeping-up-with-mentioning-allah.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2015 at 1:13am
14-  Freedom from Humiliation & Neediness

The tree of humiliation stems from a seed of neediness.

Nothing deceives you as your illusion.

You are free from what you gave up on, and you are a slave to what you are in need of.

Clearing up the heart before beautification and shining is still passing through the stage of searching for flaws.

Trying to discover the flaws within you is better than trying to discover the worlds hidden from you, as mentioned in previous articles of this series...

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/454693-freedom-from-needness.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version