Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue  
Message Icon Topic: Spiritual Pearls of Wisdom of Ibn `Atta' Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 9 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 November 2018 at 4:14am

Ibn`Atta' on Repentance and Hope

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

“If you find yourself having less hope in God when you make a mistake, then realize you are only relying on your work, not on God’s Mercy”

When I have an intention to commence on a spiritual journey to God, I have to ask myself: Where should I start from?

And what should I take along with me on this journey? Should I recall the good deeds I have done and take them as my provisions in this journey?

The answer given by Ibn `Ataa’ in his word of wisdom is: ‘No! You should not rely even on your good deeds.

You should start your journey to God by simply turning your heart to Him, putting your trust in Him alone, and hoping only for His Mercy and Bounty alone to carry you through your journey’...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/on-repentance-and-hope/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2018 at 2:32am
Ibn`Atta': How Sincerity Revives Actions

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

“Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity”.

Sincerity to Allah is more fundamental than relying on Allah, since it has to do with a deeper level of faith in Him, Most High.

Yet, it was important to affirm our relying on Allah and hope in His Mercy, before discussing sincerity. This is because pure sincerity to Allah is so subtle and so hard to achieve without much hope in Allah’s Grace and strong reliance on Him.

Sincerity to Allah is so essential for our journey. In Ibn `Ataa’s words: (Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity). If we imagine a simile between an action and a human body, then the action devoid of sincerity is like a body without a soul; a dead body...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-ataa-sincerity-revives-actions/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 December 2018 at 5:45am
Ibn `Atta’ on Ascending Levels of Worship

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

Allah diversified the acts of worship for you because He knows how quickly you get bored. And He did not permit you certain acts of worship at certain times so you do not go to extremes. The objective is to perfect your prayers not to merely perform them. Not every performer of prayers perfects them.

This word of wisdom is related to a very important topic in our journey to Allah which is the quality of worship. A believer who is in continuous worship may feel bored at some point. Allah, out of His mercy, knows that we, humans, could naturally feel bored, even from worship. Therefore, He diversified the acts of worship so we can worship Him in a variety of ways...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-ascending-levels-worship-pearls-wisdom/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2019 at 6:27am
'A Journey to God'

Dr Jasser Auda elucidates the first ten of 28 Hikam aphorisms which he has selected and sequenced as steps towards God in his book "A Journey to God - Reflections on the Hikam of Ibn Ata'illah".

(29 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:34am
A Journey to God – The Start of the Journey

(Ibn Ata’s Words of Wisdom: Part 1)

“There is no real distance between you and Him in order for you to journey.

And the connection between you and Him is not cut such that you must mend it.”

This is a journey.

A journey for Allah, with Allah, and to Allah Almighty.

Although Allah is near to us, we are journeying to Him because we are far; but He is close to us. He said:

“And if my servants ask you about Me, behold I am near…” (2:186)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:25am
First Step: Repentance and Hope on the Journey to God

“If you find yourself having less hope in God when you make a mistake, then realize you are only relying on your work and not on God’s mercy.”

I have an intention to start a journey to Allah Almighty, and the question is: where would I start? What should I take with me on the journey?

Should I recall, for example, the good things that I did in the world and take them with me on my journey to advance me? Or should I otherwise recall my mistakes and take them on my journey?

The answer is actually to take my mistakes rather than what I think are good deeds. Not to rely on my good deeds, but to start the journey by simply turning my heart to Allah Almighty and putting my trust in Him and hoping that His mercy and His bounty will carry me throughout my journey...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/first-step-repentance-hope-the-journey-to-god/

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:54am
Second Step: The Dominance of God’s Universal Laws

“A human will, however strong it is, can never pierce through the veils of destiny.”

When you start your journey and a new resolution to Allah Almighty, you’re full of energy, inspiration and enthusiasm.

One sometimes tries to change himself/herself, the family, the society, the country, the whole world in one night or in one day or in one month…

People sometimes forget what Ibn Ata’ here calls “the veils of destiny”. The veils of destiny, are what Allah calls in the Quran the Sunnah of Allah:

You will never find a change in Allah’s universal laws, and you’ll never find a deviation in Allah’s universal laws.

These universal laws are the laws by which Allah created the universe...

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:09am
Third Step: Relying on God

“Save yourself from worrying. Someone else already took care of your affairs for you.”

This wisdom is about the verse in which Allah Almighty said:

Whoever relies on Allah, Allah is enough for them. (65:3)

This is the inspiration of that wisdom, in addition to many places in the Quran and the name of Allah Al-Wakeel (the one who is taking care of our affairs).

So relying on God (tawakkul) is actually a very important concept...

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:27am

Fourth Step: Sincerity to God

“Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity.”

Sincerity is the most important step on the journey. But it comes here after reliance on Allah (SWT), because relying on Allah is important for sincerity.

Sincerity is so difficult to attain, you need to do a lot of tawakkul, a lot of reliance on Allah...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/sincerity-god-fourth-step-journey/

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:40am
Fifth Step: Reflection – The Profound Step in the Journey to Allah

“Bury yourself in the land of anonymity. A seed that is never buried underground will never produce.

There is nothing more beneficial for the heart than an isolation that allows it to enter a state of reflection.”

This step is about isolation and reflection.

This is a profound way to come closer to Allah (SWT), and to actualize what we did in the previous steps. The repentance, the awe, the sincerity could be actualized by isolating yourself and reflecting...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/reflection-the-profound-step-in-the-journey-to-allah/

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:16am
Sixth Step on the Journey to God: Purification Before Shining

“How can the mirror of the heart shine if the material images are covering it?

And how can the heart journey to God if it is chained by its desires?

How can the heart ever hope to enter the divine presence if it has not purified itself from its forgetfulness?”

This is about the technicalities of reflection that we talked about in the previous step. This is about how can you reflect in the best way and how can you benefit your heart from the reflection.

Like a Mirror

The sheikh is giving a very interesting simile which is that our heart is like a mirror...

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:58am
Seize Time, Hasten Your Good Deed: The Journey’s Seventh Step

“Postponing good deeds until you have free time is an indication of an immature soul.”

Sometimes we postpone the good that we need to do and we have an intention to do, and we say that: “Well, I will do that tomorrow, next week, next month, next Ramadan, when I get a job, when I get married, when I get a promotion, when I retire…” Any of the landmarks in my life that I put as a timing for doing the good deeds.

The sheikh here is saying that this is immature. And if you have an intention to do a good deed, then you go and do it right away; otherwise, your soul is an immature soul....

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/seize-time-hasten-good-deed-journeys-seventh-step/

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:50am
Patience With Tests on The Journey to Allah

“Do not be surprised when difficulties happen in this worldly abode. It is only revealing its true character and identity.”

In this step, the servant of Allah Almighty purifies the intention, reflects, seizes time, and the light of faith starts to shine on him/her and the journey starts to draw closer to Allah Almighty…

And then something happens which is a test from Allah Almighty.

Why Tests?

And Allah tests those whom He loves...

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:18am
Perfecting the Beginnings For a Perfect End

“A sign of success in the end is to refer to God in the beginning. If there is no sunrise in the beginning, there is no sunrise in the end.”

These words of wisdom teach us another universal law, another Sunnah of Allah, is that when you start something, you have to perfect the basis of that thing.

You have to perfect the starts and the foundations of what you are trying to do...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/perfecting-beginnings-perfect-end/

<< Prev Page  of 9 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version