Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Spiritual Pearls of Wisdom of Ibn `Atta' Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2016 at 5:23am

Journeying to Allah?

Part 1

Sections from a course on the words of wisdom of Ibn Ataa, given at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ramadan 1436 - 2015.

The speaker is Dr. Jasser Auda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQAqHAGc6I

(16 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2016 at 12:54am
Hope and Repent

Part 2

Dr. Jasser Auda continues his reflections in this second video on the wise sayings of Ibn Ataa' with focus on hope in the journey to Allah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPE8GpWpTk

(16 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2016 at 12:34am
Relying on Allah

Part 3

Dr. Jasser Auda continues his reflections in this third video on the wise sayings of Ibn Ataa' with focus on reliance on Allah's mercy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ifUWcTdfo

(16 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 June 2016 at 9:00am

Ascending Levels of Worship

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

Allah diversified the acts of worship for you because He knows how quickly you get bored. And He did not permit you certain acts of worship at certain times so you do not go to extremes.

The objective is to perfect your prayers not to merely perform them. Not every performer of prayers perfects them.

The word of wisdom under discussion is related to a very important topic in our journey to Allah which is the quality of worship.

A believer who is in continuous worship may feel bored at some point. Allah, out of His mercy, knows that we, humans, could naturally feel bored, even from worship. Therefore, He diversified the acts of worship so we can worship Him in a variety of ways...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-ascending-levels-worship-pearls-wisdom/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 July 2016 at 8:15am

Ibn `Atta’ on Calls of Distress

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

The best way to ask Him is through expressing your distress, and the fastest way to acquire His gifts is through expressing your humility and need.

The word of wisdom under discussion is about du`aa’ (supplication). It is not about the etiquette of supplication, but it is about the condition of the heart during supplication...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-calls-distress/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:58am

Satisfaction: A Godly Gift

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

His most perfect blessing on you is to give you just enough, and to deprive you from what will cause you to do wrong.

When you have less to be happy with, you will have less to be sad about.

This stage of our journey to Allah relates to the issue of providence and how to understand it correctly.

The Prophetic hadith that says: “The little that suffices is better than the abundant and distracting”, has been re-worded by the Sheikh in this word of wisdom.

The Sheikh says: “His most perfect blessing on you is to give you just enough, and to deprive you from what will cause you to do wrong”.

Allah the Almighty may give a believer just enough, not more or less. When this happens, it is a perfect blessing from Allah. If Allah gives abundant providence to someone, there is a risk of that person transgressing boundaries. Allah says:

{Nay, but a human does transgress all bounds.

Because he considers himself self-sufficient.

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/satisfaction-godly-gift-ibn-atta/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 November 2016 at 9:40am

Ibn Ataa: How Sincerity Revives Actions

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

“Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity”.

Sincerity to Allah is more fundamental than relying on Allah, since it has to do with a deeper level of faith in Him, Most High.

Yet, it was important to affirm our relying on Allah and hope in His Mercy, before discussing sincerity. This is because pure sincerity to Allah is so subtle and so hard to achieve without much hope in Allah’s Grace and strong reliance on Him.

Sincerity to Allah is so essential for our journey. In Ibn `Ataa’s words: (Actions are like statues that only come to life with the spirit of sincerity). If we imagine a simile between an action and a human body, then the action devoid of sincerity is like a body without a soul; a dead body...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-ataa-sincerity-revives-actions/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 November 2016 at 11:36am

Ibn Atta on How to Deal with People’s Praise

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

When people praise you for what they assume about you, blame yourself for what you certainly know about yourself. The most ignorant is the one who denies what he really knows about himself and believes what others assume about him.
While journeying to Allah Almighty we will be put to many tests. One of those tests pertains to people’s praise for what they assume about us. This word of wisdom answers the following question: How does one deal with people’s praise?

People’s praise is a serious danger. A man praised another greatly before the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Prophet said, “Woe on you! You have cut the neck of your friend“. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), repeated this sentence many times and said:

“If you have to praise someone, then he should say, ‘I think that he is so-and-so’, if he really thinks that he is such. Allah is the One Who will take his accounts as He knows his reality and no one can confirm that anybody is already commended by Allah.” (Al-Bukhari)

In another tradition, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“When you see those who shower praise upon others, throw dust upon their faces.” (Muslim)

People’s praise may change one’s intentions from pleasing Allah to pleasing people, earning their praise or avoiding their criticism. It also discourages one to do more good deeds if he really believes that he is perfect and has done great actions. Another negative aspect of praise is that it makes one overlook his flaws and, instead, look at his merits...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-deal-peoples-praise/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2016 at 3:37am

Ibn `Atta’: Perfect Your Beginning (Words of Wisdom)

“A sign of success in the end is to refer to Allah in the beginning.

If there is no sunrise in the beginning, there is no sunrise in the end.”

A servant journeying to Allah, who is passing through difficult tests and heading to horizons of peace and tranquility, always thinks of new good deeds that advance him/her along his/her journey.

This word of wisdom teaches us here another universal law: Perfecting the basis and the start of any new project, almost guarantees the desired outcomes in the end...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-perfect-beginning/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2016 at 9:56am
/When people praise you for what they assume about you, blame yourself for what you certainly know about yourself. The most ignorant is the one who denies what he really knows about himself and believes what others assume about him./

This is true. This wisdom comes first from the OT & NT Bible. Paul said not to think more highly of yourself then you ought... And the one who flatters is one who spreads a net for his brother's feet. That means to trip him up.

Edited by Saved - 31 December 2016 at 10:10am
Jesus is not valued unless valued above all
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 January 2017 at 2:19am
More pearls of wisdom here from Ibn Atta':

https://bewley.virtualave.net/hikam.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2017 at 5:33am

Sins and Obedience: Do They Affect God?

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

Your obedience does not benefit Him, and your sins do not harm Him.

He ordered you to this and forbid you from this only for what benefits you.

It is a fact that Allah the Almighty does not benefit from anyone’s obedience, for He is the Most Wealthy and the Most Gracious.

No one’s sins do harm Him neither do the sins of all people, for He is dignified beyond any harm from anyone because of His unreachable Glory.

He ordered obedience and forbade sin for reasons that only bring man limitless benefit and profit. One should always be thankful for this blessing and always be mindful of it.

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibnatta-sins-obedience-affect-god/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:42pm

Spiritual Wisdoms and the Path to Allah - Hikam Ibn 'Ata Allah Explained -2

Shaykh Faraz Rabbani explains select aphorisms (hikam) of Ibn 'Ata Allah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNsQjiEF1-k

(51 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:05am
Ibn `Atta’: Repentance and Hope (Words of Wisdom)

“If you find yourself having less hope in God when you make a mistake, then realize you are only relying on your work, not on God’s Mercy”

When I have an intention to commence on a spiritual journey to God, I have to ask myself: Where should I start from?

And what should I take along with me on this journey?

Should I recall the good deeds I have done and take them as my provisions in this journey?

The answer given by Ibn `Ataa’ in his word of wisdom is: ‘No! You should not rely even on your good deeds.

You should start your journey to God by simply turning your heart to Him, putting your trust in Him alone, and hoping only for His Mercy and Bounty alone to carry you through your journey’...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/on-repentance-and-hope/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version