Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue  
Message Icon Topic: Spiritual Pearls of Wisdom of Ibn `Atta' Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2017 at 5:08am
Ibn Atta’ on Keeping Priorities Straight

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

A sign of following one’s whims is to be active with optional good deeds while being lazy with required obligations.

The next step in our journey to Allah requires sound knowledge and deep understanding. The Prophet (Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) said:

If Allah wishes good for someone, He grants him knowledge (fiqh) of the faith. (Al-Bukhari)

Knowledge (fiqh) is not only about the judicial rulings pertaining to the practical rituals and social aspects...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-keeping-priorities-straight/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

A sign of following one’s whims is to be active with optional good deeds while being lazy with required obligations
I guess that is one the differences between Christianity and Islam. IMO, there is no such thing as optional good deeds, and according to the gospel our good deeds are just filth in the sight of God unless God is doing the good deed through us. As for obligations, one should care for his family, but many take on burdens that they called obligatory, but what are really spiritual bondages. Our only obligations are to love God with all our being and our neighbor as ourselves. This fulfills all the law and the prophets. Anything more than this is bondage.

Edited by Saved - 09 April 2017 at 11:55pm
Jesus is not valued unless valued above all
Augustine
Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2017 at 12:03am

If Allah wishes good for someone, He grants him knowledge
This sounds good, but it is not as good as asking wisdom from God which directs the knowledge. Knowledge is power, but without wisdom it will self destruct and take others with it.. it is written in the NT "If any man lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives liberally......" God wishes all would have good; he is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to the knowledge of truth. Jesus is the truth!

Edited by Saved - 10 April 2017 at 12:06am
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2017 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Saved

This sounds good, but it is not as good as asking wisdom from God which directs the knowledge. Knowledge is power, but without wisdom it will self destruct and take others with it.

I agree with you on that

But at the same time, wisdom can't be found without knowledge.

This whole thread is about wisdom...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2017 at 12:59am

This sounds good, but it is not as good as asking wisdom from God which directs the knowledge. Knowledge is power, but without wisdom it will self destruct and take others with it.
<font size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with you on thatBut at the same time, wisdom can't be found without knowledge.This whole thread is about wisdom...
Al you can have knowledge without wisdom, but you cannot have wisdom without knowledge!
The beginning of wisdom and knowledge is the fear of the Lord.

Edited by Saved - 12 April 2017 at 1:03am
Augustine
Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2017 at 1:07am
You can have good deeds without having faith, but you cannot have faith without good deeds.
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2017 at 3:16am

Al you can have knowledge without wisdom, but you cannot have wisdom without knowledge!

That's true

And I think we already agreed on that.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2017 at 1:51pm

That's trueAnd I think we already agreed on that.
Oh, I thought you had a but in there when you said "wisdom can't be found without knowledge" that is why I said, "you can have knowledge without wisdom, but you cannot have wisdom without knowledge!" So, I wasn't sure what you meant.

Wisdom was always there, and it is wise to search for it; there is no proof that knowledge comes before wisdom, because you can also say it takes wisdom to gain the knowledge necessary to do God's will.

I am not disagreeing with you as much as I am with some of the quotes in the thread such as: “If Allah wishes good for someone, He grants him knowledge (fiqh) of the faith”.
I say give me knowledge, but not without the wisdom to direct it to please God. I would agree with this quote if it substitutes the term "knowledge" with "wisdom" knowledge to find the faith can be a false faith and hope, but wisdom doesn't make that mistake!

Edited by Saved - 12 April 2017 at 1:57pm
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:13am
There Is Enough Time to Do Everything!

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

“Postponing good deeds until you have free time is an indication of an immature soul.”

In other words, there is nothing called “I do not have time.” The deeds we are talking about such as prayers, remembering God, reflection, all need time. However, sometimes one postpones them and says “I will do them tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or next Ramadan.”

Ibn `Ata’illah describes this attitude as an indication of an immature soul, i.e. this person is demonstrating a folly of the self because you can do everything you want to do if you have a strong will and time will help you a lot...

http://aboutislam.net/spirituality/enough-time-everything/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:31pm

Postponing good deeds until you have free time is an indication of an immature soulIn
other words, there is nothing called “I do not have time.”
I think of good deeds as helping a blind person or someone stranded, an old person across the street or hungry people and you feed or cloth them etc. Prayer to me is not a good deed; it is our spiritual breath; It is the air we breath. So if the text you quoted is talking about these types of good deeds that I mentioned, it is possible to postpone a good deed if you have a more urgent matter to attend to and then resume good deeds; This doesn't mean an immature soul; it just means the saying is not an absolute.

The deeds we are talking about such as prayers, remembering God, reflection, all need time. However, sometimes one postpones them and says “I will do
them tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or next Ramadan
These are acts of worship and should be done without ceasing; they are not good deeds, IMHO.

`Ata’illah describes this attitude as an indication of an immature soul, i.e. this person is demonstrating a folly of the self because you can do everything you want to do if you have a strong will and time will help you a lot
What does "`Ata’illah" mean?

Edited by Saved - 26 April 2017 at 12:36pm
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2017 at 3:43pm
Good deeds in Islam are divided in two types:

- Good deeds in our direct relation with God

- Good deeds one does in dealing with others

`Ata’illah means the gift or bounty of Allah

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2017 at 4:42pm

Good deeds in Islam are divided in two types:- Good deeds in our direct relation with God- Good deeds one does in dealing with others`Ata’illah means the gift or bounty of Allah

I see
Augustine
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:39am
Ibn `Atta’ on Ascending Levels of Worship (Pearls of Wisdom)

In his well-known book, Al-Hikam (Words of Wisdom), sheikh Ahmad Ibn `Ataa’illah As-Sakandari says:

Allah diversified the acts of worship for you because He knows how quickly you get bored.

And He did not permit you certain acts of worship at certain times so you do not go to extremes.

The objective is to perfect your prayers not to merely perform them.

Not every performer of prayers perfects them.

The word of wisdom under discussion is related to a very important topic in our journey to Allah which is the quality of worship.

A believer who is in continuous worship may feel bored at some point. Allah, out of His mercy, knows that we, humans, could naturally feel bored, even from worship. Therefore, He diversified the acts of worship so we can worship Him in a variety of ways.

When Allah opens for you the door of reading the Qur’an, you may wish to read it all the time. But it is not allowed to read the Qur’an while we are kneeling down or prostrating in prayer, in the toilet, or while we are in a state of ritual non-cleanliness.

Because Allah knows our nature, He diversified the acts of worship and made some of them prohibited at certain times...

http://aboutislam.net/shariah/refine-your-heart/advice/ibn-atta-ascending-levels-worship-pearls-wisdom/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Saved  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Saved Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:19pm

Good deeds in Islam are divided in two types:- Good deeds in our direct relation with God- Good deeds one does in dealing with others`Ata’illah means the gift or bounty of Allah

Good deeds in relationship to God in Christianity is doing good deeds to others. All we have to do is love God with all our being, but there are no other good deeds other than treating people the way you want to be treated. This is doing good things to God. Jesus said: "In so much as you have done it onto the least of these thy brethren you have done it to me"

Edited by Saved - 11 May 2017 at 2:20pm
Augustine
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version