Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Anti-Islamophobia Resources(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
bullet Posted: 30 November 2016 at 8:02am

UK Muslims Reach Out in Islamophobia Awareness Month

WALSALL – Speaking to young women at the Muslim Engagement and Development (Mend), event in Palfrey Community Centre, was sobering. In Walsall, West Midlands, students facing all the pressures of college courses and finances, have another pressure to deal with; regular attacks linked to their faith and ethnicity.

“Shouted abuse, the usual you know” said one hijab-wearing student, recounting white middle aged men harassing her in the high street.

“Being spat at isn’t nice,” said another. “Abuse, swearing the usual words ‘Terrorist, extremist, ISIS’”.

The students’ worries were echoed by their newest Walsall representative, Sabina Ditta, elected to the council earlier this year.

“Islamophobia around here has increased and the abuse both verbal and physical is normal now,”...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/europe/uk-muslims-outreach-islamophobia-awareness-month/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 14 December 2016 at 2:03am

Stranger or Neighbour: Responding to Islamophobia

A talk by Sheikh Yasir Fahmy on how to deal with Islamophobia and how to respond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7826yeGGY

(22 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 16 December 2016 at 1:23am

No Fear: I am a Muslim by Dr. Dalia Fahmy

An excellent talk by Prof. Dalia Fahmy in Baltimore last May, at the ICNA-MAS Convention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf4YiLcKf2s

(22 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 25 January 2017 at 5:08am

6 Rules Of Islamophobia In America

The Huffington Post tracked Islamophobia in the U.S. throughout 2016. Here’s what we learned

... we developed The Islamophobia Project, and committed to tracking anti-Muslim violence, vandalism, discrimination, public policy and political speech throughout 2016.

The timing of the incidents we collected helped reveal patterns. We discovered that Trump supporters attacked, harassed, or plotted to kill Muslims at least 13 times during the election cycle, proving a potential link between Trump’s rhetoric and the actions of supporters. We documented apparent surges in anti-Muslim incidents during Muslim holidays.

It’s now been a year, and our project is a sad and seemingly endless scroll through nearly 400 stories of Muslims in America being attacked, threatened, scapegoated, and profiled, seeing their places of worship vandalized and their faith denigrated. 

An email address we set up as a source for tips — islamophobia@huffingtonpost.com — generated hundreds of responses. Many people expressed gratitude for the project. One email led to a story about a Muslim Army veteran who found the word “terrorist” written on his locker. Mostly, we received anti-Muslim hate mail...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/islamophobia-america_us_587cf491e4b0e58057ff98e0

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 18 February 2017 at 5:20am

BBC: Visit My Mosque Day in the UK

Report on the Masjid Khadijah & Islamic Centre in Peterborough, UK, covering the mosque open day and our what should be the response to Islamophobia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_deAnY6Ag

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 03 March 2017 at 4:13am

High Quality resources for School to tackle Islamophobia

Muslim community and advocacy group MEND (Muslim Engagement & Development) has recently made public a wealth of high quality resources to be used in schools to teach about and tackle Islamophobia.

The content is designed to equip teachers with materials and statistics to facilitate discussions about Islamophobia in line with the PSHE Association’s guidelines on syllabus content.

With ChildLine’s experimental data on bullying in playgrounds revealing a 69% increase in ‘racist’ bullying with the most common words used beingbomber’, ‘terrorist’ and ‘go back home where you came from’, there is a strong possibility that Muslim kids are bearing the brunt of this racism.

There are Videos , Presentation and Brochure  :

http://islamhashtag.com/resources-for-school-to-tackle-islamophobia/

The video posted on the above link gives a glimpse of what some Muslim students go through at school in the UK:

A gang of school kids bully a young Muslim girl after class and snatch off her hijab

You can Download the Brochure HERE

Visit  www.mend.org.uk/schools for more resources

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 03 March 2017 at 4:15am

Titanic shifts: The Muslim ban, burning mosques and Islamophobia

As Trump's Islamophobes in the White House insist on demonizing and reducing Muslims to a single frame, that of terrorism, the broader American society has begun to reject this racist framing

https://www.dailysabah.com/columns/hatem-bazian/2017/03/02/titanic-shifts-the-muslim-ban-burning-mosques-and-islamophobia

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 10 April 2017 at 3:25am
A 712-page Google doc Compiles Data on Muslims Condemning Terrorism

https://muslimscondemn.com/

When a classmate told 19-year-old Heraa Hashmi that “all terrorists are Muslims” she began to compile a dossier of all instances of Muslims condemning terror attacks

It happened in history class.

Heraa Hashmi, a 19-year-old American Muslim student at the University of Colorado, was supposed to be discussing the Crusades with the man sitting next to her. Within a few minutes, however, he was crusading against Islam...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2017/mar/26/muslims-condemn-terrorism-stats

https://muslimscondemn.com/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 18 April 2017 at 4:51am
8th Annual International Conference on Islamophobia (Berkeley)

Islamophobia & The End of Liberalism?

The Conference is hosted by the Center for Race & Gender's Islamophobia Research & Documentation Project (IRDP) at University of California, Berkeley. 

April 21st – 23rd, 2017

Booth Auditorium, Boalt School of Law

University of California, Berkeley

Attend in-person or via Livestream.

• What is the relation between the discourse of ‘take our country back’ and the post-Cold War liberal political order?
  • What intellectual and political resources and possibilities now exist for imagining the West in contravention of Islamophobia?
  • Is the presence of the non-white, culturally unassimilable, rights-bearing subject a political problem for western liberalism?
  • What is the relationship between neo-liberal economic policies and rise of Islamophobia?
Can't attend in person? Join via Livestream.

Once you've completed the RSVP form, a Livestream link will be shared a few days bef

https://irdproject.com/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 11 June 2017 at 7:49am
Manhattan anti-Sharia demonstration dwarfed by Islam-supporting counter-protesters

Anti-Muslim protesters marching in Lower Manhattan Saturday were met by a larger group of counter-protesters who drowned them out with chants of their own. 

The two sides faced off in Foley Square, where ACT for America, a lobbying organization opposed to Muslim immigration, organized a “March against Sharia” — part of a series of nationwide marches the group organized Saturday.

About 100 demonstrators carrying signs with anti-Islamic slogans — one reading simply “NO MORE MUSLIMS” — shouted against Sharia law, which ACT for America argues is threatening the United States. The organization is designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an anti-Muslim hate group...

Across Centre St., several hundred protesters — branding themselves as anti-fascist — brought out cowbells, drums and air horns in an attempt to stop the anti-Muslim side from being heard.

“We’re making so much noise to drown out the fact that they are furthering hate speech. I do not believe they have a right to a platform. They are planning murder and mayhem,” said Eric Josephson, 66, a retired union organizer from the Bronx.

“This is to attempt to push back against Nazis and other extreme right wingers, who are apparently protesting against a movement to impose Sharia law in the U.S. This is obvious horse manure. There is no such movement.” ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/anti-sharia-demonstration-dwarfed-islam-supporting-protesters-article-1.3237042

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 12 July 2017 at 4:22am
Sarsour: I’m Islamophobes Worst Nightmare

NEW YORK –Targeted in a vehement Islamophobic campaign, American Muslim activist Linda Sarsour decided to speak out, publishing a Washington Post op-ed in which she blamed the outrage over her use of the word jihad on conservative media.

“This week, conservative media outlets took a speech I gave to the largest gathering of Muslims in America out of context and alleged that I had called for a violent “jihad” against the president. I did not,” Sarsour wrote on Monday, July 10.

“Sadly, this is not a new experience for me. Since the Women’s March on Washington, which I had the privilege of co-chairing with inspirational women from across the country, my family and I have received countless threats of physical violence.

“These ugly threats come from people who also spout anti-Muslim, xenophobic and white-supremacist beliefs. Their sole agenda is to silence and discredit me because I am an effective leader for progress, a Palestinian American and Brooklyn-born Muslim woman. In short, I am their worst nightmare.” ...

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/america/sarsour-im-islamophobes-worst-nightmare/

This is the full text of her Washington Post article dated 9 July 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/linda-sarsour-no-i-did-not-call-for-violence-against-trump-heres-what-jihad-means-to-me/2017/07/09/c2acb086-64b6-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html

Islamophobes are attacking me because I’m their worst nightmare

This week, conservative media outlets took a speech I gave to the largest gathering of Muslims in America out of context and alleged that I had called for a violent “jihad” against the president. I did not. Sadly, this is not a new experience for me.

Since the Women’s March on Washington, which I had the privilege of co-chairing with inspirational women from across the country, my family and I have received countless threats of physical violence. These ugly threats come from people who also spout anti-Muslim, xenophobic and white-supremacist beliefs.

Their sole agenda is to silence and discredit me because I am an effective leader for progress, a Palestinian American and Brooklyn-born Muslim woman. In short, I am their worst nightmare.

I began my work as director of the Arab American Association of New York in the wake of the horrific attacks of 9/11. As crisis after crisis struck Arab and Muslim communities, from the backlash to the “Ground Zero mosque” to the anti-Muslim hearings held by Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) to the rampant surveillance of New York City’s Muslim communities, I became more vocal about Islamophobia’s terrible impact on my community, city and country.

Because of that, I become a target of the Islamophobia industry, a well-funded group of organizations and spokesmen who fuel anti-Muslim sentiment through misleading narratives, propaganda, local policies and the vilification of Muslim activists and public figures.

But the post-9/11 environment did not prepare me for the onslaught of vitriol that has come my way since January. First came a campaign to remove me as the commencement speaker at City University of New York’s School of Public Health and Health Policy.

With hired security at my side, I gave a speech that focused on the rise of hate crimes and xenophobia and the importance of choosing to never be bystanders in the face of injustice. I honored Ricky John Best, Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche and Micah Fletcher, who saved two young African American women, one of them Muslim, in Portland when they were attacked by a white supremacist. Both Best and Namkai-Meche lost their lives that day.

Now comes the malicious twisting of the speech I gave at the Islamic Society of North America’s 54th annual convention.

In my speech — you can watch the unedited version here — I sent not a call to violence, but a call to speak truth to power and to commit to the struggle for racial and economic justice. I was speaking to an all-Muslim audience; as an American, I should be free to share and discuss scripture and teachings of my beloved Prophet.

My statements were clear, and my activism track record is even clearer: My work has always been rooted in nonviolence as espoused by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Most disturbing about this recent defamation campaign is how it is focused on demonizing the legitimate yet widely misunderstood Islamic term I used, “jihad,” which to majority of Muslims and according to religious scholars means “struggle” or “to strive for.” This term has been hijacked by Muslim extremists and right-wing extremists alike, leaving ordinary Muslims to defend our faith and in some cases silenced. It sets a dangerous precedent when people of faith are policed and when practicing their religion peacefully comes with consequences.

Nevertheless, the attacks from xenophobes and the conservative media have continued. It saddens me deeply that my three children are frightened. It angers me that I have to think about securing my physical safety even while walking through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn.

Every day, I speak about women’s issues, indigenous rights, the necessity to fight for black lives and against the Muslim and refugee bans.

I believe wholeheartedly that we must fight injustice and inequality — through marches and direct actions, through policy changes, and through our own voices permeating media spaces.

My views are not unique or special, and many activists around the country express them as well. The reasons I am subjected to such particularly public vitriol are simple: I am a Palestinian American woman in a hijab who has become a familiar presence and name in American living rooms when it comes to nonviolent resistance and activism.

Indeed, those targeting me have an even broader agenda: to silence and discredit racial-justice activists altogether because we are awakening the masses.

But I refuse to be intimidated.

I will not walk away from the people and communities whom I love deeply.

I will to continue to raise my voice for justice and equality for all, organize communities who want to defend the rights of black people, stand against policies that target and marginalize Muslims, and advocate for health care for all people.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, and I intend to continue to push my country to respect the rights of all its citizens.

I will not be silenced.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/linda-sarsour-no-i-did-not-call-for-violence-against-trump-heres-what-jihad-means-to-me/2017/07/09/c2acb086-64b6-11e7-9928-22d00a47778f_story.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 19 July 2017 at 10:00am
Boston Launches Anti-Islamophobia Poster Campaign

The city of Boston is launching a poster campaign to fight Islamophobia by encouraging bystanders to intervene, in a non-confrontational way, if they witness anti-Muslim harassment.

Starting Monday, the city began installing 50 posters around the city with advice on what to do if you see Islamophobic behavior.

The posters recommend sitting by a victim of harassment and talking with them about a neutral subject while ignoring the harasser...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/18/537899187/boston-launches-anti-islamophobia-poster-campaign

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 22 August 2017 at 4:50am
CAIR Issues '9 Steps to Dismantle White Supremacy and Islamophobia'

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 8/21/2017) -- The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today issued "9 Steps to Dismantle White Supremacy and Islamophobia" in response to both the recent deadly terrorist attack on anti-racist protests in Charlottesville, Va., and the rise in Islamophobic sentiment and hate incidents in recent months.

The nine steps include requesting the removal of Confederate symbols, engaging in "courteous conversations" on race, sexism, xenophobia, bigotry, and Islamophobia, demanding that President Trump fire staffers with white supremacist ties, hosting a community celebration to challenge hate, boycotting racist and Islamophobic speakers, and protecting the right to vote.

CAIR INFORGRAPHIC: 9 Steps to Dismantle White Supremacy and Islamophobia

The Washington-based civil rights organization said it has witnessed an unprecedented increase in hate incidents targeting American Muslims and members of other minority groups since the election of Donald Trump

CAIR asks community members to report any bias incidents to police and to CAIR's Civil Rights Department at 202-742-6420 or by filing a report at: http://www.cair.com/report

Because of the rise in hate incidents, CAIR recently launched an app to share critical "know your rights" information and to simplify the process to report hate crimes and bias incidents.

For a quick download of CAIR's civil rights app, click here: http://www.cair.com/app

http://cair.com/press-center/press-releases/14546-cair-issues-9-steps-to-dismantle-white-supremacy-and-islamophobia.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
bullet Posted: 04 October 2017 at 3:04pm
Has The BBC Found The Best Cure for Islamophobia?

A recent BBC video praised Muslim youth in Birmingham, UK, for their voluntary work in helping the city deal with its bin strike in recent weeks.

This is the video they released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vuMexN5DE

BBC Video Praises Birmingham Bearded Heroes

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/europe/bbc-praises-birmingham-bearded-heroes/

Doing voluntary work for the local community is indeed the best cure for Islamophobia, a win-win situation for all Muslims around the world to focus on in the coming years.

Whether it's helping the poor, the elderly or anyone in need, that is what we should focus on.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version