Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Introductions
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Introductions
Message Icon Topic: Greetings from the new guy Post Reply Post New Topic
CactusJack  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Other(Other)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CactusJack Replybullet Topic: Greetings from the new guy
    Posted: 04 July 2016 at 6:43pm
Hello ladies and gentlemen, my name is Carl, but I go by the nick Cactus Jack. 

I have come here to learn more about Islam. I have made attempts away from the internet, but found myself disappointed.  I live in Utah, and where I am now there are no Mosques.

I am currently attending college working towards a major in engineering, and hopefully a minor in sociology.

I am 46, single, white, male, and changing my career (which is why I'm in college).

I look forward to learning more about Islam.

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 July 2016 at 7:16pm
Hello Carl, and welcome to the forum

My name is Tarek, 54, married and currently living in the UK

I hope we can help with the information on Islam that you are searching for, In-Shaa-Allah (God willing)

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have

Hope you like it here

Peace and best wishes

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2016 at 5:13pm
Welcome to the forum, Carl! My name is Amy, and I have a degree in electrical engineering but I'm a stay at home mom right now. What has interested you in learning about Islam?
CactusJack  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CactusJack Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:46am
I used to be a Reverend in a non-denominational following.  Still ordained, just not practicing or even going to church.  I have read the Quran once through back about 15+ years ago.  In fact I wrote a paper on the comparison of the Quran and the Holy Bible, addressing the myths and garbge from the internet.

But why Islam?  Actually, I'm already working on that in my word processor and will get that posted shortly.
CactusJack  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CactusJack Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2016 at 6:14am
Ah, Electrical Engineer!  Which sub-category/specialty?  I am currently on summer break from college.  Pre-engineering is my major for now.

Give me a few moments, please, as I give you my brief lecture....

I have read the Quran once before.  Back in the 90's IIRC.  In fact back in 2004 I wrote a comparison of the Quran and the Holy Bible, reflecting on a lot of the common myths expressed on the internet.  (I tried to find it, but it looks like Iíll have to re-write it.  Itís gone.)

Because of a serious accident I was in back in 2006, reading is difficult.  So I prefer talking with someone or watching videos.  Reading is not impossible, just difficult (I am working with physical therapist to fix that).  And that is something that will come up in the future, the discussion of my impairments.

I have had a lot of difficulty with converting over, as for the past few years I have contacted a few Mosques, asking questions.  In some cases they refuse to talk (Laramie WY, Denver CO).  In other cases, when I have engaged in conversation about Islam with someone at a Mosque, they appear hesitant.  (Never been to a Mosque and all contact with a Mosque is via telephone)

I have been fortunate enough to talk a few times with people in person and talk about Islam, and when I address this issue I am told about the difficulty Muslims have because of the past and current political issues (9/11, PG1, PG2, etc). 

I see the difficulty, I see the trials they face, I see how harsh people have become towards Muslims as a whole because of the acts of a few.  The discrimination and hatred is there, but really, what for?  

In my observations, I noticed how there is very little similar behavior exhibited towards Americans/Christians by Muslims after the many misdeeds committed (re: SFC Greene, Abu Gharaib, etc.).  I have seen how Muslims donít exhibit the same hatred and discontent towards Americans/Christians.  To me that is admirable.

Sadly I have been told that people in Islam may think I am another American nut job looking for retribution, seeking allies through religion.  Of course, weíve seen how some people have done that, who knows what the truth behind their actions are.  And I have also been told that ďthey might thinkĒ Iím ďa fed trying to get inĒ.  ďGet in to what?Ē is my question. 

I will admit that yes I have political problems.  Yes I have legal problems.  I have a lot of problems in life.  But those are for me to work out.  It doesnít matter if I convert to Islam or Hindu, Catholic or become an atheistĖ those troubles will not change because of religious preference.

So I try to address this, and sadly sometimes I say it all wrong.  Heck, I could be screwing up big time right from the get-go, maybe instead I should just shut up.

Right now Iím tired, and in pain.  I come across as an oddball, well, thatís normal for me.

So in closing, thatís me and my story and Iím sticking to it (until I find a better one)!

diane
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote diane Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2016 at 7:08am
Hello Carl, Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here with us.
I am Indonesian, one of countries with biggest moslems people.
So I notice that you have been learning islam and reading the quran, so lets have some discussion for maybe you have some confusing questions
May god make you easy to read along our discussion
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Magister Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2016 at 1:38am
Hi Carl, welcome aboard the WI forums!

Sorry to hear about your experiences in calling up mosques and they don't help you. Terrible examples of Islam, for sure. But based on your own personal research, I'm sure you knew that already.

I'm myself a convert from the US. In fact, I reverted years ago after meeting with someone from Why Islam in person and studying with them for several months (though even before that I've been studying for several years).

Insha'Allah these forums provide for you all the answers you need. Post whatever questions you have, and we'll try to answer as best we can!
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
CactusJack  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CactusJack Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2016 at 7:16am
Well, if I thought there was anything worthwhile about the image provided by the not-so-pleasant examples I encountered, I don't think I would be here.
Just saying. 
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Magister Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:55pm
I agree.
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version