Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Introductions
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Introductions  
Message Icon Topic: hi Post Reply Post New Topic
raven
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote raven Replybullet Topic: hi
    Posted: 11 March 2017 at 3:16pm
Hi I am new here, I don't know much about Islam I just started to read the Koran a little bit. It won't let me post in the member introduction area. so I have to post here. I don't know if my profile was approved yet because I signed up a few days ago. Does anyone know of any good books to read along with the Koran.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2017 at 4:10pm
Hello Raven and welcome to the forum

I would personally recommend a book on the life of Prophet Muhammad, to read with the Qur'an.

The book I would recommend is titled (In the Footsteps of the Prophet)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Footsteps-Prophet-Lessons-Life-Muhammad/dp/1522669949

It will help in understanding the sequence of events which are described in the Qur'an

The 23 years of the Prophethood of Muhammad, peace be upon him, (from the age of 40 to 63) is divided in 2 main phases: the first 13 years in Makkah, followed by 10 years in Madinah.

Welcome to the forum and please feel free to post any questions you may wish to ask about.

Peace and all the best.

raven
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote raven Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2017 at 5:59pm
Thanks so much for your help I became more interested in Islam because of the Muslim reform movement. I am also trying to do a review on the trump land documentary that michael moore did. I decided to take a break from fb for almost a year. I have been in interfaith online groups for years. I have not had the best experiences in christian online groups even though I was raised to be Christian. That book sounds interesting. Maybe I can post parts of the Koran here if I have a question.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2017 at 3:04am
Yes, sure by all means

You are most welcomed to post any question you may have

Which translation of the Qur'an are you currently reading?

raven
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote raven Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:26pm
The Qur'an translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali I got it for free in the mail from this organization. I will return it in a few months. I have kindle versions of the Koran but it is nice to have a paper version of it. I was wondering if most Muslims believed that Jesus existed as a real person. I had trouble with orthodox Christianity because the concept of human sacrifice always bothered me. But a lot of gnostic Christians don't believe Jesus existed as a real person. I don't know if it's appropriate to talk about it I don't want to offend anyone. I know a lot of orthodox Christians will get upset if you talk about certain things. I was a lurker in this one fb group where this Muslim lady did post an article she wrote about the pagan origins of Christianity. So I thought maybe some other Muslims thought Jesus didn't exist or that he was based on astrology. But if its not good to talk about it I am sorry and I will edit
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:50pm
Of course it's OK to ask any question.

Yes, Muslims do indeed believe that Jesus, peace be upon him, existed as a real person.

We also believe that he was one of God's most important prophets.

In fact, one can't be a Muslim without believe in Jesus, peace be upon him, as God's Prophet whom He sent before His final Prophet, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

And Jesus we believe preached the same message of belief in the One and Only God, the God of Abraham, Moses, Adam and all of God's prophets.

raven
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote raven Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2017 at 3:32pm
Thank you so much I really do appreciate all the help. I just don't want to be disrespectful thank you so much for all your help. I do enjoy reading the Koran a lot.
raven
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote raven Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2017 at 1:57pm
I was wondering I heard that Muslims believe that Jesus was raised up in the clouds and that he was not actually sacrificed. I have gotten further in the Koran I enjoyed reading about baby Jesus where it talks about the clay bird. which came from a gnosic gospel And I think that baby Jesus was able to talk as a baby. But maybe I misread it. I was wondering too if page 32 Juz 3 Surah 3 verse 7 is talking about gnosticism?

The verse reads He it is who has sent down to theee the book in it are verses basic or fundamental of established meaning thy are the foundation of the book others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is not of well established meaning seeking discord and searching for its hidden meanings but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah and those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say we believe in the book the whole of it is from our lord and none will grasp the message except men of understanding.

I am not sure if i quouted the verse right I am new at reading the Koran like this thanks.
ishammad  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ishammad Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:32am
Deleted.. moved to the thread "What does this mean?"

Edited by ishammad - 22 March 2017 at 7:17am
Exalted is your Lord, the Lord of might, above what they describe. And peace upon the messengers. And praise to Allah, Lord of the worlds. 37:180-182
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version