Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: nazis regimen(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Magister

From the second article I posted:

"A five-year study from Melbourne's RMIT University on child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church found that mandatory celibacy is the major precipitating risk factor for child sexual abuse."

And yet my link clearly demonstrates that clergy from the RCC are no more likely to abuse kids than any other institution or religious body, in fact less so than some.

out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

bullet Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:48am
Non-Catholic Philip Jenkins is Distinguished Professor of History and Religious Studies at Penn State. His book "Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis" was published by Oxford University Press in 1996

http://www.post-gazette.com/forum/comm/20020303edjenk03p6.asp

Exerpt:

"My research of cases over the past 20 years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination -- or indeed, than non clergy. However determined news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported."
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:26pm
I wonder how old that research is. The article I posted is very recent.
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

bullet Posted: 20 December 2017 at 6:18am

The 1st link i posted looks at evidence stretching back 50 years, the latter 20 years. Both were published around ten years ago, I don't see any reason why the findings should be any different in the last 10 years.

How is peodophilia defined in the |Islamic world ? Or is it even defined at all given how some cultures view child marriage given that 50/60 year old men marrying pre-teens is not uncommon ?

Edited by Damo808 - 20 December 2017 at 6:21am
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 23 December 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Damo808

The 1st link i posted looks at evidence stretching back 50 years, the latter 20 years. Both were published around ten years ago, I don't see any reason why the findings should be any different in the last 10 years.

How is peodophilia defined in the |Islamic world ? Or is it even defined at all given how some cultures view child marriage given that 50/60 year old men marrying pre-teens is not uncommon ?

Your data is out of date, obsolete, old news. It might've been true back then. Or it might've been disproven with newer methods or information that came to light. I don't trust old studies like these.

And I don't know how it is defined in the Muslim world, if it's even defined at all. We're not talking about legal marriages, we're talking about priests raping little boys against their will.
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

bullet Posted: 23 December 2017 at 3:31pm

Your data is out of date, obsolete, old news. It might've been true back then. Or it might've been disproven with newer methods or information that came to light. I don't trust old studies like these.

Its not out of date or obsolete. Or you would be explaining why the trend has went in the opposite direction in the last decade. That you don't trust it is your problem but you haven't cited why you don't other than it is 10 years old.

And I don't know how it is defined in the Muslim world, if it's even defined at all. We're not talking about legal marriages, we're talking about priests raping little boys against their will.

I see, so if it is a legal marriage, that makes a 60 year old marrying and having intercourse with a 10 year old child (who usually has no choice in the matter) perfectly normal ?

And that's just the point isn't it ? Yes there are pedophile priests within the RCC as there are everywhere else and in no greater ratio . The RCC on the other hand does not condone, encourage or promote sexual interaction with minors. On the other hand you have young kids marrying old men in full religious ceremonies in Islam and its normality. So spare me the fake shock horror.

Edited by Damo808 - 23 December 2017 at 3:34pm
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 3:39am

The RCC on the other hand does not condone, encourage or promote sexual interaction with minors.

Wasn't it only in the last few years that the RCC raised their minimum recommended age for consent from 10 or 12 years old to 18? Which explains why there are still Catholic nations with the age of consent as young as 12.

Interestingly, one of the countries with the HIGHEST age of consent is an Arab Muslim country at 21 years old. Anything before that is considered a minor and off-limits. I think that's just plain silly, but it sure beats some other nations like the Philippines (12 years old), Nigeria (11 years old), Japan (13 years old), Italy (14 years old), etc. - the ages of many of the victims of sexual abuse in the church which often times gets wrongly labeled as 'pedophilia' (though I'm sure the priests engaged in pedophilia as well).

And the studies are pretty old.

On the other hand you have young kids marrying old men in full religious ceremonies in Islam and its normality.

Hardly normal - I've never seen or heard of a case that involved this unless it was through some rare story on the news. Similar to how Christians in Utah marry little girls - not so common, but it happens every so often.

Also, individuals under 16 years old in the Christian United States often do get married to fully grown adults - and it's perfectly legal.

That old saying, "Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house" immediately comes to mind.

Edited by Magister - 24 December 2017 at 3:48am
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
bullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 3:44am
Happy Christmas and Happy New Year

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

bullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 9:56am

Wasn't it only in the last few years that the RCC raised their minimum recommended age for consent from 10 or 12 years old to 18? Which explains why there are still Catholic nations with the age of consent as young as 12.

12 year olds marrying around the same age base is one thing. But it has never been Catholic culture for 50 60 and 70 year old men to marrying girls that age (or younger).

Interestingly, one of the countries with the HIGHEST age of consent is an Arab Muslim country at 21 years old. Anything before that is considered a minor and off-limits.

You've found one that doesn't allow old men to marry children then. Progress.

I think that's just plain silly, but it sure beats some other nations like the Philippines (12 years old), Nigeria (11 years old), Japan (13 years old), Italy (14 years old), etc. - the ages of many of the victims of sexual abuse in the church which often times gets wrongly labeled as 'pedophilia' (though I'm sure the priests engaged in pedophilia as well).

Your point ? Because in none of these countries do we see old men marrying prepubescent kids or those slightly older in official marriage ceremonies.

And the studies are pretty old.

Research from a decade ago is considered old by you only because you don't like the findings. I'm sure i could go back over as many of your previous posts on any subject and find data you've used to present your point of view research which dates older than 10 years.. I don't think anyone else considers research of statistical data that is ten years old as being unreliable when there is nothing (from you at least) to justify why the findings should dramatically have changed in such a short time against the grain of what the previous research has shown over a sustained period of time (longer than the age of the research by a factor of X 5).

On the other hand you have young kids marrying old men in full religious ceremonies in Islam and its normality.

Hardly normal - I've never seen or heard of a case that involved this unless it was through some rare story on the news. Similar to how Christians in Utah marry little girls - not so common, but it happens every so often.

That's because you live in a country that makes such thing illegal. Not like these countries are shouting out'Get your 8yr old bride here!!!". In Utah is it common for 60 + year old men to marry prepubescent girls ? I don't think it is a much as you'd like that to be true to land any blow here... anywhere. Infact i'd go as far as saying such a thing has never occured.

Also, individuals under 16 years old in the Christian United States often do get married to fully grown adults - and it's perfectly legal.

That's just complete rubbish. You have stats there to show old menin the 50's 60's and 70's are marrying young girls under 16 ?

That old saying, "Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house" immediately comes to mind.

Just doesn't apply here though ehh. Not that any stone was thrown from me either. That would be Traveller.

Edited by Damo808 - 24 December 2017 at 9:59am
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
bullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 10:35am
Happy Christmas and Happy New Year
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 6
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version